Cam chain tensioner - 600RR.net
General Discussion General Honda CBR600RR Motorcycle Talk - please place mods, tech tips and off topic threads in the correct forums.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 05:20 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cam chain tensioner

I know this topic has been covered many times,but as I’m new to 600cc I’m trying to do all my own maintenance etc. I’ve read a great deal on the cct sticking etc,but what I need to know to check mine is once I take the 8mm bolt out of the end,can I just wind the tensioner in with an appropriate screwdriver (assuming this is clockwise)then just pull the screwdriver out and let the tensioner pop back out in to place or is it not this simple?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 11:52 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Are you taking about using an OEM tensioner, or an adjustable tensioner? An OEM tensioner will come with a little locking pin already installed, so it keeps the tensioner pin in place.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 12:22 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Unless you hear excessive rattling coming from the throttle side (the side with the CCT) around 3-5k RPM I don't know that its worth checking.

A lot of screwdrivers are hard to fit in the space where the CCT is mounted. With the CCT off the bike, you can definitely fit smaller screwdrivers in there so the dimensions of the flathead are typically right. You can cut your own tool out of some scrap metal if you have it available, its just a long flat piece with a square head to lock the CCT. Try searching for CCT tool dimensions on google with site:600rr.net. Someone measured it out for people who want to cut their own.

I do not recommend just yanking the screwdriver out with the CCT fully retracted and unloading against the cam chain with full force. Release it slowly or if you already yanked the tool just retract it like a half turn and let it back out slowly. The point is to have the tensioner come to rest on the chain instead of unloading the full force of the spring into the chain. Some people might think this is wasted effort or not entirely true but that how I treat mine. In my mind the full force of the spring unloading from full unwind may slightly over-tension the chain.

'03 600 RR - ~33,000 miles (14,000 from me)
Yoshimura RS-5 Slip on - Arrow Stainless Headers - BMC Street Filter - PCV - EK 520 Chain on Driven Sprockets - CoreMoto Stainless Lines (F+R) - Dan Kyle PAIR Delete - The2Wheels Shorty Levers - Vortex V3 Rearsets - Woodcraft Frame Sliders & Bar Ends - Woodcraft Stator and Clutch Covers - Cox Radiator Guard - Renthal Dual Compound Grips - 1000RR Kill Switch and Throttle Housing - TST IT and FE - Proton Flushmounts

Last edited by G Money; 03-22-2018 at 12:25 PM.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Yes the oem tensioner,I was going to check mine is working/tensioning correctly by winding it in a little then releasing,but I suppose the best way to check that is by removing it and checking?
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 02:23 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Like G money said you would be wasting your time to remove the tensioner and "check" it.

The best way to check it is to start the bike, and rev it lightly while listening for a rattle in the area of the cam chain.

You will know when your cam chain needs replacing. Don't waste your time doing pointless work.

2003 Honda CBR600RR
- Renthal Sprockets (15/45) - DID 520ERV3
- Micron Slip on - Pair/EVAP delete
- SS front brake lines - Gilles Rearsets
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 05:05 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

There is nothing to check. The tensioner isn't failing as in its not applying tension. The rattle is literally just an annoyance.

'06 F4i- Yoshimura RS-3C, Racetech springs and valves, Ohlin's rear shock, steel brake lines, 520 conversion. 87k miles and counting.....
'08 600RR- Stripped trackbike. CRG shorty brake lever, goodridge front brake lines
'15 1000RR- weekend toy
------Disclaimer: I can't spell------
The Following User Says Thank You to bored&stroked For This Useful Post:
SaratogaLED (03-24-2018)
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 07:45 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I think your interpretation of what you read about the CCT may be slightly off. I don't see how the tensioner could be "sticking". The contact point is getting coated in oil from the cam chain unless your oil is sludge in which case you have bigger problems.

Like bored&stroked said, a bad tensioner doesn't apply enough tension. Or like I said in my original post, you've slightly over-tensioned it by allowing it to unload rapidly from fully retracted position.

The best way to check is slowly increase the revs to 5k while listening to the right side of the engine. Unless it sounds like you're chewing rocks its fine. I replaced mine because I thought the chain was loud and the new OEM CCT did nothing for the noise if that makes you feel any better. Post a video with good audio if you really think it needs replacing. Or search for videos of bad CCT on 600rr.

'03 600 RR - ~33,000 miles (14,000 from me)
Yoshimura RS-5 Slip on - Arrow Stainless Headers - BMC Street Filter - PCV - EK 520 Chain on Driven Sprockets - CoreMoto Stainless Lines (F+R) - Dan Kyle PAIR Delete - The2Wheels Shorty Levers - Vortex V3 Rearsets - Woodcraft Frame Sliders & Bar Ends - Woodcraft Stator and Clutch Covers - Cox Radiator Guard - Renthal Dual Compound Grips - 1000RR Kill Switch and Throttle Housing - TST IT and FE - Proton Flushmounts
The Following User Says Thank You to G Money For This Useful Post:
Hondarep (05-13-2018)
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 06:15 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by cips007 View Post
I know this topic has been covered many times,but as I’m new to 600cc I’m trying to do all my own maintenance etc. I’ve read a great deal on the cct sticking etc,but what I need to know to check mine is once I take the 8mm bolt out of the end,can I just wind the tensioner in with an appropriate screwdriver (assuming this is clockwise)then just pull the screwdriver out and let the tensioner pop back out in to place or is it not this simple?
It will rattle somewhere between 3000 and 5000 rpm. Some are much louder than others. It is not an issue of tension on the chain it is the tip of the plunger resonating back and forth making a racket at certain RPMs. You can take the CCT out and spread the pin that the plunger rides on to quiet it down but the CCT is a PITA to get to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tensioner tool.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	198170  

Last edited by SaratogaLED; 03-24-2018 at 06:26 AM.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 05:45 AM
Pocketbike Racer

I've ridden for years with a stuck tensioner. It's loud as hell, and potentially very dangerous. What is the purpose of the tensioner? The purpose is to apply tension to the cam chain, if the cam chain skips a tooth, your engine is immediately out of time, and you could be looking at a real fkkkkd up day.

Sure the tensioner is a pain in the ass to replace on 2007+ but it is not impossible. Don't bother "checking" it, just replace it. Myself I replaced it with another OEM "automatic" tensioner, and to this day so far so good (even though I didn't get both tensioner bolts equally tightened).
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 10:07 AM
Training Wheel Hero

I was also one of those that read too many "excessive cam chain noise" post's and maybe I was one of the lucky ones. I replaced mine about a month ago at 24k miles, honestly it made very little difference. The old tensioner's spring resistance felt identical to the brand new one even with all those miles on it. I already had mine opened up checking valves, replacing spark plugs etc, so of course i went ahead and replaced it and don't feel like i wasted too much time. I guess now i have the peace of mind though.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Thanks guys
I think it’s the “peace of mind”thing,but I’m going to leave it alone!
Thanks
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 11:01 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cips007 View Post
Thanks guys
I think it’s the “peace of mind”thing,but I’m going to leave it alone!
Thanks
Yeah, I mean if you aren't getting the rattle, or bag of marbles sound, then of course leave it alone, it is working fine. The less things you take apart the less things you could do wrong putting it back together. General rule of thumb when working on bikes, cars, etc...
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

https://youtu.be/A8lDuM7JZHw
Here’s a link to my “noise/rattle
The Following User Says Thank You to cips007 For This Useful Post:
Hondarep (05-12-2018)
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 04:00 AM
Pocketbike Racer

I think you should just enjoy your bike. If you have to question if there is a problem, and can't tell if there actually is, you might just be nit-picking. It's just a motorcycle, and it won't last forever. Enjoy the hell out of it, ride it, and don't think twice about a little tick or rattle here or there. If there is a serious problem it will be obvious, and you will know for sure without having to ask anyone.

You may not know what the cause of the problem is, but you will know there is a problem - you feel me?

To date on all your threads, your bike appears normal to me. Now stop making excuses and get out there and ride it.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Gotcha mate,that’s what I’ve decided to do,ride and enjoy 👍
I am going to replace the ctt with an oem automatic,but after a few replies to my thread stating don’t just pull the key/screwdriver out on the retracted adjuster and let the adjuster out at full force onto the cam chain,but isn’t that what the special key is inserted for,to bolt on the tensioner housing and release the special tool once bolted down?

Last edited by cips007; 05-12-2018 at 10:57 AM.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 01:15 PM
Knee Dragger

Hey have a look at your service manual, their available online. Full of information on all the parts and how to access, replace etc
https://ownersmanuals2.com/honda/cbr...s-manual-60891

It's a common noise, just recently noticed it myself. Beginning to think it's normal. So i took a video of my bikes sound yesterday and noticed it sounds very similar to a video that was taken 2 years ago, I know. So got me thinking, i hadn't been on the bike for a few months and was probably paying more attention to the exhaust sound over the engine and a combination of other issues meant i was looking for problems, have to admit.

if it helps, mine sounds exactly the same. Does the sound fade slightly when pulling the clutch..just curious?

Anyway Enjoy
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Hi
I’ve tried pulling the clutch and it’s still there (obviously a slight difference when a clutch is pulled on any engine)only on cold start for approx few minutes and goes once fully warmed,I can’t hear it at any rev range while riding either,so just cold start ups at moment

Last edited by cips007; 05-12-2018 at 01:57 PM.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 07:39 PM
Knee Dragger

Thumbs up

Sounds good man. Here's a link to a video of my bike uploaded today which sounds the same, just more close up. If it helps re assure.

Anyway timing could not have been any better, i don't know anyone with a Cbr to compare my bike with and your video / thread confirms everything is okay, cheers for that..

Last edited by Hondarep; 05-12-2018 at 07:41 PM.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

No worries,glad it’s helped ease your worries,it sounds identical to mine. When does yours rattle,cold or when warmed up,just curious now 😉
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 07:46 AM
Knee Dragger

Sure, it makes the sound when cold and hot, The video was taken on a cold start after doing some work on it. Just more noisy when the engine has warmed up and idle that's all

I'll be passing by a local motorcycle garage this week to have a quick word about a few other things, Lets see what they have to say about this noise, No harm in asking. ill keep you posted if it helps. Although wouldn't worry if i was you..
Worth mentioning my bike has over 25k miles, used on a track few times. Fact it sounds identical to yours, really gives me peace of mind..Although in my case could easily be the valve clearance requiring adjustment soon. Honda recommend every 16000 miles

Also remembered, bike went to get a MOT 2 months ago. An MOT (Ministry Of Transport) is required by law in U.K before using a vehicle on the road. We need this certificate before applying for insurance, tax etc basically a certified garage will check over the bike making sure it's road worthy, stating any issues at the same time. Anything serious and we aren't allowed on the road, quite strict and no mention of the sound which further confirms everything mentioned above ;)

Last edited by Hondarep; 05-13-2018 at 10:12 AM.
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Yes please keep me posted mate,mine was mot’s couple of days ago and the (very good) mechanic who used to race bikes says he’s 99% sure it’s the cct and if the rattle is annoying me then fit a manual tensioner. But he said he would leave it as it is as every Honda (all jap sportsbike even)do rattle.
I’m at 23k miles and I asked him regarding valves as mine have not been done,he replied theinterval is 16k,but in his over 20 yrs working on bike he’s checked the clearances on hundreds of bikes and never had to adjust a Honda under 30k miles (it’s ultimately down to the owners choice,but I’ll be leaving mine until I hit over 30k or I get starting problem which he said is the first sign
Hope this helps

Last edited by cips007; 05-13-2018 at 10:22 AM.
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 11:01 AM
Knee Dragger

Will do mate, Thanks for letting me know about that. Made my day :) Glad that's out of the way, Confirms everything is okay with our bikes... I'm also coming across the same information, 30K for valve clearance seems to be accepted by most so i'm not going to bother with it for now either...anyway speak with you soon
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 12:01 AM
Pocketbike Racer

I rode with a fkd up tensioner for 10's of thousands of miles across very bumpy roads, and even small ramps/jumps.

What can happen if the tension on your cam chain slips and the chain skips a tooth or 2 while riding? I don't even want to know! Very bad, maybe even lose control of the bike (god forbid it happens in a turn).
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 03:03 AM
Knee Dragger

Point made :)

Last edited by Hondarep; 05-14-2018 at 03:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in