ABS Performance on Track / Street - 600RR.net
General Discussion General Honda CBR600RR Motorcycle Talk - please place mods, tech tips and off topic threads in the correct forums.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Question ABS Performance on Track / Street

I'm having a hard time finding feedback regarding ABS and how it handles when it comes to hard braking. I understand the stopping distance is supposedly shorter and I've seen some videos about it but it's not all that smooth. I'd like to know the pros and cons before pulling the ABS trigger.

I currently ride a 2018 Honda CB500X with ABS for the time being. I noticed when I grab a handful of front brake, ABS would kick in, pulsate, and then stop the bike. The thing that scares me is the pulsating which pushes me further than where I'd like to stop. On my old 2009 CBR600RR, when I brake, it just stop. No pulsating and no creeping. I imagine when tracking, the ABS bike will let off the brake ever so lightly forcing you to overshoot the turn. Anyone share the same experience?

Here's a video of what I'm talking about at 28:25.

https://youtu.be/mca4zvRspqA?t=1705

Last edited by dreamzboy; 07-12-2019 at 07:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 09:57 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
if it does that on the CB500X, its different than on the latest gen of CBR600rr.

Its so close to seamless on the new RR bikes, its not noticeable. Honda put a lot of time and effort on the combined braking ABS and it works very well.

On the street, ABS is a must in my books. One reason I didn't get a GSXR 750 is that even the latest models do not come with it, even at all. Same price as my CBR600rr, and obviously faster in a straight line by a great deal, but the lack of abs, and the "tubbiness" were the big reasons I went for the Honda.

I ride in an area with less than perfect roads, and I also live in an area where you can (mostly) ride year round. But wet, mud, leaves, grass clippings, sand, dust, gravel, manure etc can all make a ride just a bit to exciting for me.

Admittedly, I am a newer rider, but I still think that on two wheels, and on the street at least, a GOOD ABS system is a positive thing. I have been driving for decades, and with high performance cars, and with some track experience. I would take a car that was like the GSXR750 with no abs, but not as a daily driver.

All of the latest superbikes have it. All the reviews of them state that it makes for faster lap times even on the track. On the street its almost a no brainer, but there will be many that disagree.

Oh, if you think your bikes ABS is not as good as it should be, maybe something is wrong with part of it? I've had cars with ABS that I wanted to disable, but it turned out that something was off with other parts. Fixed that and it was cosher.

17 CBR600rr some small free mods.
right heel nuclear reactor delete
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 12:58 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
if I was riding in the wet all the time, it'd be useful....to get the most out of ABS, you must learn a different braking style.

Also, FWIW, on the cbr's with ABS, bleeding is a very tedious process, non ABS takes 30 minutes to do the systems (f/r).

do a search OTF on ABS bleeding....

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 09:36 AM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Thanked 1,043 Times in 849 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You would have to be an incredibly skilled rider for abs to make you worse. Like... Insanely skilled.

The fastest riders I've ever seen on zx10s, bmws, r1s etc are using their abs systems.
The Following User Says Thank You to wibbly For This Useful Post:
JohnH (07-17-2019)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 02:21 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Thank you, wibbly......always a source of pertinent info.

I'm a slow rider, I couldn't use the ABS in the way I've seen fastest riders use it......

Being slow, no need for increasingly complicated electro/mechanical/hydraulic stuff on my bike. (exception for EFI!)

Having been on 2 wheels for some years, I like simple systems.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Has anyone coming to a corner like the video I posted where ABS scare the day light out of you?

I know and understand the importance of ABS. What I'm looking for is anyone having oh sh*t moment on it.

Thanks for all the input so far.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 11:58 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Thanked 1,043 Times in 849 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
if you're having an oh **** moment on ABS you're having a crash without it
The Following User Says Thank You to wibbly For This Useful Post:
JohnH (07-17-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page