VIN number is a bit different than normal - CBR600RR - 600RR.net
General Discussion General Honda CBR600RR Motorcycle Talk - please place mods, tech tips and off topic threads in the correct forums.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question VIN number is a bit different than normal - CBR600RR

Hey guys!

So I've had my 2004 CBR600RR for a couple of years now and just recently a friend of mine (who works at a motorcycle performance parts store) told me that my VIN number is not in the regular format for CBR600RRs and after he searched a couple of databases he told me that it's a limited edition bike. Also, there has always been a sticker with the number 1196 on the bike, next to the VIN area. The previous owner imported the bike from the US in 2006 and doesn't know if it's a limited edition or not. Instead of JH or HC my VIN starts with PC37 followed by 7 numbers, a total of 11 characters, which is weird as well. Anyone know of any special/limited editions or have any other explanation about this?

(I attached an image of the sticker)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vin.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	200389  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 04:23 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

https://www.motorcyclespareparts.eu/...a-model-prefix

Shows PC for a 600RR, but I've never seen that and that's not how Vin's read here in America. I was a service writer for a couple years in that time frame [06-07] and never saw anything like that.

'06 F4i- Yoshimura RS-3C, Racetech springs and valves, Ohlin's rear shock, steel brake lines, 520 conversion. 87k miles and counting.....
'08 600RR- Stripped trackbike. CRG shorty brake lever, goodridge front brake lines
'15 1000RR- weekend toy
------Disclaimer: I can't spell------
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 06:43 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Thanked 1,039 Times in 845 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
That's probably just the import sticker. .

What does it say on the head stock

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 02:07 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbly View Post
That's probably just the import sticker. .

What does it say on the head stock
Look above the yellow dot, that is the head stamp.

'06 F4i- Yoshimura RS-3C, Racetech springs and valves, Ohlin's rear shock, steel brake lines, 520 conversion. 87k miles and counting.....
'08 600RR- Stripped trackbike. CRG shorty brake lever, goodridge front brake lines
'15 1000RR- weekend toy
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 02:20 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Garage
Sorry didnt see that. Shitty pic lol

Maybe it's a replacement frame.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bored&stroked View Post
https://www.motorcyclespareparts.eu/...a-model-prefix

Shows PC for a 600RR, but I've never seen that and that's not how Vin's read here in America. I was a service writer for a couple years in that time frame [06-07] and never saw anything like that.
in the link you provided it does seem like PC37 is a normal prefix for 04 CBRs. hmm.. but still my VIN is 11 characters instead of 15-17 :/
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
Quote:
Sorry didnt see that. Shitty pic lol

Maybe it's a replacement frame.
I thought about that at first but I doubt it. I didn't find any evidence that supported that and the title is clean and has the correct VIN. There would be a record of a frame swap when registering the bike if somewhere down the line the VIN changed. Also, since the bike was imported from the US why would the import sticker have Japanese on it?
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 06:30 PM
Pocketbike Racer

This is pretty much an uneducated guess, but I don't think that VIN is US market. Imported most likely. AFAIK since 1981 all US market vehicles required a 17 character VIN. What you have was likely a "gray market import". I don't know where you are located, but that moto was not originally from the US.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Last edited by 498cm3; 01-15-2019 at 06:41 PM.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 07:45 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholisd View Post
There would be a record of a frame swap when registering the bike if somewhere down the line the VIN changed.
You can't change a vin, that's not a thing.
Replacement frames from Honda do not come with a vin stamped on the headstock, they only come with a new vin sticker otherwise its a blank frame.

'15 1000RR- weekend toy
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 498cm3 View Post
This is pretty much an uneducated guess, but I don't think that VIN is US market. Imported most likely. AFAIK since 1981 all US market vehicles required a 17 character VIN. What you have was likely a "gray market import". I don't know where you are located, but that moto was not originally from the US.

I'm located in Cyprus (Europe). That may very well be the case that my bike was not originally from the US but when I bought it the guy showed me the relevant paperwork from 2006 documenting the import. I also called T.O.M (kind of like the DMV in the US, they have the histories of any motor vehicle registered in the country) myself of course before buying the bike and the bike's history checked out. The bike arrived in Cyprus from the US in the summer (can't remember the month, I think August) of 2006. So if this VIN is definitely not US then I guess the bike came from Japan (or somewhere?) to the US as a grey market import like you said? Maybe.. is there any system you guys have in the US that I can use to check this out?
The Following User Says Thank You to nicholisd For This Useful Post:
498cm3 (01-16-2019)
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
Quote:
You can't change a vin, that's not a thing.
Replacement frames from Honda do not come with a vin stamped on the headstock, they only come with a new vin sticker otherwise its a blank frame.
I didn't know that thanks for letting me know. I thought that when getting a new frame from Honda they stamp a new VIN on it but i guess i was wrong. So is the VIN stamped on after the bike is ready to be registered? how does that go? and do they use a new VIN or the one from the swapped frame? Sorry if these sound like stupid questions I am just trying to figure out where my bike came from
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 02:45 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
I didn't know that thanks for letting me know. I thought that when getting a new frame from Honda they stamp a new VIN on it but i guess i was wrong. So is the VIN stamped on after the bike is ready to be registered? how does that go? and do they use a new VIN or the one from the swapped frame? Sorry if these sound like stupid questions I am just trying to figure out where my bike came from
The replacement frame comes with an oem sticker just like the one on the left side of the frame as they came from the factory. The vin is never stamped into the headstock, there is no requirement to do so. I don't know if its like that everywhere here though, I just know that's how it goes in Arizona.

'15 1000RR- weekend toy
The Following User Says Thank You to bored&stroked For This Useful Post:
nicholisd (01-17-2019)
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
Quote:
The replacement frame comes with an oem sticker just like the one on the left side of the frame as they came from the factory. The vin is never stamped into the headstock, there is no requirement to do so. I don't know if its like that everywhere here though, I just know that's how it goes in Arizona.

So since the VIN is stamped then it's probably not a replacement frame right? Well unless they took a frame from a totalled bike or something which i highly doubt. Still should have a record of it so im confident that my bike has its original frame and VIN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 09:23 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Garage
i guess the real question here is why does it matter at all? what are you wasting your time on here? the bike is 100% in tact, works properly, you haven't complained about a thing, isn't that enough?
The Following User Says Thank You to wibbly For This Useful Post:
498cm3 (01-17-2019)
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 02:45 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
I just wanted to find out if anyone knows if my VIN represents any known limited edition of the CBR, to see whether my friend was right or not. Chill dude it's just a conversation

post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 05:56 AM
Knee Dragger

sounds like a typical VIn for the rest of the world to me, I buy and sell Ducati parts from time to time and the US numbers are very different to everywhere else.
I don't know a lot about Honda numbers but i find it interesting that your VIN starts with PC37 in 2004 and my 2007 ENGINE number starts with PC40...

My Vin for my 2007 starts with JH2P and that's off the rivetted on data plate from the factory. My engine was originally sold in Australia as it's a std road bike engine but my Chassis came from Ten Kate in Holland built as a SS bike so it's VIN is probably a japanese VIN and not for any particular market.

Muddy things some more for you i guess?
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 06:14 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
I just wanted to find out if anyone knows if my VIN represents any known limited edition of the CBR, to see whether my friend was right or not. Chill dude it's just a conversation

What is the color code of your motorcycle? Does it have some special equipment or something? I am thinking that maybe your friend needs to go further in his research and can solve this mystery?

Last edited by 498cm3; 01-18-2019 at 06:47 AM.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 03:12 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
i guess the real question here is why does it matter at all? what are you wasting your time on here? the bike is 100% in tact, works properly, you haven't complained about a thing, isn't that enough?
The world is not enough. And he's complained he doesn't understand this weird VIN. If he's wasting his time researching aren't you wasting your time answering?

'15 1000RR- weekend toy
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bored&stroked For This Useful Post:
nicholisd (01-19-2019), tary preisser (01-18-2019)
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 498cm3 View Post
What is the color code of your motorcycle? Does it have some special equipment or something? I am thinking that maybe your friend needs to go further in his research and can solve this mystery?
As far as I understand from some research online, the blue/silver colour scheme was standard in '04. Nothing limited about the colour itself. I'm gonna look further into this and let you guys know if I find anything else!
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cropduster View Post
sounds like a typical VIn for the rest of the world to me, I buy and sell Ducati parts from time to time and the US numbers are very different to everywhere else.
I don't know a lot about Honda numbers but i find it interesting that your VIN starts with PC37 in 2004 and my 2007 ENGINE number starts with PC40...

My Vin for my 2007 starts with JH2P and that's off the rivetted on data plate from the factory. My engine was originally sold in Australia as it's a std road bike engine but my Chassis came from Ten Kate in Holland built as a SS bike so it's VIN is probably a japanese VIN and not for any particular market.

Muddy things some more for you i guess?
That's interesting actually. Your VIN seems to be of a more standard format than mine. I'm gonna see next week if I get a chance to go down to my Honda dealer and see if there were any limited edition CBRs that match my VIN format. I'll let you guys know if I find out anything else!
The Following User Says Thank You to nicholisd For This Useful Post:
498cm3 (01-19-2019)
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 09:39 AM
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 2,462 Times in 1,717 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
The world is not enough. And he's complained he doesn't understand this weird VIN. If he's wasting his time researching aren't you wasting your time answering?
Dude, come on. You know him. If it's not important to him...it's not important.
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 06:48 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

lol. Your not wrong!

'15 1000RR- weekend toy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page