How to gut your stock intake 07+ (remake) - 600RR.net
07 / 013 RR This forum is dedicated to the How to write ups for 07 / 013 RR

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 04:10 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
How to gut your stock intake 07+ (remake)

This how to primarily follows Demented's How To: Opening up 07-08 stock air intake
I decided to remake this because his pictures were gone, and people were wanting some pictures (including myself), so I did it and took some pictures while I was at it.

*Disclaimer* I can't be held responsible for any damage/injuries you may cause to the bike or yourself. Follow these directions at your own risk.

Ok, to begin with, I'm assuming you already know how to take off your plastics, and that you have already removed your lower/mid/upper plastics as well as the front plastic/third eye. Also, to make things a lil easier, take off these lil black plastic pieces as well:

Next, unplug the black and the white connectors on the left side, and the large connector and small connector on the right side, as shown in the picture.

Now remove the hex screw on the back of the fairing stay on each side of the air intake.

Next, remove the headlights, but undoing the bottom screw and the top screw for each one. After the headlights have been removed, grab an 8mm socket to remove the 4 bolts on the front of the stay. Once these are removed, your stay/gauge cluster will come off as one piece (lift it up off the intake).

Now time for the air intake itself. On each side, there are to 10mm bolts that hold the intake on. Bend the metal clips back so you can undo these bolts (you'll have to turn the handlebars to get the forks out of the way). Once you've taken these 4 bolts out (again, 2 on each side), straighten the handlebars so you can pull the intake straight out.

-maka_RTH
'09 600RR -> R.I.P.
'08 600RR
'95 Toyota Supra NA
'13 Nissan Frontier Pro4x
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maka_RTH For This Useful Post:
CBRNoobie (10-27-2011), Randy Colton Brown (07-08-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 04:11 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Now that you have the intake out, you can see all the junk that is inside of it. I used a long flathead screwdriver and a hammer to get most of it out. A dremel comes in handy as well, especially for finishing off little bits here and there. Basically, you want to take out all the fin thingies, as well as the big rounded part towards the front of the intake (the thing with the 2 holes on the back side of it). Be careful and take your time, as I'm sure you don't want to punch a hole through your intake.

I started from the back end using my nice long screwdriver that was able to reach almost all the way through the intake. I just carefully place the screwdriver where I wanted to start breaking stuff, and carefully hit it with the hammer. I noticed that fins and whatnot aren't glued or anything to the intake, but they're sitting inside channels and grooves, so after a point they come out easily.

The front rounded part was the most annoying. I found it a little easier to get the edges of the rounded part out after I started breaking off the little channel it was sitting in. For the most part, the channel broke off flush with the intake. Just keep working at it until you've pretty much cleared it out.

Once I got everything busted out, I used the dremel to help smooth things up. I mostly just used the barrel sandpaper attachment. Some of the spots are annoying to get at, just do the best you can to clean things up in there. Once you're finished with that, make sure you get all the loose junk and bits of fiberglass out, as whatever remains will get sucked up to the filter.

The last thing I did was to break off the two pieces on the bottom of the fairing stay that stick down inside the intake. They break off quite easily, I just pushed where the arrow is towards the outside of the stay. Ideally, you'd probably want to make some kind of block off to put in the intake, but the stay should still "seal" up with the intake, as the pieces you're breaking off aren't what actually make the "seal". (I didn't make the block offs cuz I didn't have materials too. At some point I'll prolly get back in there and do them though.)

Now just put everything back together. Bolt the intake back up, and bend the metal clips back over the bolts. Put the stay back on the intake, put the headlights back on, reconnect the electrical connectors, and put your plastics back on. All done!

-maka_RTH
'09 600RR -> R.I.P.
'08 600RR
'95 Toyota Supra NA
post #3 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 04:14 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Let me know if I missed anything, this is my first how to. Hopefully the pics will help those that have been wanting to do this but haven't been sure where to start!

-maka_RTH
'09 600RR -> R.I.P.
'08 600RR
'95 Toyota Supra NA

post #4 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 08:42 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
post #5 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 03:58 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Good write up man.
Also for those that don't have a dremel, you can pull the intake apart by pushing something like a screw driver through the center line on the intake & pull out all the air restrictors
post #6 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 04:06 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldate View Post
Good write up man.
Also for those that don't have a dremel, you can pull the intake apart by pushing something like a screw driver through the center line on the intake & pull out all the air restrictors
Lol, that prolly would've been a lot easier for the big rounded part. I noticed that it'd come apart down the middle, but just wasn't sure if it'd be a bad thing to actually separate it, so I didn't really want to try.

-maka_RTH
'09 600RR -> R.I.P.
'08 600RR
'95 Toyota Supra NA
post #7 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 10:50 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Either way works fine really. I just had an extra intake from my last wreck so I decided to experiment with it to see if I could save some time by splitting it in half(cause breaking up all the fiberglass restrictors is a pain)
post #8 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 11:31 PM
Knee Dragger

thanks for finally redoing this thread. dose the bike require any mods after this?... like mapping and did you notice any changes?
(so far my bike is bone stock engine mod wise)
post #9 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 11:39 PM
World Superbike Racer

anything on 03-06?

cbr 600 RR 2004
Driven D3's
DDM HID 55w 6k high/low
CRG Adjustable Levers (Gray)

www.facebook.com/stexmne
R.I.P. Phatstud
BB Pin 23BC2D2B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
4. I believe you are born with the motorcycle fever in your blood
post #10 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

I'm sure it'd be more beneficial to tune it w/ a power commander or something, as would be the case with any performance mod. I don't have one right now though. And, I actually haven't had a chance to ride yet since doing this mod, it's been rain/snow all weekend :(. From what I've read though there's a lil more pull in the lower rpms, like between 3500-4500 or something, where stock it kinda lags. I'd imagine improved top end as well, as the air can flow straight throw. There's a link in the original thread from Demented where he tested the amount of airflow before and after.

As for 03-06 intake, I'm not sure on those. It'd be the same principle in gutting the intake(s) for the 03-06, I'm just not sure what the insides of those intakes are actually like, or if they have a bunch of junk to remove.

-maka_RTH
'09 600RR -> R.I.P.
'08 600RR
'95 Toyota Supra NA
post #11 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 12:30 PM
Knee Dragger

Good job dude, you got pretty much everything that needs to be done. Wish I had this 2 months ago!

If you love your bike, let it go.
If it comes back, you high sided.....
post #12 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 12:38 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
just did this, sick write up

Go Fast or Go Home

Bike of The Month: EVERY Month

Ya I'm a Squid. So What, Ho's Love Squids

My Build https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=234451
post #13 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 03:53 PM
Pocketbike Racer

thanks for doing a new writeup on this.
post #14 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 08:17 PM
Training Wheel Hero

a quick question,
any chance that those baffles inside the air intake are there to prevent water from being sucked into the air filter/engine when it's raining?
Seeing as the intake is basically a large funnel on the front of the bike, I'd say significant amounts of water would enter when riding in heavy rain.
And... once your stock paper filter is soaked with water it's pretty much stuffed..
post #15 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 12:47 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedracer View Post
a quick question,
any chance that those baffles inside the air intake are there to prevent water from being sucked into the air filter/engine when it's raining?
Seeing as the intake is basically a large funnel on the front of the bike, I'd say significant amounts of water would enter when riding in heavy rain.
And... once your stock paper filter is soaked with water it's pretty much stuffed..

oo man, never thought of that..... thats probly why all that stuff was there to begin with. o well, i dont ride in the rain anyways

Go Fast or Go Home

post #16 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 02:10 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Personally, I don't think it'd be too big of an issue with water getting in. Most heavier drops will fall before getting sucked all the way back to the filter, and lighter, more misty droplets would prolly make it past regardless. Besides, I think it'd really only be an issue at higher rpms at faster (like, 100+ mph) speeds, and racing intakes have nothing in them. If you're worried about the water, either don't ride in the rain, or replace the stock filter w/ an aftermarket one like BMC or K&N. I can't say for sure how it would really play out w/ water, but personally I'm not worried about it, I don't think it's an issue.

-maka_RTH
'09 600RR -> R.I.P.
'08 600RR
'95 Toyota Supra NA
post #17 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 11:36 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Im probably going to do this mod in the next couple of days, but honestly are there any opinions that illustrate the downsides?
Like bugs, turbulence, water etc.?
Just wondering thats all.
post #18 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 09:02 AM
Training Wheel Hero

So I had a look for myself today and it looks like it would flow pretty good standard. Im gonna trust Honda with their design on this one and leave it alone.

And I just thought of something else: Ever stuck your head out the window of a car at high speed? Did you find it a little hard to breathe?
post #19 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 02:45 PM
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
first thanks for redoing this

second in the last one that was done there was a piece that he made and put in the intake anybody know wat im talking about? i didnt do this then cuz i didnt wana screw anything up and now that u made it look so easy im gna do this today...

but im confused on wat the piece was that he made is for(it was something to cover a holes or something on that line)
post #20 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

When you take off your stay you'll notice that it has two plastic pieces on the bottom that stick into the intake. Demented made block-offs for those holes. It's the holes in the pic on the right, at the top:

-maka_RTH
'09 600RR -> R.I.P.
'08 600RR
'95 Toyota Supra NA
post #21 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 04:44 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
So I had a look for myself today and it looks like it would flow pretty good standard. Im gonna trust Honda with their design on this one and leave it alone.

And I just thought of something else: Ever stuck your head out the window of a car at high speed? Did you find it a little hard to breathe?

ya ur right about being hard to breath when sticking your head out the window at high speeds, but thats because your taking in waay too much air in then what the lungs need. engines dont work like that, more air the better. like what a turbo or supercharger is, its forced induction. forcing more air in therefore making more power

Go Fast or Go Home

post #22 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Also, think of aerodynamics. It may be hard to breath through your nose when you stick your head out the window at high speeds, but if you open you mouth wide it's a different story. Intakes on bikes are designed to be at a point where more air will be forced into them, rather than skipping across the bottom of you nostrils.

-maka_RTH
'09 600RR -> R.I.P.
'08 600RR
'95 Toyota Supra NA
post #23 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 06:47 PM
Knee Dragger

I have heard some great results from this mod like reducing the lag/delay in te lowest rpm's, but alas I am to hesitant to do this to my mint 08 just yet.
post #24 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 12:08 PM
Lifetime Premium

Thank you very much I actually looked up his post and figured it out it's a work in progress right now hopefully I get time to finish it tonight or tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by maka_RTH View Post
When you take off your stay you'll notice that it has two plastic pieces on the bottom that stick into the intake. Demented made block-offs for those holes. It's the holes in the pic on the right, at the top:

post #25 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 04:20 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverThruIt View Post
I have heard some great results from this mod like reducing the lag/delay in te lowest rpm's, but alas I am to hesitant to do this to my mint 08 just yet.
There's always this if it makes it worse:
http://aakritisolutions.com/CarbonIm...th=250_251_255
post #26 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 09:45 PM
Pocketbike Racer

ok i finally got my bike on the road and noticed on low rpm when i give it full throttle it makes like a growling/ sort of like v-tech on a honda/ rattleing sound. but only on low rpm's when you give it full throtle. is this normal????

Go Fast or Go Home

post #27 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 03:08 AM
Knee Dragger

Had my first ride with the gutted intake. Much less engine breaking. Slightly more throaty sound. Slightly smoother in the lower RPM. Not really any power difference just a tad smoother. Really like the difference in the engine breaking!

'07CBR600RR,'07YZ250F,'03YZ450F,'93NC30(vfr400)
post #28 of 81 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 09:06 AM
August 2015 BOTM Winner / Domo

Just wanted to comment on how ppl are noticing that their bike is more throatier. the reason for this is because the intake restrictive panels and air pocket holes are designed to be a resonator like an exhaust system or air intake systems of some cars. once you do this mod the resonator inside the ram air intake is removed hence the throatier sound and yes more air :)..its no different then when ppl put Cold air intakes/ intakes in their cars.

if your not falling you're not tryin hard enough

Last edited by cbrkp; 05-06-2011 at 09:17 AM.
post #29 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 06:19 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Awesome! Thanks for doing a remake on how to gut the intake.

2012 BMW S1000RR
2007 Pearl White CBR600RR
post #30 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 03:12 PM
Knee Dragger

I did this mod to my '07 after reading Demented's thread a couple of years ago. I had a Leo Vince can with no restrictor on before I did the mod. I had been unhappy with the performance of my bike and can point to a couple of rides with a passenger where I felt like a Moped or a 250 could blow me away. After the mod was done I also noticed the increased sound but I also felt the seat of the pants performance increase! It pulls harder in each gear up to 5th now. No more embarrassment with a lack of power while riding with a passenger anymore!. All I can figure out is that having a performance can combined with the increased volume of air from the now racing style intake has increased HP. I am running a stock air filter and no PC. My MPG has not changed. I don't have any dyno results to prove my theory but that Hayabusa that tried to pull away from me on the freeway a few months after doing this Mod was pretty surprised that I was able to keep up with him :) IMO this is hands down a must do mod for any CBR owner. My bike now feels like a bike I would not be embarrassed to take to the track.

So to recap, If you have done the mod and are disappointed that sound is the only difference you notice try adding an aftermarket can.

2007 CBR600rr

too many mods to remember...

Last edited by txroller; 07-08-2011 at 03:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page