Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 04:51 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Arrow Drag strip 1/4 mile prep?

hI guys,

Whom has done the 1/4 drags? what prep did you do to the bike? Tyre pressures? Idle the bike at what RPM before dropping the clutch? Suspension? Burnouts to warm the tyres? Tips?

As im looking to doing this in the next week or 2, as in Australia/Sydney $50 for 3 runs. and thus i wanted to get some times done before doing my suspension and seeing if any differances etc when getting my forks/shock replaced with my ohlins.

And its a good time to get some speeding done legally and all :)

PLus i was planning on racing my flatmate with his 954 Honda, Whom shall win his stock 954 vs my moded 600...close battle, im hoping. And I must remember to not fill the fuel tank and unload all the crap under my pillion seat...lol to make the best of it all.

So if anyone has some tips and all let me know, i have read about some ppl mentioning strapping down the front? that i have no clue?

And ppls times? R/T, 1/4 etc

Cheers

Ohlins- Fork Springs, Shock, S.D, UES Kit 20mm, PCIII, Velocity Stack mod, RS-5 C.F Yoshi, Dynoed, K&N Air Filter, Cox Radiator Guard, Powers Race Railz mod, MOTY Battery, Pazzo Levers, Harris Grips, Stomp Grips, Ram mounting, Custom Fairings, Custom led gauges, C.F -Hugger-Sprocket cover,Exhaust,Heel, Chain, Engine,& clutch guards. Trippage led pegs, 520 Conv, -1 +2 Superlight Sprocket, Comp werkes FE, Dunlop Q2's, EBC Kevlar Heavy Duty Clutch/Springs, Vesrah RJL Pads,Braided brake lines
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 05:11 AM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
$50 for three runs! WOW! We pay $15 to race all night around here.

Anywho, don't worry about pointers to make you go faster on your first night at the drag strip. If you think too much about it, you're not going to be concentrating on what's going on and you're just going to foul yourself. Go out and watch some guys before you try it yourself. Watch how they position their bodies, watch what they do with their feet, listen to their engine to see how much they drag their clutch and what kind of revs they're leavin at the line.

Talk to some of them at the strip, you'll probably notice some guys with number plates on their bikes with times on the number plates... talk to them, they're bracket racers that most likely know a lot about what they're doing out there.

Most of all, don't go out there to beat someone, go out there to have fun.

Oh, and strapping...they make special strapping kits that restrict the travel of your suspension...this keeps the forks from topping out while you're leaving the line and helps make it less likely to bring up the front wheel off the line. Not something you should really worry about on your first trip to the dragstrip either.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 05:16 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Cheers, yeah its all good fun, nothing too serious, but then again i have heard the strip is like Heroin, once your hooked your in for the long haul..

Ohlins- Fork Springs, Shock, S.D, UES Kit 20mm, PCIII, Velocity Stack mod, RS-5 C.F Yoshi, Dynoed, K&N Air Filter, Cox Radiator Guard, Powers Race Railz mod, MOTY Battery, Pazzo Levers, Harris Grips, Stomp Grips, Ram mounting, Custom Fairings, Custom led gauges, C.F -Hugger-Sprocket cover,Exhaust,Heel, Chain, Engine,& clutch guards. Trippage led pegs, 520 Conv, -1 +2 Superlight Sprocket, Comp werkes FE, Dunlop Q2's, EBC Kevlar Heavy Duty Clutch/Springs, Vesrah RJL Pads,Braided brake lines

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 05:18 AM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Depends on the person. I've been out there more times than I can count, but I'm still not hooked to the point where I'd ever want to stretch and slam my bike. I have a lot more fun in the canyon carving than I do in a straight line...but it's nice to get out and rip it up in a straight line once in a while
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 07:09 AM
Training Wheel Hero

I started bracket racing halfway through this season and will be running in points chase next season. As was mentioned you really don't want to mess with the bike the first time out, you have to many other things to deal with learning. Do not waste time doing a burnout, if the track has a prepped launch surfaced there is no chance you're going to break the tire loose. Preferred launch rpm is 10,000 but you can start much lower like 6- 8000 and save your clutch until you are more comfortable launching. Get your wieght as far forward as possible and just have a good time.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 10:53 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
regulasr tire pressure.. rev to 9000 and slip the clutch (don't drop it or yiou will loop it), move as much of your body weight to the front as possible when starting,,, clutchless shift after second gear, remove your mirrors..

if you are good you have a great chance of beating the 954. (it is all about getting a good 60ft time which unfortunately isn't that great for your clutch)

My best time is 11.1 at 132mph

I am from CANADA, the land of poutine, back-bacon and GOOD BEER!!
2012 STREET BIKE OF THE YEAR
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 05:24 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Live update I ran for the first time a 11.8 I freaked out at the line as my oil light stayed on and I'm like no... Let's see run 2

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 05:43 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

2nd time round 11.6.. Bit better I want 11 next. The rear is spinning like no tomorrow and I need to chAnge before rev limiter light comes on I'm thinking

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

3rd time better reaction time .321 best for me but time 12.1 I tried changing earlier but I think my clutch died. I was doing clutchless all 3 times and now it slips when I rev past 6k it revs up and comes back down and engages drive.

Will my clutch go bBack to normal with 12hrs of rest? Is it slipping cause it was too hot? And revving to the max? Now I'm worried it's dead...

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 07:54 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Your clutch is wet, it's damn near impossible to cook it like older dry clutches. If it's slipping it is either a dead or you need to adjust you clutch cable. As far as shift rpm, i've noticed no difference in e.t. shifting anywhere between 14.5 and 15000, so there is no need to hammer the rev limiter, unless you want to use the limiter as a quickshifter instead of rolling off the throttle.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

whats a dead clutch? does it require just changing of the springs? and or clutch plates?

As this is my other thread now in regard to my clutch not working as it should.

https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=161503

Last edited by kidnplay01; 11-11-2009 at 08:22 PM.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Some pics to boot..at least i didnt hammer it like the gixxer did...lol

BTW I didnt plan on racing when i turned up, as i just turned up to spectate, but when they said you want to race, i thought stuff it i may as well, only $20 extr compared to entry fee, so dont flame me about my casual street clothes.

Gixer with not so clean pants at the end im assuming..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page