Name ONE thing ANY government has ever done for you. - 600RR.net
Politics This forum is dedicated to any political subject you got in mind

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer
 
krisboro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 783
Thanks: 2
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Name ONE thing ANY government has ever done for you.

Thanks for your replies.
krisboro is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 10:39 PM
Pocketbike Racer
 
Hondaconda's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Passaic County, NJ
Posts: 314
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
This is a vague question. How about education through public schools and universities as well as public libraries.

2009 600RR Black/Bright Metallic Green SOLD!!
Mods:Leo Vince titanium slip-on, Shogun crash kit, Watsen Designs flushmounts, Tape Works reflective rimtape, TST Industries Integrated taillight w/ plate bracket.

Arguing on the internet is like the Special Olympics, because even if you win you're still retarded
Hondaconda is offline  
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer
 
krisboro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 783
Thanks: 2
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
What kind of "education" are you talking about?
Quote:
U.S. slipping in education rankings

* Print
* Email
* Comments
* Share
Facebook Twitter Digg it Reddit Stumble Delicious
* Receive Free UPI Newsletter

Published: Nov. 19, 2008 at 9:26 AM
Order reprints

WASHINGTON, Nov. 19 (UPI) -- The United States
is no longer the world leader in secondary education, according to the rankings of an international organization.

The Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development places the United States 18th among the 36 nations examined, USA Today reported Wednesday.

Headed to the top of the heap is South Korea where 93 percent of high school students graduate on time compared with the United States where 75 percent receive their diplomas.

The seemingly downward trend of U.S. education worries economists.

"The United States has rested on its laurels way too long," Jacob Funk Kirkegaard of the Peterson Institute for International Economics in Washington, told USA Today. "Other countries have increasingly caught up and surpassed the United States."

"We've been asleep for a good number of years as a country," says Richard Freeman, an economics professor at Harvard. "It's not that we're doing horrible. But the other guys are moving faster."
http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2008/11/...0221227104776/

Quote:
Reading: Up or Down?
U.S. education statistics show improved literacy for fourth-graders. But a new global study finds more countries jumping ahead of the United States.

By Peg Tyre | Newsweek Web Exclusive

Nov 30, 2007 | Updated: 4:00 p.m. ET Nov 30, 2007

There's been a lot of hand wringing about how the United States is falling behind in science education. Now, it looks as though America may be losing its edge in reading and literacy, too. Six years after No Child Left Behind was signed into law—and U.S. schools began throwing resources into teaching all kinds of kids to read and read well—fourth-graders in the United States are doing no better in reading than they were in 2001, according to the results of an international reading test released this week.

Fourth-grade students from 10 countries and jurisdictions—including Russia, Hong Kong, Singapore, Italy, Sweden and Canada—did better than American kids, according to the Progress in International Reading Literacy Study (PIRLS) released by Boston College. In 2001 only three countries did better than U.S. kids in reading.

Here's what's puzzling: If you believe the numbers the U.S. Department of Education churns out, the reading scores of American fourth-graders should be rising. According to the most recent National Assessment of Educational Progress scores, known as the Nation’s Report Card, fourth-grade reading scores have improved—and not just a little. Between 2001 and 2007, according to the Department of Education, reading scores for fourth-graders jumped eight points, from 213 to 221. Eighth-grade reading scores have remained flat.

Those national scores have been hailed by supporters of No Child Left Behind as evidence that the controversial federal education reform law is working. To be sure, teachers are doing their level best to comply. To make sure kids meet the state guidelines, as the law mandates, classrooms—even in kindergarten and first grade—have adopted literacy-soaked curriculums and focused more of the school day on reading instruction, often at the expense of recess, gym and even science and social studies. The PIRLS data confirms that the hours teacher spend on explicit reading instruction is higher in the United States than the international average.

So why are American kids falling behind internationally? Maybe because school can't do everything. According to a report released last week by the National Endowment for the Arts, 60 percent of 8-to-10-year-olds report reading less than 30 minutes a day for pleasure. Almost 40 percent read less than five minutes a day. At the same time, the governments in Hong Kong and Singapore, which leapfrogged over the United States' test scores between 2001 and 2007, have launched massive public awareness campaigns touting the importance of reading in school and at home.

Anyone for a trip to the library?
Find this article at http://www.newsweek.com/id/73110

Quote:
Data Show Big Dip in Migration To the U.S.

TOOLBOX
Resize
Print
E-mail
Yahoo! Buzz
ad_icon
COMMENT
106 Comments | View All
COMMENTS ARE CLOSED
Your browser's settings may be preventing you from commenting on and viewing comments about this item. See instructions for fixing the problem.
Discussion Policy
CLOSE
Comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be removed from the site. Additionally, entries that are unsigned or contain "signatures" by someone other than the actual author will be removed. Finally, we will take steps to block users who violate any of our posting standards, terms of use or privacy policies or any other policies governing this site. Please review the full rules governing commentaries and discussions. You are fully responsible for the content that you post.
Who's Blogging
Links to this article
By N.C. Aizenman
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The number of immigrants coming to the United States slowed substantially in 2007, with the nation's foreign-born population growing by only 511,000, compared with about a million a year since 2000, according to Census figures released today.

In 14 states, the foreign-born population declined, including in such traditional immigrant gateways as New Jersey and Illinois and such newer destinations as Nebraska, South Dakota and Kansas.

The Washington area's immigrant population continued to grow, but much more slowly, increasing by 25,916, compared with average yearly increases of 37,091 since 2000.

Demographers said the data, which were part of a diverse release of social, economic and housing characteristics, reflected the economic slowdown.

"I think this shows that immigrants are keeping an eye on the economy when they make their decision on whether to come or where to live in the United States," said William H. Frey, a researcher with the Brookings Institution who analyzed the numbers. "When the economy appears to be in decline -- particularly for the kind of construction, retail and service jobs that immigrants are inclined to take -- they are less attracted to us."
ad_icon

Although the slowdown coincided with a step-up in federal enforcement actions against illegal immigrants and their employers, Frey cautioned against drawing too close a connection. He noted that the influx of Asian and African immigrants slowed by more than 60 percent, compared with 36 percent for Hispanic immigrants, who are statistically more likely to be in the country illegally.

Even with the slowdown, the number of foreign-born people in the United States reached a high of 38.1 million in 2007, accounting for 12.6 percent of the population.

The Census data also offered some unexpected insight into the driving habits of U.S. residents. Despite rising gas prices, growing concern about global warming and a proliferation of carpool-only lanes, the percentage of U.S. workers who drove to their jobs on their own remained at 76 percent from 2000 to 2007. During the same period, the share who carpooled dropped from 12 percent to 10 percent because of a slight increase in the number of those working from home.

The statistics were only slightly better for the Washington region. About 68 percent of area workers drove alone in 2007 -- up from 67 percent in 2000 -- and 11 percent carpooled. (Perhaps it's not surprising, then, that a Car Free Day sponsored by the Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments yesterday drew only 5,269 pledges not to use cars.)

Mark Mather, a researcher at the District-based Population Reference Bureau, said the national aversion to carpooling was probably due to the nationwide shift toward suburban counties where housing is cheaper but access to public transportation is more limited and jobs are further away.

"If you're living outside the Beltway, you really do need a car to get around," Mather said. "So even when there's an increase in gas prices, people just don't have a lot of other options."

But Lon Anderson, spokesman for AAA Mid-Atlantic, predicted that this summer's price spike would cause a "sea change."

"Hitting that $4 at the pump was a psychological turning point," he said. "People are finally saying, 'It's time to change the kind of car I'm driving, or to take mass transit or to work from home.' . . . In the first seven months of this year, Americans have already driven 58 billion miles less compared to last year."

As in previous years, the Census data confirmed the Washington area's status as one of the wealthiest in the nation. Loudoun and Fairfax counties ranked first and second among all counties, with median household incomes of $107,207 and $105,241, respectively. Howard County ranked third, and seven other local counties were in the top 20.

The region also remains among the nation's most educated, with almost 38.3 percent of Arlington County adults over 25 holding advanced degrees, the highest share for any county in the nation.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...ail/components

I could go on with data that would shame you, with regard to literacy. There are third world nations that rank above us.

Yeah, thanks government...

Carry on...

Last edited by krisboro; 09-19-2009 at 01:12 AM.
krisboro is offline  
 
post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 01:07 AM
World Superbike Racer
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Windsor, ON
Posts: 2,003
Thanks: 19
Thanked 69 Times in 42 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Haha... another gem.

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/20...tizenship-Test

I while I'm not a huge fan of the government I do see that there's a role for it. It's uniquely suited to doing a few things that would be a conflict of interest for businesses etc.

I know some disagree with "public" education... but just because the government isn't being held accountable doesn't mean it can't work. It works in many countries around the world. If education was truly privatized I don't think as many people would be going to school... and that's a bad thing.

Last edited by pbeaul; 09-19-2009 at 01:12 AM.
pbeaul is offline  
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer
 
krisboro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 783
Thanks: 2
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Of course, non of this has been on purpose.

www.deliberatedumbingdown.com
krisboro is offline  
post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer
 
krisboro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 783
Thanks: 2
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
PBeaul, you should look into our current "outcome -based" education system and the Prussian Model. Not good.

Another fantastic site and book is available here: www.johntaylorgatto.com
krisboro is offline  
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 01:49 AM
Lifetime Premium
 
sdca7718's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chula Vista, CA
Posts: 1,649
Thanks: 1
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
This is easy for the dumb people that don't deserve to live here.

How about your freedom that is kept by the people that serve. The same freedom that allows you to make these stupid posts. If you don't like it vote, make a change. If that isn't enough for you then move the hell out, we won't miss you.
sdca7718 is offline  
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 01:58 AM
Moto GP Racer
 
R3DS2K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: California
Posts: 5,274
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
one thing the government done for me WITHOUT me asking for?
didnt ask for...
speeding tickets count?
asked for...
US citizen hehe
R3DS2K is offline  
post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 02:07 AM
Moto GP Racer
 
cling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: SoCalifornia
Posts: 3,375
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdca7718 View Post
This is easy for the dumb people that don't deserve to live here.

How about your freedom that is kept by the people that serve. The same freedom that allows you to make these stupid posts. If you don't like it vote, make a change. If that isn't enough for you then move the hell out, we won't miss you.
I am curious if you will tooting that same horn when they take your weapons and we end up like Great Britain?

You are one of those idiots that thinks its "unamerican" to question the government right? Well here's a news flash bub, questioning the government is what makes this country what it is... you cut them even a little slack and you're going to be wishing you were living in Canada, the majority of the people running this country do not have you and your well being in mind when they make decisions... its time you man up and admit that fact. ALWAYS! QUESTION! THE GOVERNMENT!... the populous needs to be part of the checks and balances system (something that is no longer practiced by the 'so called' separation of powers).
cling is offline  
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 03:23 AM
Lifetime Premium
 
sdca7718's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chula Vista, CA
Posts: 1,649
Thanks: 1
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by cling View Post
I am curious if you will tooting that same horn when they take your weapons and we end up like Great Britain?

You are one of those idiots that thinks its "unamerican" to question the government right? Well here's a news flash bub, questioning the government is what makes this country what it is... you cut them even a little slack and you're going to be wishing you were living in Canada, the majority of the people running this country do not have you and your well being in mind when they make decisions... its time you man up and admit that fact. ALWAYS! QUESTION! THE GOVERNMENT!... the populous needs to be part of the checks and balances system (something that is no longer practiced by the 'so called' separation of powers).
I don't know if you have ever read the constitution, the second amendment, or heard of the NRA, but there are plenty of reasons that will keep them from ever taking our guns. Maybe you think that we will bend over and let them have whatever they want, this is obviouly not true. They get voted into these positions and a lot of votes are from gun loving americans.

Whoever you think you are to assume that I am an idiot and try the whole talk sh!t to someone on the internet, hope it makes you feel like a bigger man. Little child, you need to grow up and get off the computer.

I question the stupid things that part of our government does, I don't believe it is all bad. If you do, like I said, make a change or stop bitching. Questioning our government is not what makes this country what it is, if you believe that you need to read a few more history books. My point I was making is that there are some things the government provides besides school that you and everyone else uses. How much of this is just taken for granted and just assumed that we should have everything. Have you ever been to any foriegn countries and seen how it is in the real world? Most americans don't know how nice they have it. Take what I write however you want, but in the end:
sdca7718 is offline  
post #11 of 61 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 03:37 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer
 
krisboro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 783
Thanks: 2
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You still didn't answer my question, Mr. Uberawesome-True-Patriot.

A real thinker amongst men...
krisboro is offline  
post #12 of 61 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 11:37 AM
Lifetime Premium
 
sdca7718's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chula Vista, CA
Posts: 1,649
Thanks: 1
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisboro View Post
You still didn't answer my question, Mr. Uberawesome-True-Patriot.

A real thinker amongst men...
This is the last post that I will make in this stupid thread.

How about you read post #7 smart one? I think I did say what the government has done, remember the 3 branches? Your freedom is protected by the government you unappreciative piece of sh!t. If that is not good enough for you then you should move your a$$ to china and see how that works out for you.
sdca7718 is offline  
post #13 of 61 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 11:48 AM
Moto GP Racer
 
LanCo Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: LanCo, PA
Posts: 4,710
Thanks: 354
Thanked 225 Times in 163 Posts
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Oh. the "freeom" we have!! Yeeaa! Like the freedom to choose what we want to eat for breakfast, or maybe where we want to drive our cars (you know, since we pay for the roads anyway) or maybe on what clothes we want to wear...


Yea, the freedom that allows us to have to ask for permission to do anything on our own properties. Want to build a shed? Permit. Want to add on to your house? Permit. Want to dig a hole in your yard? Permit. Want to pile some dirt up on your back yard? Permit.

Want to drive a car? Registration with the government, pay money. License from the government, pay money. Just make sure you don't break the laws in those cars that you drive and pay the government for in every aspect, or get this; the government will pull you over and make you pay more money for not driving the way they want you to on the roads that you payed for!! The only private thing left in that regard is insurance which will be next in their cross hairs.

We work 4 months out of the year to pay this government a thing called "income tax".. A direct, unproportioned and ILLEGAL tax. If you even think about the term itself it should make you laugh. "Income tax"; think about it, they are taxing you for making money! haha


Want to buy a sandwich? Pay tax. Gasoline? Pay tax. A house? Pay tax. A car? Pay tax. A desk? Pay tax. The list goes on and on. We pay them all this money so that they can blow it on stupid f*cking sh*t like bailing out their buddies corporations who have squandered their own money, then came crying to the government.


Wake up! "Freedom" is just a word that keeps the people under control. They're working hard to take what little we have away every day. Internet take-over is next. wait and watch.

Quote:
Harley-Davidson: The world's most efficient method of turning gasoline into noise without the harmful side effect of horsepower.
LanCo Rider is offline  
post #14 of 61 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 01:17 PM
World Superbike Racer
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Windsor, ON
Posts: 2,003
Thanks: 19
Thanked 69 Times in 42 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
If we're talking about ANY government, and not only the American government...

I think the government is instrumental is protecting its people, and doing things that might not necessarily be financially viable for corporations (and thus would never get done).

How does the government protect you?
- Military
- FDA, NHTSA, and many other safety oriented regulatory bodies.

I'm sure some would argue the benefit of these agencies, but I feel that they're for the most part necessary. Some of them push for higher standards others prevent people from hurting themselves. At the end of the day it's a balancing act, too much of anything is almost always bad...

What financially undesirable activities do governments undertake?
- NASA, many other kinds of government funded research
- Infrastructure (roads, bridges, dams, water, sewers, utilities etc) These usually get privatized after being bought/paid for with public funds.

I personally think the world of NASA... such an amazing organization. What other organization exists in the world whose ONLY purpose is to investigate the unknown, push mankind in a direction it has never been before? I personally think the US could achieve WAY more security for its money through NASA than it does from the military program. It's really hard to hate a country that is trying to advance the entire human race.

Not surprisingly, I think public education (not necessarily "public schools", but a centralized government funded program) is extremely important. You can call it wealth distribution or whatever you like, but I emphatically support a society that values education. As long as the money being put into the program isn't squandered and tangible results are being achieved I have no problem paying into such a system. I also have no problems paying extra for kids of under privileged families... regardless of how much of a deadbeat their parents are.

To an extent, I feel the same about health care. I think governments are uniquely suited to provide this service because they're not in a position where they need to turn a profit. I don't mind helping pay into a system that is for the common good of the people.

Additionally, I also feel that there's room for privatization in most of those government run programs... there's no truer oversight/accountability than bankruptcy/being out of a job. If people have to compete for patients/student/whatever people/consumers win in the end.

As for taxes etc... taxes are a part of life. Really depends on which ones etc, but overall, I see it as a cost to living in a good functioning society. Obviously the lower the better... but so long as it's not being squandered and it's being used for the betterment of the people (I.E. not lining the pockets of corporations) I don't have a problem doing my share.

Last edited by pbeaul; 09-19-2009 at 01:22 PM.
pbeaul is offline  
post #15 of 61 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 01:41 PM
AMA Supersport Racer
 
doofiep007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Clermont
Posts: 936
Thanks: 0
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdca7718 View Post
I don't know if you have ever read the constitution, the second amendment, or heard of the NRA, but there are plenty of reasons that will keep them from ever taking our guns. Maybe you think that we will bend over and let them have whatever they want, this is obviouly not true. They get voted into these positions and a lot of votes are from gun loving americans.
Watch the news much??? It happened in DC!

doofiep007 is offline  
post #16 of 61 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 09:17 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
sfoster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wilmington, Delaware
Posts: 89
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
I personally think the world of NASA... such an amazing organization. What other organization exists in the world whose ONLY purpose is to investigate the unknown, push mankind in a direction it has never been before? I personally think the US could achieve WAY more security for its money through NASA than it does from the military program.
You're welcome. My time at NASA was like living a dream.



However, I don't think you realize how closely the military and NASA work together. Most of the work done at NASA and for the military is done by contractors (Boeing, LockheedMartin, Ford Aerospace, Booz-Allen, etc.). They found out a long time ago that it's a whole lot more efficient to have contractors bid on the work and if they don't perform, they get new contractors. The military is relatively efficient at meeting its needs. The politicians, with their need to keep military production going in their home towns are who muck things up. Just look at the stink over the F22 program.

Quote:
Not surprisingly, I think public education (not necessarily "public schools", but a centralized government funded program) is extremely important. You can call it wealth distribution or whatever you like, but I emphatically support a society that values education. As long as the money being put into the program isn't squandered and tangible results are being achieved I have no problem paying into such a system. I also have no problems paying extra for kids of under privileged families... regardless of how much of a deadbeat their parents are.
The feds should have absolutely no, and I repeat, no hand the education system whatsoever. I am on the board of a local private school that provides education for kids that don't fit neatly into the "system". Most public school funding comes from taxing property owners, so the decision making should be at the local level. If I'm being taxed by my local school board, then I should have a say in how the schools are run. And I do.

Quote:
To an extent, I feel the same about health care. I think governments are uniquely suited to provide this service because they're not in a position where they need to turn a profit. I don't mind helping pay into a system that is for the common good of the people.
And you had me thinking you were a libertarian. Are you aware that many of the Blue Cross Blue Shield companies are non-profits? And for those that are "for profit", their returns are on the low side for average "for profit" firms? I would propose to you that a for profit firm will tend to improve over time whereas a government run entity has no such impetus for improvement.

Now I do agree that government action can improve things, on a limited basis. For instance, when smoking ads on tv were banned, the profitability of tobacco companies went up, because it was a level playing field for all players and none of them had to spend that money. The same could be said for health care.

A relatively simple way to reduce costs would be use the "level playing field" approach. First, set up an independent national oversight board to review malpractice cases and pull a doctor's license if warranted. Couple this with Tort reform to eliminate malpractice awards and you would cut 20-30% of medical costs immediately. Again, if you don't want to be subject to this, you could contract with a doctor personally and take your chances. I have a binding arbitration clause in all the contracts I make with customers. It keeps both of us "honest".

Second, make it illegal for States to prevent people from buying health insurance from anywhere they please. I am a huge supporter of States' rights, but the founding fathers intended that people should be able to freely trade across State borders without hinderance. This would promote the necessary competition.

Third, remove the preferential tax treatment of employer provided healthcare. Why should a union member with a cadillac health plan or a salaried worker get preferential treatment over a person who has to buy health coverage on their own? End the tax break and allow people to buy their own health coverage like they buy car insurance. I don't think there should be a home mortgage deduction either, but that's another subject. Once people start shopping, you'll see more innovative and cheaper plans.

Fourth, and I honestly don't have a good answer for this one. How do we deal with pre-existing conditions? It would be easy to say that a person should not be refused for pre-exisiting conditions. But, as has been shown in Massachusetts, people game the system. Many younger people don't pay into the system (even preferring to pay the cheaper fine), then when they have a problem, they sign up for insurance.

I've had multiple businesses and I've personally paid as much as $35,000 per month to cover employees. So I've put my money where my mouth is, so to speak. I hate the annual, "aren't you lucky your increase is only 15%" discussion.

I just get the feeling that Obama is disingenuous when I ignores tort reform and pushed a government run health program. I know privately run, many of them non-profit, organizations can do it cheaper, if given the chance.

Democracy: Two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Representative democracy: Two thousand wolves and one thousand sheep electing two wolves and a sheep who vote on what to have for dinner.
Constitutional republic: Constitution that says sheep cannot be eaten. The Supreme Court then votes 5 wolves to 4 sheep that mutton does not count as sheep.
Liberty: Well-armed sheep contesting the above votes.
sfoster is offline  
post #17 of 61 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 11:31 PM
Knee Dragger
 
HighlyFavored0420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moore, OK
Posts: 248
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
They sent me to Flight School so that I could follow my dreams of becoming an aviator. And they paid me to be there.

'08 motofans custom - crg, akra, puig db, watsens, audi, IT tail light, tripage fe & gas cap, r&g, ddm


DIY HID on/off switch with LED running lights: https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=150450
HighlyFavored0420 is offline  
post #18 of 61 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 12:22 AM
World Superbike Racer
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Windsor, ON
Posts: 2,003
Thanks: 19
Thanked 69 Times in 42 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfoster View Post
You're welcome. My time at NASA was like living a dream.
What did you used to do for NASA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfoster View Post
However, I don't think you realize how closely the military and NASA work together. Most of the work done at NASA and for the military is done by contractors (Boeing, LockheedMartin, Ford Aerospace, Booz-Allen, etc.). They found out a long time ago that it's a whole lot more efficient to have contractors bid on the work and if they don't perform, they get new contractors. The military is relatively efficient at meeting its needs. The politicians, with their need to keep military production going in their home towns are who muck things up. Just look at the stink over the F22 program.
Yea, I know there's some overlap with the military... but NASA doesn't get nearly as much funding as it should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfoster View Post
The feds should have absolutely no, and I repeat, no hand the education system whatsoever. I am on the board of a local private school that provides education for kids that don't fit neatly into the "system". Most public school funding comes from taxing property owners, so the decision making should be at the local level. If I'm being taxed by my local school board, then I should have a say in how the schools are run. And I do.
Well, I wasn't really referring solely to the American government(s), I think some basic/broad standards should be in place as well as a system to collect funds at a fairly high level... Exactly what level "runs" the system isn't that important as long as everyone has access it it. I think tax dollars should be attached to the students, and parents should be allowed to bring/send their children to any school they want. Make schools compete for students (by having excellent academic achievements, arts/music programs, athletics programs... etc) let parents decide what's best.



Well, this thread was supposed to be about Government's did for you.. seems to have been side tracked into a health care debate. Everyone knows I can't stay away from those... :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfoster View Post
And you had me thinking you were a libertarian. Are you aware that many of the Blue Cross Blue Shield companies are non-profits? And for those that are "for profit", their returns are on the low side for average "for profit" firms? I would propose to you that a for profit firm will tend to improve over time whereas a government run entity has no such impetus for improvement.
Naw, I definitely wouldn't really consider myself a libertarian... But I do agree with most of Dr. Paul's opinions... and I think he would have made an excellent president. But truthfully, some of his views are a touch too conservative for me. I'm somewhere between a true conservative and a liberal depending on the issues. By American standards that makes me a borderline communist...

I did not know that Blue Cross Blue Shields, were non-profit... but regardless of profit motive there's lots of duplication of efforts and waste when having to deal with dozens of different companies each with their own hospitals, doctors, rules etc. If you compare the overhead between government run single payer systems (such as medicare, Canadian Medicare, most European nations, etc) the overhead is significantly lower in single payer systems.

That's not to say that privatization can't be done, there are quite a few examples of private insurance such as the Netherlands, Switzerland, France... they seem to be doing pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfoster View Post
A relatively simple way to reduce costs would be use the "level playing field" approach. First, set up an independent national oversight board to review malpractice cases and pull a doctor's license if warranted. Couple this with Tort reform to eliminate malpractice awards and you would cut 20-30% of medical costs immediately. Again, if you don't want to be subject to this, you could contract with a doctor personally and take your chances. I have a binding arbitration clause in all the contracts I make with customers. It keeps both of us "honest".

Second, make it illegal for States to prevent people from buying health insurance from anywhere they please. I am a huge supporter of States' rights, but the founding fathers intended that people should be able to freely trade across State borders without hinderance. This would promote the necessary competition.

Third, remove the preferential tax treatment of employer provided healthcare. Why should a union member with a cadillac health plan or a salaried worker get preferential treatment over a person who has to buy health coverage on their own? End the tax break and allow people to buy their own health coverage like they buy car insurance. I don't think there should be a home mortgage deduction either, but that's another subject. Once people start shopping, you'll see more innovative and cheaper plans.
I agree that tort reform is a HUGE problem... I personally think the loser pays system that we have in Canada is much more effective... specially at deterring frivolous lawsuits.

Yea, I'm all for a free markets... I don't really believe in giving preferential treatment/subsidies certain people... specially if they can otherwise afford it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfoster View Post
Fourth, and I honestly don't have a good answer for this one. How do we deal with pre-existing conditions? It would be easy to say that a person should not be refused for pre-exisiting conditions. But, as has been shown in Massachusetts, people game the system. Many younger people don't pay into the system (even preferring to pay the cheaper fine), then when they have a problem, they sign up for insurance.

I've had multiple businesses and I've personally paid as much as $35,000 per month to cover employees. So I've put my money where my mouth is, so to speak. I hate the annual, "aren't you lucky your increase is only 15%" discussion.
That's one of the reason why I think a government run/mandated program tend to work out better. Everyone is covered, everyone pays... young people don't get to game the system. You pay into the system until your day comes... if your day never comes, count your blessings. If the government does it's job correctly and the projections work out you regardless of pre-existing conditions get medical care. Sure some people cost more to the system than others, but it's a numbers game... more people paying into the system the more the risk is spread out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfoster View Post
I just get the feeling that Obama is disingenuous when I ignores tort reform and pushed a government run health program. I know privately run, many of them non-profit, organizations can do it cheaper, if given the chance.
I agree with you on the Obama plan... thus far it has been fairly pathetic attempt at "reform". There have been very few legitimate steps taken at controlling the costs, which is the main problem. He's already in bed with big pharma cutting backdoor prescription drug deals... But the reality is, getting something, anything in place now is going to make the process of enhancing it/reforming in the future much easier/less painful.
pbeaul is offline  
post #19 of 61 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 12:30 AM
AMA Supersport Racer
 
DISCO600's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 593
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
gave me ther freedom of speech and to assemble and also to bear arms....no other government in the world has allowd as much......in the good old USA the Gov. is of the people, by the people, and for the people so pay attention to who ya vote for. or move to Cuba and stop whinning....this aint the best but its better than anywhere else i been....
DISCO600 is offline  
post #20 of 61 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 08:29 AM
World Superbike Racer
 
powermoose1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 2,023
Images: 63
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
National defense, public roads, zoning laws, police enforcement, removal of interstate tarriffs, liberalized trade policies leading to cheaper goods, currency.



www.LMGTFY.com --> give it a try before you ask

Thanks for driving that hybrid...and saving all the gas for me!
powermoose1 is offline  
post #21 of 61 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 03:53 PM
Moto GP Racer
 
wu_dot_com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,283
Thanks: 47
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbeaul View Post
That's one of the reason why I think a government run/mandated program tend to work out better. Everyone is covered, everyone pays...
see P I usually dont have a problem with most social program up until this point.

the fact of the matter is that not everyone pays, and not everyone pays the same for the same service. I for one pay more year after year in taxes for the same service that others pay if they are require to pay at all according to the current system. if you were to change the system so everyone pays the same, then the lesser income earner would not be able to maintain their standers of living. as a result, my direct hard work to get my self where i am now financially goes to directly supporting others who didnt work as hard as me, who makes the wrong choices, or what ever reasons they have which dont really concern me.

i wouldnt have such an issue with paying for them if i had more of a say so in how the current system is running, but unfortunately this is not the case. their votes are worth just as much as mine, and if they get their way, the government is only going to take more of my hard work to support them.

i believe life is about give and take. at the end of the day, what you give should be the same to what you take. however, i have been giving way more then i am allowed to take. as a result, i feel like being taken advantage of like many other higher earning middle class American (by higher earning i mean slightly above average).

RIP Phatty

Said whaaaa!!!
wu_dot_com is offline  
post #22 of 61 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 08:08 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
sfoster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wilmington, Delaware
Posts: 89
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
What did you used to do for NASA?
That would be me in the back of the F104 with the idiotic blue helmet. In my spare time, I would blow up aircraft as seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry5_IcE2U_s

Democracy: Two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Representative democracy: Two thousand wolves and one thousand sheep electing two wolves and a sheep who vote on what to have for dinner.
Constitutional republic: Constitution that says sheep cannot be eaten. The Supreme Court then votes 5 wolves to 4 sheep that mutton does not count as sheep.
Liberty: Well-armed sheep contesting the above votes.

Last edited by sfoster; 09-22-2009 at 08:12 PM.
sfoster is offline  
post #23 of 61 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 08:25 PM
Moto GP Racer
 
wu_dot_com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,283
Thanks: 47
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfoster View Post
That would be me in the back of the F104 with the idiotic blue helmet. In my spare time, I would blow up aircraft as seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry5_IcE2U_s
so you wear the special helmet and sit on the back of the special plane for NASA and blowing sh!t up..... that's bad a$$ right there.

RIP Phatty

Said whaaaa!!!
wu_dot_com is offline  
post #24 of 61 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 11:49 PM
Pocketbike Racer
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Pyeongtaek, South Korea
Posts: 315
Thanks: 4
Thanked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
gave me a pay check

turbodreamswrx is offline  
post #25 of 61 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 03:36 PM
Mad Chemist
 
WherzRoony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Central New York State, The Hills
Posts: 5,798
Images: 57
Thanks: 37
Thanked 83 Times in 64 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanCo Rider View Post
Oh. the "freeom" we have!! Yeeaa! Like the freedom to choose what we want to eat for breakfast, or maybe where we want to drive our cars (you know, since we pay for the roads anyway) or maybe on what clothes we want to wear...


Yea, the freedom that allows us to have to ask for permission to do anything on our own properties. Want to build a shed? Permit. Want to add on to your house? Permit. Want to dig a hole in your yard? Permit. Want to pile some dirt up on your back yard? Permit.

Want to drive a car? Registration with the government, pay money. License from the government, pay money. Just make sure you don't break the laws in those cars that you drive and pay the government for in every aspect, or get this; the government will pull you over and make you pay more money for not driving the way they want you to on the roads that you payed for!! The only private thing left in that regard is insurance which will be next in their cross hairs.

We work 4 months out of the year to pay this government a thing called "income tax".. A direct, unproportioned and ILLEGAL tax. If you even think about the term itself it should make you laugh. "Income tax"; think about it, they are taxing you for making money! haha


Want to buy a sandwich? Pay tax. Gasoline? Pay tax. A house? Pay tax. A car? Pay tax. A desk? Pay tax. The list goes on and on. We pay them all this money so that they can blow it on stupid f*cking sh*t like bailing out their buddies corporations who have squandered their own money, then came crying to the government.


Wake up! "Freedom" is just a word that keeps the people under control. They're working hard to take what little we have away every day. Internet take-over is next. wait and watch.

LanCo Rider FOR PRESIDENT 2012 !!!


Free Education is Bull Chit too. I have a very steep SCHOOL TAX bill that is due in a week and I don't nor do I plan on having any kids.

So I guess I'm paying the government back for the lousy years I spent in that prison they call a school system.

I Like My Guns Like Obama Likes His Voters: Undocumented

WherzRoony is offline  
post #26 of 61 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 05:36 PM
Testicular Fortitude
 
djacksoncbr600's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hillsboro, MO
Posts: 8,952
Thanks: 199
Thanked 122 Times in 91 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
They pay me the 1st and 15th of every month.

RIP Phatty

2007- Wrecked
2008 Orange- DD/track
2 Bro slip on
PCIII
Flush mounts
FE
Puig smoke wind screen
ASV Shorties Black
Vortex rear sets
To come:
Brake lines
Rotors
Clip-ons
HID
and a few other things.
djacksoncbr600 is offline  
post #27 of 61 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 07:51 PM
Knee Dragger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 118
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Subsidized education at a great institution FTW.
treis is offline  
post #28 of 61 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 08:19 PM
Moto GP Racer
 
tenjin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 8,768
Thanks: 36
Thanked 367 Times in 258 Posts
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
What has the gov done for me?

Well, they have employed me, allowing me to live in society.

They have done a decent (albeit not perfect) job of protecting me from outside country attacks.

They provide me with the ability to travel, when i want, where i want, because i want, any where in our country with out question, or reason. - Yes, i have to pay taxes, and registration fees and such, i know, some say "thats not freedom" sure it is, your more than welcome to take your bicycle that requires no roadwork, and ride where ever you want, your welcome to walk where ever you want, no one says a car is mandatory, there by its a luxury, that you must pay to use.

They have provided me with some amount of education, not perfect education, but a hell of a lot better than if they provided none, I'm sure.

They have created laws that make it possible for me to work in a reasonable work environment with out fear of slavery type work.

They have allowed me, tho perhaps questioned me, to carry arms at will, sure with some regulation, but nothing that's intolerable, for me any ways.

They allow me to post on this website, with out fear of repercussion, regardless of what i say

they allow me to use the internet, in a uninhibited way, so long as it does not violate others peoples rights, be it copyrights, or civil rights.

they let me chose what motorcycle i ride, when i ride it, and how i ride it, yes, riding above the limits of the roadways can cause me to have to pay fines, but that would be my choice to put my self there.


DDM 55w 7k HID
Sliders
Black Vortex Rearsets
R&G Bar Ends
Black passenger pegs
JPR Shorty levers
Drive Systems Superlight rear sprocket +2
Drive systems front sprocket -1
EK 520MVXZ black chain
Arata Ti Slipon with Ti mid pipe
Pro-Bolts black fairing bolt kit
Versah RJL Brake pads
Flushmounts
fender eliminator
Pair Delete
Bazzaz AFM

tenjin is offline  
post #29 of 61 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 08:21 PM
Knee Dragger
 
steve0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Chicago Burbs
Posts: 148
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If you don't like it, rise up. Do something about it, or GTFO.
steve0 is offline  
post #30 of 61 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 09:33 PM
Knee Dragger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 118
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Don't forget tang. No nasa=no tang.
treis is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome