Will Honda Redesign the CBR600rr? - 600RR.net
General Discussion General Honda CBR600RR Motorcycle Talk - please place mods, tech tips and off topic threads in the correct forums.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Will Honda Redesign the CBR600rr?

Hi all,

I've always wanted a supersport and the 600RR has always been my #1 choice. Haven't really been up to date with the news surrounding this bike but I've heard that maybe the end for the 600RR is near...

Looking at the 2018 600RR I was sad to see it's only available in one colorway, while the 2017/18 Yamaha R6 is offered in multiple beautiful color schemes and although the engine is the same, the new body looks beautiful.

It's sad because I feel like Honda doesn't care for the 600RR anymore, while Yamaha still cares about their 600 class, making their R6 look as good as Ducatis (IMO).

I don't know, for someone who doesn't have a supersport yet, and looking at them, it seems like Yamaha would be the choice, just seeing the effort it looks like Yamaha is putting in. It's a shame because I've always wanted a CBR.

What are your thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 11:16 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Multiple talking points here. I haven't heard of any plans to redesign the 600rr mechanically or aesthetically and to your point it was even questionable as to if they would even produce the rr this last year (if I remember correctly it was something related to funding to meet emission standards/changes. Someone else can probably add more to that). They spent more time on the 1000rr. I'm sure we will see the 600rr in the years to come with the basic color changes but I think the market for brand new 600's isn't booming and there probably just isn't enough incentive for Honda to completely revamp it. The Yamaha is a good looking bike and if you have some experience on a smaller machine it would be a great bike to hone in on but ultimately any 600 is a capable bike and it all comes down to what you are looking for in a bike. Realistically most people are not riding a 600 to its ability so the performance gap between any of the 600's isn't going to matter truthfully.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by clilholt View Post
Multiple talking points here. I haven't heard of any plans to redesign the 600rr mechanically or aesthetically and to your point it was even questionable as to if they would even produce the rr this last year (if I remember correctly it was something related to funding to meet emission standards/changes. Someone else can probably add more to that). They spent more time on the 1000rr. I'm sure we will see the 600rr in the years to come with the basic color changes but I think the market for brand new 600's isn't booming and there probably just isn't enough incentive for Honda to completely revamp it. The Yamaha is a good looking bike and if you have some experience on a smaller machine it would be a great bike to hone in on but ultimately any 600 is a capable bike and it all comes down to what you are looking for in a bike. Realistically most people are not riding a 600 to its ability so the performance gap between any of the 600's isn't going to matter truthfully.
Yeah I'm familiar with the 600 class, and know from a performance stand point - it's pretty much identical.

So when it comes down to it, I was going to get the one that I think just looks the best. I'm in the minority where I always thought the CBR looked the best, but with the new R6s I think they take the cake easily. I was just hoping maybe someone had info on whether or not the CBR would get a similar redesign from at least the bodywork perspective like the R6.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 11:56 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Personally I have no experience with the R6, but I did notice they seemed to be doing well at the few races I attended (as a spectator).
Also I spoke with a young man at the local ride-in who has an R6, he claimed to have researched extensively all comparable models, and told me the R6 is the most economical to run long term.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 12:21 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksluna View Post
Yeah I'm familiar with the 600 class, and know from a performance stand point - it's pretty much identical.

So when it comes down to it, I was going to get the one that I think just looks the best. I'm in the minority where I always thought the CBR looked the best, but with the new R6s I think they take the cake easily. I was just hoping maybe someone had info on whether or not the CBR would get a similar redesign from at least the bodywork perspective like the R6.

I wouldn't hold your breath then for a Honda redesign. While they could surprise us and come out with a new 600rr I don't see it happening in the next few years. If looks speaks the loudest to you (and there's nothing wrong with that) the R6 is great choice and there's a reason its popular among racers. Good luck with your purchase!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by clilholt View Post
I wouldn't hold your breath then for a Honda redesign. While they could surprise us and come out with a new 600rr I don't see it happening in the next few years. If looks speaks the loudest to you (and there's nothing wrong with that) the R6 is great choice and there's a reason its popular among racers. Good luck with your purchase!
bummer. I've always been a honda fan
but between the new R6 and the CBR, it's just not close.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 04:56 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

They are both the same bikes they have been since 2008 basically, but yamaha changed the bodywork. That's not an upgrade IMO, because it rides the same. Nobody is actually upgrading the 600's. Cost about the same to make as a 1000, but they make at least a couple grand less in purchase price. They want to let 600's die IMO. According to SO MANY people on here, they canceled the 600RR this year too, although wierdly enough here it is for sale in one color. So you probably shouldn't listen to the internet when it comes to these things.....

'06 F4i- Yoshimura RS-3C, Racetech springs and valves, Ohlin's rear shock, steel brake lines, 520 conversion. 87k miles and counting.....
'08 600RR- Stripped trackbike. CRG shorty brake lever, goodridge front brake lines
'15 1000RR- weekend toy
------Disclaimer: I can't spell------
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 07:54 AM
DnD
Training Wheel Hero

The information I have, and it's from reputable Australian journalists (stop laughing) is that getting a 600cc super sports bike to meet euro4 emissions targets is just too hard.
These bikes simply rev too hard and therefore have dirty emissions.
Adding to that, globally the sports bike market (and all motorcycle sales) is so far down the toilet and its not likely to improve any time soon.
So making a very high performance high tech motorcycle that is extremely difficult to get through emissions testing is just too hard.
It's a crying bloody shame though, they are brilliant bikes.
The Following User Says Thank You to DnD For This Useful Post:
498cm3 (01-20-2018)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 09:52 AM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DnD View Post
The information I have, and it's from reputable Australian journalists (stop laughing) is that getting a 600cc super sports bike to meet euro4 emissions targets is just too hard.
These bikes simply rev too hard and therefore have dirty emissions.
Adding to that, globally the sports bike market (and all motorcycle sales) is so far down the toilet and its not likely to improve any time soon.
So making a very high performance high tech motorcycle that is extremely difficult to get through emissions testing is just too hard.
It's a crying bloody shame though, they are brilliant bikes.
While what you’re hearing may have some truth to it, @bored&stroked hit the main point as to why there are no real changes to the 600’s and they are dying off:

It costs (roughly) the same amount to produce a 600 as a liter bike and you can charge far more for the liter than a 600.

Where I don’t agree was his take on the online demise of the 600RR; while there was some speculation as it being completely gone, the main reason the talk started was because it’s not Euro 4 compliant, something that will kill it off in Europe once it’s time runs out so it will go away very soon if it hasn’t already. Honda can, and probably will, offer it elsewhere until it sees fit to not because the tooling has long since paid for itself so it’s costs very little to produce a few with new colors in hopes they sell. But it will be gone in the near future.

The sport bike scene is dying/dead and only the diehards still support it which is why liters are the only thing being updated and even then most are half assed attempts compared to the past. Even after all the buzz over the “updated” R6, in my area you can still buy new, unsold R6’s. The few that wanted them bought them, the rest sit waiting yo be blown out like all the other 600’s get.

It is the state of the sport as it currently sits.

- '17 Ducati Supersport S
- '13 Kymco Super 8 150
- '11 Triumph Sprint GT
- '10 Yamaha WR250R
- Past rides: too many to list

Last edited by Miweber929; 01-20-2018 at 10:07 AM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 07:06 PM
Pocketbike Racer

The good thing about poor 600 and even 1000 sales, though, is that great deals can be found for old stock bikes. 60th anniversary R6 for 9.5k, 2015 cbr1000rr for 9k at my local dealer.

Besides, it's not like the current crop of 600cc bikes are lacking performance. As I say all the time my 03 600RR still kicks but.

Hell, my 94 600 f2 was still bloody fast!

2003 Honda CBR600RR
- Renthal Sprockets (15/45) - DID 520ERV3
- Micron Slip on - Pair/EVAP delete
- SS front brake lines - Gilles Rearsets
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in