Considering a CBR600RR - Got two options - Need advice! - 600RR.net
General Discussion General Honda CBR600RR Motorcycle Talk - please place mods, tech tips and off topic threads in the correct forums.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Considering a CBR600RR - Got two options - Need advice!

I need to buy my first big bike. I'm located in the UK, so we have the whole 125cc for a bit, then jump up system in place.

I have looked at everything. From a tourer, to a naked, to a supersports. I generally leaned away from a supersports due to my height (6 foot 3), but I just feel like the grin on my face will outweigh the back pain haha

Option 1: I went to go and see a CBR600RR yesterday:
- 30,000 miles 2006 model
- Pristine condition other than a slight crack around the left indicator due to a drop
- Been track ridden
- 2 owners (one for 27k miles, current owner used it mostly for track for 3k)
- Fairings have apparently been resprayed (they're white, there wasn't a white model) but are original
- Priced at £2,700

I love the look of the bike, but I don't know whether the fact it is 30k and been track ridden should put me off.

Option 2: 2006 CBR600RR 11k Miles
- Movistar Fairing Kit (Not OEM I don't Think)
- 11k Miles
- Sold by dealer, so previous owner unknown
- Haven't seen in person yet
- Priced at £3,300

What are your thoughts?

Looking for my first big bike! Help!

Last edited by ArcticPanda; 02-18-2019 at 09:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 08:51 AM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
What year is the first bike? Both generations, 03-06 and 07+, sit differently so sit in them and try to ride them if you can. The earlier ones you sit more “in” the bike, the laters more “on” the bike. Sone like one, some like the other.

Otherwise the 07+ are known as the lightest and the most refined so with a ton of parts around and a healthy aftermarket presence, I’d stay with an 07+ bike if it were me. If it’s between the two above, pick the one best maintained and the one that speaks loudest to you.

- '17 Ducati Supersport S
- '13 Kymco Super 8 150
- '11 Triumph Sprint GT
- '10 Yamaha WR250R
- Past rides: too many to list
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 08:54 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Don't let "track riden" scare you away. These bikes are meant for it! If it hasn't been crashed, I wouldn't worry about it.

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miweber929 View Post
What year is the first bike? Both generations, 03-06 and 07+, sit differently so sit in them and try to ride them if you can. The earlier ones you sit more “in” the bike, the laters more “on” the bike. Sone like one, some like the other.

Otherwise the 07+ are known as the lightest and the most refined so with a ton of parts around and a healthy aftermarket presence, I’d stay with an 07+ bike if it were me. If it’s between the two above, pick the one best maintained and the one that speaks loudest to you.
They're both 2006 (edited now).

The 30k one is pretty much 100% standard, other than some braided brake lines, and some bar end protectors.

The 11k one has obviously got the aftermarket Movistar fairings. It also has an Akrapovic exhaust and frame sliders. As far as I'm aware

The first bike will need a service and new tyres, as currently it has race slicks on it. But the seller has suggested he's willing to eat the cost of the tires and service.

Not sure if the pricing is even that good? I'm worried it'll get to 40k miles, and suddenly loose a tonne of value

post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazoo View Post
Don't let "track riden" scare you away. These bikes are meant for it! If it hasn't been crashed, I wouldn't worry about it.
Hasn't been crashed, just dropped in the gravel at the side of Le Mans during a track day. Which caused a crack around the left indicator stalk in the fairing

post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 10:02 AM
Pocketbike Racer

There is a limited edition Movistar for 06. Silver frame on stock Movistar. https://www.600rr.net/vb/15-general-...r-edition.html
Maybe it's original?
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
There is a limited edition Movistar for 06. Silver frame on stock Movistar. https://www.600rr.net/vb/15-general-...r-edition.html
Maybe it's original?
It is 100% not original. The 'stickers' don't match the official Honda photos. Has an AGV logo instead of a Castrol one on the low fairing etc

The Following User Says Thank You to ArcticPanda For This Useful Post:
Wazoo (02-18-2019)
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Option 2 unfortunately sold today. So I'm left with only the track bike with 30k miles

post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 08:50 PM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticPanda View Post
I'm worried it'll get to 40k miles, and suddenly loose a tonne of value
Anything over 10k miles loses value in the US and there’s another drop, the big one, at 20K. Thing is a properly maintained motor will go 100,000+ miles without issue so you have to ask yourself what’s worth it.

Personally, I really like the 07+ over the 03-06 models so I wouldn’t recommend them to anyone as they are 13-16 years old now and starting to have age related wiggles. The best “value” years of the RR are the 09+ bikes as everyone says they are down hp and up in weight compared to the “magical” 07/08 models. In truth, yeah, in practice, you’ll never notice the difference and a $50 part will retire the lost HP.

Your call, your budget. If it’s properly maintained, enjoy it!!!!

- '13 Kymco Super 8 150
- '11 Triumph Sprint GT
- '10 Yamaha WR250R
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 09:26 PM
Knee Dragger

Garage
LOVE the 06's. Best designed honda supersport so far in my opinion. Don't be in a rush to get something. Wait for the one that calls to you. There will always be another option down the road. If it's going to be your first 600cc, maybe consider getting a cheaper, older one so you aren't dumping a bunch of cash into something you might not like. Good luck!

Down with the arrogant.
The Following User Says Thank You to tarowe44 For This Useful Post:
ArcticPanda (02-19-2019)
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 03:21 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarowe44 View Post
LOVE the 06's. Best designed honda supersport so far in my opinion. Don't be in a rush to get something. Wait for the one that calls to you. There will always be another option down the road. If it's going to be your first 600cc, maybe consider getting a cheaper, older one so you aren't dumping a bunch of cash into something you might not like. Good luck!
This is why I'm considering the 30k mileage one. I think I may be able to convince the seller to drop the price down to £2,200 so I can budget for brand new tires and a service/check-up - At £2,200 it is cheap enough for me to take a gamble I think.

I also think with the 30k one, because the mileage is so high, realistically, I will just keep it until it makes no financial sense for it to keep running, as once it gets to 40k miles, the value will plummet

post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 03:23 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Anything over 10k miles loses value in the US and there’s another drop, the big one, at 20K. Thing is a properly maintained motor will go 100,000+ miles without issue so you have to ask yourself what’s worth it.

Personally, I really like the 07+ over the 03-06 models so I wouldn’t recommend them to anyone as they are 13-16 years old now and starting to have age related wiggles. The best “value” years of the RR are the 09+ bikes as everyone says they are down hp and up in weight compared to the “magical” 07/08 models. In truth, yeah, in practice, you’ll never notice the difference and a $50 part will retire the lost HP.

Your call, your budget. If it’s properly maintained, enjoy it!!!!
The 30k mile 2006 CBR I mentioned is literally in cleaner condition than my 2007 Honda Varadero with 5k miles - Which I think is a testament to how well kept it has been. Despite living near the sea, the previous owner has kept it spotless. No rust spots I can see, other than some slight pitting on the front brake lever (which can easily be replaced)

post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 06:55 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Personally I would keep looking and avoid a track day bike. Although they're strong bikes and great on a track do you really want a bike that has been raced for a large part of it life?
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 07:31 AM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisel View Post
Personally I would keep looking and avoid a track day bike. Although they're strong bikes and great on a track do you really want a bike that has been raced for a large part of it life?
Since when is a track day bike a race bike?

And why exactly is that a bad thing it’s been ridden as it’s been designed?

Op, if it’s been maintained, you’re fine. If it’s been beat it’s whole life and left in poor repair, move on. Simple as that.

- '13 Kymco Super 8 150
- '11 Triumph Sprint GT
- '10 Yamaha WR250R
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Since when is a track day bike a race bike?

And why exactly is that a bad thing it’s been ridden as it’s been designed?

Op, if it’s been maintained, you’re fine. If it’s been beat it’s whole life and left in poor repair, move on. Simple as that.
I'm having it checked out by a local mechanic this week, as my technical knowledge isn't great beyond the simple things.

So, if he gives it a good report, I'll make an offer

Miweber929 (02-20-2019)
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 11:36 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
Welcome.

UK here too. I have a rather boring viewpoint on this, but don't wish to put you off at all.

Firstly a couple of questions as your post was lacking a bit of info. It sounds like you've just progressed from a 125, unsure if you've ridden a 600cc bike before, so please excuse my questions.

How old are you?
How long have you been riding?
What bikes have you ridden before?
And where in the country are you?

My main concern would be the somewhat unforgiving nature of these bikes in the hands of a new rider who doesn't have much experience under their belt.
Again, please excuse me if you have been riding for years, have a background in offroading or something similar.
I just want to be sure that you're not going to go from a CB125 onto a 600RR and expect it to be just a bit more powerful. :)

The location question was just regarding insurance.... as you may get stung on a supersport if you live in a city and don't have much NCB.

... That aside, personally I would go for the slight more expensive lower mileage bike. It will have a warranty of sorts from the dealer which offers peace of mind against the private seller. It also has the expensive exhaust and sliders... things you'd probably buy anyway (but be aware the exhaust may increase your insurance premium)
Believe Movistar fairings may be OEM, but best to check if they all fit correctly or look cheap and aftermarket. If you like how they look, then that's a plus.
The lower mileage is a bonus, as it's not seen as much time on the road, but as long as the bike has been well maintained, that's key.

If this will be your first >125cc bike, have a read:
https://www.600rr.net/vb/15-general-...-1st-bike.html

Steve
'04 CBR 600RR
IBA #40198

Last edited by InsolentMinx; 02-20-2019 at 11:40 AM.
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsolentMinx View Post
Welcome.

UK here too. I have a rather boring viewpoint on this, but don't wish to put you off at all.

Firstly a couple of questions as your post was lacking a bit of info. It sounds like you've just progressed from a 125, unsure if you've ridden a 600cc bike before, so please excuse my questions.

How old are you?
How long have you been riding?
What bikes have you ridden before?
And where in the country are you?

My main concern would be the somewhat unforgiving nature of these bikes in the hands of a new rider who doesn't have much experience under their belt.
Again, please excuse me if you have been riding for years, have a background in offroading or something similar.
I just want to be sure that you're not going to go from a CB125 onto a 600RR and expect it to be just a bit more powerful. :)

The location question was just regarding insurance.... as you may get stung on a supersport if you live in a city and don't have much NCB.

... That aside, personally I would go for the slight more expensive lower mileage bike. It will have a warranty of sorts from the dealer which offers peace of mind against the private seller. It also has the expensive exhaust and sliders... things you'd probably buy anyway (but be aware the exhaust may increase your insurance premium)
Believe Movistar fairings may be OEM, but best to check if they all fit correctly or look cheap and aftermarket. If you like how they look, then that's a plus.
The lower mileage is a bonus, as it's not seen as much time on the road, but as long as the bike has been well maintained, that's key.

If this will be your first >125cc bike, have a read:
https://www.600rr.net/vb/15-general-...-1st-bike.html
Hey,

I don't mind the questions at all.

I'm not technically in the UK, on an island off the UK, where our top speed is 40mph, and we have no motorways. So, in terms of speed, there's not much damage which can be done (assuming obeying the law at all times).

Age, I'm 25 (going on 50).

I've been riding just over a year and a half consistently every day of the week to and from work. on a 125cc Varadero, so in terms of the weight, this won't be too much of a jump up. However, the ergos, speed, power delivery, torque etc I'm well aware will be night and day.

My plan is to get a course booked in for my first day riding it so that I'm with a teacher in a controlled environment prior to properly going out on the road.

I've also read it would be wise to keep it below 8k rpm for the first few weeks until I'm pretty used to the throttle action etc.

I've had an insurance quote of £520 for the year, which I thought was reasonable.

As for the bikes. The 2nd option sold unfortunately, so that's out the window. I am having the 1st option checked by a local mechanic tomorrow night to give it the green light (or red light). I also have a 'good feeling' about the seller. He's gone through a lot of effort to find out more details from the previous seller, and the bike really is immaculate. It is in better condition than my 5000 mile Varadero.

My main worry is just that it has been tracked. The last thing I want is to buy a bike, and then the engine blows up 500 miles later.

Realistically, I'd like to keep this for a few years, and put another 20k miles on it. Which from my reading seems possible, as I've seen people reach 100k on these!

post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 04:49 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Tracked can mean so many things.
Was he a beginner that doesn't even open the throttle on the straits and puts around like a nimrod?
Was he an advanced racer that literally banged the revs off the limiter even in the corners?
Or was he somewhere in the middle?

3000 miles is a lot for just track use. I don't think I've ever done more then 150 miles at a trackday. If he was a C group rider I wouldn't give it a second thought. B group maybe. A group would really make me think hard. Mechanics check won't catch internal engine wear.

'06 F4i- Yoshimura RS-3C, Racetech springs and valves, Ohlin's rear shock, steel brake lines, 520 conversion. 87k miles and counting.....
'08 600RR- Stripped trackbike. CRG shorty brake lever, goodridge front brake lines
'15 1000RR- weekend toy
------Disclaimer: I can't spell------
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored&stroked View Post
Tracked can mean so many things.
Was he a beginner that doesn't even open the throttle on the straits and puts around like a nimrod?
Was he an advanced racer that literally banged the revs off the limiter even in the corners?
Or was he somewhere in the middle?

3000 miles is a lot for just track use. I don't think I've ever done more then 150 miles at a trackday. If he was a C group rider I wouldn't give it a second thought. B group maybe. A group would really make me think hard. Mechanics check won't catch internal engine wear.
He's described himself as a pretty tame track rider. While it has no doubt been at its top speed on the straights. He's said it hasn't been banged off the redline

I don't know if all 3,000 miles are on track, but the majority of them are I believe

post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 03:50 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
Quote:
Hey,

I don't mind the questions at all.

I'm not technically in the UK, on an island off the UK, where our top speed is 40mph, and we have no motorways. So, in terms of speed, there's not much damage which can be done (assuming obeying the law at all times).

Age, I'm 25 (going on 50).

I've been riding just over a year and a half consistently every day of the week to and from work. on a 125cc Varadero, so in terms of the weight, this won't be too much of a jump up. However, the ergos, speed, power delivery, torque etc I'm well aware will be night and day.

My plan is to get a course booked in for my first day riding it so that I'm with a teacher in a controlled environment prior to properly going out on the road.

I've also read it would be wise to keep it below 8k rpm for the first few weeks until I'm pretty used to the throttle action etc.

I've had an insurance quote of £520 for the year, which I thought was reasonable.

As for the bikes. The 2nd option sold unfortunately, so that's out the window. I am having the 1st option checked by a local mechanic tomorrow night to give it the green light (or red light). I also have a 'good feeling' about the seller. He's gone through a lot of effort to find out more details from the previous seller, and the bike really is immaculate. It is in better condition than my 5000 mile Varadero.

My main worry is just that it has been tracked. The last thing I want is to buy a bike, and then the engine blows up 500 miles later.

Realistically, I'd like to keep this for a few years, and put another 20k miles on it. Which from my reading seems possible, as I've seen people reach 100k on these!
Ah, you're from Jersey
I've never been but heard it's lovely. A 40mph limit is crazy though!! You'd not need to change out of 1st gear on the RR

Sounds like you're planning on being sensible which is good, I'd just be sad that I'd hardly be able to stretch the bike's legs if I could only ride at 40mph... Almost seems a shame to have a bike like this for such slow riding. But they do look gorgeous. And I personally find mine pretty comfy, although I'm quite a bit shorter than you.
I'd probably be more inclined to spend £2500 on a carbonfibre road bicycle and try to hit 40mph on that

These bikes are made for the track, so I don't think the engine would blow up if he's servicing it, but with all used bikes there is a slight risk.
At the end of the day, there's as much of a risk with an 11,000mile bike that's been poorly maintained; as with a 30,000 mile bike that's been ridden hard, but well maintained.

Honda are known for bulletproof bikes, I've no doubt they could hit 100,000 miles. Mine's on close to 30 and I've had it for 10 years, but I hardly get much chance to ride it. Lately I've been doing less than 500miles a year :( The 'downside' to having 2 young kids.

Hopefully the mechanic gives you the green light though.
Even if you own it for a year, these bikes don't seem to drop value much now they're over 10 years old, so you'd probably not have much trouble selling it if you don't mesh.

Steve
'04 CBR 600RR
IBA #40198
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Ah, you're from Jersey
I've never been but heard it's lovely. A 40mph limit is crazy though!! You'd not need to change out of 1st gear on the RR

Sounds like you're planning on being sensible which is good, I'd just be sad that I'd hardly be able to stretch the bike's legs if I could only ride at 40mph... Almost seems a shame to have a bike like this for such slow riding. But they do look gorgeous. And I personally find mine pretty comfy, although I'm quite a bit shorter than you.
I'd probably be more inclined to spend £2500 on a carbonfibre road bicycle and try to hit 40mph on that

These bikes are made for the track, so I don't think the engine would blow up if he's servicing it, but with all used bikes there is a slight risk.
At the end of the day, there's as much of a risk with an 11,000mile bike that's been poorly maintained; as with a 30,000 mile bike that's been ridden hard, but well maintained.

Honda are known for bulletproof bikes, I've no doubt they could hit 100,000 miles. Mine's on close to 30 and I've had it for 10 years, but I hardly get much chance to ride it. Lately I've been doing less than 500miles a year :( The 'downside' to having 2 young kids.

Hopefully the mechanic gives you the green light though.
Even if you own it for a year, these bikes don't seem to drop value much now they're over 10 years old, so you'd probably not have much trouble selling it if you don't mesh.
He has told me that he's regularly changed fluids (oil etc) after track days, and he seems pretty meticulous with maintenance. The bike was spotless when I saw it, which is a rarity with us living by the sea.

Fingers crossed! I'll be sure to let you know how it goes

post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 04:05 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
Quote:
He has told me that he's regularly changed fluids (oil etc) after track days, and he seems pretty meticulous with maintenance. The bike was spotless when I saw it, which is a rarity with us living by the sea.

Fingers crossed! I'll be sure to let you know how it goes

All sounds promising.

Steve
'04 CBR 600RR
IBA #40198
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 09:15 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Riding at the track isn't cheap. Anyone who goes to the track regularly is a more than likely a motorcycle junkie. They live for riding. That being said, they usually maintain there bikes better than most as that is part of the addiction.
post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Riding at the track isn't cheap. Anyone who goes to the track regularly is a more than likely a motorcycle junkie. They live for riding. That being said, they usually maintain there bikes better than most as that is part of the addiction.
Yeah I have no doubt the current owners maintenance was top notch, it is the previous owner who consists of 27k out of 30k miles that worries me a bit. As well as to what extent the track racing would have damaged the life of the engine

Wazoo (02-21-2019)
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

I bought it!!!

post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 05:16 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage

Congrats!
Now....

Steve
'04 CBR 600RR
IBA #40198
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:

Congrats!
Now....

post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 08:38 PM
Knee Dragger

Garage
that. is.. FLIPPIN SWEET! Nice find! Such a good lookin bike.

Down with the arrogant.
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 08:50 PM
World Superbike Racer

Great looking bike, congrats!!!!

- '13 Kymco Super 8 150
- '11 Triumph Sprint GT
- '10 Yamaha WR250R
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 01:45 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Very nice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page