California Stock Muffler Bill Signed - 600RR.net
Politics This forum is dedicated to any political subject you got in mind

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
California Stock Muffler Bill Signed

California Senate Bill SB435 signed into law by California governor, affects all motorcycles and aftermarket exhausts manufactured for these motorcycles after Jan 1, 2013
September 29, 2010

California Senate Bill SB435, also known as the “Motorcycle Anti-Tampering Act”, has been signed into law by California governer Arnold Schwarzenegger. This law now gives police officers the right to cite motorcyclists riding in California for non-stock exhaust system violations under the California Vehicle Code. The new law makes use of a seldom-enforced 27-year-old federal regulation that prohibits the replacement of the stock exhaust with any unit not officially approved by the EPA. Ever since 1983, every stock motorcycle system is required to have the EPA approval and federal noise regulation wording stamped somewhere on its outer surface that certifies compliance.

Under this new law, motorcyclists pulled over for other infractions can also be cited for having a non-stock exhaust system (or an illegally modified stock exhaust) on their bike. The first violation could result in a fine of $50-$100 if the exhaust is not returned to stock; subsequent violations will results in fines of $100-$250. Part of the new law states that any motorcycle exceeding the federal 80dB sound limit will also be in violation; however, police have no standardized tool nor procedure for actually measuring sound levels in the field, and enforcement will most likely be based upon whether the system has the EPA stamp readily visible (granted, if the exhaust is abnormally loud, most jurisdictions will back the officer’s opinion that the exhaust noise is excessive, which can fall under the same federal statute). The law technically only affects 2013 and later model motorcycles and aftermarket parts manufactured for those motorcycles.
"The noise pollution caused by illegally modified motorcycle exhaust systems is a major quality of life issue across the state," SB 435's author, Sen. Fran Pavley (D-Santa Monica), said in a news release issued Monday. "Basic common sense and decency dictates that when a motorcycle drives by and sets off every car alarm on the street, that is too loud.” The SB 435 that was signed into law is actually a watered-down version of the original bill that Pavley had sought to get passed; that bill intended to require bi-annual smog checks for motorcycles, despite the fact that there is no way for smog check stations across California to run a motorcycle on the dyno drum used for car tests. That bill was quickly killed off before it reached the California Senate floor.
The California law is similar to an ordinance passed by the city of Denver three years ago that requires all motorcycles to have mufflers with the EPA stamp “plainly visible”. The New York City Council tried to pass a similar ordinance back in December of ’08, but it was quickly “tabled for further review” after objections were voiced from numerous fronts.

Im not even from California and that pisses me off! All the retarded ricer burners running around cali with their coffee can mufflers on and motorcycles are the real problem.... thats a load of sh*t.

2010 Hypermotard 796
2007 CBR600rr Street
2006 CBR600rr Track

"Dam you must be fast, cause you were hauling ass when i passed you"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 02:50 AM
Demented

Not like it's anything new. Aftermarket exhausts have always been for offroad use only. Now cops don't need another reason to pull someone over to give them a ticket for an illegal exhaust.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

ya just another way to screw people i guess. plus theres nothing else going on with our economy and everything else right now and motorcycle exhaust are definitely a huge problem right now haha i f**king love our government.

2010 Hypermotard 796
2007 CBR600rr Street
2006 CBR600rr Track

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 02:56 AM
Demented

I don't see how it's screwing with anyone. Police just now have a way of actually enforcing a law that has been in effect, and is in effect in all states.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

They dont need another reason to pull us over. And the government doesnt need anymore control over the people, they need to be worrying about a lot bigger issues.

2010 Hypermotard 796
2007 CBR600rr Street
2006 CBR600rr Track

post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 03:08 AM
Demented

It's funny how everyone always bitches when the police don't enforce laws when it doesn't affect them, but when a law is passed so the police can enforce something that has been in place for dozens of years, people get pissed off and say the government is taking control of things.

Why do you think all aftermarket items that are not DOT approved say "for race/offroad use only"?
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 04:30 AM
*BOTM Feb '11, Mar '12*

Thanked 1,191 Times in 901 Posts
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
I still say its complete horse sh1t as the number one contributor to "motorcycle noise pollution" are Harley's and similar cruisers running open pipes. We just get tangled with them. I know my Leo says for off road purposes but you can't tell me that when I cruise on my way to work that you'll here my bike over a Vtwin. I honestly can't believe Arnold signed the bill, he's an avid rider himself. Thanks Harley fags for ruining it for the rest of us.

post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 08:09 AM
Back in the Day

Thanked 2,544 Times in 2,156 Posts
Feedback Score: 148 reviews
Harleys are ridden buy heavy hitters ( rich and famous ) so they wont touch them

If it doesn't challange you it won't change you
Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 09:51 AM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
One thing no one has mentioned here yet is that this only only applies to motorcycles manufactured after Jan 1st of 2013. So lets say this is the year 2014 and you buy a used 2012 motorcycle, you can not be penalized for having your bike eqiupped with an aftermarket exhaust under this law.

This is probably give a definate bump to the used market. My personal feelings about this is that it sucks. But I understand why it's being done, there are some bikes that are way to loud and they have basically ruined it for everyone else. In my neck of Florida the harley crowd are the worst offenders as far as noise goes. There are some loud sportbikes as well, I have heard a few loud ones going up US1 when im standing in my drive way. That is a bit to much. Regardless, its going to drive up the cost which i feel is the worst part.

Give it 20 years, we'll be riding electric bikes and the cops will be ticketing you for not have a sufficient noise emmitting device to warn pedestrians your coming. Its all one very big stupid cycle.

Mainly because most our congress men and representatives are idiots,career politicans, and taking money from special interest groups. I've gotten a bit off topic.

To close, if you want an aftermarket exhaust don't buy a bike manufactured after Jan 2013.

Last edited by aceof84; 09-30-2010 at 09:54 AM.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 10:36 AM
Knee Dragger

Gov. should stop waisting ink on these worthless bills and pass cannabis out there already.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 10:59 AM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps View Post
Gov. should stop wasting ink on these worthless bills and pass cannabis out there already.
yeah! Thats almost as critical as noise regulation. It just amazes me how they can waste time on things like this when there are so many more important agendas that need to be addressed.

post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 11:39 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
"The noise pollution caused by illegally modified motorcycle exhaust systems is a major quality of life issue across the state"

^^^ Made me laugh. A "major quality of life issue"? Really? So dramatic.

'04 600rr: yoshimura slipon, integrated tails, flushmouts
'99 10th Anniversary Miata: [email protected]
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 11:44 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

So children, the lesson here is that despite rants and tantrums to the contrary the majority does rule.

This law was passed simply because enough people are tired of the excessively loud pipes run by some motorcyclists. In this country that means the law gets changed to enable/enhance punishment (even if it was already against the law).

It really didn't take all of that much effort by the lawmakers to make this happen and it probably makes a lot more people happy than it pisses off - there is that majority thing again. Sure it's not like solving world hunger but it's a relatively easy problem to solve, so they did. I'm sure a lot of the Harley crowd was thinking "that will never happen, there are too many of us". That little cloud went poof didn't it. Sportbikes and the rest just got dragged into it because they all have two wheels.

Now, how far off do you think it will be that sportbikes running from cops and tearing through traffic at 100mph gets noticed? How hard do you think it will be for the lawmakers to pass a law making it illegal to own a bike that will outrun a LEO?

The moral of the story: Piss off enough of the population and they will make the problem go away, one way or another.

Enjoy every minute of life!

Current stable:
05 Honda CBR 600RR (track only)
06 BMW R1200 GS (sold)
08 Honda CBR 1000RR (street only)
12 BMW K1600GTL

IBA# 57849

Motorcycle Road Trips I've Taken: http://lonemuser.blogspot.com/p/moto...rip-index.html
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 12:55 PM
Demented

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerx2 View Post
Now, how far off do you think it will be that sportbikes running from cops and tearing through traffic at 100mph gets noticed? How hard do you think it will be for the lawmakers to pass a law making it illegal to own a bike that will outrun a LEO?
That wouldn't be a bad idea. This country needs to pick up some standards like what they have over in Japan and limit the power output and top speed of cars and bikes that are made for road use. Would easily lower the accident rate, would stop a bunch of people from speeding and running from the cops, car manufacturers would be putting out fuel efficient cars, and everything from the cost of driving to price of insurance and gas would go down.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 01:55 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demented View Post
That wouldn't be a bad idea. This country needs to pick up some standards like what they have over in Japan and limit the power output and top speed of cars and bikes that are made for road use. Would easily lower the accident rate, would stop a bunch of people from speeding and running from the cops, car manufacturers would be putting out fuel efficient cars, and everything from the cost of driving to price of insurance and gas would go down.
I agree, a lot of what you say would probably be true but like all things when it comes to politics its about the money. I'm sure the auto industry would scream murder(and snap shut their pocket books for there favorite politician).They would claim "By limiting the types of car we produce it will have a negative impact on jobs, We'll have to close are blah blah fast car assembly line and lay-off workers" yadda yadda yadda.

I think America's love affair with cars goes a lot farther then its love for super bikes. Plus some what you have said is already true. My Ranger's speed is limited to I think 100 MPH.

Last edited by aceof84; 09-30-2010 at 01:59 PM.
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 01:57 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:

As depressing as it would be to not have fast cars and bikes it makes a lot of sense. Maybe we should sacrifice street for the better of the community. The track would still be there!

post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 02:02 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceof84 View Post
I agree, a lot of what you say would probably be true but like all things when it comes to politics its about the money. I'm sure the auto industry would scream murder(and snap shut their pocket books for there favorite politician).They would claim "By limiting the types of car we produce it will have a negative impact on jobs, We'll have to close are blah blah fast car assembly line and lay-off workers" yadda yadda yadda.

I think America's love affair with cars goes a lot farther then its love for super bikes. Plus some what you have said is already true. My Ranger's speed is limited to I think 100 MPH.
special interests groups

post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 02:08 PM
Demented

Quote:

And that's the problem with the American auto industry. Look at the cars Japan puts out. You can make your 500HP powered mustang, just restrict it to say 200HP and 100mph. Someone can then pay money to get the extra 300HP and 50mph at the expense of their fuel economy and legality. If they really want to go fast and have 500HP, there's enough race tracks around for everybody.

I don't remember which country it was that someone posted about, but the 600RR was restricted to about 60HP max. Honda did it by putting restricor plates in. NASCAR does it and teams don't bitch much, so Ford, GM, and all the other craptastic companies can do it as well.

Another thing is people should be limited to the type of car you can drive by your drivers license. Do we really need a soccer mom who can really only drive a small car driving a huge ass SUV, or F250?
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 02:12 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp33d17884 View Post
special interests groups
Ya they certainly suck, but to be my own devils advocate...Can you really blame them? If congress decided to vote for and pass a law that would make it illegal from that point foward to not allow car manufacturers to make any car in its line up that can go faster than say 100MPH.(wow run on sentence sorry)

People would be pissed, the goverment would be accused of intervening with our day to day lives, the industry would be losing millions of dollars. I guess special interests groups sort of have their place. The big problem is when they aquire to much money.
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 02:25 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
And that's the problem with the American auto industry. Look at the cars Japan puts out. You can make your 500HP powered mustang, just restrict it to say 200HP and 100mph. Someone can then pay money to get the extra 300HP and 50mph at the expense of their fuel economy and legality. If they really want to go fast and have 500HP, there's enough race tracks around for everybody.

I don't remember which country it was that someone posted about, but the 600RR was restricted to about 60HP max. Honda did it by putting restricor plates in. NASCAR does it and teams don't bitch much, so Ford, GM, and all the other craptastic companies can do it as well.

Another thing is people should be limited to the type of car you can drive by your drivers license. Do we really need a soccer mom who can really only drive a small car driving a huge ass SUV, or F250?
I think the country your trying to think of was acutally Japan, someone on this board bought a JP spec 600RR and it had like 65HP.

I understand what your saying, the one thing I take away from your message is basically about wanting people to be more reasonable. Ok so lets say that all the things you stated in the post above were items on a bill that congress wanted to pass. Im sure you know as well as I is that the media, general public, auto industry would more than like have a very negative feeling and approach about it all.

I'm not say everyone would be up in arms and grabbing their pitchforks but I think the main feeling would be why does the Fed care, or have any say in what kind of car I buy for my wife? I think you see where I'm coming from. Not saying you will agree but Its just to much fun not to debate it ya know?
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 04:21 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Ya they certainly suck, but to be my own devils advocate...Can you really blame them? If congress decided to vote for and pass a law that would make it illegal from that point foward to not allow car manufacturers to make any car in its line up that can go faster than say 100MPH.(wow run on sentence sorry)

People would be pissed, the goverment would be accused of intervening with our day to day lives, the industry would be losing millions of dollars. I guess special interests groups sort of have their place. The big problem is when they aquire to much money.
Yes I can blame them. You vote to put someone in congress that has a similar stance as you on most of the issues. Not someone whos stance can be bought by a special interest group and swayed to there favor. He should just do the right thing on his own.

I'm almost to the point where I'm going to try and ignore it. I know theres nothing I can do about it and I just get frustrated.

post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 04:50 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
I'm almost to the point where I'm going to try and ignore it. I know theres nothing I can do about it and I just get frustrated.
I had a few kids in my graduating class (Poly Sci majors) get their grad degrees and move out to DC to try and make a difference. 1/3 of them became evil lobbyists essentially, and the rest left the cesspool that is Capitol Hill politics.

Noise pollution...meh in the grand scheme of things. Agricultural subsidies ruining the promises for a better life that the US made to Latin America and Africa....slightly bigger deal.
If the gov't screws over people in a fundamental human rights manner, what chance do the more luxurious liberties have?
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 05:23 PM
World Superbike Racer

so whats stopping me to go with a stock exhaust get that sticker come back to my garrage and put that sticker on my yoshi pipe i have at home that was taken off and replaced by stock for total of 2 hours untill i got that sticker????

cbr 600 RR 2004
Driven D3's
DDM HID 55w 6k high/low
CRG Adjustable Levers (Gray)

www.facebook.com/stexmne
R.I.P. Phatstud
BB Pin 23BC2D2B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
4. I believe you are born with the motorcycle fever in your blood
post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 05:35 PM
Demented

Quote:
Originally Posted by stexx View Post
so whats stopping me to go with a stock exhaust get that sticker come back to my garrage and put that sticker on my yoshi pipe i have at home that was taken off and replaced by stock for total of 2 hours untill i got that sticker????
Because it's a stamped in DOT number, not a sticker.
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 10:11 AM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Yes I can blame them. You vote to put someone in congress that has a similar stance as you on most of the issues. Not someone whos stance can be bought by a special interest group and swayed to there favor. He should just do the right thing on his own.

I can certainly understand the frustration part, right now it feels like the goverment is almost completely broken. They can't seem to pull the trigger on big issues and get something in the book, but they sure do have loads of time to solve and meaningless ones like this issue.

The only reason for that is its a less complicated issue and its easy to pass, but from the outside it looks like all their doing is pissing around and pushing the important issues that have a much greater effect on us(immigration,Budget issues, Deficit) to the back burn. They also time to go on CNN or FOX or MSNBC and bash so and so for his stance something all because elecation time is here.

To put this all back on track, I'm sure the aftermarket Industry will still be there California is a big state but there are other markets. As far as enforcing the law, most states have a dB limit and the law is never enforced due to the fact its a hassle to check for and cops are motivated to do it. But I'm speaking from a Florida setting, everything is a bit backwards here.
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 10:17 AM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Because it's a stamped in DOT number, not a sticker.
ow nvm didnt know that.. i bet some garages gonna start duplicating those numbers for 50$ :)

cbr 600 RR 2004
Driven D3's
DDM HID 55w 6k high/low
CRG Adjustable Levers (Gray)

www.facebook.com/stexmne
R.I.P. Phatstud
BB Pin 23BC2D2B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
4. I believe you are born with the motorcycle fever in your blood
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 10:21 AM
Demented

Quote:
Originally Posted by stexx View Post
ow nvm didnt know that.. i bet some garages gonna start duplicating those numbers for 50$ :)
And then shops and the owner of the item can be ticketed for more serious offenses than just riding with an aftermarket pipe.
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 11:56 AM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
There are always ways around laws. And this law is no exception.

Manufacturers will simply incorporate a silencer into the exhaust tips (some are already doing that) to reduce the noise level. And for off road use, you can simply remove the silencer.

Heck, you can remove the silencer and still be technically legal since the exhaust will have the legal sticker/stamp/wateva on it. LOL!
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 11:40 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 28 reviews
Quote:
Stop people from running from cops? Fuel efficient cars? Cheap gas and insurance? Somebody pinch him!

"...just let go of the brakes and let the bike on through..." - Guy Martin
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 10:03 PM
Training Wheel Hero

I'm not in the USA, so this doesn't affect me beyond the fact that when people create laws in California, other jurisdictions around the world start considering applying them elsewhere. That much said...

The thing that annoys me about this kind of law is that it enforces a means, not an end. So instead of legislating for the desired end, which presumably is "your bike must not produce more than XX dB of sound at YY rpm" they're just applying a blunt instrument approach of enforcing the means to the end by an approach of "stock equipment passes tests, therefore actively discourage anything non-stock". When in actual fact, there are aftermarket exhausts that are acceptably quiet but still better sounding (or possibly better performing) than the built-to-a-price-not-a-standard stock system.

I just think of all those SV650s. That potential for beautiful V-twin exhaust rumble, sadly muffled into something more like the sound of a sewing machine by the stock exhaust, is now lost altogether because of laws like this.

There's other ways that you can ensure bikes are reasonably quiet. Eg in some states over here, they have sound detectors at traffic intersections that pick up excessively loud vehicles (be they bikes/trucks/cars) and photograph them with the dB reading just like a speed camera photographs a vehicle travelling too fast.

Last edited by John H; 10-07-2010 at 10:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page