Never been question - 600RR.net
Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Never been question

I would like to do a trackday and have the gear, tires, money to do it. The only thing I do not have is a track next door so I'd have to travel a few miles (Summit Point, WV or VIR, Danville VA) to get there.

My question is: Does anyone ride their bike to the track with a car following with supplies, or should I try to find a trailor to haul it there? What if I don't have anyone there with me? Is it stupid to go by yourself? Can I bring 'spectators'? Do they pay to get in like at real races?

Sorry for all the questions...never been and really want to experience it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 01:04 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacketlm View Post
I would like to do a trackday and have the gear, tires, money to do it. The only thing I do not have is a track next door so I'd have to travel a few miles (Summit Point, WV or VIR, Danville VA) to get there.

My question is: Does anyone ride their bike to the track with a car following with supplies, or should I try to find a trailor to haul it there? What if I don't have anyone there with me? Is it stupid to go by yourself? Can I bring 'spectators'? Do they pay to get in like at real races?

Sorry for all the questions...never been and really want to experience it.
Some people ride their bikes, but I wouldn't advise it. What happens if you go down? How do you get your bike home? What about a mechanical problem? You still can't get it home. One solution is to rent a trailer from Uhaul. A second is to rent a cargo van. They run about 50 a day with mileage, and you can load your bike in the back. Try Enterprise.

Spectators are allowed and encouraged. They generally pay a track admission fee (so will you) of about 5 dollars. That covers you the whole weekend. It is always nice to have someone there with you. They can help with the pit, run a stop watch for you, help you put your bike on the stands, and keep your insurance information handy just in case. If you don't have anyone to go with you, you can always find people on here that are going to trackdays. They are almost always willing to lend you a hand.

Alternatively, you can use a track day organization with an orientation program. NESBA has one, gottrack.net has one, and a lot of others. These programs will teach you how to ride on a track, and the pace isn't so frantic that you are going to lose the bike (well...usually).

It isn't stupid to go by yourself. If you are sociable and a nice guy, there will be plenty of people at the track to hang out with between sessions. They are also great sources of information.

The hardest part about track riding is getting the balls to do your first one. A lot of people wait years to try the track, only to discover what they have been missing. You already have the desire. Make it a reality and you will never look back.

Good luck!

www.LMGTFY.com --> give it a try before you ask

Thanks for driving that hybrid...and saving all the gas for me!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 01:29 PM
TTD
Official Sponsor

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
We run in NJ, but this video shows you what we do for "new" riders.

http://www.tonystrackdays.com/catego...h-trackday.htm

Riding your bike with a tow vehicle is better than nothing. At least you still have a way home if things go south with the bike.

Ideally, teaming up with someone else from your area is best. Many trackday org's have a "share a ride" type program.

Good luck getting out there! It's the best thing you can do as far as riding skills.

Tony
Trackdays in New England
www.TonysTrackDays.com

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 11:23 PM
Knee Dragger

Good suggestions by powermoose1 and TTD.

I also had to figure out track transport a few months back.

For my first track day I was going rent the Uhaul bike trailer but Uhaul could not get the wiring for the trailer lighting figured out for my car so I had to move on to plan B: ride the bike to the track.

The track is pretty close and my friend followed in a truck with the gear, so it was doable but not something I'm likely to repeat for a number of reasons. If the bike is damaged such that you can't ride it, you are stuck. If you go it solo you can't really carry tools, drinks, food, etc that you might want\need to make the day more enjoyable. And you tend to get a bit fatigued after the full day so riding back home afterwards could be less than ideal.

So .. for TD II I rented the Enterprise cargo van and used a home built plywood platform with the Pitbull trailer restraint and some bike ramps for loading. Worked brilliantly. The bike and you are protected from the elements, there's more than enough room for the bike + gear and you can crash in the back between sessions if you so choose.

I've gone to events run by NESBA and STT and both are great for beginners.

Cheers
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 11:26 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

people have rode to a track plenty of times but for your first your going to want to tow it! it really wears you out and the last thing you want to do is spend 2 hours or more riding home on basically what i would call a 2x4 these 600's are not the most comfortable things plus what if you wreck...

And i dont know if anyone has told you that track days can be addicting and once your hooked you dont find the enjoyment of going for a leisure cruise all that fun! trust me i dont even ride to work anymore its just not appealing like it used to be ...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 08:02 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I always trailer my stuff, never want to risk having to figure out how to get my stuff home if I went down :(

"at 8k i often get the tire to slip a bit(kinda like stoner in motogp) when i start to get on the throttle"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page