DIY CHEAP! HRC-alike brake resevoir mod for free? - 600RR.net
07 / 013 RR This forum is dedicated to the How to write ups for 07 / 013 RR

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
DIY CHEAP! HRC-alike brake resevoir mod for free?

I rode with a group the other day and one of the riders had a 1000RR that had every mod possible including the HRC line resevoir kit which I thought looks amazing! I decided to do it myself as it something you can do yourself for cheap! Using the stock line saves $ and doesn't allow you to see inside but when you fill it up the last time you can always use a turkey baster or large plastic syringe to top it off! Or just pour it... just make sure you have a lot of water around to rinse everything off!

The Final Product...

The Steps

I've already pulled off the exhaust sheilding and cover which makes this easier.

-Remove the right rearset

-To be safe, I drained the system as I was worried about my paints life! Keep lots of h2o around just in case!

-Cut the line, I left about 3 inches, or right before the tube bend

-Put the resevoir back on the shortened line

-Now bleed it til' that fluid is ccclllleeeeaaannn! then close everything up in the back

-After making sure the line is topped off (but the resevoir is empty) pull the resevoir off and replace it with a M9 screw into the line, it should be a super tight squeeze! I used the smaller one without the head.

-Slide the stock hose clamp back onto the bolt, zip tie it to the rear line and you're done!

Last edited by RedEIKO0713; 07-05-2009 at 01:53 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to RedEIKO0713 For This Useful Post:
hjmracing (09-23-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 06:16 AM
Training Wheel Hero

a little confus
so is this a resevoir delete mod or you just hide it under the pipe?
after the "put the resevoir back to the shortened line"
I'm totally lost.....
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Sorry man! I tried to clear up the instructions! And I guess you would call this a "delete" as your only leaving a few inches of hose.
The Following User Says Thank You to RedEIKO0713 For This Useful Post:
hjmracing (09-23-2012)

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 02:22 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
your pictures are small and hard to tell. i know what your doing tho and have consider doing this for a while

to those that cant see the pix well. he just cut the oem line and plugged it. removing the reservoir box.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Exactly! You don't need big pics with a simple explanation like that! Cut-n-plug.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 05:05 PM
Moto GP Racer

dont even need to bleed it. suck out as much as you can from the reservoir. remove it. than get a water hose ready. cut where u want. plug it. than hose it off.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 05:42 PM
BOTM Winner 09/09

Nice mod man....will do it now....thanks

[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS]
[/FONT][/B]
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 05:57 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
i guess Honda over engineered the brake system by including a reservoir and ya think its not needed....why not "DELETE" the front reservoir in the same manner? not a good idea to remove either in my book....they were put on for a reason.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 06:06 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISCO600 View Post
i guess Honda over engineered the brake system by including a reservoir and ya think its not needed....why not "DELETE" the front reservoir in the same manner? not a good idea to remove either in my book....they were put on for a reason.
consider most street riders dont use the rear much or at all.

the reservoir is mainly to give it more fluids so they dont overheat and boil. since we dont use or ride the rears long enough. it ok to shorten them. since HRC does sell a similar kit.

there are rules and regulations to building a bike and selling them. we dont really need a catalyst converter as well but there is one not because honda wanted it. honda prefers to sell bikes with high hp/tq numbers and these just dont help make numbers
we dont need all those restrictions in the intake tube or the exhaust flapper but we do because of noise and not because honda wanted it
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 03:43 PM
Fast but Classy!!!

lov it

do you have any problem with the fit? rubbing, spacing, swing arm movement?

Brake Yo Self
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 04:00 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
to much work, for nothing really gained

2012 1kRR
*03 CBR600RR REPSOL.. SOLD*
*10 CBR1000RR.. SOLD*
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 04:13 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3DS2K View Post
consider most street riders dont use the rear much or at all.

the reservoir is mainly to give it more fluids so they dont overheat and boil. since we dont use or ride the rears long enough. it ok to shorten them. since HRC does sell a similar kit.

there are rules and regulations to building a bike and selling them. we dont really need a catalyst converter as well but there is one not because honda wanted it. honda prefers to sell bikes with high hp/tq numbers and these just dont help make numbers
we dont need all those restrictions in the intake tube or the exhaust flapper but we do because of noise and not because honda wanted it
i know your post is quite old, but there's more to the reservoir than just extra fluid to help prevent boil over...

its also there to help distribute water, as hydraulic fluid is EXTREMELY hygroscopic, so much so it pulls water through the brake lines, and the extra fluid assists in distributing the water around so the fluid remains usable

the reservoir is also there to allow the pistons in the calipers to expand with out running the reservoir dry....

DDM 55w 7k HID
Sliders
Black Vortex Rearsets
R&G Bar Ends
Black passenger pegs
JPR Shorty levers
Drive Systems Superlight rear sprocket +2
Drive systems front sprocket -1
EK 520MVXZ black chain
Arata Ti Slipon with Ti mid pipe
Pro-Bolts black fairing bolt kit
Versah RJL Brake pads
Flushmounts
fender eliminator
Pair Delete
Bazzaz AFM

post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 07:46 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenjin View Post
i know your post is quite old, but there's more to the reservoir than just extra fluid to help prevent boil over...

its also there to help distribute water, as hydraulic fluid is EXTREMELY hygroscopic, so much so it pulls water through the brake lines, and the extra fluid assists in distributing the water around so the fluid remains usable

the reservoir is also there to allow the pistons in the calipers to expand with out running the reservoir dry....
brake fluid does absorb water i know but i dont think most of us need that much rear braking power anyways. i would mind having it a little sloppy because right now i can lock up the rear .

run dry? sure more fluid = no top off. we are suppose to be checking our bikes over such has brake fluids before every ride but no one does. if you do than when you check your fluid lvl, u can just top of the shorten line . i dont think he one ride your gonna wear your rear brakes so low that you run dry
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 01:32 AM
Knee Dragger

I bought some clear Tygon 2075 tube to do this mod. I rarely use the rear brakes, so I think I should be ok.

- Sakeo
2008 CBR600RR - Pearl orange/black
Leo Vince Al S/O
Puig DB dark smoke windscreen
Proton flush mounts
Driven D3 grips
DDM 4500k HID
LP frame sliders
OES rearsets risers
R&G bar ends
Tripage clear IT and ADJ FE
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 09:15 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
That's crazy. I'm not to sure about doing this. It just doesn't seem right.

01 cbr600f4i - sold
06 cbr600rr - totaled rip
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 05:53 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DISCO600 View Post
I hardly use my rear brake so I don't really need that much fluid since it isn't heating up and cooling down frequently, but I ride mostly track.

To guys doing this the HRC vent cap is a very important piece, it is a VENT CAP. I originally had the vent cap with a hose clamp that was too tight. This sealed up the system so there was no way to relieve pressure when I did used the rear brake at red lights. Eventually something had to give and fluid leaked out where the tube meets the master cylinder, while under pressure from the rear brake being used. When I got home I hosed off my swing arm and wheel, tightened the hose clamp at the master cyclinder, and removed the hose clamp at the vent cap. Now I have a spring clamp to secure the vent cap, so it can VENT or relieve pressure. Just make sure the screw/clamp is not too tight or you might get a leak.

Sorry for the short story...P.S. I got every thing from motomummy, but gotta order something else as they won't ship it alone. I think it ended up being $8 for 1' of tygon 2375 and HRC vent cap, so I have extra tubing if I ever need it.

'08 GRAFFITI
The Following User Says Thank You to VT733 For This Useful Post:
hjmracing (09-23-2012)
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 01:41 AM
Training Wheel Hero

this is nice dude
The Following User Says Thank You to b.mac For This Useful Post:
hjmracing (09-23-2012)
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 01:41 AM
Training Wheel Hero

and yes i agree if HRC sells the kit than obviously its fine. And if you dont use ur rear brake much, then it doesnt matter. If you do though. then dont
The Following User Says Thank You to b.mac For This Useful Post:
hjmracing (09-23-2012)
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-23-2014, 08:58 PM
AccountSaver

I know it's been a while.

But could someone post larger pictures of it ;

I want to change the rear one of mine.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 09:05 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccountSaver View Post
I know it's been a while.

But could someone post larger pictures of it ;

I want to change the rear one of mine.
Hey man its not difficult. You need some Tygron Tubing, house clamp, and a plug. I'll snap some of mine, I used the HRC kit, but its all the same. Just make sure when you get Tygron tubing you get the legit hard chemical resistant tubing otherwise the tubing will sweat.

Anyone whose worried about this causing damage to the break caliper or anything else is retarded. HRC wouldn't have made something like this without extensive testing to ensure safety, this would be too big of a liability. Also, with this make sure you have more AIR than FLUID in the tube to a low fluid to move freely and "over flow" and back pressure when you release the lever.
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 10:48 AM
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 2,461 Times in 1,716 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 400kg View Post

Anyone whose worried about this causing damage to the break caliper or anything else is retarded.
As is anyone that doesn't know how to spell *brake*. Another mod for the sake of mods. Nothing is gained by doing this other than something to look at when you're not riding the bike.
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 03:07 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheX View Post
As is anyone that doesn't know how to spell *brake*. Another mod for the sake of mods. Nothing is gained by doing this other than something to look at when you're not riding the bike.
We all can't be perfect like you... I'll be sure to get a top notch editorial professional on my posts next time!
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 03:26 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
HRC wouldn't have made something like this without extensive testing to ensure safety, this would be too big of a liability.
Well...

HRC stuff is race stuff - and I mean that in a legal sense, like not road legal or road approved race stuff.

The DOT rules for brakes are pretty old, and come from a time when motorcycles were mostly cruisers and standard JDM bikes, and when brake systems tended to leak or break down quickly due to exposure and materials of the time. So they mandated having quite a bit of extra brake fluid attached to the system as a compromise measure.

Because modern sportbikes are so very different than standards or cruisers, the rear brake makes up much less of the overall braking power of these bikes, and when you run only on a race track, almost nothing (you only use the rear when dirt farming, i.e. off track expedition). Because of this, race bikes need only a minuscule amount of resevior space for brake fluid, for packaging, simplicity, and weight reasons.

On the street it's not really going to get you anything, but given the reasons above, doesn't really make you exposed to dangers either, given you did the mod correctly. But in absolute terms: it's not road legal, and it's not as 'safe', technically.
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 05:12 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightingChance View Post
Well...

HRC stuff is race stuff - and I mean that in a legal sense, like not road legal or road approved race stuff.

The DOT rules for brakes are pretty old, and come from a time when motorcycles were mostly cruisers and standard JDM bikes, and when brake systems tended to leak or break down quickly due to exposure and materials of the time. So they mandated having quite a bit of extra brake fluid attached to the system as a compromise measure.

Because modern sportbikes are so very different than standards or cruisers, the rear brake makes up much less of the overall braking power of these bikes, and when you run only on a race track, almost nothing (you only use the rear when dirt farming, i.e. off track expedition). Because of this, race bikes need only a minuscule amount of resevior space for brake fluid, for packaging, simplicity, and weight reasons.

On the street it's not really going to get you anything, but given the reasons above, doesn't really make you exposed to dangers either, given you did the mod correctly. But in absolute terms: it's not road legal, and it's not as 'safe', technically.
In both situation it will give you no more or no less breaking power. Also because this is used for RACING it has to have a bit more of development behind it simply because its used in racing.

Either way, its a huge liability for them to release something for street or track use to have no significant data behind it to say its not safe, they just wouldn't do that. Bottom line, you get no performance gains out of this, and there are really no negative effects from doing this, if done correctly. Its all just a show off mod.
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 05:24 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Either way, its a huge liability for them to release something for street or track use to have no significant data behind it to say its not safe, they just wouldn't do that.
No, it's not - if it's for racing, it's not beholden to any safety regulations or mandates. Lots of racing stuff is prone to breaking, it's in the nature of pushing stuff to the edge. Slick tires aren't road legal because people would be tossing themselves off all the time, but they're used in competition almost exclusively because racing teams accept that risk.

Correct, this mod doesn't do anything to braking performance. It technically does affect braking usage, as you'll heat your much smaller pool of brake fluid much faster if you stood on the rear brakes a lot (which screws with feeling at the pedal), but in racing you never do that, so it's not an issue.

Don't be confused regarding 'race use only' stuff - it isn't always more durable or robust than street stuff.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 11:25 AM
AccountSaver

Quote:
Hey man its not difficult. You need some Tygron Tubing, house clamp, and a plug. I'll snap some of mine, I used the HRC kit, but its all the same. Just make sure when you get Tygron tubing you get the legit hard chemical resistant tubing otherwise the tubing will sweat.

Anyone whose worried about this causing damage to the break caliper or anything else is retarded. HRC wouldn't have made something like this without extensive testing to ensure safety, this would be too big of a liability. Also, with this make sure you have more AIR than FLUID in the tube to a low fluid to move freely and "over flow" and back pressure when you release the lever.
Could you give me link to Tygron tubing with the chemical resistant;

Because i am from Greece,and i don't know how to ask it here.

And which are the steps to make it happen;
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 11:27 AM
AccountSaver

and what diameter i need;

Here it has too many
http://www.cmscientific.com/products...nt+Tubing+2375
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 12:58 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccountSaver View Post
and what diameter i need;

Here it has too many
http://www.cmscientific.com/products...nt+Tubing+2375
Yeah, let me put the list together. I'm at work so I'll have to get it to you later tonight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page