Do I need to register my track bike with the DMV in CA? - 600RR.net
Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 12:49 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Do I need to register my track bike with the DMV in CA?

If I buy a 49-state bike that I would not be able to register in CA, can I still take it to the track, or do track sponsors check for registration? I've searched but could not find the answer in any earlier threads. Thanks all,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 04:46 AM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
No, you can run almost any type/kind of bike on the track, no title, no reg., no insurance. Most td providers check for function, and certain tracks noise restrictions.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvcruiser View Post
No, you can run almost any type/kind of bike on the track, no title, no reg., no insurance. Most td providers check for function, and certain tracks noise restrictions.
YES! :-) Thanks bro,

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 07:54 PM
Knee Dragger

Brian, you are right about them not checking. BUT (there is always a BUT)

By law yes you do need to register it. If you read the DMV rules correctly, you can not even transport an unregistred "track bike" in the back of a pick up or even in a enclosed trailor.

Do a lot of people have unregistered track bikes yes. Do people get a way with this yes. But is it legal, not really.

BTW Nappypreist, keep in mind once you have 7500 miles on the odometer of this 49 state legal bike. You can legally register it in california. Dont ask me what the sense is in what the difference is after 7500 miles, cuz I dont know haha. Just one of california's senseless rules as usual again.

Last edited by ap430; 05-09-2009 at 07:57 PM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 07:57 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I thought you only had to have it registered if you were ever considering making a claim for damages? I didn't know it made any difference if the bike was never going to be used on public roadways...

R.I.P. Chenhan

2008 600RR

2010 ZX-6R
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 11:13 PM
Knee Dragger

I have never heard of anyone getting in trouble by not doing so. But if you are buying a used track bike off some one... You should get it registered under your name and also put it as PNO (planned non operational)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 11:30 PM
Knee Dragger

When you buy the bike from another state and get the title, it should be enough to prove thats its your bike. Registering it as PNO in my opinion is a waste of money, although it may be legally required. Do you register dirt bikes PNO?
BTW I was just in the DMV in CA and point blank asked the guy what it takes to register a bike from out of state and he told me it must have a factory installed charcol cannister, that they would check by the VIN # . I asked about the 7500 mi. rule as I also thought that was the sticking point and he smiled and repeated himself, so I dont really know.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 11:35 PM
Knee Dragger

haha half the douche bags that work in the california DMVs do not know half the rules. Never take there word for it, ask for written proof in whatever the say. :icon_lol:

Here is some more extensive info I found on BARF

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=38206

Anyways you said PNO would be a waste of money? But if you dont do anyhing about it, a few years down the road say you go an sell the bike. Now when the new owner takes it to the DMV or looks up the VIN before buying. You could possibly have racked up back fees/late fees and interest which could amount to 100s if not 1000s of dollars. Its probably better to pay the 17 dollar fee for PNO per year right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvcruiser View Post
When you buy the bike from another state and get the title, it should be enough to prove thats its your bike. Registering it as PNO in my opinion is a waste of money, although it may be legally required. Do you register dirt bikes PNO?
BTW I was just in the DMV in CA and point blank asked the guy what it takes to register a bike from out of state and he told me it must have a factory installed charcol cannister, that they would check by the VIN # . I asked about the 7500 mi. rule as I also thought that was the sticking point and he smiled and repeated himself, so I dont really know.

Last edited by ap430; 05-09-2009 at 11:38 PM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap430 View Post
haha half the douche bags that work in the california DMVs do not know half the rules. Never take there word for it, ask for written proof in whatever the say. :icon_lol:

Here is some more extensive info I found on BARF

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=38206

Anyways you said PNO would be a waste of money? But if you dont do anyhing about it, a few years down the road say you go an sell the bike. Now when the new owner takes it to the DMV or looks up the VIN before buying. You could possibly have racked up back fees/late fees and interest which could amount to 100s if not 1000s of dollars. Its probably better to pay the 17 dollar fee for PNO per year right?
Wow, now that's killer inside info! Thanks Bro!!!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 06:18 AM
Knee Dragger

I see what your saying Amit, but if the title is in another state for all those years and not registered there not here in good ol CA. I wouldnt think that they would want you to pay the late fees in CA for another state. Although this is CA

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 06:19 PM
Knee Dragger

Why should I pay $500.00 to the state of NY in taxes on a bike that will never see the street? They get enough of my money!!!!! Hahaaa! On every sale, over and over again they collect sales tax. It's a scam I tell you. Who's in on a tea party!?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 10:40 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap430 View Post
If it's a 100% track bike, whoever buys it a few years later will probably buy it with intentions of using it as their track bike.

I don't even have the title for my track bike, all I have is the certificate of origin... and it isn't even in my name. :icon_lol:
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakath View Post
If it's a 100% track bike, whoever buys it a few years later will probably buy it with intentions of using it as their track bike.

I don't even have the title for my track bike, all I have is the certificate of origin... and it isn't even in my name. :icon_lol:
You know, that's probably very true - I don't see anyone taking a bike from track ready back to street legal. Although with all the young kids nowadays wanting to get inot the sport, you never know what will come knocking on your door! :icon_lol:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page