Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 05:57 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedracer View Post
a quick question,
any chance that those baffles inside the air intake are there to prevent water from being sucked into the air filter/engine when it's raining?
Seeing as the intake is basically a large funnel on the front of the bike, I'd say significant amounts of water would enter when riding in heavy rain.
And... once your stock paper filter is soaked with water it's pretty much stuffed..
Yeah, unfortunately I can't do this mod since it does rain from time to time over here and I ride daily so I have no other transportation :(

Beware the Reaper!
post #63 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 12:15 PM
Knee Dragger

I thought since an aftermarket filter is oil based it would sperate from the water that is trying to make its way in disallowing the water to penitrate the filter. Thats why they have foam oil filters for dirtbikes, to stop water from penitrating and to make it easier to clean excess dirt.

post #64 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 12:58 PM
Black & Blue

Water isn't necessarily bad for the engine, on a 4 stroke, just the filter. I used to spray water into the intakes of my Datsun to help clean up any carbon deposits on the piston and chamber.

Two strokes is a different matter completely.

Haru - 2007 Black & Blue & Silver
| TST Industries | Tripage LED | Hindle | Toce | Spiegler | PSR | KingTech | DynoJet | Factory Pro | Shorai | Driven | HealTech | SkutrNet | Zero Gravity | Honda Racing | Pit Bull |
post #65 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 01:00 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by maka_RTH View Post
Now that you have the intake out, you can see all the junk that is inside of it. I used a long flathead screwdriver and a hammer to get most of it out. A dremel comes in handy as well, especially for finishing off little bits here and there. Basically, you want to take out all the fin thingies, as well as the big rounded part towards the front of the intake (the thing with the 2 holes on the back side of it). Be careful and take your time, as I'm sure you don't want to punch a hole through your intake.

I started from the back end using my nice long screwdriver that was able to reach almost all the way through the intake. I just carefully place the screwdriver where I wanted to start breaking stuff, and carefully hit it with the hammer. I noticed that fins and whatnot aren't glued or anything to the intake, but they're sitting inside channels and grooves, so after a point they come out easily.

The front rounded part was the most annoying. I found it a little easier to get the edges of the rounded part out after I started breaking off the little channel it was sitting in. For the most part, the channel broke off flush with the intake. Just keep working at it until you've pretty much cleared it out.

Once I got everything busted out, I used the dremel to help smooth things up. I mostly just used the barrel sandpaper attachment. Some of the spots are annoying to get at, just do the best you can to clean things up in there. Once you're finished with that, make sure you get all the loose junk and bits of fiberglass out, as whatever remains will get sucked up to the filter.

The last thing I did was to break off the two pieces on the bottom of the fairing stay that stick down inside the intake. They break off quite easily, I just pushed where the arrow is towards the outside of the stay. Ideally, you'd probably want to make some kind of block off to put in the intake, but the stay should still "seal" up with the intake, as the pieces you're breaking off aren't what actually make the "seal". (I didn't make the block offs cuz I didn't have materials too. At some point I'll prolly get back in there and do them though.)

Now just put everything back together. Bolt the intake back up, and bend the metal clips back over the bolts. Put the stay back on the intake, put the headlights back on, reconnect the electrical connectors, and put your plastics back on. All done!
Was there a purpose in breaking off the two pieces on the bottom of the fairing stay that stick down inside the intake?
post #66 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 02:38 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Does this mod actually improve performance or is it just sound ?
post #67 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 12:17 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
no one has posted any conclusive evidence that this "mod" does anything.......

no dyno charts=no proof!
post #68 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 08:22 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

question, why did you remove those 2 baffle things underneath the fairing stay/gauge? is it that big of a deal to take those out or can you leave them?
post #69 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tary preisser View Post
no one has posted any conclusive evidence that this "mod" does anything.......

no dyno charts=no proof!
Being that the resonators are simply noise restriction for ram air, sitting on a dyno I would assume you could remove the complete ram assembly and have no change due to the bike sitting static and having no air forced in, correct?

Ride carefully - You are invisible.
FB | YT

I'd rather be next to a rider that can maintain a controlled wheelie than a muppet on their phone.

Current: 2012 Street Triple R
Sold: 2001 NSR150SP | 2012 CBR250R
RIP: 2003 CBR600RR

DIY:
post #70 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 10:44 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by runout234 View Post
I thought since an aftermarket filter is oil based it would sperate from the water that is trying to make its way in disallowing the water to penitrate the filter.
I would be just as concerned with oil being sucked in from an aftermarket filter. OEM paper ftw.

Ride carefully - You are invisible.
FB | YT

I'd rather be next to a rider that can maintain a controlled wheelie than a muppet on their phone.

Current: 2012 Street Triple R
Sold: 2001 NSR150SP | 2012 CBR250R
RIP: 2003 CBR600RR

DIY:
post #71 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 11:05 PM
Moto GP Racer

see if you can find Demented's original posts on this......somewhere OTF IIRC.

ps.... oil off an AM airfilter is negligible, you only load the filter with about 5-10cc of oil.

Last edited by tary preisser; 07-01-2015 at 11:07 PM. Reason: +info?
post #72 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 11:00 AM
Knee Dragger

i believe that on demented's original thread he used some sort of measuring instrument to measure the air speed and pressure right in front of the air filter with a stock intake vs. a gutted one. The difference at speed was dramatic. This mod works well in my opinion and is a must if you race the bike. I doubt it would show any difference on a dyne because on a dyno there is no ram air effect.
post #73 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 11:42 AM
Moto GP Racer

Hmmm your recall is good Rustydip, IIRC he showed a small difference(slightly higher psi ahead of A/F).

At the speeds he could get (public roads ) the mod was not deemed useful...for racing it would seem to make sense.

Still wish someone could come up with a way to dyno/document this mod....
post #74 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 05:12 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tary preisser View Post
Hmmm your recall is good Rustydip, IIRC he showed a small difference(slightly higher psi ahead of A/F).

At the speeds he could get (public roads ) the mod was not deemed useful...for racing it would seem to make sense.

Still wish someone could come up with a way to dyno/document this mod....
I may not post a lot but I've been lurking for a very long time. I remember the original thread well and did the mod after reading it. In my opinion it made a difference when racing but we're talking at speeds greater than 100 where I was trying to keep up with R6's and those damn kawi 636's on the long straights.

CMRA #709
The Following User Says Thank You to rustydip For This Useful Post:
tary preisser (08-10-2015)
post #75 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 02:16 PM
Training Wheel Hero

I know this is an old DIY, but I can't see the pics. Are there any links to pics for this mod. My intake cracked in a high side wreck. Looking for the steps to replace it and this thread will work.

Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to 4d_POWER For This Useful Post:
nawigator95 (01-13-2019)
post #76 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 01:41 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
I could completely wrong about this, but wouldn't removing those support flaps eventually change the shape of the box, thus, affecting the airbox capacity and other things?
post #77 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 05:23 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4d_POWER View Post
I know this is an old DIY, but I can't see the pics. Are there any links to pics for this mod. My intake cracked in a high side wreck. Looking for the steps to replace it and this thread will work.

Thanks!
Also hoping to find some pics of this mod. Still searching for a write up with pics
post #78 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 12:58 AM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

hacking up your bike to put it on your "mods list" is lame as ****. i wish people would understand this.
The Following User Says Thank You to wibbly For This Useful Post:
498cm3 (04-21-2019)
post #79 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 10:07 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbly View Post

hacking up your bike to put it on your "mods list" is lame as ****. i wish people would understand this.
Cool story bro. Next time provide information to back up your opinion. I wish people would understand they dont need to respond to every post when it doesnt pertain to them because they dont agree. Dont assume you know the reason why someone wants to do something and discredit the work others have done because you feel it's a hack job to put under a mod list. Further more this mod has been tested to show an improvement in air flow. Are you aware of that? When I need to install block off plates I might as well maximize air flow for when I get the bike tuned. You know they sell this exact mod, but for several hundred dollars as a replacement part... but you're right. Its just a hack job 👍
post #80 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 12:00 AM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Ok you can hack and chop at your bike for what amounts to expected error on a Dyno. Then tell us all about it.

The intake is not the power robbing part of the bike.

Maybe with your 7th ever post you can come up with something useful.
post #81 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 01:51 PM
Moto GP Racer

Newbie Rider, I'm siding with wibbly.

Please, a link to the "You know they sell this exact mod, but for several hundred dollars as a replacement part..." advert?

Gutting the intake HAS NOT been proven to do anything significant to boost performance....

However, you can IMAGINE that you've made a difference.

GL!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page