DIY: Change Color of Guage Cluster 07-08 - Page 2 - 600RR.net
07 / 013 RR This forum is dedicated to the How to write ups for 07 / 013 RR

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 184 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 04:25 AM
Zoc
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
just use the link to ozinum.com.
they are what i used no issues, and the cheapest even inc shipping to australia. Any great service.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 184 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 11:11 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Oke thats because the voltage of the stock leds is 1.9volts ( i measured it ), so if you pick higher voltage for the leds you'll be safe :). They will shine a not so bright maybe, but that wouldn't be a problem!
post #33 of 184 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 04:04 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
hey, thanks a ton for this guide! :01_thumbu just did my 08 led color and polarization, much easier than i thought it would be. ended up going with all blue leds from oznium, i ordered twice as many as i needed just in case, planning to do white tach with blue gauges. started with the blue leds, made a mental note to not put any on the tach spots, and forgot to read the mental note. oh well, i don't mind the all blue one bit... :icon_lol:

post #34 of 184 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 09:36 PM
Knee Dragger

Does anyone know if the 07-08 gauges fit an 05-06....like if the wiring harness is the same
post #35 of 184 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 01:07 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert87 View Post
Oke thats because the voltage of the stock leds is 1.9volts ( i measured it ), so if you pick higher voltage for the leds you'll be safe :). They will shine a not so bright maybe, but that wouldn't be a problem!
The light intensity of an LED is actually specified at a certain current, not voltage. The higher the current flowing through an LED the higher the voltage drop across the LED. Since our bikes have 12V systems there are a number of LEDs in series as well a current limiting resistor and a transistor to turn them on.

Different color LEDs can have very different voltage drops. Generally, amber and red LEDs have the lowest voltage drop (often around 2V). The green, blue, and white LEDs usually have higher voltage drops (closer to 3-4V). So if the system voltage is 14V (when the bike is running) and there are 6 red LEDs in series with each dropping 2V, then you choose the value of the current limiting resistor so that you get the desired current through the string of LEDs. Having worked with similar LEDs before, I would assume that the stock amber LEDs are biased at about 25mA. Using LEDs with a higher voltage drop will require a smaller value resistor.

When I get around to changing these out in my gauges I'll trace out the circuit and share it with everyone. Unless of course someone has already done that and would like to post that info here?

Brian
post #36 of 184 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 01:19 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoc View Post
just use the link to ozinum.com.
they are what i used no issues, and the cheapest even inc shipping to australia. Any great service.
You can find these at just about any reputable online electronics parts distributors. Ones I would use are www.digikey.com, www.mouser.com, www.newark.com. Just search for LEDs with a PLCC-2 package. OSRAM is one of the better LED manufacturers.

Brian
post #37 of 184 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 11:19 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by colnpanic View Post
hey, thanks a ton for this guide! :01_thumbu just did my 08 led color and polarization, much easier than i thought it would be. ended up going with all blue leds from oznium, i ordered twice as many as i needed just in case, planning to do white tach with blue gauges. started with the blue leds, made a mental note to not put any on the tach spots, and forgot to read the mental note. oh well, i don't mind the all blue one bit... :icon_lol:

this is one sick cluster .. i wish i was skilled enough to do this. anyone want to do it for me???
post #38 of 184 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 12:21 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
back in this write up you said to just put colored gels in to change the tack color . i just did my cluster all white i assumed the tach would show up white even though the surface of it was a slight red . well to my suprise when i put it back together it is red . my question is how to get the needle to show up white ?? do you have to strip what paint it on the top of the needle off ?? any help would be appreciated .

07 600rr pearl white (sold)
07 s2000 232whp white (sold)
05 4runner black (sold )
98 prelude 287whp na (sold)
09 civic si 236whp taffy white (sold)
06 civic si cp black ( current daily )
13 cbr1000rr red (current project )
post #39 of 184 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 04:53 PM
Training Wheel Hero

I have the same question about the tach needle. Just want to make sure before I tackle it.

-keith
post #40 of 184 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 10:01 PM
Knee Dragger

yea same here. its the only thing i want to do is change the needle to white
post #41 of 184 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 02:30 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWRX View Post
The light intensity of an LED is actually specified at a certain current, not voltage. The higher the current flowing through an LED the higher the voltage drop across the LED. Since our bikes have 12V systems there are a number of LEDs in series as well a current limiting resistor and a transistor to turn them on.

Different color LEDs can have very different voltage drops. Generally, amber and red LEDs have the lowest voltage drop (often around 2V). The green, blue, and white LEDs usually have higher voltage drops (closer to 3-4V). So if the system voltage is 14V (when the bike is running) and there are 6 red LEDs in series with each dropping 2V, then you choose the value of the current limiting resistor so that you get the desired current through the string of LEDs. Having worked with similar LEDs before, I would assume that the stock amber LEDs are biased at about 25mA. Using LEDs with a higher voltage drop will require a smaller value resistor.

When I get around to changing these out in my gauges I'll trace out the circuit and share it with everyone. Unless of course someone has already done that and would like to post that info here?
You don't have to change the restrictors, you don't need the higher brightness because they'll shine very bright. I was thinking the same as you, nut then i decided to take lower brightness level and stay inside the limit of 1,9 volt of original. As long that you take same brightness level for same color you will not see a difference.

Besides that it is a parallel circuit so voltage remains the same over all leds.

Last edited by Egbert87; 09-29-2009 at 02:32 PM.
post #42 of 184 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 02:41 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3-dude View Post
I have the same question about the tach needle. Just want to make sure before I tackle it.

-keith
I have no idea how to make just the needle white i guess you have to remove the red of the needle and change amber to white.

I changed rpm scale to white and a red led on the end of rpm range: (did not forget one which is not on, that is your blinker for the HISS system).

So you also have to change the led to get a complete white needle.

Not completely white:

Hope it helps

Last edited by Egbert87; 09-29-2009 at 02:45 PM.
post #43 of 184 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 06:29 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
so for the 07+ cbrs does anyone know

1) how many leds are needed;
2) are they all the same type (pending colour);
3) a product number for said leds; and
4) a link on where to buy them.

Thanks

KORDO
'08 CBR600RR
- Puig light smoke double bubble, CRF 450 Mod w/ custom bracket, Sato Rearsets, Pazzo levers, Woodcraft Case Covers, oggy knobs, fork & swingarm sliders, PC'd gas cap, subframe and pillion pegs, garage door opener mod, gutted intake, stomp grips, caron Yosh RS-5 s/o
post #44 of 184 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 09:15 PM
Zoc
Pocketbike Racer

Kordo. I used the link to oznium in the first post.
You'll need 13 LEDs and 2 more if you are doing the blinkers.
Order more for when you cook em.
Oznium were great to deal with and like 4 or 5 days to ship here!
post #45 of 184 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 09:21 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by kordo View Post
so for the 07+ cbrs does anyone know

1) how many leds are needed;
2) are they all the same type (pending colour);
3) a product number for said leds; and
4) a link on where to buy them.

Thanks
Maybe read the whole thread
post #46 of 184 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 12:34 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Needle Color Change

*THIS WILL ONLY WORK IF YOU CHANGE ALL THE LEDS UNDER IT TO WHITE* The method i have used in the past is to scrap the orange/red paint off the back of the needle and paint it the color you want. I love white needles so i use the grey metalic sharpie to color the same area that the original color was. remember if you paint/color the entire needle it will not glow. The same concept works if you are trying to get a blue needle with white gauges, you would just paint the needle blue. Be sure not to paint the Whole needle, just the same area that paint was removed.

Soccer Mom's love me!!

Last edited by Mako; 10-03-2009 at 12:36 PM.
post #47 of 184 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 11:02 PM
Training Wheel Hero

FML, i went in to change one of the LED's and now two of them dont work. WTF, heres a pic. What could of gone wrong? And shouldnt the fuel guage be working with it plugged in?
post #48 of 184 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 01:18 AM
Zoc
Pocketbike Racer

you could of 1) fryed one with too much heat.
2) put it in backwards
3) got a bad led

my vote is number 1. i did that with mine.

1 bad one will stop 2 leds from working, they are in series.

you can test them while soldered in with a good DMM.
post #49 of 184 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 06:54 AM
awd-turbo

u could have also fried a diode (spelling on that one)
post #50 of 184 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 10:58 AM
Knee Dragger

It's hard to tell in the blurry picture, but you may even have a solder bridge shorting something out. The one LED is slightly turing on while the other isn't at all. Check both but look closely at the one that isn't even turning on.

Brian
post #51 of 184 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 09:01 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:

you got everything blue but everybody below talks about having to scrape the needle. did you scrape your needle too?
post #52 of 184 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 12:33 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

I got it with the gear indicator from www.motydesign.com but this does save money obviously, hence DIY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG8wFfLgmM4

Subscribe to my motorcycle videos on YouTube

2010 Pearl Orange CBR1000RR
2008 Pearl Orange CBR600RR
2015 Pearl Stardust White Ninja 300 ABS

Motorcycle Picture Game
post #53 of 184 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 01:57 PM
Knee Dragger

Finally tackled this minor task and gotta say that this makes me love my bike even more. Kinda went with the same look as colnpanic

Last edited by jbautista; 03-06-2010 at 06:16 PM.
post #54 of 184 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 11:55 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr1be View Post
you got everything blue but everybody below talks about having to scrape the needle. did you scrape your needle too?
honestly, i don't remember... i think i just did the leds all blue, but i sold that bike so can't check what the needle looks like for sure. going to do my new cluster and don't plan on scraping the needle. will post up pics again when finished, and let you know if i wind up scraping the paint off the needle.
post #55 of 184 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 12:30 AM
Pocketbike Racer

i did it again without doing anything to the tach needle, same colors as last one but white behind the tach this time and i can definitely see the red on the needle. i think maybe it doesn't show up on the other picture because it was completely pitch black when i took the picture, no ambient light or anything.

sadly this time i got a little dark spot around 7k on the tach, didn't notice it until i had everything back together... must have gotten an led not quite flat, dunno if it bothers me enough to take it all apart again or not.
post #56 of 184 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 03:56 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
i did it again without doing anything to the tach needle, same colors as last one but white behind the tach this time and i can definitely see the red on the needle. i think maybe it doesn't show up on the other picture because it was completely pitch black when i took the picture, no ambient light or anything.

sadly this time i got a little dark spot around 7k on the tach, didn't notice it until i had everything back together... must have gotten an led not quite flat, dunno if it bothers me enough to take it all apart again or not.
Most likely you missed the LED, i did this on mine, went back and fixed it, you will notice this on my first picture i posted of just my circuit board, its shinging amber.

Also, i used a qtip and varsol and just wiped the paint away from the bottom of the needle.
post #57 of 184 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 09:37 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79Zed28 View Post
Most likely you missed the LED, i did this on mine, went back and fixed it, you will notice this on my first picture i posted of just my circuit board, its shinging amber.

Also, i used a qtip and varsol and just wiped the paint away from the bottom of the needle.
ugh, yeah, that's exactly what i did. oh well, took it all apart again and fixed it. will probably take pics eventually, but looks the same as before but white tach and turn signals.
post #58 of 184 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 04:44 PM
Pocketbike Racer

thought i'd throw up a pic of the new colors, i left the needle red, just doesn't show up very red in the picture. i like the way it looks with it red, so don't plan on changing it... the white turn signals are maybe a little brighter than i expected, but at least i won't be riding down the road with my turn signals on (as much as usual... heh)

also, around the needle it looks kind of blue in the picture, but it is actually faint white. meh, what d'you expect from a cell phone camera.

post #59 of 184 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 01:07 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Hi all! how to remove needle? Just pull it out?
post #60 of 184 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 02:44 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by expream View Post
Hi all! how to remove needle? Just pull it out?
I was wondering that too. When I did mine, I was too scared to pull out the needle. I thought I was gonna break it or something.

- Sakeo
2008 CBR600RR - Pearl orange/black
Leo Vince Al S/O
Puig DB dark smoke windscreen
Proton flush mounts
Driven D3 grips
DDM 4500k HID
LP frame sliders
OES rearsets risers
R&G bar ends
Tripage clear IT and ADJ FE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page