A conservative are you? - 600RR.net
Politics This forum is dedicated to any political subject you got in mind

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
A conservative are you?

Kind of an unusual situation brought this question to my mind...
there is a bright young man on this forum, he and I share some view points, but we tend to have a personality conflict... and something he said got me to thinking... he said that in the begining he thought I had something to offer the political debates as a conservative, but after reading some of my posts he came to realize that I am not a conservative, I am "just another conservative"...I am guessing that he means I am not a real conservative in his opinion... and I think he is right.. I do not consider myself a conservative.. though a lot of folks think of me as one because of some of my stands on political issues...
I think of myself more as a constitutionalist... a states rights and individual liberties guy...
I am quite conservative in some of my personal, moral views... but I do not believe that my views should be forced by law on anyone else...not by any government agency or sham laws...especially not the feds... I believe that governmental powers are limited by the constitution and they should stay withing their powers and leave things that are not in their powers alone..
I, for example, am against homosexuality... that does not mean I am against homosexuals... I am against same sex unions.. and what that means to be is that I will not be in one.. it does not mean to me that I have any right to have any say in who you choose to unite with...
If I am against something I do not do it, but have no say in whether you do it or not... if what you are doing does not hurt me, it is none of my damn business... and no business of the government...
since I believe in individual liberties... I will support your right to do something I do not "approve of"..so I guess I am conservative in views, but liberal in believing that you have the right to do what ever the hell you want to that does not hurt others....
I think the war of drugs is not really anything the feds have any right to be involved in.. it costs the tax payers millions and really does not accomplish anything...
the feds have no legal right to even have the BATF...
what business is it of theirs, or mine.. what tabacco you use, if you use,,, what alochol you drink, if you drink..and what firearms you possess if you have any....
who you marry is none the feds business, much less does it come under their authority...

so do you consider yourself a conservative?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 12:58 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
So who should be dealing with the drugs flowing into the country?

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." E. Hemingway
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellomoto_25 View Post
So who should be dealing with the drugs flowing into the country?
I guess it would be the folks who are buying it... whose business is it if you choose to use drugs? no skin off my nose...it takes nothing from my pocket book...
and where in the constitution does the federal government have the authority to make drugs, alcohol, or tabacco illegal?

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 02:15 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obed View Post
Kind of an unusual situation brought this question to my mind...
there is a bright young man on this forum, he and I share some view points, but we tend to have a personality conflict... and something he said got me to thinking... he said that in the begining he thought I had something to offer the political debates as a conservative, but after reading some of my posts he came to realize that I am not a conservative, I am "just another conservative"...I am guessing that he means I am not a real conservative in his opinion... and I think he is right.. I do not consider myself a conservative.. though a lot of folks think of me as one because of some of my stands on political issues...
I think of myself more as a constitutionalist... a states rights and individual liberties guy...
I am quite conservative in some of my personal, moral views... but I do not believe that my views should be forced by law on anyone else...not by any government agency or sham laws...especially not the feds... I believe that governmental powers are limited by the constitution and they should stay withing their powers and leave things that are not in their powers alone..
I, for example, am against homosexuality... that does not mean I am against homosexuals... I am against same sex unions.. and what that means to be is that I will not be in one.. it does not mean to me that I have any right to have any say in who you choose to unite with...
If I am against something I do not do it, but have no say in whether you do it or not... if what you are doing does not hurt me, it is none of my damn business... and no business of the government...
since I believe in individual liberties... I will support your right to do something I do not "approve of"..so I guess I am conservative in views, but liberal in believing that you have the right to do what ever the hell you want to that does not hurt others....
I think the war of drugs is not really anything the feds have any right to be involved in.. it costs the tax payers millions and really does not accomplish anything...
what business is it of theirs, or mine.. what tabacco you use, if you use,,, what alochol you drink, if you drink..and what firearms you possess if you have any....
who you marry is none the feds business, much less does it come under their authority...

No there's not! You must have this mixed up with another forum... this is 600rr.net!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 02:56 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
there is a bright young man on this forum, he and I share some view points, but we tend to have a personality conflict... and something he said got me to thinking...
Tread lightly... This is almost sounding like a compliment.

Quote:
he said that in the begining he thought I had something to offer the political debates as a conservative, but after reading some of my posts he came to realize that I am not a conservative, I am "just another conservative"...I am guessing that he means I am not a real conservative in his opinion...
I don't recall saying that I changed my position on what kind of conservative I thought you were, only that my opinions on what kind of person you were changed. Despite you being unnecessarily belligerent, I can still respect someone that's a true conservative (which now goes by constitutionalist since they don't want to be mixed in with the "conservatives").

Quote:

You and I agree more than you will ever know. I'm personally fiscally conservative and socially liberal. I don't really like homosexuality, or abortions or drug abusers... But the way I see it, if what you choose to with your mind/body/money doesn't affect me, or my quality of life, I don't give a sh*t.

That said, I think giving people the tools they need to help themselves in time of need is the hallmark of a great society. Whether that support comes from a federal or state level isn't that big of a concern to me.

Last edited by pbeaul; 08-26-2011 at 02:58 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to pbeaul For This Useful Post:
StolenCamaro (08-26-2011)
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

In my mind whether something happens on a state level or a federal level makes a huge difference...
I object to the feds getting involved in anything that is not specifically assigned to them by the constitution...and the feds have a history of not administrating too well...Here in Texas our state govenment in not exactly the most efficient, but the feds make them look great...
and historically, what federal institution was ever disbanded when the function it was created to do, was completed...
and any social service that can be handled on a local level is much more likely to work than something that is managed from far away...
and if things are handled on local levels, who really needs something is more easily determined...less corruption, not that corruption will not exist...when funds are raised and spent on a local level, things seem to work smoother...
and lets face it.. what works for Texas may not work for New York..
people in any given area understand the needs of the area better than folks from somewhere else...
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 09:08 PM
World Superbike Racer

This is all sounding very Lord of the Flies.

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." E. Hemingway
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 12:24 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

If you guys had as many beers as i had tongiht youd get along better, trust me.

what party ended probition? i'm in that one
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 10:47 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
In my mind whether something happens on a state level or a federal level makes a huge difference...
Bingo. 10th amendment exists for a reason.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 10:57 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Day by day this forum is becoming male version of "sex and the city" lol!!! j /k
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 11:44 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
You guys need to ride more lol

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by HI OFECR View Post
You guys need to ride more lol
I do my fair share of riding and have been for 47 years...
I wonder why some folks feel a need to post useless off topic statements...if a subject does not appeal to you, try ignoring it....
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 11:51 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
I do my fair share of riding and have been for 47 years...
I wonder why some folks feel a need to post useless off topic statements...if a subject does not appeal to you, try ignoring it....
Or you could post on a "politics forum"

But regardless if my comment does not appeal to you, try ignoring it....

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by HI OFECR View Post
Or you could post on a "politics forum"

But regardless if my comment does not appeal to you, try ignoring it....

you might note....this IS a politics forum... check the title of the section...sorry, forgot reading and comprehension is not your strong suit...
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 10:08 PM
Training Wheel Hero

While I agree that others should be able to do whatever they want to their bodies, it becomes a problem when somebody "exercising his freedom" interferes with or prevents the freedom of others.

Who cares is someone is on crack? I do if he or she is driving in my vicinity.

I think my biggest pet peeve, however, is when people think the first amendment means they can say whatever they want.

...Also, I consider myself a conservative, mostly because I don't believe it is the government's responsibility to feed people. It is not the government's responsibility to subsidize health care or other services. I think government is for the creation and enforcement of laws, public safety and infrastructure.

Last edited by Willy P; 09-01-2011 at 10:12 PM.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Willy in the case you mentioned it is not the crack that is the problem, it is them under the influence driving on a public road, and it would be just as bad if they were taking prescription drugs... or if they were drunk...what they do at home or in a place that does not harm others is none of the govenments business...
your concerns if used in other areas in the same fashion would again outlaw alcohol because some folks have driven drunk... why try and restrict the activities of those who behave responsibly... why not just punish those who do not...
again if it hurts me, I have a right to do something about it.. if not.. I don't
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 12:51 PM
Training Wheel Hero

I'm from Alabama and I agree that state and federal government should both operate well within their boundaries.

State > Federal
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 03:09 AM
Moto GP Racer

bumpin' this sh*t

states rights, individual liberties oh yea i love it.

the federal gov has become like umbrella corp and seems to be on the trend to 1984

i dont know what i am, but i know i am unhappy with a lot of the laws and restrictions here.

marriage was supposed to be done within a church. so if gio and ryan wanna get 'married' it would be up to the church.
however, i think its pretty dumb to not let two women or men get married because marriage is now done by the state, and certain tax credits and other things that go with getting married, that are benefits, are unobtainable, its really descriminatory, let them suffer like all the other married folks. point being if you dont like it, dont do it, but if it does not harm you then you have no right to tell someone they cant just because of some concept of religious creed.

who should be taking care of the drugs? the states if anything. has the War on Drugs done anything at all? no. the numbers suggest that it is a huige waste of time.

i stand behind the notion that if you were to decriminalize most of those substances then the crime relating to them would pretty much go away. alcohol is a perfect example. make a black market for something and you create oppertunity for criminals to exploit it.

in my opinion the only guy who seems to be a conservitive and a constitutionalist is ron fuking paul.
vote ron paul 2012 cuz its the right thing todo

RIP PHATTY
05/08/1980-10/19/2010
VOTE RON PAUL 2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page