Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Galfer Stainless Steel Line Installation + Speedbleeders

28K views 46 replies 32 participants last post by  tylerjoe167 
#1 ·
I used Andrewbox's instructions, but after I closed the window, I couldn't find the thread again. Also, I've added a couple pics. This was my first time doing ANYTHING to any type of brakes, so it took me about 2 hours, but I remember Andrew's thread said it should take about an hour.

Tools Needed:
Brake Lines
Ratchet Wrench (8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 14mm heads)
1 qt brake fluid (i used Motul RBF600)
Speedbleeders
plastic tubing
water bottle with water in it
rag and bucket of water

Got these from sumofallparts through the group buy; $125 front and rear

Front Lines
1. Put the bike up on stands, just to make it easier and safer

2. Removed the stock bleeder valve with 8mm wrench and replaced it with a speedbleeder on both sides. Bled the brake lines and the master cylinder.

3. Use 12mm wrench to remove brake line bolts on left and right sides.

4. Take off the bolts holding the brake lines to the front fender (8mm right side, 10mm left side)

5. Remove the bolt holding the lines just above the radiator (8mm). You can access it by turning the handlebars all the way to the right and ratcheting between the gauges and the handlebars.

6. Undo the bolt holding the lines to the master cylinder.

See less See more
Reactions: AK1
#2 ·
7. The left Galfer line (longer) goes on top of the right line, and the bolt goes up through the bottom (master cylinder-washer-line-washer-line-banjo bolt).

8. Bolt the Galfer lines to the master cylinder (14mm)

9. Route the lines through the space where the stock ones were, longer one goes on left side of the front fender, shorter on the right. Bolt in at 12.5 lb-ft torque (banjo bolt-washer-line-washer-caliper).

10. Use the bracket from the left side stock line, with or without the rubber piece, and bolt the Galfer line to the front fender (7 lb-ft)

11. Use the stock bracket w/ or w/out the rubber piece to bolt both of the lines right above the radiator.

12. Unscrew the master cylinder and bleed the brakes, with the rubber diaphragm piece out. Then, replace the cover.

Finished product:

Reactions: AK1
#3 ·
Rear Lines
1. Unbolt the banjo bolt (12mm).

2. Bleed the rear brake.

3. Undo the right-side rear hugger bolt and remove the bracket.

4. Using the stock bracket with or without the rubber piece, bolt the hugger bolt back in, holding the Galfer line in place. Tighten the new banjo bolt at 12.5 lb-ft (14mm, banjo bolt-washer-line-washer-brake)

5. Bolt the banjo bolt to the caliper (banjo bolt-washer-line-washer-caliper) and bleed the brakes, with the rubber diaphragm out of the rear brake reservoir.

You're done!

I have a question though...do I keep the rubber diaphragm in the reservoirs once I'm done bleeding? I've had them in there for a day and it seems fine.

#7 ·
Correct me if I'm wrong ,but I believe it's a little valve that opens and lets you bleed the brakes when you grab the brakes and when you let go of the brakes, the valve closes so air does not go back into the lines.

#8 · (Edited)
Thanks mate, a few questions if you don't mind;

- Is the right line secured anywhere on the front fender (like the left?).
- Have you used a different grade of brake fluid ... or the standard (dot4? I forget)
- I have read that you should bleed the banjo bolts as well, as they have lots of spaces where air can get trapped inside. Any comments?
- What is the best way to drain the old fluid before starting to dismantle? Sorry, I'm waiting for my lines to arrive, haven't even touched the brakes yet. As you can probably tell I have no practical experience at all .... just theoretical.

#11 ·
When you completely drain the lines and calipers bleeding can be frustrating. Just keep it up. Start with the longest line and slowly pump the brake lever when bleeding. Move to the other line and bleed that.
I usually bleed the master cylinder first to make sure the fluid is coming through.
It takes a while sometimes.

#10 ·
Mine seam well short, if i route them the way the standard lines went they will be holdin the weight if the front wheel lifts on openin the throttle they that short!

#12 ·
anyone have a problem with the new brake line rubbing on the upper inside of the fairing?
thanks for any help/info

Al

#13 ·
i forgot to add, only when turned all the way to the right (lock to lock)
Al

#16 ·
I do. I installed HELs, not Galfers, but I have the rubbing problem. The only thing I did different from gdpgc is that I oriented the lines at the master cylinder to run like the OEM lines, in other words they extend from the master cylinder towards the rear of the bike. Looking at the pics, gdpgc somehow managed to get his lines to extend from the master cylinder towards the front of the bike. I don't even know if I can do that on mine - the clutch cable is right there. Anybody else installed brake lines lately who cares to chime in???

#21 ·
What i did i ran one toward the front and one toward the rear... it cave in more room for the movment and wont rub as much... if anything very little.. ill take a picture tonight...

Reactions: DirtyStarfish31
#22 ·
I solved my problem too - the lines were just too long. I measured the right length, sent them back to HEL, they cut them down to the right length and now everything is groovy. Both of my lines extend from the master cylinder towards the front of the bike, underneath the throttle cable.

#24 ·
I have a question about these Gafler lines. How long are they? Individualy?

I've had mine custom made and I think that one is slightly too long, so if anyone has them stil packed or if it is not too much trouble can you please measure how long they are and post it. Thanx.

#25 ·
Just installed my Galfer lines finally, this thread helped a lot! Didn't need to zip tie my lever tho... Now time to crack a cold one and vast in my own glory... Off to the next mod!

#26 ·
What size speed bleeders do you need for the 07 (front and rear)? I found one site that says 7mm front (1.0?) but doesn't say anything about the rear, same size or different size?

Also, brake fluid. I assume stock is DOT 3, maybe DOT 4 - any cons to going to DOT 5 or the full synthetics, like need to be changed more often?

#27 ·
I received my lines from hardracing yesterday (great service) and used this to do the install. Relatively painless. Took around 2 hours including the distractions from having a couple friends around.

My only question is: what are you supposed to do with the front right side cable. There isn't a mount for it on the fender after the stock cable is removed. Has anyone come up with something creative?

#29 ·
Question about the Crush Washers

HI have done the brakes now few times with this one. First time, I got fluid in the old pads, so I changed my new pads, bleed, done, it brakes really nice.
After couple of days, I saw a small leak on the left side banjo, I said, sh..t I did not properly tighten it, so I did some more, I went a bit pass the spec torque and BAAAAAAAAMMM, broke the bolt, thanks god it did not mess up the threads.
I replaced it with another banjo and reuse the old crush washers (wrooonng), again it worked flawlessly for couple of days, after few days, leaking again.
I finally got the new crush washers, question is, the sides are different, one side is completely flat and the other one is a bit curvy. So, how does it go on?

Flat side against bolt head (curvy against line) - line - flat side against line (curvy against caliper) ?

or the opposite:

Curvy side against Bolt head (flat against line) - line - curvy side against line (flat against caliper)

Help would be much appreciate!!.

Just do not want to have to do them again, or mess up the new crush washers.

#32 · (Edited)
got my galfer lines. and i think or im pretty sure they're too FCKING long! WTF?!?!?!? the rear line stands out like a sore thumb with a kink sticking out the side of the swing arm. looking all ate up and ****.. and i bled and bled the **** out the system and still weak/mushy braking in the front. the rear brake is pretty weak too. not as strong as stock.. my front lines were also rubbing inside the fairings so i just zip tied them in the middle.

maybe i just need to be more patient and bleed more?
maybe they packed the wrong size lines even though the packaging say its for "07 CBR600r?"
im pretty pissed right now lol **** aint cheap and it aint working right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.