Almost made a HUGE mistake. - 600RR.net
Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Almost made a HUGE mistake.

I picked up a used 07 rr at the beginning of last year. It was supposed to be a back up to my track bike (CBR929) and I was planning on using it to commute every once in a while.

I took it to the track a few times but then I switched over to the 929. I went on a few weekend rides with the 600 but after track days my interest in street riding just wasn't there.

Over the winter I had my suspension freshened up on the 929 and was all geared up for the 09 track day season. I put the 600 up for sale because it was mostly stock and I figured I would just pick up a track bike once it sold (This would have been my HUGE mistake if I had sold it). After getting a few calls on the bike and 2 deals falling through I decided to just spend some money on the suspension and turn it into a track bike.

The rear shock was replaced with an ohlins unit and the forks were redone with AK20's. Vortex rearsets and some Pirelli Supercorsa pros and it was ready for the track.

Up to that point I was a new Intermediate rider and was about mid pack with the different groups I ride with. The first day I rode the 600 with the new bits it was like night and day compared to the 929. I've always been one to say that the rider is the most important factor when riding but I was 4 seconds faster on the 600 than I was on the 929. Everything was super easy to do and the bike never seemed to make a fuss.

The people I had been riding with noticed the increase in speed right away and I moved to the fast end of the I group. The next track day I was bumped to the advanced group with Cornerspeed and then the advanced group with TPM. I had an issue with T1 at VIR which rashed the stock body work so I picked up some Sharkskinz. I also had to send my forks back out because I had messed up a seal so I went back to riding the 929 for the next event.

The time spent on the 600 made me quicker on the 929 so it was a good day even though I was on the older bike. Felt comfortable on the bike all day but in the second to last session the motor had an issue so my day ended a bit short.

The 600 was back up and ready to go so I went to VIR and rode with NESBA on the South and North course. Great 2 days and while I still have plenty of speed to pick up I was bumped up to advanced at the end of the second day. All the groups I ride with have some super fast guys in the advanced class but I think NESBA has one of the faster Intermediate groups overall.

I'm so impressed with the 600rr that I'm just glad it all worked out and I kept it. Awesome bike at a track day and while it gives up a little on the straight to the 750's and liters it makes up for it with how easy it is to ride through and out of the corners.

If you own a 600rr you owe to yourself to get that thing out to a track day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 02:35 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Right on. My friend had a 954 and I was on my 600rr. We switched bikes for a short ride and I thought the 954 felt like crap. My friend ended up buying a 600rr after riding mine and selling his 954.

Ride hard today, Ride harder tomorrow,!
Walk close to Christ today, Walk closer tomorrow

How to fix headlights... Dreamzboy's excellent write-up
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=138034
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 02:58 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Amen.......

I am from CANADA, the land of poutine, back-bacon and GOOD BEER!!
2012 STREET BIKE OF THE YEAR

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 12:56 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
ive really been waiting to take my bike to a track day, I just cant ever seem to wrap my mind around the prep and all the cost, one day i will it really does look like an amazing time...

Four Wheels Move The Body. Two Wheels Move The Soul.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 01:31 PM
T BOTM Winner 11 / 11

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
You can definitely drop a pretty penny on track riding, but it's worth it. Almost gauranteed that if you go to the track once you will be hooked. You don't have to worry about the dreaded soccer mom on the phone while bitching at her kids, drinking a frappacino, and eating a bagel getting over on you. It is alot safer as well as you can learn alot about your bike in a controlled atmosphere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page