07 HID and relay install - 600RR.net
07 / 013 RR This forum is dedicated to the How to write ups for 07 / 013 RR

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs up 07 HID and relay install with pictures and video

Ok so heres my write up on how to install HID's and the headlight relay. The relay will be how the 06-08 R6's are like. I have a video and you will see how it works. ok lets begin.

Tools required
-Allan Key or Allan key bit for universal screwdriver
-Drill
-1" Drill bit
-Rachet and 10mm socket
-18 guage wires
-relay with relay connector (relay connector optional, i used for cleaner install)
-wire strippers
-sidecutters
-solder iron
-solder
-male/female connectors
-wire tap connectors
-Heatshrink
-Exacto Knife-
-Some time and patience

STEP 1
remove the right and left fairings. Twist off the headlight bulb covers. Use a ruler and mark the center of the covers. Bring out drill and drill bit and drill the hole.

STEP 2
pull out the stock bulbs and put in the hid bulbs. Use a Voltmeter if you dont know which is + and -. put gromet over the headlight cover hole.
Left Side

Now Hide the ballasts.
Behind Rad Cap
Behind Voltage Stabilizer Box.

Now it's time to install the relay here is a video of how it works as well as my HID high and low beam.

As you can see the HID's didn't come on when I turned my key to on position. It only comes on when the engine is fired up.

STEP 3
Here is a diagram my friend drew out for me.

Follow the diagram and wire up the relay. After you are done the relay should look like this.
http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/u...5/SV107324.jpg

STEP 4
Locate the alternater wires. They are 3 yellow wires going to that voltage stabilzer box. Undo the 10mm Bolt holding the wires. Cut the wireloom and tap into one of the yellow wires. Any of them will work.

STEP 5
Get out the 18 guage wire and add a male connector on it and plug it into the wire tap. Now loop the wire around to the other side of the bike. I looped it through the front cowl under the headlights.

STEP 6
Cut the + wire for the HID's and add a male and female connector to the wires. Add a wire tap to the - Wire.Bring over your solder iron and solder and attach the wires to the relay according to the diagram.
So attacth the wire you just looped over to the relay and add Male/Female connectors to the other wires on the relay. Attach everything up.

STEP 7
Everything should be done now. Test the bike and make sure everything works. Now zip tie all your wires, put back on your fairings and you are finished. Give yourself a pat on the back for a job well done.

This relay method is easy and cheap. Parts will cost you under 10 bucks if you dont have anything old lying around. For me i didn't have to purchase anything since i had stuff lying around. Way better than paying for a delay relay that only delays it for a few seconds. This way your headlights wont turn on unless your engine is fired up.

For more pics you can go to my photobucket http://s659.photobucket.com/albums/uu312/T12UNK5/

Last edited by T12UNK5; 03-15-2009 at 02:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 06:56 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Great write up! What type of diodes did you use? I have my HIDs for my '05 and I'm going to do this same setup.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 09:58 PM
Training Wheel Hero

whats the bulb size

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 10:08 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Nice write up. Thinking of doing a relay for my HIDs too and this definitely helps alot. Probably start doing it during the summer. Btw bulb = H7 for CBR's.

Mods:
Shogun Frame Sliders
Shogun Spool Sliders
Shogun Bar-End Sliders
4500K DDM HID (Lo-beam)
Bluhm Enterprises Brite-Lites H-7 Xenon Bulb (Hi-beam)
Akrapovic Slip-On
Tripage FE
Zero Gravity Corsa Windscreen
Red Reflective Rim-Tape
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Hey sorry for the late reply. Didn't know anyone responded on this thread till I actually came on. I'm not sure what diodes I used since my friend gave them to me when I asked him for diodes. They are just regular ones used in highschool electronics classes. I suggest just asking the electronic store what diode to use. As for the bulb size it is H7. So far every bike I came across uses H7 bulb size.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 11:30 AM
Training Wheel Hero

so i had issues with this yesterday when i tried this mod.... hopefully someone is still around to answer my question. Is there any other wire that I can tap? Since this is an alternator wire, the relay would constantly be on/off since the current that runs through it is alternating.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 10:22 PM
Knee Dragger

Anyone here with DDM HIDs have their high beam (left light) stop working, and their low beam (right light) always work? It's not the fuse, or the bulb.

Riding Since May 2012
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 10:33 PM
BOTM Winner 03/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzzy View Post
Anyone here with DDM HIDs have their high beam (left light) stop working, and their low beam (right light) always work? It's not the fuse, or the bulb.

This happened me a less than two weeks ago on my 07. I had the ballast behind the rectifier. The head from both cut out the ballast from working. Move it to the side faring where it gets air and Iv had no problems since.

So it can be it's in a place that's it's getting to hot or you need a new ballast. Good luck.

My simple build.

RIP SpdyG_AK 22 June 2014
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2014, 04:36 PM
Knee Dragger

Use DDM for the true plug and play
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page