Best anti-theft GPS trackers // upgrades to prevent theft???? - 600RR.net
General Discussion General Honda CBR600RR Motorcycle Talk - please place mods, tech tips and off topic threads in the correct forums.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 03:15 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Best anti-theft GPS trackers // upgrades to prevent theft????

So I just bought an 09 CBR600 for my very 1st bike. This bike comes with A TON of mods and is absolutely gorgeous! Being that this is my first bike, I’d like to be as safe as I possibly can.
I live in an apartment building and we have a security guard at the gate, and the parking structure is enclosed (you need a RFID card to open gate) and there are a few bikes here, and haven’t seen / heard of any problems but I would like to be as safe as possible !!! Also, would like to be confident if and when I park it at work, or out to dinner, etc.
I did some research on GPS trackers, and anti-theft measures but would like to hear from anyone who has experience using them, or is knowledgeable about them.
Also, ANY AND ALL other measures one should take to deter thieves and prevent theft.

Thanks in advance ! 😄
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 04:01 PM
Training Wheel Hero

The first thing I’d recommend which is simple, quick and fairly cheap is an alarmed disc lock like a Xena. It’s the one thing that I always keep with me on my bike and is super handy when going in and out of stores.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stefan Drescher For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (09-06-2018)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 04:06 PM
Training Wheel Hero

They also can be squeezed under neath the passenger seat (off to the side) when not being used. Which means there’s no bulk when riding.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0B00902C-0F47-4133-851B-DBA4269BD36E_1526501183926.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	199419  

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 04:36 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Most stolen bikes are picked up by a couple dudes and throw in the back of a mini van or pickup truck, locks won't help.
Don't leave it outside. That's your only defense.

'06 F4i- Yoshimura RS-3C, Racetech springs and valves, Ohlin's rear shock, steel brake lines, 520 conversion. 87k miles and counting.....
'08 600RR- Stripped trackbike. CRG shorty brake lever, goodridge front brake lines
'15 1000RR- weekend toy
------Disclaimer: I can't spell------
The Following User Says Thank You to bored&stroked For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (09-06-2018)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 11:48 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
agree with b&s .....keep it inside.

only way to keep it.

have walked around a corner and seen 3 guys ready to roll a bike into van.....

(930 pm on a side street)
The Following User Says Thank You to tary preisser For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (09-06-2018)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 02:32 AM
Pocketbike Racer

If you are serious, best bet is to install as many security devices as you are willing to. Ground anchor locks, wheel locks, remote proximity with bike angle, and bike impact alarms and GPS tracking. Let's not forget the bike cover as well.

A good thief can bypass any lock, ground anchor or not in seconds (might be noisy but they can do it). Only chance you have is a remote alarm/gps tracker. Downside to these is that they are parasitic to your battery. They aren't recommended for Lithium batteries, but even if you have lithium you should be fine provided you ride your bike every few days or so, and if not make sure you have a tender hooked up.

But like B/S said, if they want your bike, they will take your bike. Ultimately the best insurance to recover any losses is to have full coverage insurance ;p
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 01:04 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
There are no fool proof way to prevent a stolen bikes. Inside, outside, locks, GPS tracker, and the likes are just small deterrent. I don't have the luxury of parking my bike in a garage because I too live in an Apartment. I used Xena Audible locks and it's deafeningly loud enough. What I like about it is it's not the same tone as any car alarms. It has a distinctive tone and you'll know right away if it's your bike is being harassed. Pair that lock with a full coverage insurance and you'll have a peaceful sleep.

If GPS tracker is what you're after then LoJack is what most people use.

A word of advice, don't attempt to ride with any disc lock in your pocket because once you fall with it, it will be quite painful.
The Following User Says Thank You to dreamzboy For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (09-06-2018)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 09:48 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I just pulled my Ride GPS tracker / alarm system today from my 09. I think they merged with Rever now but it's the same thing. GPS tracking, e-mail and text alerts, ride tracking, and some other stuff you can add on like TPMS or an alarm horn. All I got was the basic tracker, but I'd recommend it to anyone.

After my '05 got ripped out of my apartment garage, it was the first thing I bought for this bike. The peace of mind is priceless, and at $12/month it's not that bad. The ride tracker was a cool gimmick, but I had it set up to send me e-mails and texts for shock, ignition, or if it left the geofence I set up around my garage. The alerts come pretty quick MOST of the time, but every once in awhile I'd get it minutes to hours late, or never.

Just know there's not many hiding places for GPS antennas since they can't penetrate for ****. So if someone smart takes your bike, they'll look for it ASAP. But if everything works like it's supposed to, you'll be immediately notified (most of the time) and you can get the strap and run outside. Even if they're already gone, you may still have a few minutes before (/if) you lose tracking. There's actually a built in option in the app to report it stolen, and supposedly it helps the cops find your bike, but I don't know how it works or how integrated it is with their systems.

Even with it's faults and price I'd still recommend 10/10
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 05:52 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
The subject of wanting your bike back or not after it's stolen is another story. I sure wouldn't want to find it or getting it back in pieces.
The Following User Says Thank You to dreamzboy For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (09-06-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page