Had an off at the track and damaged the carbon fiber end cone for my 08 Akra slip on. Purely a cosmetic deal, doesnt affect the pipe in any way but it sure affects the sleek sexiness, so I finally got around to ordering a new replacement. Here's the damage:
First thing as you can see, take the can off the bike for easy access to all the rivets. In this kit, you get a new end cone, two decals, 8 rivets, and the rubber cover to for the baffle removal screw. My first real gripe with this is that you dont get any kind of directions from Akrapovic. Granted, once I just tried to apply some sense and got going I was on the right track thankfully, but it was a little annoying to start. The CF cone doesnt come pre drilled, and it doesnt have the Akra decals on it, you have to stick those on yourself. Quick note, you dont need to take the baffle out to do this. I took the rubber cap off the old cone thinking I might need to take out the baffle but you dont have to touch it. Guess thats why they give you a new rubber cap.
The rivets you get are for replacing the smaller sized black rivets. Dont touch the larger silver ones, not necessary!
So, when I asked about this initially everyone said it would be easy. Drill the old rivets out using a bit slightly larger than the center hole and out it comes. HA. I'll say its possible that I did it incorrectly, who knows. What I do know is this: in my attempts to drill any of these little freaks, they would start spinning almost immediately and applying more pressure to try and dig into the metal would just push the rivet into the CF and start chewing that up. I broke 2 different bits trying this, and finally I got pissed and said no more. Broke out the almighty dremel with one of the orange grinder bits and got to work.
As you can see, grinding the heads off works, but the rest of the rivet stays down in there. I couldnt figure how to get it out so I just pushed them down into the insulation and out of the way. Once you grind through these little idiots here's what you're looking at:
Here's the old cone, new cone, rivets, etc. As you can see, the new cone on the left isnt drilled yet. I already put the stickers on, but they dont come like that.
Next step, figure out where to drill the new holes. With the old cone in place, I went high tech to measure approximately how far from center of the silver rivet to the center of the hole I needed to drill.
Measuring on the new cone, and of course, measure 4 times....cut once.
With these, I cut the first one, tested the rivet fit, measured the next one to cut while the rivet sat in place, and repeat. Basically, each time I would go to put in the next rivet, I put rivets in all the holes i drilled already to make sure things lined up just right. I did have to do a little adjustment sometimes on the holes, but nothing major.
And here it is with all the rivets in place
And this is actually where I'm currently stuck. The next and final step would simply be to put a rivet gun to these things, snug them down and you're done. However, I'm having issues. I borrowed a rivet gun. Watched some good old youtube and said yep this will be easy. NOPE. This damn rivet gun wont grab the rivets, and yes, I am using the correct little end cap on the rivet gun. I've taken it apart, put WD-40 through it, put a piece of teflon tape on each side of the "grabbers" to try and make the little jaws tighter when they grab the rivet stem, but nothing so far. This job should be fairly easy, but trying and failing to drill out the rivets, then grinding them off, and now this hiccup of trying to finish the project........its taken me all damn day and I'm pretty irritated with it. Maybe an expensive rivet gun would work, I really dont know. I'll figure something out, but hopefully this step by step will get you on your way and done faster than it took me. Good luck!