Bending/Clearancing Titanium Exhaust ? - 600RR.net
General Discussion General Honda CBR600RR Motorcycle Talk - please place mods, tech tips and off topic threads in the correct forums.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Bending/Clearancing Titanium Exhaust ?

Hi guys;

I bought an Arata Titanium exhaust earlier in the year and its hitting the oil pan in a few places. Are there any special tricks to clearancing exhaust with titanum? Anyone run into this before and have to address it?

06 CBR 600 RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 01:09 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Titanium is a little weaker than steel, for the same thicknesses (1/8" steel plate is about 5% stronger than a 1/8" titanium plate, but titanium plate is about 45% lighter weight). Everyone seems to forget about the "pound for pound" part of the statement when thinking about the strength of titanium. Any clearance issues can be dealt with in a similar manner as steel (much trickier to weld though).
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

I hate to do it but if it were regular steel I would heat it and crimp it where necessary. I'm wondering if that's going to be the way forward.

06 CBR 600 RR

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 02:16 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Thanked 1,046 Times in 852 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
if you try to bend or reshape that exhaust it'll break.

chances are it's .035 wall, and after as many heat cycles as it's had, it will likely be brittle. your best bet is to loosen everything off and use spacers at the mounts to try to shift it as necessary.

ti does NOT bend the way steel does. not even a little.
The Following User Says Thank You to wibbly For This Useful Post:
tary preisser (02-22-2019)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbly View Post
if you try to bend or reshape that exhaust it'll break.

chances are it's .035 wall, and after as many heat cycles as it's had, it will likely be brittle. your best bet is to loosen everything off and use spacers at the mounts to try to shift it as necessary.

ti does NOT bend the way steel does. not even a little.
Perfect, thanks for the info as I would hate to wreck it. It cost a lot (even used) and it is mint. So I will take a much closer look and start thinking along those lines as the preferred way to go.

06 CBR 600 RR
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Just an update. I re-built the engine and suspension during the off season and did some tranny work too. When done I had to re-visit the exhaust clearance issues. I took it up to my buddy's shop and we heated it with a torch and it proved to be not hard to bend or re-shape. I had to dimple one pipe due to clearance on the oil cooler and this was no issue. We took that piece of pipe off, heated it, and pushed on it with a socket of just the right size. Ended up with a perfect dimple that's smooth and precise (you would think it's factory).

I also had issues with clearance on the front oil pan bolts on both sides. We heated the pipes and I pulled down on them and we gained 1/8 clearance on both bolts. We also had to re-shape a couple of other areas with no issues. Long and short, if you are careful heating it, no problems at all.

On two of the more important bends the pipe was heated a bit more then I'd like but after it cooled I hit the pipes with Mother's Mag polish and it brought the finish right back to as new. There was also a larger then preferred exhaust leak on the balance tube between the front pipes on one side. We were also able to address that with no issue.

So....if you need to clearance Titanium exhaust it can be done, and it can be done well. I'm pleased to report that the exhaust is smooth, free-flowing, and does not hit any point on the engine. So have no fear. In the end we were very pleased with the results!

06 CBR 600 RR
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arjay67 For This Useful Post:
tary preisser (02-22-2019), Wazoo (02-22-2019)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 01:40 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Glad to hear it!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 02:03 AM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazoo View Post
Glad to hear it!
Thanks, I wanted to update the thread because their was **** for info on clearancing Ti exhaust. As it turns out, you were right.

06 CBR 600 RR
The Following User Says Thank You to Arjay67 For This Useful Post:
Wazoo (02-22-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page