How to gut your stock intake 07+ (remake) - Page 2 - 600RR.net
07 / 013 RR This forum is dedicated to the How to write ups for 07 / 013 RR

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 03:19 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hey is there any sound difference? I know when my friend gutted out his triumph street triple R intake, every time you gun it, it sounded like his bike was barked... lol..

2006 CBR600rr - Motorfansclub Hannspree custom replica!!
**Mods**
Pazzo shorty levers black/red, Rizoma Zero-11 rear turn signals, Rizoma Sportline Grip with Rizoma Conical barends, Watsen Design Flushmounts,
Frame Sliders, rear stand spools, Puig Double Bubble Smoked, Custom License Relocation, Custom LED and Reverse LCD, Jardine RT-1 CF Slipon, Vortex Adj Rearsets, Vortex 520 Conv (-1/Stock), BMC airfilter, Spiegler F/R SS lines, Vesrah front pads/CL rear pads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 03:33 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by txroller View Post
I did this mod to my '07 after reading Demented's thread a couple of years ago. I had a Leo Vince can with no restrictor on before I did the mod. I had been unhappy with the performance of my bike and can point to a couple of rides with a passenger where I felt like a Moped or a 250 could blow me away. After the mod was done I also noticed the increased sound but I also felt the seat of the pants performance increase! It pulls harder in each gear up to 5th now. No more embarrassment with a lack of power while riding with a passenger anymore!. All I can figure out is that having a performance can combined with the increased volume of air from the now racing style intake has increased HP. I am running a stock air filter and no PC. My MPG has not changed. I don't have any dyno results to prove my theory but that Hayabusa that tried to pull away from me on the freeway a few months after doing this Mod was pretty surprised that I was able to keep up with him :) IMO this is hands down a must do mod for any CBR owner. My bike now feels like a bike I would not be embarrassed to take to the track.

So to recap, If you have done the mod and are disappointed that sound is the only difference you notice try adding an aftermarket can.

^ so first you were dissapointed with your power... and after gutting the intake (which will add maybe at best 2-4 hp max in the midrange) you are now almost Hyabusa-fast .

before the 4hp increase in the midrange you were embarrassed to take your bike to the track, and now you arent?

Sorry dude - I think the seat of your pants increase in performance is all in your head.. 2-4 hp is almost un noticable when these bikes can accellerate from 0 to 60 in 2.8 seconds stock.

gutting the intake, adding a full exhaust, BMC race filter, power commander, etc... will add maybe 4-6 hp at the top end make the bike accellerate from 0 to 60 in about 2.75 seconds (not too much different) when doing all these mods what is most noticable is smooth throttle response - not more power)

I am from CANADA, the land of poutine, back-bacon and GOOD BEER!!
2012 STREET BIKE OF THE YEAR

Last edited by v-tec crx; 07-08-2011 at 03:37 PM.
post #33 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 04:11 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by v-tec crx View Post
^ so first you were dissapointed with your power... and after gutting the intake (which will add maybe at best 2-4 hp max in the midrange) you are now almost Hyabusa-fast .

before the 4hp increase in the midrange you were embarrassed to take your bike to the track, and now you arent?

Sorry dude - I think the seat of your pants increase in performance is all in your head.. 2-4 hp is almost un noticable when these bikes can accellerate from 0 to 60 in 2.8 seconds stock.

gutting the intake, adding a full exhaust, BMC race filter, power commander, etc... will add maybe 4-6 hp at the top end make the bike accellerate from 0 to 60 in about 2.75 seconds (not too much different) when doing all these mods what is most noticable is smooth throttle response - not more power)
Have you done it to yours? I stand by my statements and the mod costs $0 to do (or buy a $400 Ten Kate Intake as the racing teams do). Nothing to lose.

2007 CBR600rr

too many mods to remember...

post #34 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 07:25 AM
Moto GP Racer

Ya...... I've done it to mine..... I stand by my statement knowing yours is largely exaggerated!

Mod List:

Street Mods:
-ASV levers
-red mids, subframe, exhaust cover
-OES frame sliders
-OES fork Sliders
-OES swing arm spools
-Dunlop Q2's
-Renthal Grips (Black)
-Techspec grips
-Negative 1, plus 2 sprockets (Superlight Rear)
-520 DID gold chain
-Speedo healer
-Powder coated rearsets and passenger pegs
-Front reservoir cover (600RR)
-Euro Key Red
-Heat sheeld delete
-Tripage Adjustable FE
-Repsol 100% synthetic racing oil
-Hotbodies flush mount indicators
-Side reflector delete
-Solo seat cowl (honda OEM)
-Akrapovic Muffler are mid pipe
-CF reservoir bracket
-CF rear hugger
-CF chain guard
-CF sprocket cover
-CF headlight side covers
-Woodcraft stator cover
-Woodcraft Clutch Cover
-Woodcraft Clipons
-GP Shift pattern
-Healtech Gear indicator
-DDM 55w 6000k HID's
-Low Beam Switch
-Galfer steel braided brake lines (front and rear)
-EBC HH sintered pads (front and rear)
-Rear brake resevoir delete
-T-Win intigrated brake light
-Shaved rear reservoir bracket
-Sato Racing Hooks
-Power Commander V
-BMC Air Filter
-Pair system removed
-Gutted Intake
-Custom Tune by MD motorcycles
-Carrozzeria V-Track rims
-Galfer wave rotors front and back
-Gilles Chain Adjusters
-Cox Rad Guard
-Arrow Headers
-PC Auto Tune
Updated again:

Track Only Mods:
-Optimal race plastics S(cratched and Scuffed from 60mph crash)
-Dzus fastiners (8)
-CF mirror block off plates
-Duck Tape LOL
-Bridgestone R10's
-Red reflective rim tape (on OEM rims)[/QUOTE]

Last edited by v-tec crx; 07-09-2011 at 07:30 AM.
post #35 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 08:30 AM
*BOTM Feb '11, Mar '12*

Thanked 1,191 Times in 901 Posts
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by txroller View Post
Have you done it to yours? I stand by my statements and the mod costs $0 to do (or buy a $400 Ten Kate Intake as the racing teams do). Nothing to lose.
You really can't compare oem to the ten kate. The ten kate is pretty much a straight through design with zero restriction. No bend at all.

post #36 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 04:43 PM
Pocketbike Racer

I gutted mine as well a few years back when demented first posted the thread and it wasn't a crazy increase in hp, even after a dyno tune. Certainly not enough to hang with a Busa from a 75mph roll. The Ten Kate ram air intake like sincalirider said is better because it has no bends in its structure. Air likes to take the path of least resistance.

2012 BMW S1000RR
2007 Pearl White CBR600RR
post #37 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 09:09 PM
Pocketbike Racer

I did the lazy version last week when doing the led color swap. Took out the flat pieces only. Today my tach stopped working so I had to go back and take the front end apart. While I was there I took the front round part out. Definitely the trickiest part but waiting to see if there is a bigger intake noise.

post #38 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 06:25 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
i noticed alittle noise in mine i took out those round pieces stickin into it and made sheetmetal pieces to cover up the hole. i think on my build page i have pics
post #39 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 06:27 AM
Pocketbike Racer

I'm calling b.s. on the hanging with a busa too! I have a ZX14 and a 600RR and they aren't even close.

On topic: I'm gonna have to do this mod soon, It's the first I've heard of this(new to the 600RR).

You taught me hate, I'll teach you fear!
post #40 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 12:24 AM
Knee Dragger

any word on doing this mod and riding in the rain? Ill advised? What would happen?

'07CBR600RR,'07YZ250F,'03YZ450F,'93NC30(vfr400)
post #41 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 10:15 PM
Knee Dragger

dont think it makes a diff for the rain ... rain is rain gutted or not shouldnt make a diff
post #42 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 10:47 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Injury View Post
any word on doing this mod and riding in the rain? Ill advised? What would happen?
Unrtunately I have been caught in a full out down poor for 5 straight hours with this mod.... The good thing - the rain had no affect on the bikes performance.

post #43 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 05:08 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-tec crx View Post
Unrtunately I have been caught in a full out down poor for 5 straight hours with this mod.... The good thing - the rain had no affect on the bikes performance.
Same...but only in the rain for about 3hrs...got completly soaked...no affect on bike

also was riding with a buddy that has a busa...does that make me "busa fast" as well

'08 600RR-Competition Werkes LTD F/E-Blacked out windscreen,PC III,Hyperflo exhaust,"Audi style headlights",BMC air filter,Air Intake "gutted",Roaring Toyz windscreen spikes,DDM HID 55w 5k hi/lo,Pazzo shorty levers,Driven D3 Grips,Woodcraft Frame Sliders, Smoked Headlights/3rd light,Scorpio i900,Tripage IT light,-Seats made by: Sweet Ass Seats -ask for Will tell him Zak sent you

post #44 of 81 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 03:44 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Anyone know what the pieces on the fairing stay are for? Are they just added restrictions/baffles/sound deadeners? Or are they there to support the stay. Its difficult for me to visualize without seeing it.

07 600RR

Arrow Ti/CF, Protons, Tripage Tail-light and Tag Bracket, Speigler Custom Lines, Puig DB, PCV, 1kRR Monoblocks, CL XBK5 pads...whats next?

WTB - Annitori Quickshifter
post #45 of 81 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 12:23 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rheology View Post
Anyone know what the pieces on the fairing stay are for? Are they just added restrictions/baffles/sound deadeners? Or are they there to support the stay. Its difficult for me to visualize without seeing it.
I just did this mod today and I think its just to help get the gauges lined up correctly. The intake to me looks like it was designed for horsepower and later retrofitted for the sound deadeners...which makes sense. I suspect they built the bike and tested it, saw it made too much intake noise and added those baffles to quiet it down...

07 600RR

Arrow Ti/CF, Protons, Tripage Tail-light and Tag Bracket, Speigler Custom Lines, Puig DB, PCV, 1kRR Monoblocks, CL XBK5 pads...whats next?

WTB - Annitori Quickshifter
post #46 of 81 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 04:05 PM
Training Wheel Hero

thanks for the writeup im doing this t-n

2008 cbr 600rr graffitti street
post #47 of 81 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 12:11 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by maka_RTH View Post
This how to primarily follows Demented's How To: Opening up 07-08 stock air intake
I decided to remake this because his pictures were gone, and people were wanting some pictures (including myself), so I did it and took some pictures while I was at it.

*Disclaimer* I can't be held responsible for any damage/injuries you may cause to the bike or yourself. Follow these directions at your own risk.

Ok, to begin with, I'm assuming you already know how to take off your plastics, and that you have already removed your lower/mid/upper plastics as well as the front plastic/third eye. Also, to make things a lil easier, take off these lil black plastic pieces as well:

Next, unplug the black and the white connectors on the left side, and the large connector and small connector on the right side, as shown in the picture.

Now remove the hex screw on the back of the fairing stay on each side of the air intake.

Next, remove the headlights, but undoing the bottom screw and the top screw for each one. After the headlights have been removed, grab an 8mm socket to remove the 4 bolts on the front of the stay. Once these are removed, your stay/gauge cluster will come off as one piece (lift it up off the intake).

Now time for the air intake itself. On each side, there are to 10mm bolts that hold the intake on. Bend the metal clips back so you can undo these bolts (you'll have to turn the handlebars to get the forks out of the way). Once you've taken these 4 bolts out (again, 2 on each side), straighten the handlebars so you can pull the intake straight out.

thanx for the write up

building and racing in 2013

and 2014 full power
post #48 of 81 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 02:42 PM
Training Wheel Hero

nice write up and mod... looking forward on doing it to my bike.
any way of doing it with taking off minimal amount of plastics?
tnx
post #49 of 81 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 01:28 AM
Knee Dragger

what do you use for block off plates?

Id rather sweat then blead
post #50 of 81 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 07:34 PM
August 2015 BOTM Winner / Domo

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
attached is for those who are doing it so theres no need to dremel the pieces or try and break em off just split the halves, remove the baffles and reglue with super glue:

https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=231442

if your not falling you're not tryin hard enough
post #51 of 81 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 07:39 PM
August 2015 BOTM Winner / Domo

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by philthethrillohio View Post
what do you use for block off plates?
do you mean block off plates if using a aftermarket fairing holder? tripages gauge holder and motoholders come with block off plates. If your talking about blocking the holes if using the stock fairing holder you can foam seal the inside then fill the end with a hardener silicone like used for car windows (urethane)

if your not falling you're not tryin hard enough
post #52 of 81 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 10:14 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I used a soda can and sealant.. cut it to size w tinsnips, superglued it where the foam used to be, duct taped overtop for security.. and then sealed the inside perimeter while the air duct was in halves. Also took the two protruding pieces off of the fairing stay obviously.
post #53 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 01:50 AM
Knee Dragger

Has anyone found any drawbacks to this mod yet? I'm running an OEM filter.
post #54 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 01:38 PM
Banned

Nice post....
post #55 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 01:30 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
received my new intake tube today(spare for the race bike) and decided to gut it and put it in in place of the stocker. I chose to split the intake down the middle giving me 2 halves, which was much easier IMO than trying to use a screw driver or what not. Splitting it was easy and I just used 3M super adhesive to glue it back together. I took 2 pictures from the front and rear of the intake tubes comparing the difference. Left is stock right is gutted. Havent ridden it yet as its my race bike, but once I do ill post another response.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	intake1.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	62178   Click image for larger version

Name:	intake2.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	62186  

Akrapovic Evolution Full Titanium Exhaust
Power Commander V
Auto Tune
Annitori Quickshifter
K&N Race Filter
STM Slipper Clutch
Kraus Racing Dyno Tune
Ohlins TTX36 Shock
Ohlins 30mm Cart Kit
GB Racing Covers
Vortex Rearsets
Vortex Clip Ons
Vortex Sprockets
DID 520 Chain
Brembo RCS19 Master Cylinder
Brembo Folding Levers
Brembo M4 108mm Monoblock Calipers
Brembo HP 320mm Rotors
Brembo Reservoir
Braided Lines
Sebimoto Race Fairings

#69 Team America Racing
The Following User Says Thank You to OH81KRR For This Useful Post:
knonfs (06-29-2017)
post #56 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 11:07 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Hi, i'm having trouble to remove to hex screws that attach stay tray to the air intake ( pic 3 Now remove the hex screw on the back of the fairing stay on each side of the air intake.) . How to remove those ? Do i need heat that up or something ?

Also, i kind of expect same problems with - Now time for the air intake itself. On each side, there are to 10mm bolts that hold the intake on. Bend the metal clips back so you can undo these bolts (you'll have to turn the handlebars to get the forks out of the way). Once you've taken these 4 bolts out (again, 2 on each side), straighten the handlebars so you can pull the intake straight out.

Do you guys use something special to remove those bolts ?
post #57 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 03:00 PM
Knee Dragger

I wouldn't recommend putting heat on it, as most of the stuff around it is plastic. If it's never been off before it's probably just cranked on there from the factory. Everything seems extra tight on these bikes from the factory the first time you take out a bolt, screw, etc. I like to use a hex head socket, just because you can get a lot better leverage with a ratchet than you can with a t-handle.

My only question when I read posts like this, is what was the point of Honda designing a part like this, if it is a detriment to performance? Not to start a flame war, but it just doesn't make sense to me that Honda would dump probably millions into the R&D of this intake, with a team of engineers, just to knock it all to crap with a screwdriver. Are the baffles really strictly for noise dissipation?? Or was there really a greater purpose in it's design? that's all I will say....
post #58 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 03:55 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Thanks! I'm not doing the mod. Just need to replace it

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #59 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 11:48 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalls317 View Post
My only question when I read posts like this, is what was the point of Honda designing a part like this, if it is a detriment to performance? Not to start a flame war, but it just doesn't make sense to me that Honda would dump probably millions into the R&D of this intake, with a team of engineers, just to knock it all to crap with a screwdriver. Are the baffles really strictly for noise dissipation?? Or was there really a greater purpose in it's design? that's all I will say....
I feel the same way. Unlikely they would leave any more than .25hp on the table in an air intake design. Buuuut, its possible some tree hugger in California set a noise level restriction at a certain rpm, and those baffles keep it below that level. The "bark" everyone hears may be an assumption of more power. Never seen one, but a before and after dyno run (or two) would lay the suspicion in all of us to rest. I am not excited about the idea of chopping up my Carla, but could care less about noise levels, and if any hp at all is to be gained I will get my dremel out....

2001 RC51 SP1 Silver/Red 11,500 miles
2012 CBR 600RR Black 18,500 miles. SOLD

CALCULUS ON THE FLY= What's necessary to perform to ride daily for years and not put a bike down.

Last edited by 2012blackrr; 08-30-2013 at 12:02 AM.
post #60 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 01:39 AM
Moto GP Racer

Demented did an excellent study of gutted intake vs.stock......
as you read the thread it died before forced air dyno runs could be done.......

I miss Demented!

p.s. there was some concern about rain being ingested into engine with gutted intake....consensus was that if you ride in heavy rain, do not do.... any confirmations?!

Last edited by tary preisser; 08-30-2013 at 02:15 AM. Reason: read first pg!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page