Akrapovic Carbon end cone replacement - 600RR.net
07 / 013 RR This forum is dedicated to the How to write ups for 07 / 013 RR

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Akrapovic Carbon end cone replacement

Had an off at the track and damaged the carbon fiber end cone for my 08 Akra slip on. Purely a cosmetic deal, doesnt affect the pipe in any way but it sure affects the sleek sexiness, so I finally got around to ordering a new replacement. Here's the damage:

First thing as you can see, take the can off the bike for easy access to all the rivets. In this kit, you get a new end cone, two decals, 8 rivets, and the rubber cover to for the baffle removal screw. My first real gripe with this is that you dont get any kind of directions from Akrapovic. Granted, once I just tried to apply some sense and got going I was on the right track thankfully, but it was a little annoying to start. The CF cone doesnt come pre drilled, and it doesnt have the Akra decals on it, you have to stick those on yourself. Quick note, you dont need to take the baffle out to do this. I took the rubber cap off the old cone thinking I might need to take out the baffle but you dont have to touch it. Guess thats why they give you a new rubber cap.

The rivets you get are for replacing the smaller sized black rivets. Dont touch the larger silver ones, not necessary!

So, when I asked about this initially everyone said it would be easy. Drill the old rivets out using a bit slightly larger than the center hole and out it comes. HA. I'll say its possible that I did it incorrectly, who knows. What I do know is this: in my attempts to drill any of these little freaks, they would start spinning almost immediately and applying more pressure to try and dig into the metal would just push the rivet into the CF and start chewing that up. I broke 2 different bits trying this, and finally I got pissed and said no more. Broke out the almighty dremel with one of the orange grinder bits and got to work.

As you can see, grinding the heads off works, but the rest of the rivet stays down in there. I couldnt figure how to get it out so I just pushed them down into the insulation and out of the way. Once you grind through these little idiots here's what you're looking at:

Here's the old cone, new cone, rivets, etc. As you can see, the new cone on the left isnt drilled yet. I already put the stickers on, but they dont come like that.

Next step, figure out where to drill the new holes. With the old cone in place, I went high tech to measure approximately how far from center of the silver rivet to the center of the hole I needed to drill.

Measuring on the new cone, and of course, measure 4 times....cut once.

With these, I cut the first one, tested the rivet fit, measured the next one to cut while the rivet sat in place, and repeat. Basically, each time I would go to put in the next rivet, I put rivets in all the holes i drilled already to make sure things lined up just right. I did have to do a little adjustment sometimes on the holes, but nothing major.

And here it is with all the rivets in place

And this is actually where I'm currently stuck. The next and final step would simply be to put a rivet gun to these things, snug them down and you're done. However, I'm having issues. I borrowed a rivet gun. Watched some good old youtube and said yep this will be easy. NOPE. This damn rivet gun wont grab the rivets, and yes, I am using the correct little end cap on the rivet gun. I've taken it apart, put WD-40 through it, put a piece of teflon tape on each side of the "grabbers" to try and make the little jaws tighter when they grab the rivet stem, but nothing so far. This job should be fairly easy, but trying and failing to drill out the rivets, then grinding them off, and now this hiccup of trying to finish the project........its taken me all damn day and I'm pretty irritated with it. Maybe an expensive rivet gun would work, I really dont know. I'll figure something out, but hopefully this step by step will get you on your way and done faster than it took me. Good luck!

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Don't give a man a fish, and feed yourself. He's a grown man, fishing's not that hard.
-Ron Swanson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 09:36 PM
Back in the Day

Thanked 2,542 Times in 2,154 Posts
Feedback Score: 148 reviews
Awesome write up I have no doubt in my mind you will be able to finish the job so do not give up yet

If it doesn't challange you it won't change you
Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Thanks Moe! I have a sneaking suspicion thanks to a recommendation from a friend, that these rivets may be metric. Both rivet guns I've tried using are standard. I shot an email to the Akrapovic folks, we'll see what they say tomorrow after the holiday. That would explain the few millimeters difference and why they wont grip the rivet stems!

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Don't give a man a fish, and feed yourself. He's a grown man, fishing's not that hard.
-Ron Swanson

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 10:59 PM
Back in the Day

That is very possible man

Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

finished

Update to my post. End cone is finally riveted on. I took it to a shop and they were able to do it, no problem. I asked they guy about it and he said the rivets were probably some obscure size, and being Akrapovic, that was probably the case.

He mentioned that some of them did give him trouble, and he slightly bent the rivet stem and it worked just fine. So, when its your turn to do this and you have a regular rivet gun, try bending the stem slightly and see if that works. I never would have thought of that myself. Good luck.

-Ron Swanson
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 09:46 PM
Back in the Day

Green
That was an awesome resolution man thanks for sharing such good news

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Glad to finally bring some contribution to this great site! I've learned a ton from here from all the other good posts and I've always wanted to give back, but until now everything that I did to my bike had already been made into a post of sorts!

-Ron Swanson
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 01:59 AM
Training Wheel Hero

This thread scares me. I'm scared to go down on the brake side because I have the Arrow moto GP exhaust; you single muffler guys are lucky. Looking for a yoshimura because I'm scared to ride the bike hard now lol
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 12:48 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Where did you order the kit??
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 02:29 PM
BOTM winner 03/15

Garage
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I had the opposite rivet problem recently. My riveter and adaptors are metric and the rivets yoshimura supplied were imperial. The rivet mandrel would not go into the adaptor so I ended up sourcing some metric stainless steel rivets. PITA but all good in the end.

Glad you resolved your problem, the can looks like new again!

When drilling out the old rivets, did you punch out the centres first? Seems odd that they chewed up your CF so bad like that..,

UK '08 CBR600RR build thread: link *SOLD*
BOTM Winner 03/15

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 02:30 PM
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 1,167 Times in 990 Posts
^^It probably got chewed up from when he used the dremel to remove the rivets

2006 Honda CBR600RR Black Tribal Edition
2W1R - IceTitan
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 02:44 PM
BOTM winner 03/15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge_Jumper View Post
^^It probably got chewed up from when he used the dremel to remove the rivets

Seems it started pre dremel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_wave View Post
in my attempts to drill any of these little freaks, they would start spinning almost immediately and applying more pressure to try and dig into the metal would just push the rivet into the CF and start chewing that up

UK '08 CBR600RR build thread: link *SOLD*
BOTM Winner 03/15

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Nope, the chewed up CF was due to my attempts to drill out the center and having the rivet head spin on me. Dkid got it right.

I thought I put the info in my post originally about where I ordered it but after looking again, I did NOT. My bad. I think I went originally to their customer service or something, but here's the contact info. Hit them up at the email below. I believe it's a group email type thing that goes to all of their reps but you'll get a response. The kit is like $120. Good luck!

Phone: 949-679-3491
Fax: 949-485-6683
[email protected]
www.akrapovic.com

-Ron Swanson
The Following User Says Thank You to Green_wave For This Useful Post:
dkid (02-11-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page