Well, Right there is your problem.... - 600RR.net
Politics This forum is dedicated to any political subject you got in mind

View Poll Results: Is the number of government workers a problem?
No problem at all! 1 16.67%
WTF, no wonder the country is broke! 5 83.33%
This article has to be an april foos day joke! 0 0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Mad Chemist

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Well, Right there is your problem....

More Americans work for the government than in manufacturing, farming, fishing, forestry, mining and utilities combined.

We've Become a Nation of Takers, Not Makers

By STEPHEN MOORE

If you want to understand better why so many states—from New York to Wisconsin to California—are teetering on the brink of bankruptcy, consider this depressing statistic: Today in America there are nearly twice as many people working for the government (22.5 million) than in all of manufacturing (11.5 million). This is an almost exact reversal of the situation in 1960, when there were 15 million workers in manufacturing and 8.7 million collecting a paycheck from the government.

It gets worse. More Americans work for the government than work in construction, farming, fishing, forestry, manufacturing, mining and utilities combined. We have moved decisively from a nation of makers to a nation of takers. Nearly half of the $2.2 trillion cost of state and local governments is the $1 trillion-a-year tab for pay and benefits of state and local employees. Is it any wonder that so many states and cities cannot pay their bills?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...867182108.html

Does anyone NOT think this is a problem?? I mean, What do all of these paper pushers do?

I Like My Guns Like Obama Likes His Voters: Undocumented

Last edited by WherzRoony; 04-01-2011 at 11:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 11:44 AM
Knee Dragger

There are a lot of things that are controlled by the government. If there were no people working for the government who would control these things? Would all schools become private? That certainlly would not be a good thing because they would then have the right to choose who they accept into their schools. Your kids would become limited to the schools that will accept them and the increase of competition will drive price of private school even higher. Another thing to consider is the postal service. If it was owned by a private company Im sure there would be some sort of monthly service charge. I think that without government jobs the cost of living will go up significantly due to everything becoming privatized.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Mad Chemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazark_18 View Post
There are a lot of things that are controlled by the government. If there were no people working for the government who would control these things? Would all schools become private? That certainlly would not be a good thing because they would then have the right to choose who they accept into their schools. Your kids would become limited to the schools that will accept them and the increase of competition will drive price of private school even higher. Another thing to consider is the postal service. If it was owned by a private company Im sure there would be some sort of monthly service charge. I think that without government jobs the cost of living will go up significantly due to everything becoming privatized.
Wow, that's new to me. I had no idea that free market competition made things more expensive. That must be why walmart is teetering on the verge of bankruptcy. on top of the money that new York takes out of my check each week, I just had to send them $1027.00 to cover the difference. I did the math, and the local school system is spending $14,500 per student in public education just to produce idiots that will vote democrat. The average cost nationally for private schooling is $3116.00. Even if the post office, which is in the red by billions per year were taken over by the private sector, nothing is forcing you to use it.

The basic concept behind free market competition is that the most efficient and best valued business will survive. Yes, we do need the government for some things. Those things allowed by the constitution, but we do not need 27 redundant agencies to regulate public housing.

Last edited by WherzRoony; 04-01-2011 at 08:24 PM.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 11:37 AM
Knee Dragger

I was just saying that even without state and government jobs citizens will still have to pay someone to do the same tasks. Who's gonna do road repairs/cleanups? What about IRS, SBA, NHTSA, FBI, Treasury Dept., DEA, ICE, FDA, EEOC etc? You think these sectors of our society will just go away? NO, someone will still have to pay to keep these running.
When talking about private vs public schools, both have pros and cons. Being a teacher I prefer public schools for several reasons.
Public schools offer more choice in curriculum, builds community relationships for both parent and student, access to sports programs,access to arts and music programs, teachers are certified educational instructors (private school teachers do not have to be certified) and Low cost
I hope you also realize also that private schools usually choose not to accept students with special needs because that will require them to hire extra staff and classes which will cost them more money. Another thing to consider is that private schools dont have to follow a curriculum. Since they are privately owned they can decide what subjects they want to teach (most private schools are religion oriented). So you could end up with two kids who went to the same school in the same town that dont know the same stuff. What would that do to college entrance exams, and how will we be able to standardize what the kids are learning?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 04:20 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Oh no...what am I going to do? I was home schooled, how am I going to pass ANY tests? I've worked in many schools and they are ALL a joke, even the charter schools

I've been working at the Tampa courthouse for the past week...nothing but over staffed waste. While working I observed 6 sheriffs doing crossword puzzles - 8 hrs a day for the whole week!!!! Talk about waste!

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 05:30 PM
Knee Dragger

I didnt say you werent gonna pass tests. Just that nothing will be standardized.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Mad Chemist

Oh yes, standardized. That's the key, we all need to learn the same stuff no matter the environment your community is in..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page