engine noises after oil change - 600RR.net
General Discussion General Honda CBR600RR Motorcycle Talk - please place mods, tech tips and off topic threads in the correct forums.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
engine noises after oil change

History:
bought the bike around a month ago, with 24,5xx miles, seems to be an abuse bike, but she was running fine no funny noise anything, its a 2005 cbr600rr; oil on her was kind of black, so i replace it with some rotella T6 blue bottle, high recommended oil in this forum.

Now:
bike now has around 25,1xx miles and i notice around 200 miles ago that my clutch its making a noise like a bearing noise and i feel it vibrating a little bit more, but if i press the clutch in this goes away, noise and vibration, now on cold start i feel like the CCT may be kind of loosing pressure it was a new noise around 4k rpm under soft loads, after the bike warm up a little been running for around 10 mins or so this goes away.

Questions:
-Does anyone experience this as well?
-Something i should look? (i know i need to open the clutch and inspect the basket and clutch; and maybe replace the CCT)

Note:
i think i will stick with Honda oil next time or use OEM recommended one, because this rotella T6 have show me anything positive on this bike.

Them: You think you Funny?
Me: No, I'm adorable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
anyone? all comments are accepted!

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
no one in here have noise on their bike that can give a opinion?

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 03:56 AM
Knee Dragger

If it's been abused chances are the clutch is worn.

There's a possibility the previous owner put a heavy viscosity oil in it to hide noises on start up in order to sell it easier.....

I doubt there's anything wrong with using Rotella, that's Shell right? as long as it's the correct viscosity and not an "Energy saving" type that has friction modifiers that are bad for wet clutches it will be fine.

The CCT failing is no big deal, from what i've read its about right miles wise, i've changed mine and it's easy, and not expensive, and like i said, if it's been abused the clutch is likely knackered so sorting that would have been needed sooner rather than later anyway.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cropduster View Post
If it's been abused chances are the clutch is worn.

There's a possibility the previous owner put a heavy viscosity oil in it to hide noises on start up in order to sell it easier.....

I doubt there's anything wrong with using Rotella, that's Shell right? as long as it's the correct viscosity and not an "Energy saving" type that has friction modifiers that are bad for wet clutches it will be fine.

The CCT failing is no big deal, from what i've read its about right miles wise, i've changed mine and it's easy, and not expensive, and like i said, if it's been abused the clutch is likely knackered so sorting that would have been needed sooner rather than later anyway.
thanks for the response, so i will definitely get a CCT and replace it, OEM one or does manual aftermarket one? what people normally use on here? and yes it was Shell Rotella T6 not the energy saving one, and im around 90% sure that bike was abuse before, now my question its, getting just clutch or baskets as well?

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 05:49 PM
Knee Dragger

Mine is an 07 and i replaced my CCT with a genuine one because i didn't want the agro of adjusting it and the original was prone to failure (or so i've read) and upgraded.

The clutch you will have to inspect, i'm in the same boat, waiting for my slipper to arrive before i pull mine apart and not sure if i need a new basket or not, some say i will, others reckon not.......
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
well i guess i will be buying the clutch and after i open everything in there will figure it out what else i will need, so i will order the CCT OEM from honda then and replace that. thanks will post work details when i start into it.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
replace my CCT yesterday, with an OEM Honda one, new CCT and Gasket, engine noise at around 4K rpm went away at one, bike feels a little less noisy now, thanks for the adv and the clutch noise and vibration its still there, i think i will order a new clutch kit and open it up, doesnt seems to be a gasket for the cover, or is it?

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 01:01 AM
Training Wheel Hero

There's no hard gasket. the factory uses a liquid to create a gasket by beading up the liquid around the cover. You can see it in some youtube videos from places like partzilla. You can buy a hard gasket or get the liquid one. Whatever your preference.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 02:25 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Be careful and search OTF about clutch cover removal and replace....there's a fiddly washer that can f you.

search OTF...
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
thanks for the adv. i will watch some videos, i have replace clutch before on other bikes, kind of have an idea but always good to follow instruction from people who knows, so i appreciate the reference, and if there is not gasket i think i may use some gasket maker, i have tube at the garage so i don't have to search for something extra, now any recommendation on a clutch kit?
and what are the part its commonly replace other than clutch plates and discs? so i don't have to touch it any more,
thanks one more time

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 09:03 PM
Moto GP Racer

replace clutch springs as well?
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 01:19 AM
Pocketbike Racer

If your clutch isn't slipping, there's really no need to replace it. A little clutch rattle/noise is normal.

Mines been doing it forever, clutch grabs strong, no issues.

2003 Honda CBR600RR
- Renthal Sprockets (15/45) - DID 520ERV3
- Micron Slip on - Pair/EVAP delete
- SS front brake lines - Gilles Rearsets
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda-Power View Post
If your clutch isn't slipping, there's really no need to replace it. A little clutch rattle/noise is normal.

Mines been doing it forever, clutch grabs strong, no issues.
clutch its perfect grips well every time, never felt it slipping, so then this is something normal? this is one kind of answer i was looking for, since this is my first honda wasnt sure about this, and none of my friends owns honda either so no idea. but thanks

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 09:24 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doitmanny View Post
clutch its perfect grips well every time, never felt it slipping, so then this is something normal? this is one kind of answer i was looking for, since this is my first honda wasnt sure about this, and none of my friends owns honda either so no idea. but thanks
Well, it's hard to say if the noises you are experiencing are "normal" without hearing the bike. Can you post a clip of the bike idling?

I can tell you that when idling in nuetral, I can hear my clutch, and if I pull the lever in, the noise is different (I can't remember if quieter/louder or just different).

Also, the relative loudness of your clutch will depend on if your exhaust is stock and quiet or aftermarket and loud. Can you hear it while riding?

2003 Honda CBR600RR
- Renthal Sprockets (15/45) - DID 520ERV3
- Micron Slip on - Pair/EVAP delete
- SS front brake lines - Gilles Rearsets
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 11:41 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
look....

this is a big piece of metal with explosions happening constantly within it. there are four big metal pistons flying up and down at high rates of speed, 16 little metal valves opening and closing constantly, chains spinning around, gears meshing and turning, and all of it has no sound deadening at all. how quiet could you possibly expect it to be?!

people do work, then listen for problems they've never listened for before. i call it motorbike hypochondria.

omg i tightened my throttle cables and no my engine sounds bad. no... it always sounded bad... engines sound bad, there's a lot of bad **** going on in there.

your oil change didn't do anything.
The Following User Says Thank You to wibbly For This Useful Post:
tary preisser (04-24-2019)
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 12:43 AM
Moto GP Racer

find a yt vid of a ducati with a dry clutch.....then you'll understand what noises a clutch makes in normal service.

have 09 and clutch makes a slight whirring noise when disengaged, at idle....

50k+ miles and clutch never abused, except slipping clutch on lowest gear corners...

I don't worry about it, I remember this noise from dirt bikes also.

PS, when riding, I wear earplugs always....so I don't hear it at all.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbly View Post
look....

this is a big piece of metal with explosions happening constantly within it. there are four big metal pistons flying up and down at high rates of speed, 16 little metal valves opening and closing constantly, chains spinning around, gears meshing and turning, and all of it has no sound deadening at all. how quiet could you possibly expect it to be?!

people do work, then listen for problems they've never listened for before. i call it motorbike hypochondria.

omg i tightened my throttle cables and no my engine sounds bad. no... it always sounded bad... engines sound bad, there's a lot of bad **** going on in there.

your oil change didn't do anything.

i think you right here my friend, i like my stuff to always be in good shape, im a little meticulous, if u have a helmet on u dont hear, without helmet just the pitch a little bit louder when clutch its not preset, i will try to record it and post it, and yes stock exhaust, but i did feel the different after around 50 miles with new oil in it, and also a little vibrating when neutral and clutch out, also i notice that if i place in gear and let it roll on idle speed it sounds a bit like a coffee bean machine grinding,
i think im becoming paranoid with this stuff, feel free to judge

and the other sound was CCT that i soon i replace it went away.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page