June 15 and 16 - Thunderbolt (NJ) - 600RR.net
Trackdays Privateers and Professionals

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
TTD
Official Sponsor

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
June 15 and 16 - Thunderbolt (NJ)

Just a "heads up" for anyone still thinking of heading over to Thunderbolt with us on Monday or Tuesday.

I generally am out of email touch from Sunday noon on, so if you have any questions please email me before then.

I keep the homepage of the website current, showing how many spots are left, etc.

Right now, there should be no problem just showing up for Tuesday. Monday is getting pretty full, so check the website before showing up.

But... the big difference is cost.

If it's your first time riding with us and you email me/sign up ahead of time.. you're in at $175. (after I send you the $25 discount code).

If you just show up and pay at the door, you don't get the discount... and you pay the higher price of $240 (must be cash too... we don't process CC in the morning at the event).

Weather is looking pretty good both days, so save yourself the $65 by pre registering BEFORE Sunday. (Once I hit the road, pre reg is closed).

I sent out lots of $25 discount codes for this forum, so we should have a good crowd. Looking forward to meeting you all.

Tony
Trackdays in New England
www.TonysTrackDays.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
TTD
Official Sponsor

Woo Hoo... I'm getting stoked to ride Thunderbolt again!!!

Spent most of the day getting all my stuff together and now the bike and gear is all loaded... ready to roll in the morning.

Hopefully the weather reports hold up.

I don't mind riding in the rain sometimes, but I've already had 2 full days of it this year... I'm hoping for some dry track time to give me a chance to work on a couple of things.

Tony
Trackdays in New England
www.TonysTrackDays.com

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
TTD
Official Sponsor

Just wondering what those of you that attended our event thought?

Did you learn anything?

Did you stay upright?

Get enough tracktime?

Got any suggestions for improving our days?

Tony
Trackdays in New England
www.TonysTrackDays.com

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 06:19 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTD View Post
Just wondering what those of you that attended our event thought?

Did you learn anything?

Did you stay upright?

Get enough tracktime?

Got any suggestions for improving our days?
Hi Tony I was at your event, but then again you saw my report on our forum. :) Overall, I had a great time. My only complaint were people's lines around T10. I complained about it in the riders' meeting and some people changed it up, but most still continued to ride the improper line. Funny how when I bumped up to Advanced everyone was riding the proper line though... :icon_lol:

Here's a video of me from Monday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6-ogY9teJc

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 07:02 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Hey Tony,
I was at the track event and overall ended up having a good time. There was plenty of room on the track, the control riders were extremely friendly and helpful, as was the rest of the staff. It was nice to have Pirelli there, who had no problem jumping in to help out with suspension adjustments as well.
There was however, a misunderstanding of the rules of the track. In every single event I have been to, in the Advance/Expert class you can pass anywhere on the track as long as you do so in a safe manner, by using the 3ft rule. In all of these clubs I have not had an issue, and have never been approached about changing where on the track I pass. After being approached and told if we (myself and my friend) continue to pass in certain spots on the track we would not be allowed to continue our day with no refund. This put a huge damper on our a spirits. However, the passing rules seemed to only be in effect for a select few, because as soon as we went out on the next round, people would try to pass me in the designated (no passing) areas. This was on the first lap not to mention, where all other clubs have a standing yellow flag (no passing). Also, if your a moto gp pro, you can do whatever you want and pass wherever you want (which you should be able to do, because that kid was sick, and I was super impressed following his lines). So we did what was necessary in order to finish our day and not be kicked off the track.
So I'll lay it out for you since you asked. If you want to make it a better track day, remove the restrictions off of the expert class, or don't have that class! Also, there was probably a good 5-6 riders in that grouping who definitley should not have been in that group and made it way more dangerous for everyone else in the class then passing on the inside. So crack down on people who are in groups wayyyy above their riding level. There were countless times where I would come down the straight to see people drifting lines, and looking back. Why would you ever look back!?
I know I will probably catch some slack for this, but I am fine with that. This is nothing personal, and I only posted because you asked for feedback.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 07:20 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SU Laxplaya21 View Post
There were countless times where I would come down the straight to see people drifting lines, and looking back. Why would you ever look back!?
This freaked myself and all the guys that I ride with as well. Tony's was the first organization that we had heard suggest that.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
TTD
Official Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SU Laxplaya21 View Post
I know I will probably catch some slack for this, but I am fine with that. This is nothing personal, and I only posted because you asked for feedback.
Not sure if you meant catch some slack from me or someone else?

If you meant me, that would not happen. I am always looking for feedback and I am grateful to receive it... good or bad.

Having said that, I will say that we do things a little differently than most trackday org's... and we know that we're not the trackday for everyone.

I try hard to keep first timers from being surprised at how we operate, but sometimes riders don't pre register and maybe miss the website warnings.

I'm actually going to make a webpage on our site outlining our rules, the logic behind them, etc.

When complete, I'll put the link up here.

Since you and Cru brought up the "look back" issue though, I'll touch on that now.

Everything we implement is designed to minimize dangerous passes and maximize track time. We encourage people to take an occasional check back on the straights to ensure they don't have a bike or train of bikes that simply can't get by. Usually, this is because the front bike has more power, but is slower in the corners.

So we've found that if the lead bike takes a peek and then lets the riders by on the straight... everyone is happier and the session goes smoother... with no late braking types of passes.

I equate this with the guy driving in the left lane on the highway, with a line of cars stacked up behind him.

If he doesn't move over, all the other drivers are forced to go around. Sit back and watch sometime and you'll see all the unnecessary jockeying that occurs by those drivers having to go around. And when they do get in front of the guy, they often agressively move back into the left lane.

If any rider is unable to take a peek behind them safely once in a while, we simply encourage them to not accelerate full speed on the straight. This allows the smaller horsepower bikes that are faster in the corners to get by easily and safely.

Sit up in the tower sometime and watch a session where people are doing what we suggest. You'll see that the riders on the track stay evenly spaced out, with no bottlenecks or packs of bikes. When there are no packs of bikes, it's very easy to safely pass within our passing rules... and everyone has a good session.

But... you also have to remember that our normal riders are not the super fast and aggressive type.

So when you have a group of like minded riders, all being courteous to each other... you'll find that you get tons of track time and the rules become very easy to live with.

Tony
Trackdays in New England
www.TonysTrackDays.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page