Cbr600rr Suspension & Weight - 600RR.net
General Discussion General Honda CBR600RR Motorcycle Talk - please place mods, tech tips and off topic threads in the correct forums.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cbr600rr Suspension & Weight

Hello, I've been riding for a year on a ninja 300 and recently sold it off to go onto a 600. I'm looking towards a 2013-2015 Honda Cbr600rr abs.

I'm 5'5 with a 29-30" leg inseam. I weigh 140lb without gear. I usually ride in full leather gear so I guess you can add another 15-20lb there I'm guessing?

1) I recently have been studying motorcycle's more as I have some experience under my belt now and found that you should be adjusting the suspension to your weight which I didn't do on the ninja 300. At 140 pounds (without gear) I personally think I might have to change out the stock spring on the cbr600rr according to some youtube video's.

-Which spring should I be getting & from where? Will I need front & rear spring change?
-After buying that spring and adjusting it to my weight, how much do you think the stock 32.3" seat height will go down by?

I'm aiming to do whatever I can without lowering the bike to hit 1.4" lower seat height then stock. So aiming for 30.9" because the ninja 300 was 30.9" and it was perfect for me & I was able to flat foot both sides which I really want.

2) I read on Corbin's website that their Corbin seat reduces the seat height by 0.3" (from 32.3" to 32").
- For the Corbin seat owner's, is this true?

Thanks!

Last edited by rpnp; 11-23-2017 at 12:41 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to rpnp For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (12-04-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 04:18 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpnp View Post
Hello, I've been riding for a year on a ninja 300 and recently sold it off to go onto a 600. I'm looking towards a 2013-2015 Honda Cbr600rr abs.

I'm 5'5 with a 29-30" leg inseam. I weigh 140lb without gear. I usually ride in full leather gear so I guess you can add another 15-20lb there I'm guessing?

1) I recently have been studying motorcycle's more as I have some experience under my belt now and found that you should be adjusting the suspension to your weight which I didn't do on the ninja 300. At 140 pounds (without gear) I personally think I might have to change out the stock spring on the cbr600rr according to some youtube video's.

-Which spring should I be getting & from where? Will I need front & rear spring change?
-After buying that spring and adjusting it to my weight, how much do you think the stock 32.3" seat height will go down by?

I'm aiming to do whatever I can without lowering the bike to hit 1.4" lower seat height then stock. So aiming for 30.9" because the ninja 300 was 30.9" and it was perfect for me & I was able to flat foot both sides which I really want.

2) I read on Corbin's website that their Corbin seat reduces the seat height by 0.3" (from 32.3" to 32").
- For the Corbin seat owner's, is this true?

Thanks!
Came off of a 300 myself, Yamaha YZF R3, then acquired a 2014 600RR. Being a paltry 140 lbs at 5'7", I decided to have the bike suspension redone at Triple T Suspension. Least to say I'm flatfooted on both sides without having to lower the bike and I'm loving the ride quality. The recommendations for my weight are as follows:
Rear: Stock: 10.9 kg/mm - Recommended: 9.1 kg/mm
Front: Stock: 0.95 kg/mm - Recommended: 0.86 kg/mm
Good Luck and let me know if i can help in any way.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GT592 For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (12-04-2017), rpnp (11-30-2017)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2017, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Did they replace your front and back suspension/springs for those recommendations?
How much did it all cost?
Did it lower the bike a bit?
Thanks.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2017, 01:45 PM
Knee Dragger

I have a similar inside leg measurement and I have no issues with getting both feet on the ground. You don't need them to be flat, the balls of your feet are enough. Most of the time you just need one foot on the floor anyway. So I wouldn't worry.

If you fit the right spring for your weight and the sag is set correctly, then there should be no appreciable difference in the height of the seat as the springs will be the same length.

You are quite light so you will probably benefit from a lighter spring to OE.

If you lower the bike front and rear too much from standard you will move away from the optimum and your handling will suffer as the centre of gravity will be moved. Also your pegs will hit the ground at less lean.

I would strongly recommend going to someone you know is a suspension expert (ask around to find someone close to you or someone you can mail the shock and forks to) as they will get the bike set up just right for the kind of riding you do (track or road).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ruby Racing For This Useful Post:
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2017, 03:45 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Did they replace your front and back suspension/springs for those recommendations?
How much did it all cost?
Did it lower the bike a bit?
Thanks.
@rpnp, Total cost was approx $650.00 which included unistalling/ installing the front fork and rear shock. Had I uninstalled the front fork and rear shock and taken them to be done, the cost would have been approximately $200.00 less.
Both Rear shock and Front fork springs were replaced per recommendation. I think the height came down a bit, but nothing significant.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GT592 For This Useful Post:
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-30-2017, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Racing View Post
I have a similar inside leg measurement and I have no issues with getting both feet on the ground. You don't need them to be flat, the balls of your feet are enough. Most of the time you just need one foot on the floor anyway. So I wouldn't worry.

If you fit the right spring for your weight and the sag is set correctly, then there should be no appreciable difference in the height of the seat as the springs will be the same length.

You are quite light so you will probably benefit from a lighter spring to OE.

If you lower the bike front and rear too much from standard you will move away from the optimum and your handling will suffer as the centre of gravity will be moved. Also your pegs will hit the ground at less lean.

I would strongly recommend going to someone you know is a suspension expert (ask around to find someone close to you or someone you can mail the shock and forks to) as they will get the bike set up just right for the kind of riding you do (track or road).
My toes on both sides touch the ground but I just FEEL safer being able to touch both feet on the ground is all.
Surprising how we are the same inseam and you're able to touch both feet flat on the ground.
Are you wearing Moto boots all the time? Most Moto boots have 1-2" heel hence enabling to touch both feet on the ground.

Thanks.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-30-2017, 06:46 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
My toes on both sides touch the ground but I just FEEL safer being able to touch both feet on the ground is all.
Surprising how we are the same inseam and you're able to touch both feet flat on the ground.
Are you wearing Moto boots all the time? Most Moto boots have 1-2" heel hence enabling to touch both feet on the ground.

Thanks.
I can understand why you would want both feet flat on the floor, however you only need one. Look at it this way, if the bike was going to fall over you only have one leg that will be stopping it going down.

Yes, always ride in motorcycle boots, in fact always ride in full leathers. Bad enough falling off a bicycle at speed without protection.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ruby Racing For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (12-04-2017)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-30-2017, 06:50 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
GP SUSPENSION has good selection and service, price is right.

go to racetech website for spring calculator.

cost for f/r springs s/b about $250?

imho
The Following User Says Thank You to tary preisser For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (12-04-2017)
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 02:58 AM
Pocketbike Racer

I have the exact same stature as you and I think you'll get used to the seat height pretty quickly. These bikes are light so using just your left leg to keep it balanced should be easy.

https://www.600rr.net/vb/signaturepics/sigpic42905_2.gif
The Following User Says Thank You to baodown For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (12-04-2017)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 03:00 PM
Training Wheel Hero

I have a Corbin seat that the last owner installed and I love it. That said, I can't compare to stock because I've never been on one.

As far as touching, if you can get your toes down, you'll be OK. I'm 5'7" with a 30" inseam and am perfectly comfortable with one foot down. Yes, I do need to be careful that I don't stop over a super uneven surface, but that's a very rare issue. In my personal opinion, I see no use in adjusting the suspension -- on a bike meant for racing -- to accommodate the time that you'll have your feet on the ground.

You bought the bike to ride, not to sit on with both feet flat on the ground!

'94 3000GT - FWD Twin Turbo Swap - SOLD :'( Build Thread
'04 4Runner - V6 Sport Edition
'05 CBR 600RR - The slow vehicle ;)
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 08:03 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

If you can adjust the oem suspension to proper sag then lighter springs won't change anything height wise. If you cannot reach proper sag [which you shouldn't at your weight] then it will only lower the bike the MM's needed to get to proper sag. So if sag is say 40mm [not actual numbers] and you can only get 20mm, then proper springs will only lower the bike 20mm overall.

'06 F4i- Yoshimura RS-3C, Racetech springs and valves, Ohlin's rear shock, steel brake lines, 520 conversion. 87k miles and counting.....
'08 600RR- Stripped trackbike. CRG shorty brake lever, goodridge front brake lines
'15 1000RR- weekend toy
------Disclaimer: I can't spell------
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 07:32 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Pretty much exactly the same size and leg as I am. Just ride it as it is, I don't have any problems. I can't flat foot it with both feet (just barely tip toes) but I can flat foot one foot usually, that's all you need. I went from a 125 to this 600 with that and haven't had any issues with the size yet I find it easier to move infact.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page