Buying an older bike - 600RR.net
General Discussion General Honda CBR600RR Motorcycle Talk - please place mods, tech tips and off topic threads in the correct forums.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Buying an older bike

Previously I've never bought a bike older than couple of years and from someone I knew, but now I must go and by from unknown person
Also due to current economic situation I can't go for something newish and I really need a bike for this summer so I've been looking at 10-15 year old ones.
If they're mechanically good it should be fine to buy I assume? They won't drop in value much and should perform ok, I'd bring mechanic to check it but I'd still not known how it was maintained, driven and it's old, no new and shiny tech etc.
I've made a big pause in my driving career due to having other priorities and an injury (non bike related) but I can't wait anymore.

Am I stupid in wanting this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 10:41 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have an 09 with 47K on it. Have had absolutely no problems with it...
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

I'm not afraid of miles as much as not knowing if it was crashed, driven in redline daily, maintained at all. I mean there are some telltales signs but people will tidy up their stuff to make it look presentable enough.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 11:23 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_LiMiT View Post
I'm not afraid of miles as much as not knowing if it was crashed, driven in redline daily, maintained at all. I mean there are some telltales signs but people will tidy up their stuff to make it look presentable enough.
I held out until I found exactly the bike I was looking for, for the price I was looking for. I found an 08 for about the right price and saw that it was definitely in a shady state of maintenance when I bought it. It had about 25k on the clock and when I asked the seller if he had done the 16k valve check, he told me "I think so...."

I went in and laid into him about maintenance questions and asking for the history of the bike and it resulted in me getting the bike for well below what I think it should have been worth in my area. That said, I took the difference and put it right back into cashing up on what maintenance I could. almost all wearables had to be replaced, but I took the opportunity to replace all fluids at the same time, as well as the valve check. I'm now confident that my bike is where it needs to be AND ive got the satisfaction of knowing that everything on it is done the way I want.

I say all that to say that I don't think you'll ever find a used bike that you have 100% confidence in the previous owner, especially if you're a type A person that likes things done a specific way. But that said, buy the bike you want, then prepare to go over every square inch. I bought the service manual before I bought the bike, but ive got no fear of the older machines now

'08 600RR
'13 CBR250r REPSOL
'04 TJ Rubicon-5spd,5.5"lift
'00 Z28 Camaro-6spd,LS6
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 10:14 AM
Knee Dragger

This month marks 2 years since I've gone on a bike buying binge. I bought my 21st yesterday (an 06 CBR600F4i with 12.5k miles).

Of these bikes I've had serious issues with exactly none of them (and more than half had salvage titles).

Motorcycles are a substantial investment for most people and they tend to treat them nice, even baby them. Hell, most don't even ride them much.

A 20 minute test ride and thorough visual inspection should allow you to get an accurate picture of the bike's condition. Then it's just a matter of price.

If the price is right you can replace the parts that wear fairly easily so I wouldn't be at all concerned.

And the single thing that's probably most important to evaluate is the owner. If all they talk about is top speed and wheelies I'd be cautious.

And for about $10 you can buy a VIN report and see the bike's history.

Wanna buy one of mine? :)

Last edited by Bat-1; 06-26-2019 at 10:16 AM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

I don't live in US and situation here is bit different. Market for bikes is smaller and, I won't say most, but a lot of owners treat them like **** then sell after they crash and replace fairings so that's why I'm cautious. Maintenance is rare except when something goes wrong etc.
Mechanic and I will evaluate the state ok I guess but I was just wondering if there's something else I should keep in mind, but if the condition is good guess I'll go for it.

Oh and selling stolen bikes is a big thing here, they print fake import papers and edit vin number on frame&plate and then register them without issue until one day you get stopped on border for thorough check or when police impounds it for this or that and your bike is gone lol. It's bit more rare these days but I still have to be cautious.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 11:19 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Is that whatís itís like here in the Uk?

A.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

I'm not from UK either but I know bike theft is big deal there
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 03:48 PM
Knee Dragger

Obviously all I could comment on was the U.S. experience.

But bikes like the 600RR and other brands' track bikes are engineered to withstand racing level abuse. Not many of the kids who get these are capable of that.

At least not while retaining their license and skeletal integrity.

If you live in a place where people actively try to ruin their possessions then I suppose new is the only way to go.

So far I've purchased five "crashed" 600rr's. These bikes are tanks. Sure the fairings were trashed, the air duct bracket usually cracks. Ditto mirrors, levers, footpegs, turn signals, sometimes headlights. But the core parts of the bike are hard to damage. And when they are there's no hiding it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bat-1 For This Useful Post:
hotashes (06-26-2019)
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 07:08 AM
Training Wheel Hero

I looked for a used bike for months every single person selling lied about something, 99.9% of used bikes have been dropped are wrecked at least once. After deciding not to risk my life with a used bike that could have frame damage I got a brand new one for 8,000 after the old stock discount Pete cycles has last year and year before models there pushing cheap. Most super sports people don’t take care of them or do routine maintenance

chris cook
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

I found a good deal on one bike, I'd need to fix few things but if the engine and frame are fine it should be ok I guess. I opened a new thread with pics so maybe someone can take a look:
https://www.600rr.net/vb/15-general-...ml#post8021551
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page