2006 CBR600 vs 2007 CBR600 at Thunderbolt 4/27 - 600RR.net
Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
2006 CBR600 vs 2007 CBR600 at Thunderbolt 4/27

I took off of work on Monday and headed to Thunderbolt NJMP for the day. I hit the road around 330am and that gets me from Long Island to the track in about 3.5hrs with a stop or two. I have been to this track about 5 times now and it just keeps getting better. I brought along with my my 07 600rr track bike w/two brothers slip on -1 gear in the front and hotbodies plastic. I also brought my street bike, 06 600rr w/ two bro slip on and -1 gear in the front. I have never ridden the track bike before so I was a little nervous running in the advanced group on a new bike.

It was hot! I think it was about 92 degrees throughout the day and Team Promotion was running 2 groups. Advnaced, and intermediate and beginner was together. 20mins on 20 mins off. I was able to get almost 200 miles of track riding on the day! That is an unbelievable amount of riding. I drank about two 32 oz gatorades and and about 10 of the .5L bottles of poland spring and didnt piss once! By the time the day was through I was completely spent.

So i started off riding the 06, which was running mich pilot power street tires. I was running pretty good times consistently around 1:44 a lap but by the third hot lap or so these tires became greasy! I was all over the place! I then decided it was time to try out the track bike.

The 07 is fitted with pirelli corsa III green compounds all around. I wasnt using tire warmers and this was my first time on a race compound tire. This was also my first time riding an 07, and the first time ever riding my bike. The difference between my 06 and 07 is night and day. There is much more midrange pull on my 07, and it is so much more stable the way it tracks and holds lines. Neither bike has any suspension work or any suspension adjustments done on it at all. ( i am still a rookie when it comes to that). I know I am not comparing apples to apples since I have race tires on one bike, but the overall feel of the 07 is incredible. I was consistently running 1:36's with a few laps in the 1:35 range.

Overall I am so pleased with the new track bike and can't wait to get back on the track with it. I plan on heading up to Loudon and getting the race liscense as soon as I can. However, I can't wait to get back to thunderbolt!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 05:32 PM
Knee Dragger

Awesome, sounds like you had a great time with your 2 bikes. Ya, coming from an 02 F4i to my 07 was also night/day, Ill never go back. How much do you weight? I would suggest you get your suspension dialed in and you should be even faster/happier. I weight 180 w/o gear and I just had some preload washers added and basically no front end dive when braking hard. NOW WHERES THE PICS?

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvcruiser View Post
Awesome, sounds like you had a great time with your 2 bikes. Ya, coming from an 02 F4i to my 07 was also night/day, Ill never go back. How much do you weight? I would suggest you get your suspension dialed in and you should be even faster/happier. I weight 180 w/o gear and I just had some preload washers added and basically no front end dive when braking hard. NOW WHERES THE PICS?

I am waiting for team promotion to upload them on their site! They had a photographer there... so its only a matter of time! Ya I def need to dial in the suspension. I am about 175lbs, so we are pretty close in weight. I think I need a new race suit too! Too much pasta in the winter! Hahaa

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 10:18 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Sounds like you had a good time. That type of mileage will definitely kick your butt if you're not used to it.

I'd recommend drinking more though. You should be pissing at least once every hour. When I hit track, if I don't drink enough, I get massive migranes, which pretty much kills my day!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandurin View Post
Sounds like you had a good time. That type of mileage will definitely kick your butt if you're not used to it.

I'd recommend drinking more though. You should be pissing at least once every hour. When I hit track, if I don't drink enough, I get massive migranes, which pretty much kills my day!

Ya by the last session out I was getting leg cramps and hip cramps... it was rough! The woodcraft rear sets def were tough on the knees compared to the stock position and I am 28 years old haha. As soon as I came off the track I pulled off the suit (which was a workout on its own) drank some fluids... put some gas in the tank, looked at lap times and by then it was first call! I run 3-4 miles a day and work out prob 4-5 days a week and this was a wake up call!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 12:16 AM
Knee Dragger

9 seconds quicker on the 07 is no joke.

I've recently got into the bad habit of tweaking my suspension myself (stock front and rear) and so far I've fixed an issue of the bike wanting to run wide exiting the corner when I am getting on the gas. Fun stuff.

07 600RR
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Here are a couple of pics from the day.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 07:48 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
That black and white one is simply stunning.

Solar White RR6 "Pearl"
R.I.P. PHATTY!
Quote:
Caution: Beware of whores.........
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ofakindRR View Post
That black and white one is simply stunning.
Thanks brotha... that took two seconds on my mac. I was happy with it. Black and white always looks cool haha. I love the vapor trail from the exhaust!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Please feel free to critique my body positioning as well. I still have a long way to go. Looks like I could try to get my head into the turn a little more.

Question how does your track suit fit you guys? Mine is freaking tight. I feel like it makes it harder on me to move where I want to. Harder to get my legs out and it just overall wears me out. Or is it supposed to be super tight?
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 11:53 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
your suit is suppose to be tight to a certain extent suppose to give some resistance but not to wear you out.... your body position is ok but your leaning the bike too much and you not enough gotta get off the bike a little but all in all good shots was that your first track day?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 11:54 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
actually i take it back the first your positon is fine your riding a little high but off the bike fine you need to tuck your head down and get that knee out a little and your good to go!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 01:24 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
sweet pics. you're lucky to have a street and a trackbike to play with.

in the 2nd and 4th pic i can see that theres a gap between the tank and your outside leg. my advice is to keep that outside leg touching the tank; that way it will allow you to hold some of your body weight with the outside leg pinned to the tank.

if you stick your inside knee out a little bit more and move ur butt off the seat just a few more inches, you should be good. that will allow ur knees to drag (if you don't already drag knee).

* * 600RR Ex-Track Junkie * *
Current bike - Yamaha Liquid Silver R1

- Competition Breeds Excellence -
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TribalCBR06 View Post
sweet pics. you're lucky to have a street and a trackbike to play with.

in the 2nd and 4th pic i can see that theres a gap between the tank and your outside leg. my advice is to keep that outside leg touching the tank; that way it will allow you to hold some of your body weight with the outside leg pinned to the tank.

if you stick your inside knee out a little bit more and move ur butt off the seat just a few more inches, you should be good. that will allow ur knees to drag (if you don't already drag knee).
That was my 6th track day. I started in the beginner course and worked my way up to advanced. That was my first time on the white bike with race tires and rear sets. I found that with the rear sets I didn't drag knee as much as on stock sets. I honestly think my suit is too tight at this point. I am about 10lbs heavier than I was last year and I thought the suit was tight then. Too much lifting and pasta! I plan on going to NH the end of May to get my race license and see what I can do. I am going to take these pointers with me next time to the track and see if I can implement them. Thanks for the help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by samion33s View Post
your suit is suppose to be tight to a certain extent suppose to give some resistance but not to wear you out.... your body position is ok but your leaning the bike too much and you not enough gotta get off the bike a little but all in all good shots was that your first track day?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page