Track or Street Plastics - 600RR.net
Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 02:39 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Track or Street Plastics

I have a perfectly good set of street plastics, but my 600RR is going to be track only from now on. If you were in my shoes, would you:

1. Purchase track fairings and keep the street fairings to put back on the bike when its being sold

2. Purchase track plastics and sell the street plastics now

3. Just race with the street plastics and whatever happens, happens
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 02:46 AM

1. or 2. depending on your situation.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 02:56 AM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
2; you'll have no desire to sell the bike :)

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 03:39 AM
Knee Dragger

If money is not a thing or you have some spare cash. Its better to get track plastics. Things like sharkskinz and armour bodies are more crash worthy VS OEM plastics. Having to replace OEM plastics would definitly cost more.

You can try to find some used sharkskinz for a great price. Or if you want you can get some armour bodies for around 600 bucks or so. I was able to find a used set off sharkskinz that where never even crashed before from a member here for a great price.

3. If you plan to race, most racing organizations have rules on what kind of pastics you can use. Most I know for sure would not allow OEM plastics. You have to have headlights removed and a belly pan.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 08:48 AM
Knee Dragger

Another vote for 1 or 2.

I'm in the same boat. I bought the Armour Bodies kit (definitely recommended btw) and, although I might sell the stock plastics eventually, I love the way the bike looks in street trim. Who knows, I might want to ride again on the street at some point, so I am keeping the stock stuff for now.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 10:14 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by djquick0 View Post
1. or 2. depending on your situation.
+1:all_cohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madboosties View Post
2; you'll have no desire to sell the bike :)
you sure will if you're racing. since honda will only pay contingency for 2yrs.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 10:00 AM
TTD
Official Sponsor

Option 1 would be my choice ... if you are someone that takes good care of your bike.

Getting track plastics on now (and I would also suggest rearsets and clip ons) will make trackdays easier... especially if you have a get off.

If you take good care of the bike otherwise, you can put the stock plastics back on and probably sell the whole bike for decent money.

What doesn't work is when you see a crapped out bike with brandy new plastics.

:icon_lol:

Tony
Trackdays in New England
www.TonysTrackDays.com

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 02:15 PM
Knee Dragger

Take off OEM plastics, Put on track plastics,add Aftermarket rearsets,add Steering stablizer, and new case covers and thats at the very least. Getting those now will keep you from having headacts later on. Find one track day rider or racer that has never crashed.

R.I.P. Hela

"I don't fail, I succeed at finding ways that don't work."
Christopher Titus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyck View Post
GET LOST YOU KAWI [email protected]^&[email protected]*^ :icon_lol:
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 09:05 AM
Training Wheel Hero

I'll give strong votes for 1 or 2 as well.

Street plastics won't survive anything but the gentlest lowside, and even then, their resale value will plummet. How long do you plan on keeping the RR? I've crashed race plastics twice. Once at pretty high speeds. the only damage was from where the foot peg smashed through part of the tail section, after the rearset had snapped off at the bolts. and i've SEEN a ton of crashes on track bodywork. it's more durable, and more repairable than stock ABS by a billion percent.

If you can afford to keep the street plastics, I would do so. it's much easier (and more profitable) to sell a street-legal bike. The market is just far larger, and the consumers aren't nearly as well educated, so they're more likely to pay you more than its worth.

Last edited by rk97; 06-24-2009 at 09:08 AM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 01:05 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Well it seems like you can sell a set of factory plastics for more than a set of race plastics which are better aerodynamically, usually make maintenance easier and you dont have huge gaps or have to tape over the headlights every time, and of course all the weight lost.

As far as the bike goes, write off the money like a 9K vacation, seriously - money gone.

If at some point you get tired of it or want to take it back to street riding ect than it's like getting free money back, but don't count on it from the upstart - race bikes are like any mechanical components, wear items.

Sticking some first time buyer with some clapped out POS race bike that has been converted back to streetable should automatically cause the seller to die in hell forever anyway.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 03:31 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy View Post
Well it seems like you can sell a set of factory plastics for more than a set of race plastics which are better aerodynamically, usually make maintenance easier and you dont have huge gaps or have to tape over the headlights every time, and of course all the weight lost.

As far as the bike goes, write off the money like a 9K vacation, seriously - money gone.

If at some point you get tired of it or want to take it back to street riding ect than it's like getting free money back, but don't count on it from the upstart - race bikes are like any mechanical components, wear items.

Sticking some first time buyer with some clapped out POS race bike that has been converted back to streetable should automatically cause the seller to die in hell forever anyway.
LOL. looks like i'll be going to hell:all_cohol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page