Coolant Flush HELP! - 600RR.net
07 / 013 RR This forum is dedicated to the How to write ups for 07 / 013 RR

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Coolant Flush HELP!

Hello All. I did a coolant flush on my 07 600RR yestrday after reading the coolant flush DIY's on here as well as looking at some videos on youtube. After I flushed the system 4 times with Distilled water, I refilled it with Engine Ice. I filled the coolant up to just before the wider filler neck and then added coolant to the reserve tank right between the lower and upper level lines. With the filler cap still off, I bled the system by blipping the throttle a few times. Of course as the air bubbles came out the coolant went down, so I added more coolant again just until the filler neck. Still with the filler cap off, as the engine idled and got warmer the coolant level rose into the filler neck and started to spill out. Is there something wrong? Is the level of coolant suppose to rise as the bike gets warmer? Was I suppose to just fill the system, bleed, and put the cap back on? I'm confused. Thanks in advance for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 02:34 PM
Training Wheel Hero

It's a unit under pressure. Fill, blip throttle to clear air bubbles, and put the cap back on it. Run it till the fan kicks, and then shut er off and drain from the plug. Repeat til water drained is clear. Don't let it get to above normal temp (170-220) with the cap off.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
The Following User Says Thank You to Bubba James For This Useful Post:
UrbanRRider88 (05-06-2014)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 10:04 PM
Training Wheel Hero

if you have the cap off, then yes it will rise and may come out of the filler neck. after you get enough air out of it, then the getting hot coolant expands and has no where to go but out the top. this is when you put the cap on and let the system pressurize and do its job. after a few heat cycle and riding the bike, leaning it over to help get whatever other air is is in the system out. when it gets hot, pressure builds upand coolant will expand. air will eventually go out the drain hose to the overflow tank. then coolant will follow once the system is running optimally. the cap is self regulating, so when the bike gets warm and the coolant expands, pressure builds up it spews into the over flow. when the system cools off, it will suck back in whatever it needs. this is when you check the overflow tank for level. remember to only open the rad cap once it has cooled off enough and the hoses can be squeezed noting that there is little to no pressure.
The Following User Says Thank You to perplexed For This Useful Post:
UrbanRRider88 (05-06-2014)

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Thanks for the answers guys. Much appreciated. So should I fill the coolant back up to the filler neck while the bike is cool, cap it, and go about my business?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 12:24 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Yea that sounds good. Just remember to check the over flow bottle after the next few rides. And make sure your Temps aren't all crazy while riding.

Sent from my backyard
The Following User Says Thank You to perplexed For This Useful Post:
UrbanRRider88 (05-07-2014)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 01:55 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Yeah, best way of knowing is watching your temps while riding. Goin crazy or gettin too hot too fast or gets too hot and stays hot signifies a problem. From what you've said tho seems like you've been doin it right

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Life is best lived on two wheels

My 2010 Leyla Build
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.p...42#post6429842
The Following User Says Thank You to braden07 For This Useful Post:
UrbanRRider88 (05-07-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page