Downshifting to first - 600RR.net
General Discussion General Honda CBR600RR Motorcycle Talk - please place mods, tech tips and off topic threads in the correct forums.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Downshifting to first

Hi guys.
I was out on my 2014 600RR today and whilst approaching a road end (and carrying a fair bit of speed) I downshifted from 4th to 1st with the clutch in.

When selecting 1st (still with the clutch lever engaged) it make what sounded like a very loud clunk.

Would I have done any damage?

I usually downshift one gear at a time with a little engine braking. Don’t know what I was thinking!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 06:57 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Thanked 1,039 Times in 845 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Don't make a habit of it, but it probably didn't hurt anything

Every time you change gears the shaft speeds in the transmissions change. So when you go from 4th to first, even with the clutch pulled, the input shaft has to accelerate, that's what the clunking is
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 04:39 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Yeah, that clunk noise, or rather grinding noise is a little disheartening. One thing I notice that people do is when they jump into a false neutral when trying to go from 2nd to 1st while rolling, they'll just try the shift to first again and bang on the lever till it grinds in. What you should do is rev match it, or better yet, just shift back up to 2nd, and try again.

I couldn't believe it when I saw this happen to Max Wrist a few times, and every time he banged it into 1st instead of just rev matching, or going back up to 2nd. Sub Delinquent is known to do this as well. Two very good riders, that hate their clutch.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 06:10 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Thanked 1,039 Times in 845 Posts
Garage
is it a false neutral if it's in neutral?

it's not usually grinding, the dog will find the gear, it's just a sudden change in speed that makes the noise. it's essentially the same thing as the clunk when you select first from neutral at a stop.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 08:13 PM
Pocketbike Racer

yeah yeah. I used to try to rev match it, and I was never calm about it, whenever it happened to me it usually scared the **** out of me because I'm in the process of turning left through an intersection with oncoming traffic in front of me and cars behind me not expecting me to slow down.

More often than not, I would get a series of clunks in rapid succession (which I called grinding for lack of a better word) as I try to get it into first. Then one day it dawned on me... Why the hell am I trying to force it into first, when I could just kick it back into second, and either continue on my way in second, or try to get back into first again (from second). Anyway my little tip for the day.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 10:46 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I keep it in second, and slip clutch a bit.....

I don't try and ride aggressively in 1st to (mid rpm's) in 2nd.

I f I have to, I'll rev match when I downshift to 1st.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 01:53 AM
Pocketbike Racer

I always try to rev match when quickly downshifting, and for like 70,000 miles on this bike's clutch, I would do it into 1st gear all the time. Without issue.

I would not skip gears, but I would blip/downshift all the way to first. When I hit first, the RPMs though, lol!

Post 70,000 miles, well... I wish I never did it, or at the least, did it a lot less often! Not to mention me slipping the clutch in 2nd gear a lot for that "grunt". Now my clutch slips in 2nd gear whether I want it to or not, lol!!!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 08:29 AM
Knee Dragger

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 08:30 AM
Knee Dragger

this guy is great at explaining things
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page