Occupy Wall Street, What do you think? - 600RR.net
Politics This forum is dedicated to any political subject you got in mind

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Mad Chemist

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Occupy Wall Street, What do you think?

Somebody had to start this thread.....

IMO, they are a bunch of bored hippies looking for a party, or a new weed hook-up. I'd go down for a day if I could..... TAKE A DAY OFF OF WORK!

The thing is, most of these protesters probably stopped occupying their parents basement just for a change of scenery. (Useful Idiots) = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Useful_idiot

How many of them have seen $30,000 of their pay disappear to government taxes in a year. I have!

I Like My Guns Like Obama Likes His Voters: Undocumented

Last edited by WherzRoony; 10-17-2011 at 08:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 08:48 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
The problem with this whole "movement" is that most of them don't even seem to know what they are protesting about.

"Corporations are just like... Bad, man... And stuff. Ya know?"

Quote:
Harley-Davidson: The world's most efficient method of turning gasoline into noise without the harmful side effect of horsepower.
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 08:50 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanCo Rider View Post
The problem with this whole "movement" is that most of them don't even seem to know what they are protesting about.

I agree.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

Black 2011 600RR
Mods: TST IT and FE, LeoVince LV One SS Slip-on, DB windscreen, Woodcraft FS, Shorty levers, Fastpack Tailbag

"Stupid hurts."

"If you're not using what's inside the helmet, it doesn't matter if you wear one."

"Ride Safe. Ride Tomorrow."

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 09:41 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:

I agree with this and Herman Cain's take on it, “if you don’t have a job and you’re not rich, blame yourself!”

2009 CBR600RA ABS

Akrapovic Slip on
Watsen Design flush mounts
Puig Dark Smoke DB Windscreen
Tripage IT, FE and Powdercoated LED pegs
Woodcraft sliders
Silver Tapeworks reflective wheel tape
Corbin seat
JPR Performance Levers

post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 11:26 PM
Moto GP Racer

Its about income inequality.

The richest 1 percent of Americans control 40 percent of the country’s wealth, own 50 percent of U.S.-owned stocks and bonds, and earn 24 percent of total income. The top 1 percent earn more than the bottom 40 percent of the population (and the richest 20 percent get more income than everyone else combined). In the aftermath of the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression, this tiny slice of the U.S. population controls more of its country’s money than it has since the 1920s.

http://www.americanprogress.org/issu...te_gripes.html

If you have issues with that paragraph, you are The Other 99%.

2006 HONDA CBR600RR: SOLD JUN'13

FLUTTERSHY
600rr.net Crash Stats: Will You Crash?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CepheiA For This Useful Post:
stick1300 (11-03-2011), tary preisser (10-19-2011)
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 11:58 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 28 reviews
besides, why play the establishment's game to sucker the movement into setting itself up for failure?

the end vision and goals have been rather clearly stated and put to the establishment. Change unjust laws, reduce corp welfare, enforce anti-monopoly laws, change the tax code, etc.

But you know they won't change on their own, so the movement's purpose is to advocate and compel change. OWS doesn't need an agenda, nor an answer to some corporate whore on the t.v.

Don't get suckered in by the media setup. While you're at it, kill your cable service.

"...just let go of the brakes and let the bike on through..." - Guy Martin
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 01:10 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:

I agree with this completely, one way it was put in a conversation I had earlier is that they consider themselves the 99% yet 99% of them don't know what exactly they are protesting. I did look up the Call to Action statement on the OWS website then watched the news and not one person interviewed said any one of the topics in for the Call to Action. These people are just sheep they follow whatever someone tells them to. It also just gives people who like to cause problems a "reason" to start problems and a mass of bodies to hide behind. that's just my 2 cents, if you feel the other way I would love to hear it because until and until shown differently I think this is ridiculous.
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Mad Chemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CepheiA View Post

The richest 1 percent of Americans control 40 percent of the country’s wealth, own 50 percent of U.S.-owned stocks and bonds, and earn 24 percent of total income. The top 1 percent earn more than the bottom 40 percent of the population (and the richest 20 percent get more income than everyone else combined). In the aftermath of the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression, this tiny slice of the U.S. population controls more of its country’s money than it has since the 1920s.

The problem with that thinking is that it treats the wealth in this country as a static amount. It makes you think that no other wealth can be created and we have to take it back from the rich.

The problem with that logic is that anyone who wants to and has the motivation can go out, start a business of their own, sell a lot of stuff that people want and become just as rich themselves. Look at Steve Jobs. He didn't have to take his money from the rich. He made a hell of a product that all of us want and are willing to pay for. He started it in his garage. Anyone can do it and I have nothing against the rich. I aspire to be rich some day.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WherzRoony For This Useful Post:
OC949Rider (10-18-2011), TribalCBR06 (01-29-2012)
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 11:16 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
You don't have to play the hand you were dealt. You can be anyone you want to be.

Drift Camera Forum - http://driftcamforum.com/
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 11:44 AM
Knee Dragger

Parts of the OWS movement are rubbish. No doubt. Of course those will be the most televised parts. Just like the Tea Party coverage. Nobody sits around the tube to watch reasonable people offering reasonable conversation. We want lunatics frothing at the mouth with anti-establishment rhetoric, shallow threats of violence, or maybe even some good ole racism. You can always count on the news camera finding the loudest and dumbest people to shine a light on.

These are the things we, as consumers of all things stupid, love to see. That way we can easily identify them as opposite to ourselves and thus inferior.

The driving sentiment is inequality. I can certainly understand the feeling and in some ways respect it. There are some parts of the OWS movement that are worth listening to. Calls to abolish the FED for one. Reworking the tax codes for another. Those are strong points to be considered. Not everything that is being talked about is garbage.
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 11:47 AM

Feedback Score: 91 reviews
Quote:

Also going to join in this. I am not the 99% because I still have choices to make, I don't look to those 1% for anything. Good for them making lots of money for themselves and their family. Do you feel you deserve their money? Shame on you. Get out and make your own money. There isn't enough money if you take it from all of the rich to fix the SPENDING problem in Washington. Washington is the problem not the business's. Business's do what they are good at, making money, creating and keeping jobs for those that don't or otherwise wouldn't have a job. If you think you deserve more money then go get another job, if you don't like your job go find another one. Going to Collage does not guarantee you a job and I think those that have a degree and no job to use it in should look back and realize this. Stop looking for the government to GIVE you a job,food, a house. If you want something go out and work for it. Those 1% give more to this county than they have to. They can outsource everything to other countries and cut out a lot more jobs. Now that we have free trade with more and more countries more business's are now open to sending jobs to other countries for them to do it for half the cost you don't want to do it.

Want to vote for something. FAIR TAX make things easier for everyone. 999 is a step towards this. "jobs plan" is a joke, Government doesn't create jobs and Solyndra is proof of this. Government makes more regulations to create another regulation authority to oversee it. We can't all work for the government.

http://tripageled.com/store/
Owner
Tristan Page
[email protected]
[email protected]
Dual low / Dual High beam led headlights. OEM appearance
http://tripageled.com/store/index.ph...product_id=236
Integrated Gear Indicator installed inside your cluster
http://tripageled.com/store/index.ph...product_id=116

Last edited by tripage; 10-18-2011 at 11:52 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tripage For This Useful Post:
JPAT_R12X (10-19-2011), Need600 (10-19-2011), OC949Rider (10-18-2011)
post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 04:08 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 14 reviews
My sentiments on the matter here:

I work at the stock exchange on wall street and lets just say I'm SICK of seeing these protesters every single day. No one promised anyone jobs when they got out of college. That risk is always there. Life is tough, but situations like this build character. Protesting and blaming others for your problems is just pathetic. Blaming corporations is lame. Their #1 job is to raise profits for investors, not distribute money to the general population. Better yourself and make yourself distinguishable and maybe you won't be in that 99%.

I also think the media is exacerbating the situation by giving the protesters the attention and coverage they seek.

Black 2006 600rr l SOLD Dec 2010
07 600rr - sold Aug 2011
07 white/silver 600rr - sold
Current: 2015 1000rr

Last edited by redlinernyc; 10-18-2011 at 04:12 PM. Reason: typo
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to redlinernyc For This Useful Post:
Need600 (10-19-2011), TribalCBR06 (01-29-2012), tripage (10-19-2011)
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Mad Chemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlinernyc View Post
No one promised anyone jobs when they got out of college. That risk is always there. Life is tough, but situations like this build character. Protesting and blaming others for your problems is just pathetic.
How many of these unemployed college grads studied Art, History, or English Literature and wonder why they can't find a job. Those fields amount to **** in the business world. I always joked with my English Lit major friends in college that the professors only need to teach them one quote "Would you like any fries with that?"

post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 10:54 PM
Moto GP Racer

It's not really about asking someone that built a company from a garage to a billion dollar industry to share that money with the 'poor.'

It's about the influence these large corporations (some of the 1%) have in legislation and the creation of US Laws and policies via their donations.

Occupy Wall Street wants to limit these types of donations from 'non-citizens.'

2006 HONDA CBR600RR: SOLD JUN'13

FLUTTERSHY
600rr.net Crash Stats: Will You Crash?

post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
It's not really about asking someone that built a company from a garage to a billion dollar industry to share that money with the 'poor.'

It's about the influence these large corporations (some of the 1%) have in legislation and the creation of US Laws and policies via their donations.

Occupy Wall Street wants to limit these types of donations from 'non-citizens.'
OWS doesn't know what they want. They are unorganized and 3/4 of them think they are there because they don't have a job and went to college and eventually graduated with no future job. I went to college, graduated with a marketing degree, I worked 2 jobs during school to pay for it. Worked in the field for 1 year and decided I did not like the field and where it was taking me so I got out of it. I don't blame wall street for this. It was my decision to get into it and my decision to get out. Big corps have their hands in the politicians back pockets, this has been going on for years, Before this colonies went to Washington with gold to be recognized as a new state. "How the States got their shapes" Watch it, you will learn alot about our states. This is nothing new and as long as people believe the candidate with the most money will be the winner than it will not change. Cain doesn't have the most money and is not following the same campaign trail as others and is telling the truth to those that don't want to hear it. Sounds like some real "change" is happening.

Owner
Tristan Page
[email protected]
[email protected]
The Following User Says Thank You to tripage For This Useful Post:
Need600 (10-19-2011)
post #16 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 11:01 AM
Moto GP Racer

I am a 50 yr old hourly wage worker. I have a college degree and have worked as an hourly slug all my life.Over the last 30 years I have seen ever shrinking wages and benefits all across the economy(except in the silicon tech.areas).

I do not want to take things from rich people, I just want a decent future for my Daughter, I can see that she will not have as good a chance as i did.

corporations are not and never have been people.

-because a corporation can be immortal,and we are not.

-because a corporation cannot be punished in any substantive way.

No corporation should have the same rights and privileges as a human being.

Our Government is NOT transparent, and is not acting to enhance the common good. Gov't is only acting in the favor of (large, rich) "persons".

this is an incestuous,cancerous relationship that feeds off of the host (99% of us).

unless you have the cancer removed, it will kill you...
The Following User Says Thank You to tary preisser For This Useful Post:
DepPravacion (11-01-2011)
post #17 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 11:18 AM

Remove the corporations and things will be worse. Think of all the employees those corps employ? Those people that run the corp do not need the employees. They can close up shop and live off the money they already have. it's a catch 22. They can outsource all of the work because of the free trade agreements just put in place. Free trade does us no good if we don't make anything in the country to send to other countries only have our products made in other countries and imported to the U.S. "fundamentally transform the U.S" is what he said. I think he is doing it. Turning us against each other and believe someone is going to come in and make it all fair. There will always be rich and poor. If you don't want to be poor do something about it. You live in the greatest country in the world. Find something you are good at and find a way to make money doing it.

Owner
Tristan Page
[email protected]
[email protected]

Last edited by tripage; 10-19-2011 at 06:01 PM.
post #18 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 01:54 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Well, since it hasnt been posted yet, here is a humorous (and scary) showing of the caliber of people involved. Enjoy...or fear for the future.

http://web.gbtv.com/media/video.jsp?...y_19882747&v=3

post #19 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 02:29 PM

Just things I saw.
Beard trimmer: business "corporation" makes those
Guitar: Not sure what brand it is but more than likely made by a business "corporation"
Clothes they are wearing: "corporation" and most likely not made in this country, outsourced to a 3rd world country that will do the job without complaining for less than half the price for labor.
"boss not telling an employee how to do his job?" you won't have to worry about that, because they will will not hire you because of that statement.

What is the meaning of capitalism.... That's a good one.
Communism is what you want then I will put some money towards your one way ticket to another country to live in. Those protesting for that reason don't know how good they have it. Do this in a communist country and they will shoot all of them and be done with it, no questions asked.

Owner
Tristan Page
[email protected]
[email protected]
The Following User Says Thank You to tripage For This Useful Post:
Need600 (10-19-2011)
post #20 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 03:00 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:

And who pays a majority of the taxes?

Black 2011 600RR
Mods: TST IT and FE, LeoVince LV One SS Slip-on, DB windscreen, Woodcraft FS, Shorty levers, Fastpack Tailbag

"Stupid hurts."

"If you're not using what's inside the helmet, it doesn't matter if you wear one."

"Ride Safe. Ride Tomorrow."
post #21 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 03:26 PM
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 2,462 Times in 1,717 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
We are the 53%

Those of us who pay for those of you who whine about all of this... or that... and claim to be the 99%.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheX For This Useful Post:
JPAT_R12X (10-19-2011)
post #22 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 07:58 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I feel sorry for many of you. Falling for the BS hook line and sinker. You guys still believe in the "American dream" and believe if you work hard enough, you too can be that guy... Hate to break it to ya, but it ain't going to happen. The only thing that made the "American dream" a reality is the middle class, without a healthy and vibrant middle class you don't have sh*t, and everyone below the 0.1% will suffer because of it.

OWS is about many things, income inequality, the rich being accountable to no one and doing what ever the f^ck they want as they screw main street. It's not about getting something for nothing, it's about not getting the shitty end of the stick ALL the time. You guys talk about wanting greed/corruption out of politics, well this is how it will happen.

Wall street practically single handedly caused a global recession, through shady/illegal practices... How many people have gone to jail? How many people have been kicked out of their modest homes because they lost their jobs because of these irresponsible actions?

The Government/SEC isn't even bothering to investigate/prosecute any of these people, it's f^cking disgusting. The American people just got robbed and the government sweeps the sh*t under the rug as if no one is to blame.

If things don't start changing income disparity-wise and all people have to look forward to are shitty minimum wage jobs the US as we know it is f^cked.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pbeaul For This Useful Post:
Cj98 (11-01-2011), khanf1 (10-19-2011), OveRReV (10-19-2011)
post #23 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 09:39 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbeaul View Post
I feel sorry for many of you. Falling for the BS hook line and sinker. You guys still believe in the "American dream" and believe if you work hard enough, you too can be that guy... Hate to break it to ya, but it ain't going to happen. The only thing that made the "American dream" a reality is the middle class, without a healthy and vibrant middle class you don't have sh*t, and everyone below the 0.1% will suffer because of it.

OWS is about many things, income inequality, the rich being accountable to no one and doing what ever the f^ck they want as they screw main street. It's not about getting something for nothing, it's about not getting the shitty end of the stick ALL the time. You guys talk about wanting greed/corruption out of politics, well this is how it will happen.

Wall street practically single handedly caused a global recession, through shady/illegal practices... How many people have gone to jail? How many people have been kicked out of their modest homes because they lost their jobs because of these irresponsible actions?

The Government/SEC isn't even bothering to investigate/prosecute any of these people, it's f^cking disgusting. The American people just got robbed and the government sweeps the sh*t under the rug as if no one is to blame.

If things don't start changing income disparity-wise and all people have to look forward to are shitty minimum wage jobs the US as we know it is f^cked.
Very well put, I agree.
post #24 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 09:49 PM
Pocketbike Racer

My Macroeconomics teacher showed us a video I thought was interesting. It gets you thinking about stuff. Check out Richard Wolff: Capitalism Hits the Fan.
http://www.capitalismhitsthefan.com/

you can find it on you tube as well...
post #25 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbeaul View Post

Did you see this?
http://web.gbtv.com/media/video.jsp?...y_19882747&v=3

I was also listening to the radio where they had OWS call in and for 2 hours of them calling in only 2 of them agreed on the same thing they were "fighting" for. It's unorganized and has no leader. You can't expect a country to take you serious with this lack of leadership. Their site talks about all kinds of different things they want.

The problem came from lending to those people who could not afford to get the loan in the first place. "equal" no standards. If everyone could be approved for a loan they could only afford before the adjustable rate ended or the balloon ended on the loan what did they think was going to happen. They would win the lottery or get a double salary increase? Wake up, they tried this with my wife and I in 2001 when buying our house. Wanted our loan amount to be 3/4 of our monthly pay. I know better than to put that much towards my house. Where would I get the money for the other things in life? I do blame the banks for this and whoever was backing those loans. But I also blame the people that bought a 500,000 house only making 50,000 a year. You have to know that you have a limit on what you can afford with what you make. The money wasn't the problem. The thinking you could afford something that far outside your means was the problem.

Government spending on the backs of those loans is the bigger problem. Spending money they don't have to pay for things that we don't need/want.

Government doesn't make/create jobs that create anything. This is why government needs to get out of the way of the middle class "business" and let us do our thing.

No company is too big to fail, government has zero say in what company wins/fails this is not their job.

Owner
Tristan Page
[email protected]
[email protected]
post #26 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 10:11 AM
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 2,462 Times in 1,717 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
OWS should be occupying jobs.
post #27 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 10:44 AM

There are jobs out there, they just don't want to do them. They went to college and believe they should walk into the company making top dollar because of that piece of paper. Maybe they look at it different than I do, but I will take any job, 2-3 of them if needed to provide for my family. I will do any job the best of my ability, it's how I was brought up and how I am bring up my kids. Give 100% in everything you do.

Owner
Tristan Page
[email protected]
[email protected]
post #28 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 01:31 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Dennis Leary's "life's gonna suck when you grow up song" comes to mind.

Bottom line is life isn't fair and more importantly NO ONE OWES YOU ****.

post #29 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 02:39 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 28 reviews
interesting what happens when religion/politics are brought up in any context...good thing we all have motorcycles in common!

"...just let go of the brakes and let the bike on through..." - Guy Martin
post #30 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 02:41 PM
Training Wheel Hero

The OWS movement is such a joke. Lets get together, sing "koom-bay-yaa" and tell the government to give us what we want.

Seriously, when will people realize that 99% of the rich busted their asses to get there? If you are complaining, you're wasting time because honestly, nobody gives a f^ck. Instead of complaining why i dont make millions, I'm trying to figure out how. Or at least make more than I do. I'm good now, but being static is the worst thing you can be in life. And this is exactly what these people are doing.

And I dont give a sh^t.

Last edited by KaspaR; 10-20-2011 at 02:46 PM. Reason: foul language
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page