Proper Way to Use a QuickShifter? - 600RR.net
General Discussion General Honda CBR600RR Motorcycle Talk - please place mods, tech tips and off topic threads in the correct forums.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Proper Way to Use a QuickShifter?

I recently installed HM Quickshifter SS but there's little to no instructions on how to use it. Granted that it's only been 2 days but I find it harder to shift up without clutching in and this applies to all gears. With the clutch engaged, up shift or down shift is buttery smooth. I did come to light that it works better when I do a hard shift up and continue to apply pressure until it clicks up while accelerating. Is that how it supposed to work? I don't know if it matters but my bike is barely broken in at 1,4xx miles. There was no indication of which direction is up or down on the module that goes inline with the shift rod so I just wing it. I also noticed that at first gear and I press down on it, the engine seems to cut-off for a split second. My shift pattern is standard (up to shift up and down to shift down). Is that normal?

It's currently defaulted to 60 ms cut-off time and I'm guessing that I would have to use it more often to know where the sweet spot is.

Last edited by dreamzboy; 05-02-2018 at 08:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 10:47 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamzboy View Post
I did come to light that it works better when I do a hard shift up and continue to apply pressure until it clicks up while accelerating. Is that how it supposed to work? I don't know if it matters but my bike is barely broken in at 1,4xx miles. T
In general, a quick shifter should be used during hard acceleration at higher rpm's (this isn't a replacement for an automatic transmission). You should not have to pre-load the shifter "until it shifts" - in fact, do not do this (just like how you should not when no-clutch shifting by chopping/engaging the throttle). Apply more pressure when trying to engage it. If you are already applying a good amount of quick force, I would think something is not right. Confirm by really banging on it - maybe.

Notice I said "In general".

Last edited by Axel Nut; 05-02-2018 at 10:53 PM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 12:01 AM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Thanked 1,050 Times in 855 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamzboy View Post
I recently installed HM Quickshifter SS but there's little to no instructions on how to use it. Granted that it's only been 2 days but I find it harder to shift up without clutching in and this applies to all gears. With the clutch engaged, up shift or down shift is buttery smooth. I did come to light that it works better when I do a hard shift up and continue to apply pressure until it clicks up while accelerating. Is that how it supposed to work? I don't know if it matters but my bike is barely broken in at 1,4xx miles. There was no indication of which direction is up or down on the module that goes inline with the shift rod so I just wing it. I also noticed that at first gear and I press down on it, the engine seems to cut-off for a split second. My shift pattern is standard (up to shift up and down to shift down). Is that normal?

It's currently defaulted to 60 ms cut-off time and I'm guessing that I would have to use it more often to know where the sweet spot is.

your quickshifter is the wrong type of sensor for your application. it should cut off the engine for a split second when you lift up on the shifter, not when you kick down.

immediately cease "trying to use" your quickshifter before you bend your shift forks and have to rebuild your gearbox.

don't "wing it" if you don't know what you are doing or how something is supposed to work.

email HM for instructions, and make sure you actually buy the appropriate equipment for your application, as it's clear you have done neither of these.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

After my post, I found the instructions from HM on Google.

http://hmquickshifter.com/wp-content...User-Guide.pdf

I think I got it figured out. HM shifter came with 3 modes. Extension, Compression, and both. My bike uses Compression so it only engages on upshift. The default settings was on both; hence it cuts out both upshifts and downshifts.

Also from the same manual, HM stated, "Once the installation is complete and the HM Plus SS's operation is confirmed, you are ready to enjoy
limitless quickshifting. Once the clutch is fully released in 1st gear, use of the clutch is optional thereafter
while up-shifting." Should be safe even using lower RPM around 4K.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 09:17 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
That mod just doesnt sound cool or good at all. Sounds like you could really mess your bike up, why not just learn how to use the clutch? I bet you I can out shift that mod.

Cbr600RR
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by repsolman1987 View Post
That mod just doesnt sound cool or good at all. Sounds like you could really mess your bike up, why not just learn how to use the clutch? I bet you I can out shift that mod.
I don't think so. Most modern bike now equipped with QS and I have yet to hear from a single person saying a QS is uncool unless the don't know or understand what that is. You are more likely to mess your bike up with the clutch than a QS.

Give this a read if you don't know what it is. No offense but I'm not looking for opinion whether it's cool or not. Just looking for feedback from someone who has it installed and give me some guidance on how to set up to get it to work.

https://lifeatlean.com/best-motorcycle-quickshifters/

While you at it, learn from this wise man about QS.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

After following the manual, it stated in test #1 to increase the sensitivity until the screen flashes "SHIFT" when up shift with a little bit of force. I had mine set to 90% at the moment; however, when up shift on my test ride, it couldn't go into the next gear on acceleration. The shift rod didn't budge. The manual further contradicts that the lower the sensitivity the smoother and faster the shift will be. Huh? I also tried lowering the sensitivity and shift with my hand. It took much more effort to get the "SHIFT" flashes on the LCD screen.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 02:37 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Thanked 1,050 Times in 855 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Are you familiar with what sensitivity means? Less sensitivity means more force to recognize the input.

If you have more force applied to the shifter prior to the system cutting the ignition, the shift will happen faster. But you will also be increasing strain on your shift forks which is no good
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 09:27 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
Ehh I still dont like it much.

Cbr600RR
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 01:53 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbly View Post
1) immediately cease "trying to use" your quickshifter before you bend your shift forks and have to rebuild your gearbox.

2) don't "wing it" if you don't know what you are doing or how something is supposed to work.

3) email HM for instructions, and make sure you actually buy the appropriate equipment for your application, as it's clear you have done neither of these.
Maybe proper formatting and bold highlights will help

06 CBR 600 RR
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Yeah, I'm not sure what else to try. It works on rear stand and I can see the LCD flashes shift when I upshift. On the street it's a dead end. Here's my current setup. It's normally at the top near the gearbox but I couldn't thread it the other way around.

Settings right now is 95% sensitivity and 65ms kill time.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 01:00 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Hi dreamzboy
How's your bike doin? Have resolve the issue with your qs?
I'd like to share my exp on this issue. I've 2009 cbr. 3 years ago i had it equipped with hm qs.settings are:
Sensitivity: 70
Cutoff: 60ms
Mode: Compression only
Shift style: GP(up-down)
It works perfectly for the first 2 years and i gets really horny everytime shiftin.
3rd year, comes same prob as you do. I can't do shiftin using qs, sometimes intermittent even engine seems like cuttin off ignition when qs engage. I almost give up tshootin it until 1 day i play around with clutch lever adjuster as i feel a bit sluggish when shiftin even disengaging clutch. I adjust clutch freeplay as min as possible. Then i tried to use qs while riding 1 day and suprisingly trouble i had before, totally gone! Never thought its the clutch actually is the culprit. I suggest you try this
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 07:47 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Did you buy this new? I had exactly the same issue. Registers a shift on the display when stationary but nothing worked while riding.

Turned out it was faulty. Have a new one and it's mint.

BTW no force is needed so don't force it. It's abit like clutch less shift it just drops in as before you get the lever to engage agear it's already cut the ignition so just slides in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page