wanting a left side fork or bottom tube only for 05-06 cbr600rr - 600RR.net
03 to 06 RR parts Looking for Oem or after market parts for your 03 to 06 RR only post your thread here & best of luck

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
wanting a left side fork or bottom tube only for 05-06 cbr600rr

I have my 2006 cbr600rr and it is leaking at the axle holding knuckle so I'm looking to buy another one. I bought a whole left fork from a guy on eBay for $120.00 shipped to me and he hasn't shipped it or responded to my messages and it's been 10 days. It obviously needs to be straight and the cheaper the better. Also can't be leaking in the same spot... Looked through the for sale ads and there isn't much out there. Shipping would need to be to 46845 zip. Pm me if you have anything. Will buy the whole left side, or just the bottom tube portion. Thanks, Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 09:39 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
You may not need a new fork mate.

Chances are that it's the fork seal leaking and your just seeing the oil where it's pooling on the carrier.

However, if it really is leaking down there (I'd be really really surprised), pull the current one apart and press the tube out of the carrier, clean it up and inspect for damage. If it all looks good then throw it back together and see how you go. If there is minor pitting on the tube or carrier where they are fitted together that can be easily overcome with a bit of loctite.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

It's definitely from the knuckle. I've done my fair share of fork seals on various bikes and I replaced the fork seals on this already as they were leaking when I bought it. No rust, pitting, or damage (other than somewhere in the knuckle)... The right side is good and the left I thought I tore the seal when installing it so I changed the fork seal again and it was still leaking so I cleaned it off again and I put a plastic bag just above the knuckle and just below the knuckle. Used duct tape the fix it to the top chrome part and zip tie around the bottom black part. Made sure there was clearance for full range of motion. Went out for a ride then when I came back I looked around the outside of the tape and bag, no fluid. I cut the zip tie and pulled the bag up and there was plenty of fluid under it. So just to be 100% sure I immediately then popped of the dust seal and looked in between the tubes at the oil seal and it was dry as a bone. No oil whatsoever on the oil seal or the inner portion of the dust seal.... 100% sure it is leaking at the knuckle... Now what I never have done is pull off one of those knuckles and Honda calls it out as one part with the tube but I've heard that chromers take it off to rechrome the tube and I cannot find anywhere in any forum on how to do this. GSXR forks, yes, CBR ones, no... So the plan is, when I get a new fork, to take this one since its bad anyways and do a full tutorial and put it on here so people with the same problem can fix it instead of buying a new fork... Still in the market for a left fork... I took a picture of the bag test I did to show the local Honda shop and they verified all my information but I must have deleted the picture from my phone.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 09:17 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 16 reviews
to bad I have a right side lower fork leg
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmryan53 View Post
Dang!! Definitely need a left lower. Thanks for checking though.. Maybe someone else has a left!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 04:33 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmryan53 View Post
How much are u looking to get for it? I might pick it up as a spare.

As for removing the knuckle, I am interested to know as well. I heard they screw on, but now I'm reading they are pressed on?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 04:39 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcellflyer View Post
I heard they screw on, but now I'm reading they are pressed on?
I read one that said pressed but a "professional chromer" on one of the threads I read said they are screwed on... I'm unsure and VERY surprised no one has done a write up on it yet... Let me see if I can find that thread I read or possibly misread
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 05:21 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Here ya go.
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=223115

Appears as though they do come apart and most likely threaded...

Hoping to get a replacement fork first to keep my bike on the road then I'll be posting a how to on this process, IF successful.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 06:42 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark13018 View Post
It's definitely from the knuckle. I've done my fair share of fork seals on various bikes and I replaced the fork seals on this already as they were leaking when I bought it. No rust, pitting, or damage (other than somewhere in the knuckle)... The right side is good and the left I thought I tore the seal when installing it so I changed the fork seal again and it was still leaking so I cleaned it off again and I put a plastic bag just above the knuckle and just below the knuckle. Used duct tape the fix it to the top chrome part and zip tie around the bottom black part. Made sure there was clearance for full range of motion. Went out for a ride then when I came back I looked around the outside of the tape and bag, no fluid. I cut the zip tie and pulled the bag up and there was plenty of fluid under it. So just to be 100% sure I immediately then popped of the dust seal and looked in between the tubes at the oil seal and it was dry as a bone. No oil whatsoever on the oil seal or the inner portion of the dust seal.... 100% sure it is leaking at the knuckle... Now what I never have done is pull off one of those knuckles and Honda calls it out as one part with the tube but I've heard that chromers take it off to rechrome the tube and I cannot find anywhere in any forum on how to do this. GSXR forks, yes, CBR ones, no... So the plan is, when I get a new fork, to take this one since its bad anyways and do a full tutorial and put it on here so people with the same problem can fix it instead of buying a new fork... Still in the market for a left fork... I took a picture of the bag test I did to show the local Honda shop and they verified all my information but I must have deleted the picture from my phone.
I know, it's a funny one... I used to think they were properly stuck together until someone on here I think pointed out that I was wrong :)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Everyone is wrong from time to time . hopefully the other guy(s) were correct in stating that it is threaded.
I gotta get a new fork first then I'm giving it a shot.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-15-2013, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

So the eBay guy finally came through on my fork and I have it. I will be rebuilding it swapping the lower portion and attempting to remove, repair and reinstall the axle knuckle. Probably this weekend. I will take tons of pictures and notes, document everything and create a thread for it. Stay tuned.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Did it... Repaired the leaky fork knuckle... Here is the thread:

https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.p...37#post5540937
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page