My 2005 CBR600RR - 600RR.net
General Discussion General Honda CBR600RR Motorcycle Talk - please place mods, tech tips and off topic threads in the correct forums.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Smile My 2005 CBR600RR

Hello folks,

In late November I purchased black CBR600RR with 17K+ miles on it and it was parked until now. I have zero bike experience. So since it's getting warmer I recently got an owner's manual and decided to learn about this bike.

Currently it's a bit far from perfect shape, it's missing rear turn signals and rear light, rear tail light doesn't work 100% and front tail lights are LED and doesn't work good. My plan is to replace front turn signals with OEM ones and simply reconstruct rear turn signals, rear light and tail light. After that I'm going to take it to my local mechanic for inspection and 16K miles maintenance procedure. I'm going to order lights soon and I hope to receive it within a week. I plan to start with rear lights first and then do front turn signals. Also exhaust seems to be a bit loud which may make my neighbors nervous! :D

I made this small video today so you may see the current state of my bike:

I hope it's just the beginning!

Last edited by HDriver; 04-06-2018 at 12:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Today I removed the REAR COWL and found that harness underneath it was a total mess. And something tells me I'll need a new wire harness... At some point harness shell ends and there are 4 cables coming out of it:

First is cut...

Second goes to turn signals and ends there somewhere coz there are no turn signals.

Third splits into two cables (one goes straight to tail light, another goes to some sort of resistor and then goes to tail light).

Forth in black shell also splits into two cables (one goes straight to tail light, another is soldered to the same resistor).

P.S.: Tail Light is not OEM. There is only single word on it "DOT". No part numbers, no Honda logo etc.

Initially I was thinking to buy just rear lights and turn signals plus some mounting stuff, reflectors, screws etc. But at this moment I'm not sure if I also need a wire harness. Because I simply don't know if it's in good condition or not.

I'll upload more pics later tonight. It's a bit frustrating, but I still feel that it's a challenge for me.
post #3 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 06:13 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDriver View Post
Today I removed the REAR COWL and found that harness underneath it was a total mess. And something tells me I'll need a new wire harness... At some point harness shell ends and there are 4 cables coming out of it:

First is cut...

Second goes to turn signals and ends there somewhere coz there are no turn signals.

Third splits into two cables (one goes straight to tail light, another goes to some sort of resistor and then goes to tail light).

Forth in black shell also splits into two cables (one goes straight to tail light, another is soldered to the same resistor).

P.S.: Tail Light is not OEM. There is only single word on it "DOT". No part numbers, no Honda logo etc.

Initially I was thinking to buy just rear lights and turn signals plus some mounting stuff, reflectors, screws etc. But at this moment I'm not sure if I also need a wire harness. Because I simply don't know if it's in good condition or not.

I'll upload more pics later tonight. It's a bit frustrating, but I still feel that it's a challenge for me.
Yes I purchased my 2005 used, and it was obviously a squid bike, hacked and slashed every end of all the harnesses! That was first order of business for me, to repair the harness and get some functioning lights on there.
Squids think no safety lighting is a good thing.
I removed almost a shoebox full of: tape, butt connectors, resistors, ScotchLoks, flush mounts, etc.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Last edited by 498cm3; 04-07-2018 at 06:17 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 498cm3 For This Useful Post:
HDriver (04-07-2018)

post #4 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by 498cm3 View Post
Yes I purchased my 2005 used, and it was obviously a squid bike, hacked and slashed every end of all the harnesses! That was first order of business for me, to repair the harness and get some functioning lights on there.
I removed almost a shoebox full of: tape, butt connectors, resistors, ScotchLoks, flush mounts, etc.

I feel you. I'm just in the beginning of this process.

-----

So here are few pics:

As you can see:

1) Wire which comes out of blue connector is cut. Don't know where that wire was supposed to be connected.
2) Wire which comes out of white connector goes somewhere to where turn signals are "supposed" to be. And I'm not sure but I think it's cut there too.
3) Wire which comes out of orange connector is split and eventually goes into tail light.
4) Wire in a black shell also weirdly splits and eventually goes into tail light.

Question here: Do I need a new wire harness? I guess these 3 connectors can be disconnected and new OEM turn signals and lights can be connected to it. But what's the purpose of that wire in a black shell and can I fix it - I just don't know.

I see they sell harness on eBay for $75, but it seems the end of it is a mess too:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-05-HON...torefresh=true

The are listing for $150-200 but it seems I could better get a new one for $300 and be safe.

And I even haven't inspected the front "flush" LED turn signals which don't work properly. But I expect to see another mess there...

What do you think guys?
post #5 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 10:50 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 498cm3 View Post

I never owned a 2005! Wasn't me
The Following User Says Thank You to Axel Nut For This Useful Post:
498cm3 (04-08-2018)
post #6 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 10:56 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Hello folks,

In late November I purchased black CBR600RR with 17K+ miles on it and it was parked until now. I have zero bike experience. So since it's getting warmer I recently got an owner's manual and decided to learn about this bike.

Currently it's a bit far from perfect shape, it's missing rear turn signals and rear light, rear tail light doesn't work 100% and front tail lights are LED and doesn't work good. My plan is to replace front turn signals with OEM ones and simply reconstruct rear turn signals, rear light and tail light. After that I'm going to take it to my local mechanic for inspection and 16K miles maintenance procedure. I'm going to order lights soon and I hope to receive it within a week. I plan to start with rear lights first and then do front turn signals. Also exhaust seems to be a bit loud which may make my neighbors nervous! :D

I made this small video today so you may see the current state of my bike:

I hope it's just the beginning!
Gotta say watching you duck walk your bike for an eternity was painful. Learn to walk the bike while you stand to the side of it. Will help a lot when you get stranded somewhere and have to walk it uphill.

Other than that, the bike looks pretty good to me. Sounds great, although I bet the AFR is outta wack. After you get some miles on it, you'll appreciate the sound even more. As far as the lights, sounds like some bad connections. Pretty easy to check. Pick up a service manual, or wiring diagram, and a multi-meter. That will help you a lot.

Your kickstand is too short. Buy a new oem one, you absolutely have to if you ever wish to ride around without that 2x4 stuffed in a backpack.
HDriver (04-08-2018)
post #7 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Hopefully I will remove the lower cowl today and inspect the harness around turn signals. If it's bad and messed up I'll order a new harness.

Honestly I thought there only one kickstand. Now I see there maybe a short one available too. I'll order it soon.

Quick question. When I write wire harness I mean this item:

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/ho...a/wire-harness

Item # 32100-MEE-A00.

Is it the one I need, right? I don't see any other harness there besides Sub Harness (https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/ho...-a/sub-harness) but I don't know the purpose of sub harness. Just want to make sure I'm ordering a correct product.

Also I tried to search for 32100-MEE-A00 and it seems partszilla is the cheapest place for a new harness. Not sure if I should buy one on eBay...
post #8 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 12:50 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
Likely you shouldn't be buying a new harness at all. I believe it's best for you to learn how to wire such things. Youtube is a great teacher.

Quote:
Pretty easy to check. Pick up a service manual, or wiring diagram, and a multi-meter.
This is where you want to start though.
The Following User Says Thank You to tylerboyd For This Useful Post:
498cm3 (04-08-2018)
post #9 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 01:14 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerboyd View Post
Likely you shouldn't be buying a new harness at all. I believe it's best for you to learn how to wire such things. Youtube is a great teacher.

This is where you want to start though.
That is a good idea. I rebuilt mine, did it right with good wire, solder, and heat shrink. Put the money towards a new integrated taillight, new OEM style front turn signals, a new automatic flasher relay, and some LEDs for the passenger pegs.

post #10 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Guys, please suggest a website to buy an official Service Manual for 2005 CBR600RR in PDF format. Actually I have a scanned copy and it's not possible to search in that document. I'd like to buy a Honda Service Manual. A while ago I got one for my Odyssey. It's official Honda Service Manual in PDF. You can perform a search there.

What do you think about this website?

https://www.repairmanuals.co/product...BoCAlgQAvD_BwE

They claim that you can get PDF though I don't know if it's official Honda document or some third party manual.
post #11 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

I just looked through my scanned manual and I didn't see any repair instructions there. I guess I need a repair manual rather than just a service manual.

I will appreciate any tips regarding where I could buy it in PDF format.

P.S.: I just found my Odyssey repair manual - it's a 7600 (!!!) page document. It's huge...
post #12 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 09:16 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
The Following User Says Thank You to tylerboyd For This Useful Post:
HDriver (04-08-2018)
post #13 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Thanks, but I already have one. Unfortunately, you can't perform any search there... I'm willing to buy one if it's a valid service/repair manual in PDF. I'm just curious if there is any available for sale? I see a paper one (not 100% if it's OEM) but it's a paperback.

Well, I just emailed those guys above.

P.S.: somebody even sells this scanned PDF document here lol:

https://www.tradebit.com/filedetail....anual?a=516802

I'm speachless...
post #14 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 09:42 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Paper is preferable to digital for mechanical work.

The Following User Says Thank You to 498cm3 For This Useful Post:
HDriver (04-08-2018)
post #15 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

I asked RepairManuals.co regarding their manual:

Quote:
is it OEM Honda service manual or it was created by some third party?
And here is their answer:

Quote:
Yes it is OEM. I am unable to sent the table of contents as we buy direct from our supplier and send onto you the link, so I do not have access. But I assure you, there will be no issues.
I also asked if it's a set of scanned pages or a real PDF document where you can perform search. I'll wait for their reply and post it here. I hope they are not reselling same "manual" which everyone has already...
post #16 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

I just pulled a trigger and purchased that manual on repairmanuals.co website.

Don't do this! Don't use that service.

They literally sell you a SCANNED copy of a 61MEE03 book which is 2003-2006 Honda CBR600RR Motorcycle Service Manual. The one with a black cover with gears and red word Honda and red Honda logo on it. What a scam...

So at this moment I'm afraid there is no manual in electronic format.

Anyway I'm going to proceed with removing fairings (cowls) and inspecting front turn signals.

I'd like to fix my wire harness, but I guess my soldering skills are pretty poor to guarantee everything will be as good as OEM. On the other hand it seems that replacing a wire harness is a nightmare for a guy like me since it's like a circulatory system with many connections etc. Replacing it will definitely be a pain. Or a challenge. Or both...
post #17 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Just received a full refund from repairmanuals.co. At least they didn't hide after received payment.

Spring is finally coming to Delaware and I hope to proceed with removing fairings soon.
post #18 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 11:03 AM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Thanked 1,050 Times in 855 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
just fix the harness. wiring is easy. don't be intimidated, it's just matching colours.
post #19 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 01:16 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Google hynes 2005 cbr600rr service manual or Clymer 2005 cbr600rr service manual. Try contacting Honda directly, or contact your local Honda dealer.

Or ... just ride the bike to a mechanic. You'll be fine, use your hand signals. You're not going to get arrested, lol, and you'll probably just get a warning or worse case is a fix it ticket which would be dismissed once you fix your signals and show the police.

Or rent a UHaul, and truck the bike to a mechanic, or call a tow company. You're going to be spending money no matter what if you want those signals fixed.

Last edited by Axel Nut; 04-11-2018 at 01:25 PM.
post #20 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 02:17 PM
Pocketbike Racer

All those things you said you wanted to have a mechanic do, you can do yourself.

Engine oil/filter = very easy
Flush/bleed brakes = moderately easy
Spark plugs = slight PITA but also not difficult really

Oh and you might as well throw some fresh coolant in there as well!

Nice bike though, looks clean actually. I have an 03 in yellow, you will love your 05.

2003 Honda CBR600RR
- Renthal Sprockets (15/45) - DID 520ERV3
- Micron Slip on - Pair/EVAP delete
- SS front brake lines - Gilles Rearsets
post #21 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Thank you guys for your support!

I will start with fixing a kick stand and front turn signals first and then more to the rear part.

Yup, I saw those two books. I guess I'll get both eventually.

Small update:

1) I removed few fairing on the right side.
2) I found bike is missing tons of clips. Previous owner(s) didn't bother to replace missing clips or small bolts. SMH...
3) I wasn't able to remove the very front fairing which goes around headlights. It seems to be stuck somewhere. I couldn't even remove the right side. I just don't want to pull it like crazy because I'm afraid to crack it somewhere...
4) Anyway I was able to squeeze my hand between fairing and right air duct (?) and unscrewed the right turn signal.
5) I found there is almost no oil since the I don't see any oil inside the right oil level indicator. It means I need to replace oil ASAP. No more driving around parking.
6) I just placed an order on Partzilla. I decided to order side stand (BAR, SIDE STAND, 50530-MEE-D01) because my current side stand is too short. Also I ordered a pair of front turn signals (TURN SIGNAL ASSY., L. FR. (12V 23/8W), 33450-MEE-670 and TURN SIGNAL ASSY., R. FR. (12V 23/8W), 33400-MEE-670). Plus few nuts etc for turn signals. Honestly I don't know what else I need to buy besides stand 50530-MEE-D01 since there are lots of items on that stand picture. I hope that swapping old short with OEM long one will be enough.
7) Just checked for local Honda dealers and it seems there are no Honda dealers here around 19701. There is Power Sports East though, but I'm not sure if they carry Honda parts or OEM service manual etc:
Find A Honda Dealer Near 19701 - Honda Powersports

In the meantime I need to find out how to replace engine oil & filter (I watched few YT videos but didn't pay attention to details) and also find which oil and filter to buy.

Last edited by HDriver; 04-11-2018 at 05:15 PM.
post #22 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 09:05 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Don't forget to clean and lube your chain. May as well do this now, and get familiar with it, because you'll be doing that a lot, LOL! Technically every 400 miles. Start saving cardboard boxes to flatten out and place under your bike (for chain cleaning, and changing oil). Also purchase some shop rags, and shop paper towels (don't use regular paper towels, go to an auto parts store and buy the blue rolls (they don't lint or dust)

Also purchase a rear stand, like Pitbull rear stand. Think about a front stand down the road when you need to replace tires.

Last edited by Axel Nut; 04-11-2018 at 09:08 PM.
HDriver (04-12-2018)
post #23 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

I'll try to pass by my local Walmart this weekend. Hopefully they have some wet clutch 10w-40 oil (Amsoil, Repsol, etc) and K&N filter for my bike.

Boxes are available. Though I've never cleaned and lubed chain before. Need to watch YT videos and self-educate myself first.

P.S.: Partzilla says parts will be shipped around Monday.
post #24 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 06:28 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
I'll try to pass by my local Walmart this weekend. Hopefully they have some wet clutch 10w-40 oil (Amsoil, Repsol, etc) and K&N filter for my bike.

Boxes are available. Though I've never cleaned and lubed chain before. Need to watch YT videos and self-educate myself first.

P.S.: Partzilla says parts will be shipped around Monday.
They probably won't have said oil. They will have Rotella T4 15-40 though, which is a great oil at a reasonable price. I have been using it for years on my cbr's

2003 Honda CBR600RR
The Following User Says Thank You to Honda-Power For This Useful Post:
HDriver (04-12-2018)
post #25 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Thanks for the advice!

I also have Powersports East and Cycle Gear which are both pretty close to me. But anyway I'll be doing some grocery shopping in Walmart this Saturday.
post #26 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Went to local bike dealer. Purchased 4qt of Honda oil 10w-40, honda filter and... washer. Yes, I have about 50 car new washers from Amazon, but I wasn't sure that it will fit my bike. So now I need to learn how to change oil. Hopefully Youtube will teach me this skill.

Unfortunately they charge $50 + parts per brake pad set, $40 for lubing and adjusting chain and $150 + fluid for replacing brake fluid. That's a lot. And it will probably push me to learn how to do all that stuff by myself.

Though I don't have a bike stand yet. Don't know if I need only rear or both.

P.S.: I also purchased a helmet and a jacket. Now I think my clothing is complete. Though I decided to skip protective pants. For now.
post #27 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

I just watched this video and I guess changing oil should be a cake-walk since I changed oil on my Honda cars multiple times before:

I like this video but I think I need a motorcycle stand. I'm not sure if I need it to change oil but will definitely need one to change a kick stand. I want something reliable and cheap. Not a luxury brand.

Should I guy something like this at a local Harbor Freight:

https://www.harborfreight.com/motorc...and-65620.html

Or it's better to visit Cycle Gear or another motorcycle store. I just don't want to spend over $50 for a stand...
post #28 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 01:49 AM
Pocketbike Racer

I've owned the stand you linked. It ******* sucks. It works kind of but please don't waste your time with it. Buy quality and buy once.

Also, you do not want a "paddle" stand. You want a "spool" type stand. Our bikes have a boss on the swingarm to thread a "spool" into. With said spool in place lifting the bike is easy and secure.

With my pitbull stand I can sit on the bike and hang off either direction as much as physicallly possible and the bike will not move an inch. Try that with a harbor freight stand.

Not saying you need to buy the most expensive, but don't buy the cheapest of the cheap either. You WILL regret it.

And no you don't need a center stand to do an oil change. In fact it drains better on the side stand.

2003 Honda CBR600RR
The Following User Says Thank You to Honda-Power For This Useful Post:
HDriver (04-15-2018)
post #29 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda-Power View Post
I've owned the stand you linked. It ******* sucks. It works kind of but please don't waste your time with it. Buy quality and buy once.

Also, you do not want a "paddle" stand. You want a "spool" type stand. Our bikes have a boss on the swingarm to thread a "spool" into. With said spool in place lifting the bike is easy and secure.

With my pitbull stand I can sit on the bike and hang off either direction as much as physicallly possible and the bike will not move an inch. Try that with a harbor freight stand.

Not saying you need to buy the most expensive, but don't buy the cheapest of the cheap either. You WILL regret it.

And no you don't need a center stand to do an oil change. In fact it drains better on the side stand.
Thanks for advice!

I already noticed my bike came with spools installed by previous owner.

I'm currently looking at Venom stand set:

https://www.kapscomoto.com/us/garage...ck-stands.html

I already find a thread here about it. Will read it shortly:

https://www.600rr.net/vb/75-600rr-net...ar-stands.html

Also I'd like to pass by Cycle Gear to see what they have. There are multiple stands on their website, but it's not clear what they actually carry in this particular local store. For example this stand has good reviews though I don't know how they manage their reviews:

https://www.cyclegear.com/accessorie...-paddock-stand
post #30 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Actually I found lots of "stand" threads here on 600rr.net.

I guess I'll need only rear stand for now. I'm not looking at used stands though I checked craigslist and there are no stands around me. There are some in PA, NJ but it's a bit far for me...

Currently trying to choose one from this brands: Venom ($), GP Industries ($) and Pitbull ($$). I see you can buy either Venom set for $102 or GPI set for around 135 (incl shipping) or Pitbull ONLY rear for $175 (incl shipping).

More choices = more hesitation...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page