Funny noob story...yes, the noob in this story is me. - 600RR.net
General Discussion General Honda CBR600RR Motorcycle Talk - please place mods, tech tips and off topic threads in the correct forums.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Funny noob story...yes, the noob in this story is me.

Long post ahead! Cliff notes at the bottom if you dont feel like reading.

Alright, just for some background here: I got my bike last Tuesday and I have loved every second riding it. Ive put over 500 miles on i t in the past few days. Im hooked....Ok, onto the story.

I work graveyard shift and I get home 7/7:30ish every AM. So I get home yesterday and just as i get home I remember I needed to run over to walmart to grab some things before this weekend, so might as well do it now. So I hit the cutoff, go in the house and tell my mom im heading out. She tells me she already got the stuff the night before so I wouldnt have to go grab it and I could just go to sleep. So I do.

I had a long night at work and got little sleep the night before so I slept a good 11 hours till 8PM. Start getting ready for work again arround 9 and realize I cant find my bike key. *CRAP!* I realize I never went back out to turn off my bike when I was planning on going to walmart! Tried to start....nothing. Dead battery. Luckily I have a car so I take that to work.

Fast-forward to this morning: I get home from work arround the same time and, after looking up on the forums not to jump start with a car because of the battery difference, I call up my buddy whos got a Ninja 650R and ask him to come over to give me a jump. He agrees and says hes on his way.

He arrives, proceeds to laugh at me for my noobish mistake, then we get down to business. Jump start the bike, let it run for a while and im golden. Neither of us have anything to do till later on in the day, and i needed to ride arround anyways to charge the battery back up, so we figure we will go for a little AM cruise. I lift my bike, kick it in 1st, start to go...stall...DAMN! left the kickstand down! And whaddaya know, it wont start back up.

So my buddy, after laughing quite a bit again, pulls up next to me and we undo everything once again and jump it once again. Let it sit for a while, and its good to go. I hop on, kickstand up, kick it in 1st, and were off! We get down my street, make a left then a right and onto the bigger street. Pull up to a light behind some cars, start chatting for a bit, light goes green, he takes off, I go to take off....stall...and guess what? You guessed it! Wont start again.

Luckily we were right next to a dirt field with a driveway. I pulled my bike into there and my buddy, this time not laughing, took off to go grab the jumpers again. I get everything ready for the jump and he comes back, jumpers on the shoulder. So we jump it once again. Everything is fine and dandy. We grab the stuff, and start off back to my place to drop it off so we can get on with the cruise. I stuffed the cables in my jacket so I pulled up into my driveway to get them out. Put down the kickstand, engine goes off. UGH!!! I didnt put it in neutral. And yes, still doesnt have enough juice to start back up on its own.

So now my buddy is pretty frustrated and swears if my bike goes off again hes leaving. Which in turn gets me worried and lets me know I actually need to think about crap before I do it. So, for the 4th time, we jump it again. After this time we immediatly head to the freeway and make sure it gets enough revs in there to charge that sucker back up. Luckily, I made it this time and we were off for a little cruise, but not after having to deal with a load of BS before!

This proves my motto: Its always somethin'

(sorry for the long post)

Cliff notes: Left bike in 'on' over-night, battery went dead, took 4 jumpstarts to finally get the batter charged due to my stupidness. (not sure if thats a word, but thats what best describes it) lol!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 01:00 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Stupidness is not a word you should have opted for stupidity. I agree with you, you are retarded.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 01:00 PM
Knee Dragger

After the second time I don't know if I'd jump you again or not. Anyhow it's a really good idea to have a battery tender/charger and now you've got a good reason to get one.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 01:19 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Too bad you don't know how to get out of 1st without stalling it. Then you would have needed to only jump it once.

"What if I had never tried it?"
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 01:34 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

wow your friend is really nice. I would have left ya after the 2nd jump, haha

Wootbike.com | 2007 Black 600RR

A Harley-Davidson represents the most effecient way to convert gasoline into noise without the side effect of horsepower.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 01:34 PM
Mad Chemist

Can't you just push start it, or will it fire up with a low battery. I never had to try.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 01:38 PM
Knightslugger

Who told you not to use a car battery? that would have worked just fine. but hey, whatever. you could have also bump started it too (like i've done) but hey, whatever.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 01:42 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

I've used a car to jump start my sv before without any problems at all.

Wootbike.com | 2007 Black 600RR

A Harley-Davidson represents the most effecient way to convert gasoline into noise without the side effect of horsepower.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy_o
Too bad you don't know how to get out of 1st without stalling it. Then you would have needed to only jump it once.

That was only my 2nd time ever stalling it. It just had to happen today to make everything harder than it actually was. haha

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 02:07 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

wow 9 balls are stupid

2005 BLACK/ TRIBAL - TOTALED (INSERT TEARS HERE)

RIDING A BROKEN LEFT WRIST BUT MY MOTARD IS STILL IN FRONT OF THE HOUSE SAYING RIDE ME RIDE ME.....

"TOURISTS ARE TERRORIST WITH CAMERAS, TERRORISTS ARE TOURISTS WITH GUNS" :73:
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 02:14 PM
Mad Chemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy_o
It might just be some of the RR's. When mine was new, the clutch had no slip at all. you had to rev the RR to 6000 rpm's just to take off from a stop. It finally broke in after a couple hundred miles.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 02:26 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslugger
Who told you not to use a car battery? that would have worked just fine.
Correct.

Just for future reference, jump starting from a car is fine, so long as the car is not running.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 02:30 PM
Knee Dragger

Why would you shut the car off ^^^ A motorcycle battery wont put alot of strain on the altenator and plus it would charge faster.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 02:31 PM
Knightslugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendizzo
Correct.
so long as the car is not running.
^ I have no idea why this was said. It's bollocks.

Last edited by Knightslugger; 08-11-2006 at 02:45 PM.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 03:17 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Lew
Why would you shut the car off ^^^ A motorcycle battery wont put alot of strain on the altenator and plus it would charge faster.

With the car running it wiill throw too many amps into your Motorcycle, in turn frying your small solenoid (sp)..

APEX JUNKIE!!!!

Just because you put tap shoes on an elephant does not mean it can dance. War Eagle!

Last edited by silveRRocket; 08-11-2006 at 03:22 PM.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 03:22 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Can't jump it with a car? Could have fooled me, I've done it at least 50 times with 8 different bikes.

Jay Holland
Low Down Racing - center garage #6
LRRS / CCS / WERA # 949
Team Bridgestone
Underground Supercycle

Anyone can finance a sportbike, very few will ever be riders.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 03:25 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hessogood
Can't jump it with a car? Could have fooled me, I've done it at least 50 times with 8 different bikes.
consider your self lucky, the very first time I did, I learned my lesson right off the bat. I was trying to get an old 1978 gold wing running and fried the solenoid jump starting it, I now own a battery tender.

APEX JUNKIE!!!!

Just because you put tap shoes on an elephant does not mean it can dance. War Eagle!

post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 03:26 PM
Knightslugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by silveRRocket
With the car running it wiill throw too many amps into your Motorcycle, in turn frying your small solenoid (sp)..
Your spelling is correct, however, that's not how electricity works. it will do no such thing. the solenoid on this bike is really no bigger than an automotive grade solenoid.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 03:27 PM
Knee Dragger

All this can't jump it with a car crap is just that - crap. Running or not, jumping a bike with a car will not hurt the bike in any way, shape or form. Aside from the fact that the "extra amp" thing is a complete myth, your motorcycle is protected by a main fuse that will blow before anything is fried.
The battery can take it, the motorcycle can take it. You can jump with a car with no ill affect.
You can also put it in second and just bump start it.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 03:28 PM
Knightslugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bda116
All this can't jump it with a car crap is just that - crap. Running or not, jumping a bike with a car will not hurt the bike in any way, shape or form. Aside from the fact that the "extra amp" thing is a complete myth, your motorcycle is protected by a main fuse that will blow before anything is fried.
The battery can take it, the motorcycle can take it. You can jump with a car with no ill affect.
You can also put it in second and just bump start it.
or third...
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

I love how this post got off the subject of my stupidity. Keep it goin guys! lol

post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 03:29 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslugger
Your spelling is correct, however, that's not how electricity works. it will do no such thing. the solenoid on this bike is really no bigger than an automotive grade solenoid.

Thanks, no biggie, I'm a long way away from being a mechanic anyway, just going by what some told me I did wrong.

APEX JUNKIE!!!!

post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 03:49 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: -1 reviews
Push her like a man possessed and pop the clutch next time!

WERA Novice #34

'08 1098

'05 600RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page