Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

overfilled oil?

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Surteez 
#1 ·
ok so i put 2,500 miles on my oil and i put about 3 and a half quarts of 10w40 in because i read somewhere that that’s the amount it takes. now i’m looking and it says 3 quarts. so i have it overfilled by half a quart. no leaks or problems with the bike that i know of. and now i’m worried that i could have caused damage. am i ok? i’m changing the oil now cuz of it.

#2 ·
I would never just put in an amount of oil because the book says so. You never know how much you got out from the previous oil change. The only fool proof way is to check the oil using the sight glass on the right hand side of the engine casing as per the owners manual.

Run the bike for a few mins.
Switch off and wait 3-4 mins for the oil to settle.
With the bike stood upright on level ground look through the sight glass.

Oil level should be between the high and low mark.

#7 ·
and it has to be checked hot. The oil expands when its hot and the level rises accordingly.

a little too high won't automatically hurt an engine, but depending on the crank, crankcase and oil pan design, baffles etc, the crank can spin up the oil into a froth, creating aerated oil. this "whipped crème" is not good.

#8 ·
Make sure the bike is upright - if it is on or slightly below the top line don't worry, if it is slightly above, don't worry - if it is out of sight above the line simply get on your back and drain it for 1second, then recheck, then again if necessary until it is on or below the top line - simples ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.