121,000 mile CBR1000RR - 600RR.net
General Discussion General Honda CBR600RR Motorcycle Talk - please place mods, tech tips and off topic threads in the correct forums.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
121,000 mile CBR1000RR

Hi,

If this is just the totally wrong place for this, my apologies please remove it or I'll delete it.

I wanted to get the forum's thoughts on this 2010 CBR1000RR that turned up for sale near me, seems like an interesting find, if nothing else.
121,000 miles on the odometer, but it looks brand new. Saw it listed on the dealer's used inventory online and went and checked it out, grabbed the following pictures:
https://imgur.com/a/AitSBIL

The story i got from the general manager was that the bike was a single owner bike, owned by an older guy who just rode every day everywhere and was extremely meticulous with the upkeep and maintenance. They also said that valve clearance service was just done, as well as installing the new tires. The only other modificaions appear to be a tastefully-done fender eliminator.

Listed price is $5,400.

I looked at it up and down and the only items that look worn at all, are the disc brakes and the grips. There has to be more to this story, right? Something has got to be up. I asked if it was totalled/rebuilt/salvaged and was told no, that it had a clean title. It started right up from a cold start and idled/revved perfectly normally.

If there isn't some scheme or deceit that I'm not aware of, I was thinking about trading my 2008 600RR for it.

thanks for any insight,
Joey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 12:17 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
wow tht's a clean bike.

no gravel chips or road trash damage etc....?

121K miles, where was the bike used?
The Following User Says Thank You to tary preisser For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (06-04-2018)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 12:50 AM
Pocketbike Racer

pfft, 120,000+ miles for 5,400 is an insanely high price. Did you ask what all has been done to it, and why the price is so high given the miles? Obviously a lot of parts have been replaced, how about the engine?

Might be a good bike to part out or acquire for spar parts, but not really at that price.

This bike is at a dealer as well yeah? **** that! lol, they got it way marked up because it is clean. Bike's worth maybe $1000.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 12:58 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Yea that's a lot of miles, and I think their asking price is a little steep considering that.

I wouldn't worry about something being sneaky. If the dealer were being sneaky, they would have swapped to a lower milage cluster or something.

These bikes (all Japanese sport bikes) will run forever with good maintenance and care.

2003 Honda CBR600RR
- Renthal Sprockets (15/45) - DID 520ERV3
- Micron Slip on - Pair/EVAP delete
- SS front brake lines - Gilles Rearsets
The Following User Says Thank You to Honda-Power For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (06-04-2018)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 01:15 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda-Power View Post
Yea that's a lot of miles, and I think their asking price is a little steep considering that.

I wouldn't worry about something being sneaky. If the dealer were being sneaky, they would have swapped to a lower milage cluster or something.

These bikes (all Japanese sport bikes) will run forever with good maintenance and care.
Just because someone claims the bike was well taken care of doesn't mean jack for a markup like that with those miles. Compare that price/mileage to other bikes on the market.

The only way to tell if the bike is worth a fraction of what they are asking, is to take it for test ride.

If the bike was completely rebuilt, engine, transmission, clutch, wire harness, bearings, forks, rear shock, everything... I'd accept maybe 3000. I'd want proof of the rebuild.

However, it sounds like NOTHING was rebuilt, and the owner rode the bike around like a bicycle, so everything is original. F-THAT, 1000 and I'll buy it.

Also, the price leads me to think the bike is on consignment. I can't think of any dealer that would put a 121,000+ mile STOCK bike on their showroom for over 5,000 dollars.

Ask for test ride, and romp on it a little. If it's good, come back and offer 1,750.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Axel Nut For This Useful Post:
Disturbed1115 (05-18-2018), dixon cider (06-04-2018)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by tary preisser View Post
wow tht's a clean bike.

no gravel chips or road trash damage etc....?

121K miles, where was the bike used?
Memphis area, was told the previous owner was local and rode locally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel Nut View Post
Just because someone claims the bike was well taken care of doesn't mean jack for a markup like that with those miles. Compare that price/mileage to other bikes on the market.

The only way to tell if the bike is worth a fraction of what they are asking, is to take it for test ride.

If the bike was completely rebuilt, engine, transmission, clutch, wire harness, bearings, forks, rear shock, everything... I'd accept maybe 3000. I'd want proof of the rebuild.

However, it sounds like NOTHING was rebuilt, and the owner rode the bike around like a bicycle, so everything is original. F-THAT, 1000 and I'll buy it.

Also, the price leads me to think the bike is on consignment. I can't think of any dealer that would put a 121,000+ mile STOCK bike on their showroom for over 5,000 dollars.

Ask for test ride, and romp on it a little. If it's good, come back and offer 1,750.
Oh man if that's where we're at, you'll laugh at his initial deal for me:

$3,000 for https://imgur.com/gallery/2wcsbUI my bike, plus $2000 cash for the 1000rr.

It just looks like everything cosmetic has been replaced with brand new parts. Looking at the plastic turn signal lenses on the mirrors, they look like they're fresh off the line. no way they've made it through 8 years of riding and the plastic isn't faded even a little? the whole bike looks that way. I looked at it all over, there isn't any dust or road grime even on the undersides/insides of the fairings. No way. I periodically check the local dealers and CL for what's up for sale just to try and keep up with what the resale market is doing. This bike is just kind of a weird find.

I think I'll follow up, ask to see the title, ask about a test ride and go from there. I imagine I'll see it sit for awhile. I'll wait and offer them a more reasonable amount of money, and keep my beloved 600rr..
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 02:18 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Its only about double the price it should be. Everything is replaceable, which I'm sure after that many miles has happened hence the great looks. If you pay anything close to asking price for it I feel really bad for you. Like super duper bad. Its so highly priced its not worth even talking to them about it, they aren't taking half.

On the flip side the fact someone is actually even considering this bad deal makes me think much more highly of the value of my 85,000 mile F4i.

'06 F4i- Yoshimura RS-3C, Racetech springs and valves, Ohlin's rear shock, steel brake lines, 520 conversion. 87k miles and counting.....
'08 600RR- Stripped trackbike. CRG shorty brake lever, goodridge front brake lines
'15 1000RR- weekend toy
------Disclaimer: I can't spell------
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Excellent, thanks for the input. I don't really live in a hotbed of motorcycle activity, it's pretty rare to see a nice clean used sportbike pop up regardless of mileage or price. Like I said this just sort of caught my eye, figured I would ask around and see what those with more experience than me thought of it.

Just for general knowledge, price aside, is there a reason to avoid a bike with high mileage like that on it? Are there components that are just unavoidably going to go out that will be a major headache or cost to replace? piston rings, transmission, etc? Or is all of that stuff pretty solid indefinitely, as long as proper maintenance is followed?

thanks
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 04:34 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

I had to replace my intake valves at 83,000 miles on my F4i. The sealing area was so thin i could have used them as pizza cutters.
If the bike is used as its designed [track use, high rpm and throttle all the time] you'll be lucky to get 10,000 miles before the engine blows something.
Otherwise its normal stuff like any other vehicle. Old gas, coolant not changed etc.

'06 F4i- Yoshimura RS-3C, Racetech springs and valves, Ohlin's rear shock, steel brake lines, 520 conversion. 87k miles and counting.....
'08 600RR- Stripped trackbike. CRG shorty brake lever, goodridge front brake lines
'15 1000RR- weekend toy
------Disclaimer: I can't spell------
The Following User Says Thank You to bored&stroked For This Useful Post:
Disturbed1115 (05-18-2018)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 07:02 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Is the '08+ CBR1000RR clusters even capable of displaying 6 digits for the odo?
As far as I'm aware the maximum display on most sportsbikes is 99,999.

Although some may have a roll-over digit to show that it has gone past 99,999.

Honda engines are excellent, there was a guy here who did something like 400,000 miles on his 600F4i.
However that doesn't mean the bike is actually worth that amount. It's not just engine wear, what about the frame? That will wear out over time along with any kind of joint.

Some people rebuild engines and then say "0 miles", that is incorrect. Legally, mileage is logged against the VIN - which is the frame, not engine.

2007 Honda CBR125R
2004 Suzuki GS500F
2006 Honda CBR600RR
2000 Honda CBR929RR
2003 Kawasaki ZX-6R
The Following User Says Thank You to RothmansRR For This Useful Post:
Axel Nut (05-29-2018)
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 08:37 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Wow that is absolutely incredible, I thought all 600CC+ bikes died after 60000 miles?
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 05:31 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Sounds like a mistake. Have you checked the odo in person?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page