Duck Dynasty - your thoughts? - Page 2 - 600RR.net
Politics This forum is dedicated to any political subject you got in mind

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 06:55 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have a guy on FB commenting saying that Phil is totally in the wrong for saying what he believes in simply because he is on TV and he should only be able to say what others agree is appropriate. So does the fact youre being recorded on TV revoke a persons right to free speech? Man I'd have nothing to say then lol

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

"Opinions are like A**holes. Everyone has one."

- Untamed Entity -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 06:58 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcbr4lyfe View Post
I would bet it's scripted also. A&E also bounced Dog with his rant against black people. He came back after an apology. I would bet this guy does the same and is back asap.

I guess you can say whatever you want and be free from imprisonment, but your job and the company that signs your check is a different story. Right or wrong it's not the first time or the last this will happen. It's only gonna get worse.
Yea I agree, that's why I said most of it is edited. These later seasons seem fake, compared to the early ones. I would love to see the show just end. I'm a fan of it, but A&E has ran it into the ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldn View Post
I'm glad lines have been identified...even if it is all the way at bukake....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge_Jumper View Post
no he's not... I can already tell he's a soulless little fawker who is going to destroy everything you love

My long not exciting build, but I have hyperflo's
post #33 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 09:23 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheX View Post
I don't agree with the anti-gay views, even though I'm a heterosexual person. The backlash that Phil Robertson is being subjected to, including suspension by A&E is a violation of his first amendment rights. The people that are violating his rights should be the ones that are being punished.

Americans seem to be willing to throw their rights away in the interest of "political correctness". Guess what, in real life not everyone gets a trophy. I happen to think that "The Redskins" is a fantastic name for a football team. I also understand what the word "retarded" actually means, and sometimes it fits the situation. This is the pussification of America, and people seem very happy to add to it. Screw that, you can't have my rights, my guns, or my liberty and freedom.

So, what do you think? Here are a variety of stories, from a variety of sources. I don't want to be accused of media bias in my post.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...ty-fans-react/

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/19/showbi...ion/index.html

http://www.msnbc.com/thomas-roberts/...i-gay-comments

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2013/...phil+robertson

Here is a good overview of freedom of speech.

http://www.uscourts.gov/educational-...ee-speech.aspx

I couldn't agree more personally. I was in the military (our rights are important to me) and imo if asked your opinion you should be able to state it without too much backlash. I know some will not agree, but everyone is entitled to their opinion and the right to answer a question in America. Especially when you're a star on a REALITY TV SHOW ABOUT YOURSELF. He can't give a realistic answer when he's on a reality tv show? Call me crazy, but it seems a bit absurd.
The Following User Says Thank You to motomummy For This Useful Post:
Untamed Entity (12-19-2013)

post #34 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 09:25 PM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untamed Entity View Post
I have a guy on FB commenting saying that Phil is totally in the wrong for saying what he believes in simply because he is on TV and he should only be able to say what others agree is appropriate. So does the fact youre being recorded on TV revoke a persons right to free speech? Man I'd have nothing to say then lol

If that were the case many believe he shouldn't be talking about hunting, enjoying killing animals, etc. Many would agree that killing animals isn't appropriate.
Untamed Entity (12-19-2013)
post #35 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 09:38 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The Robertson Family Offical Statement

"We want to thank all of you for your prayers and support. The family has spent much time in prayer since learning of A&E's decision. We want you to know that first and foremost we are a family rooted in our faith in God and our belief that the Bible is His word. While some of Phils unfiltered comments to the reporter were coarse, his beliefs are grounded in the teachings of the Bible. Phil is a Godly man who follows what the Bible says are the greatest commandments: Love the Lord your God with all your heart and Love your neighbor as yourself. Phil would never incite or encourage hate.We are disappointed that Phil has been placed on hiatus for expressing his faith, which is his constitutionally protected right.We have had a successful working relationship with A&E but, as a family, we cannot imagine the show going forward without our patriarch at the helm. We are in discussions with A&E to see what that means for the future of Duck Dynasty. Again, thank you for your continued support of our family."

Not everybody DOESN'T do those things either!
post #36 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 09:38 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

I don't agree with what was said but I'm kinda surprised no one has said this yet but his first amendment right were not even close to being violated. The right to free speech means the right to say anything without interference or prosecution from the government. It does NOT protect you from suspension or termination from your employer.....just sayin lol

The Following User Says Thank You to Drumming600 For This Useful Post:
Neptune (12-20-2013)
post #37 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 12:07 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Drift Camera Forum - http://driftcamforum.com/
post #38 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 2,461 Times in 1,716 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
OMG, don't bring logic into a thread. What are you thinking?
post #39 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 03:21 PM
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Noam Chomsky: Goebbels was in favor of free speech for views he liked. So was Stalin. If you're really in favor of free speech, then you're in favor of freedom of speech for precisely for views you despise. Otherwise, you're not in favor of free speech.

In this country we talk about freedom of speech yet we hate people for speaking their mind if we disagree with them and love them if we agree with them. If this is the way this person feels nothing wrong with it unless you start acting on it and hurting others in a way our society defines harmful.
post #40 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 04:21 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3dmax View Post
Noam Chomsky: Goebbels was in favor of free speech for views he liked. So was Stalin. If you're really in favor of free speech, then you're in favor of freedom of speech for precisely for views you despise. Otherwise, you're not in favor of free speech.

In this country we talk about freedom of speech yet we hate people for speaking their mind if we disagree with them and love them if we agree with them. If this is the way this person feels nothing wrong with it unless you start acting on it and hurting others in a way our society defines harmful.
True. We all have different beliefs and ideals of life and we should be able to express those truthfully when asked. He didn't go around with a big sign bashing anyone. He was simplybasked to express his ppersonal thoughts. Why is it noone is talking about the part where he states no matter the choices the person is loved the same?

post #41 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 04:41 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:

True. We all have different beliefs and ideals of life and we should be able to express those truthfully when asked. He didn't go around with a big sign bashing anyone. He was simplybasked to express his ppersonal thoughts. Why is it noone is talking about the part where he states no matter the choices the person is loved the same?

post #42 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
[b]

In this country we talk about freedom of speech yet we hate people for speaking their mind if we disagree with them
I am very NON-religious. Yet I will defend a persons right to embrace and celebrate the religion of their choice. What I dislike most is bias and hatred based on a difference of opinion. For example, the gixxer hatred that is expressed here quite often.
post #43 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 09:16 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
- Voltaire

"From the land of Pleasant Living"
The Following User Says Thank You to Baltimoron For This Useful Post:
Kronos (12-22-2013)
post #44 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 09:48 PM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
I am very NON-religious. Yet I will defend a persons right to embrace and celebrate the religion of their choice. What I dislike most is bias and hatred based on a difference of opinion. For example, the gixxer hatred that is expressed here quite often.
Well said. Any "freedom of speech" isn't there to protect what you like, but what you dislike. Not too mention...did A&E not vet him or something? Oh wait, he just converted to Christianity? Christianity just picked up these beliefs? They knew what he was like. Not too mention who is holding him to this high of a standard to where he's too offend as few people as possible? He's not running for public office or the presidency. He was hired "to be himself" and just look at any pic of the family and you expect them to be 100% politically correct? bwhahaha yah right...
Untamed Entity (12-20-2013)
post #45 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 02:20 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Please tell me I'm not the only one that until this storm in a teacup happened thought Duck Dynasty was a Disney spin off cartoon or had something to do with hockey when they heard it.

post #46 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 11:26 AM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PdubRR View Post
Please tell me I'm not the only one that until this storm in a teacup happened thought Duck Dynasty was a Disney spin off cartoon or had something to do with hockey when they heard it.

I actually did until I saw them at the CMA awards and my wife explained to me about the family hahaha. You're not alone.
post #47 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumming600 View Post
I don't agree with what was said but I'm kinda surprised no one has said this yet but his first amendment right were not even close to being violated.
I covered that in the first post.

Quote:

Here is a good overview of freedom of speech.

http://www.uscourts.gov/educational-...ee-speech.aspx
I started this thread to get a discussion going. Sometimes we have to help things along.
post #48 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 01:59 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

[quote=TheX;5759921]I don't agree with the anti-gay views, even though I'm a heterosexual person. The backlash that Phil Robertson is being subjected to, including suspension by A&E is a violation of his first amendment rights. The people that are violating his rights should be the ones that are being punished.

So where did you say his first amendment rights weren't being violated? Lmao

post #49 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 02:05 PM
World Superbike Racer

I have mixed feelings about this. Everyone has their right to say how they feel and their entitled to it. I don't feel like he was bashing the gay community by any means, he just doesn't agree w it, wc he has the right too.

But at the same time he should know better to say something publicly like that, when ur a celeb, if u call him that, u know the media eats up everything u say, will try to twist and turn the truth just to get ratings. So he should have known better to even bring up the topic.

I keep hearing freedom of speech is what America is about on radio stations wc IMO is BS. We don't have freedom of speech, if we did then things like this wouldn't happen. I feel freedom of speech is u can say what u want without bing penalized, fired, sued, etc... As long as ur not saying it in a hurtful, demeaning way that is...

post #50 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 02:29 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Ya know, this is the best discussion I've seen so far on this forum. Due to it being just that, a discussion. I haven't seen any snide remarks towards other users because of their views towards the subject and I think its great. No one is hating on someone else because they dont agree with them. guys.

"Opinions are like A**holes. Everyone has one."

- Untamed Entity -
The Following User Says Thank You to Untamed Entity For This Useful Post:
Neptune (12-21-2013)
post #51 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Quote:

So where did you say his first amendment rights weren't being violated? Lmao
Read my quote, slowly. I think you'll figure it out.
post #52 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 05:41 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Read my quote, slowly. I think you'll figure it out.
No you said the opposite.

post #53 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 10:22 PM
Knee Dragger

The reality is the bible says gays are sinners or whatever nonsense... I find it funny because a lot of Christians now a days support gays but if you are truly Christian you obviously can't..people just manipulate the bible to suit them people are christian and like oh wow I support gays oh dinosaurs existed oh I believe in science...good for him for standing by his belief but ultimately I think religion mainly Christians are stupid and I have nothing against gays...rant

The Following User Says Thank You to Canadian CBR For This Useful Post:
OveRReV (12-22-2013)
post #54 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 10:46 PM
T. BOTM Winner 10/11 Super Female Moderator

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Freedom of speech means he can't be imprisoned for saying it, but there are certainly consequences for what you say. People get fired all the time for stuff they post on social media. If I did anything publicly like that my employer would probably fire or suspend me too

And don't get me started on "what the bible says." Practice what you want, I don't care if you are religious, but according to the bible divorce is a sin too.

2007 CBR600rr Track Whore
2012 CBR600rr Street Slut
2008 BMW Z4M Daily Driver
2015 Tacoma TRD Sport 6 Speed Garage Queen

RIP Chenhan, you are missed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatstud View Post
You little shiit! Haha
Next time I'm not shopping Hello Kitty with ya bwaahaha!
Quote:
Originally Posted by amidnightproject View Post
This song didn't help me poop at all!
2W1R
post #55 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 11:39 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcbr4lyfe View Post
No you said the opposite.

Lol thank you!!!

post #56 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 11:40 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

If you think that your employer can't fire you for something you say, go into work Monday and tell your boss to go f*ck himself....let me know how that works out for you

post #57 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 12:06 AM
*BOTM Feb '11, Mar '12*

Thanked 1,191 Times in 901 Posts
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
If you think that your employer can't fire you for something you say, go into work Monday and tell your boss to go f*ck himself....let me know how that works out for you

That's cute. Except he said this off the air in an interview about his background and opinions. He never acted like a bigot only stated he didn't understand their choice. So if your boss likes your sports team rival he should be ok firing you if he sees you at a Buffalo Wild Wings wearing their jersey. I don't see how this is any different.

post #58 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 12:09 AM
T. BOTM Winner 10/11 Super Female Moderator

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sincalirider View Post
That's cute. Except he said this off the air in an interview about his background and opinions. He never acted like a bigot only stated he didn't understand their choice. So if your boss likes your sports team rival he should be ok firing you if he sees you at a Buffalo Wild Wings wearing their jersey. I don't see how this is any different.
True but in employment at will states you can fire someone for any reason. There is a company that will fire you for smoking on your own free time

2007 CBR600rr Track Whore
2012 CBR600rr Street Slut
2008 BMW Z4M Daily Driver
2015 Tacoma TRD Sport 6 Speed Garage Queen

RIP Chenhan, you are missed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatstud View Post
You little shiit! Haha
Next time I'm not shopping Hello Kitty with ya bwaahaha!
Quote:
Originally Posted by amidnightproject View Post
This song didn't help me poop at all!
2W1R
post #59 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 12:18 AM
*BOTM Feb '11, Mar '12*

Thanked 1,191 Times in 901 Posts
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadRRupleRRGirl View Post
True but in employment at will states you can fire someone for any reason. There is a company that will fire you for smoking on your own free time

If that was the term of his contract than so be it. In the end he was fired for being honest.

post #60 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 12:36 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sincalirider View Post
He compared it to having sex with animals. Went beyond I don't understand it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page