Rim Decal Installation: How to and Further Recommendations - 600RR.net
07 / 013 RR This forum is dedicated to the How to write ups for 07 / 013 RR

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Rim Decal Installation: How to and Further Recommendations

Ok so I've been asked my multiple people on more info about my rim decals so I thought I'd do a quick run through of how I did the application and what I recommend to others after my experience.

Tools I used:
Vice to hold wheel at shoulder level. This made it much easier to work on
Light
Rubbing alcohol to clean area
Phone screen protector squeegee
Microfiber towel
Tape measure
Masking tape
Recommend heating surface for better adherence (I did not do this and haven't had any problems with them sticking. Just think the adhesive would work even better if I would have heated the rim)

I ordered my decals through Eddie at rrdecals.com. Great guy to work with and communication was great. We were unsure on color so he sent me two sets of decals for about the same price of 1. I also got other decals for my bike and the price was very reasonable. I ordered from him when I did my mid decals and I made my own image as well. He put in computer time and created a design for me so he is very capable of doing decals if you are looking at other options as well. Just a little background info there.

So packaging was alright. Here are the decals when I got them and what they looked like all laid out on a table.

Fyi I went with the bright orange after receiving them. The color is off when my bike is inside with the fluorescent decals but when it's outside in the sun the color match is perfect to my 08 pearl orange.

I started with the rear rim because the rim is larger and the decals are larger as well. I started by doing half of the rim and spaced them out so the total HONDA RACING took up less than half of the rim. I cut the letters out individually so they were easier to manipulate and I could move them around for spacing with ease. I lined the decals up on the inside rib of the rim. I actually left a little gap between the top of each letter and the rib. NOTE: This is one thing I would do differently. I would rub the letter right up next to the rib for 1 reason. After install and the wheel goes around, the letters have a wave effect to them because my spacing varied slightly between the letters and rib which caused the letters to not all be in the same line. Hope that makes sense. Ask questions if I need to make that clearer.

As you can see I did half of the rim. When I did half of the rim I measured across from one end to the other to see the total length it took to place the decals. I then used this same measurement to do a reflection on the other side. That is when the two masking tape marks are for on each end. Since I could see the total area I had to play with I put the decals on to get my spacing down. I finished applying the decals on that side and this is what I got:

With one side done I did the exact same thing on the following side. I also did the same length so the large gaps were in the same location on the opposite side.

Here is a better pic of the spacing issue I had. As you can see the R or C are bumped right next to the rib and the G has a little gap. Nothing huge but it will result in a wavy look when the decals go around at low speeds when moving.

Last edited by HartwickCBR; 04-27-2014 at 03:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Mount the wheel back up after the rear wheel is finished and move on to the front. I do not have a front stand so I used a winch and lifted from the triple tree.

As I mentioned before I measured the total length it took to lay down the HONDA RACING phrase from front to back. Because the rims have the same diameter I used the same length from the rear on the front. Repeat the same process as the rear too.

Here's a good picture of the light, vice, and squeegee I used. You can also see the masking tape marks on the front and rear end of the phrase and how I cut each letter individually so I could move them to get proper spacing.

Repeat everything for the other side and you have two rims with decals. Next up just install the wheels.

End result on my bike. Pics are outdated from other bike mods but the wheels have stayed the same.

I'm really happy with how they turned out. Really sweet how it's a solid orange stripe when going down the road as well. Don't get in a hurry when doing this. It took me a whole day to do this as there are 88 letters that need to be applied. I'm sure there are easier ways especially time wise but that is how I did it. I'm willing to answer any questions, especially over anything I missed, and I also have a few more pictures if you need them. Good luck!

Last edited by HartwickCBR; 04-27-2014 at 03:17 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 03:35 PM
Lifetime Premium

Love it. Awesome, man for putting this together. Much appreciated.

That is so sick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Rizzo- View Post
hey pound town is going to take over as a saying
Keeper of the Bucket-2W1R

My build thread...
[/I]https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?p=6111490#post6111490

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Not a problem! Hopefully it will help others that have questions too.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

HartwickCBR's 08 Pearl Orange Build: Link
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 01:35 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Very nice, I would like these on my powdercoated rims, but unfortunately I thought about something that may be problematic - on your next tire change, it's probable that the new tire isn't going to weigh the same in the same spots, and the wheel weights will have to be moved. If they're stuck onto the decals, they may tear them off when next moved around (not to mention blocking them off from view.)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

That is a very valid point to make. I just got my tires changed this past week so I'll speak on this. The dealership I go to puts the weights on the inside rib. They straddle the rib in the middle of the wheel so there are no longer any wheel weights where the decals are. I dont believe I have a pic of them right now but I will get one in a few days when I'm back home. I guess it is however you or your dealership mounts and balances tires.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Here's the closest pic I have at the moment to show the new wheel weights. They are gray and on the lower left "corner" of the wheel. This doesn't cause an issue with the decals at all. I'll get other pics later.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1398683385952.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	123961  

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 12:31 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mine are the clip on style that crimp to the center seam of the rim in between the spokes. Hopefully whoever balances my new Q3s has the same style. Good call bringing it up. Wasnt thinking of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Rizzo- View Post
hey pound town is going to take over as a saying
Keeper of the Bucket-2W1R

My build thread...
[/I]https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?p=6111490#post6111490
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Yep the clips will work too. Same principle. The weights are on the middle of the rim. I was worried with how these new tires would be balanced but then the dealership said they put the weights in the middle. If this is not an option the tire would have to be spun on the rim so weight locations would be in the large gap where the lettering is. Of course other weight options could be explored too (dyna beads, ride on, etc. depending on how well they work)

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 07:21 PM
BOTM Winner Nov 2015

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ive never really been a fan of rim decals but that looks very tidy and has kinda swayed my opinion haha.

Great work!

2009 CBR600rr Build: Link
The Following User Says Thank You to Ry09rr For This Useful Post:
HartwickCBR (06-15-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page