10’ cbr600rr not priming - 600RR.net
General Discussion General Honda CBR600RR Motorcycle Talk - please place mods, tech tips and off topic threads in the correct forums.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
10’ cbr600rr not priming

So I went to put stabilizer in my motorcycle, and decided to start it before I did. It wouldn’t turn over, but I had been having issues with the battery. Tried to push start it but had no luck. This is where I think I messed up. Being the idiot I am, I tried to jump start the bike with a car. Some people say it’s not terrible and some people say never do it, but I was kind of desperate. Either way, it wouldn’t start even when jump starting it. All the lights work but it won’t turn over. I bought a new battery which didn’t fix it, but I noticed that fuel was not priming into the engine. Usually you can hear it when turning on the bike, but there was no sound. I assume fuel isn’t getting to the engine.

From looking it up some people say this is an ECU issue, or maybe a fuse or kill switch issue. I took it in and they think it is the bank angle sensor but they also said if it’s not then it could be the ECU. The part will be on backorder for a couple weeks.

Do you guys think it’s the ECU and I fucked up big time? Or possibly other options as to what it might be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 01:28 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Thanked 1,044 Times in 850 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
did you check fuses? kill switch? is it in neutral? you haven't really given any info here. when you say it wouldn't turn over would it crank but not fire? did the bike work totally normally then suddenly not work for no reason? or did you mess with something.

you cannot get good advice if you don't provide any useful information in your post.

when you toggle the kill switch, does the FI lamp come on for a couple seconds then go out?
The Following User Says Thank You to wibbly For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (11-07-2018)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 01:31 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Garage
also please only make one post about your issue. posting multiple threads just annoys everyone. you won't get more traction by spamming.
dixon cider (11-07-2018)

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Fuses are good, kill switch seemed fine, its in neutral, and all lights seem to be completely normal. I put my bike in a family members garage for the winter a few weeks ago, never had any problems besides the battery draining before that. Went to put stabilizer in it maybe a week ago, and when making sure it would start up I ran into the problem. Didn't put stabilizer in it or anything yet. Since I was already having issues with the battery I bought a new one, but that didn't change anything. The bike works like normal other than the priming sound you usually hear, and it will crank but not fire. The battery I used to jump start it is the same voltage as my bikes, so I didn't think that would be a problem, might've been wrong. The FI light is working normally to my knowledge, its always stayed on until actually start the bike. No flashing for the error codes. The shop checked the fuel pump and it works fine with a direct connection. They couldn't even confirm if it was the bank angle sensor or ecu, but that's what they think it is because of other things working properly. They want to start with the bank angle sensor though.
My whole deal is I would rather not spend $1000 to fix the ECU when its not the ECU, so I was just looking for other opinions.

And about double posting, I honestly didn't mean too. Is there any way to delete the other post?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 03:21 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Garage
The fi light is not the low oil pressure light

If you can't verify the operation of the engine stop relay first then we can't proceed.

When you toggle the kill switch, if the FI and HESD lights don't come on for a few seconds then extinguish, then you have an issue in the engine stop circuit, not the fuel pump circuit.

I'll wait for you to report back with an answer to the first question before going any further.

Last edited by wibbly; 11-07-2018 at 03:27 PM.
dixon cider (11-07-2018)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 06:46 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

You talk about it not starting and not turning over, which one is it? Does it turn over without firing or does it not even crank?

'06 F4i- Yoshimura RS-3C, Racetech springs and valves, Ohlin's rear shock, steel brake lines, 520 conversion. 87k miles and counting.....
'08 600RR- Stripped trackbike. CRG shorty brake lever, goodridge front brake lines
'15 1000RR- weekend toy
------Disclaimer: I can't spell------
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 08:23 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored&stroked View Post
You talk about it not starting and not turning over, which one is it? Does it turn over without firing or does it not even crank?
Seems very few people know the difference anymore, makes it nigh impossible to diagnose online.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 06:47 AM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
First, it has nothing to do with fuel stabilizer. You could put water in the tank and the pump should still prime.

Second, you didn't do any damage from jump starting with a 12v car battery, especially if the car was not running. When jumping the bike draws from the battery, the battery doesn't force current into the bike so unless the car was running it can't really harm it.

Third, you can check your bank angle sensor (which would prevent the pump from priming) by simply unplugging it (left side below clip on, next to your headlight plug and looks similar) and bridging two of the connections -- get a small piece of wire and insert one end into the two outer holes of the three hole plug on the bike side. This will make a complete circuit and tell the ECU the bank sensor is good. Your shop should really know this.

Fourth, the odds that this has anything to do with the ECU, providing you never messed with it in the past, are about zero.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bat-1 For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (11-10-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page