Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

10 days in jail for going 100mph

4K views 92 replies 43 participants last post by  papo600RR 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

My friend got pulled over, clocked at 100mph apparently on the beltway in Virginia. According to him, the bike read 119, but the cop said he was going 100 (bike speedo's are always optimistic). The speed limit is 55. I dunno if he was gunned, tailed, or caught by a plane (Sorry, my details are a little sketchy. I'll try to get more info from him next time I talk to him). Also, I believe he only had his learner's permit at the time (I was the 1st one of my friends to get a bike, and I always tell them to do it the right way, but they never listen to me).

Now, I know people are gonna flame about going that fast, but in his defense, the beltway is probably one of the safest places to go that fast. For those that don't know, the beltway is a 4-lane highway each way, separated by permanent jersey barrier medians, pretty straight, and he was doing this in the middle of the night when there was very little traffic. Honestly, I've done it a couple times before as well, but only for short stretches like 1/4 mile. Plus, 100mph isn't even that fast. People routinely go 90+ in cages around here.

Anyways, I dunno if he actually went to trial yet, but apparently the state of VA want's him to spend 10 days in jail for the offense. I find this a little excessive, but I've heard VA is very strict with their traffic offenses. Can anyone give a little advice as to what my friend can do about this? Thanks (I almost don't wanna help him cuz he got a gixxer 600 against my advice >=) ).

~Dan

See less See more
#3 ·
100 in a 55 is way past careless and reckless here in NC. He deserved to be arrested. If he hasn't been to trial then he is in jail because he could not post his bond....If he has been to trial then I am suprised he received active time for a traffic offense. Do you know his driving record? This could have a lot to do with it.

#6 ·
Wow...doesn't look too good for your buddy. I do think 10 days in jail is a bit excessive. As Ajax said...tell your buddy to get a lawyer. And just as importantly, tell him to keep his mouth shut no matter what. I hope he is not posting on the boards that he thought he was doing 119, but actually only got clocked for 100.

I hope things work-out in his favor.

#7 ·
ok for starters, 100 or higher in VA is considered driving with the intent to kill. i'm 99% positive on that one. he could very well spend time in jail, esp if he's got an ugly record. another thing, I-495, the beltway, IS NOT A SAFE PLACE TO GO THAT FAST!!!!! i lived in No Va for 10 years and first learned to drive there. just because cagers drive 90+ (and yes they do) does not make it safe. imagine a car swerving into your lane at 90+ as your friend is blowing up on their tail over 100... gonna be messy. anywhere on the highways in No Va you should be the absolute most defensive driver on a bike.

ok, rant off. he needs a lawyer or it's gonna get ugly quick.

#8 ·
"and he was doing this in the middle of the night" i don't know how you can call riding in the middle of the night safe. I think any kind of riding in the night is unsafe, given the limited visibility -- especially of the surface of the road.

I've heard that going 100+ mph is a felony.

#10 · (Edited)
Not trying to start an argument or anything, but there were practically no other cars on the road (according to my friend). Yea, he was being stupid, but IMO, I think it's safer than blasting down a 2 lane country road only to find some cager crossing the center line ahead of you.

Also, the beltway is pretty well lit, certainly not as good as daytime, but it's about as good as you can get at night.

#11 ·
of course its never a good idea to go that fast...but i'd imagine we all have been guilty of it at one point or another...

i wonder if his going to jail is b/c he only had his permit and not his license or what?

i've heard here in FL that if you are going double the speed limit they can take you to jail...i haven't done it so i don't know that for a fact...

#12 ·
VA is a bitch about tickets I was over there driving down to NO the weekend of the hurricane, (I didnt know there was gonna be one). I was passing through VA and got pulled over for 77 in a 65. The officer told me that I was being dangerous going so fast. (Um I was going like 3mph fasterthan traffic around me) I was in a cage btw. Anyhow he said if I was doing 80+ its considered wreckless driving in va. He gave me a speeding ticket and let me go.

#14 ·
danimal said:
Plus, 100mph isn't even that fast. People routinely go 90+ in cages around here.

NO CHIT

That friggin road scares me, I take it on my way to the south eastern states. I would never even think of taking a bike on that road to begin with. And if you have to, I'd say go faster than the others and so at least your not going to get creamed from behind

#15 ·
i topped out on the highway. most of us are guilty of trying to hit the redline on 6th at one point.

well my balls shrunk that night. scary fast.

now tell him to stop speeding....we got lucky.

#17 · (Edited)
ok, i like this one.
i personally have never been on 495 with my bike but i can tell you, with all the peopel in the military that come to VA from all over the country VA has some crazy ass drivers, so thats that.
now i didnt know about that intent to kill that BlueBur mention but quite honestly, it doesnt suprise me.
80+ is reckless
90+ your asking to be locked up
riding on a permit just dug yourself a deeper hole, cause hes not supposed to be on the HWY without a licensed rider accompanying him or ride at night or have passengers.

Bottom line VA help fuk my driving record up, i was absolutely clean till i came here...
the 10 days is like the basic for a reckless driving ticket, get a lawyer and he may just be able to stay out of jail.

i had reckless, with no speed caus ei was gone before he could point the radar at me, and attempting to evade, and im still here, after a $450 fine + court fees, not to mention the $750 i gave the lawyer after my 25% discount that PPL got me.
My record wasnt crappy tho, a couple tickets and an accident, thats it. if your boy gets a lawyer and has a descent record, or a really relaly good lawyer that knows people he can stay out of jail, and keep a lot of money flowing out of his pocket.

i hate VAs ticketing policies they dont play dude, tell your boy to make sure he finds a lawyer in that area, if he finds some joker that wants under $400 i say keep looking, cause he prolly wont help you, if he does get a good one, he should be good.

as for going faster than traffic, well if you dont your taking a bigger risk that us that do, cause them fukos will wax that ass, i stay infront, and when i find myself surrounded, yep, its time to drop it down 2 and take off.
i personally love riding from Norfolk to DC on I-95, but you gotta be alert as a mawfugga tho, especially at night, or in rain, i cant tell you home many times ive been cut off or str8 come into my lane cause they dont see me, but when i stop cruising and start gunning oh they hear my ass with that damn Jardine. problem is cops hear me too.

#19 ·
I-564 i s agood place to try, but make sure you have a friend at the end or cruise by looking for cops first, cause thats where they chill at.

#20 ·
That's probably the maximum that can happen to him, usually they'll tell you if found guilty you could face such and such fines. I'm sure it's the same case though i've never heard of jail time for a traffic offense unless it's really serious. They sound really strict out there, over here if you're not doing 80-90 on the highway people are flying by you, no joke. Last season I got pulled over for doing 96 and only got a warning.

#22 ·
oh trust me dude, this is VA they'll lock your ass up.
they had one of my Marines locked up, he had to serve liek 5 weekends in jail so he could still come to work and not be charged UA.

plus the kid i bought my bike from he has to serve 17 count them 17 weekends in jail because the NN judge was tired of seeing him, 5 reckless driving charges over 2 years, and 3 in like the last 5 months, so they hooked him up, and all of his were wheelies...

#23 ·
VA is crazy. I got nailed in MD on Beltway in my car at 98mph. HAD a perfect record and got smashed with $545 dollar fine (ouch) and 5pts on my record (ooooh the pain).

LAWYER UP!!!!!!

#26 ·
100 Mph on the VA beltway!!! thats crazy Va state boys dont play. I just moved from there and always played by the rules in Virginia.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.