Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Ed Bargy School!

Folks,

I took the Bargy school at Jennings yesterday. It freaking rocked! It was by far the best school I have ever attended. If you have never gone to a typical school, it works like this. A guy comes in, sits you down, and says, "OK, I'm really fast. You're not. First, let me tell you some tales of my fabulous career as a racer. Then, we'll go ride. Kinda try to do what I do. Of course, you won't be able to, because I'm fast, and you're not."

Bargy was totally different. He spent most of the day talking about the physics behind riding, cornering, and braking. He covered these areas in extremely fine detail. He also talked a lot about how to tell when you are approaching the "edge." It was very illuminating, and a lot of fun. His instructors were friendly and extremely helpful. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Here are the three coolest things I learned in the school:

1. Adjust your line mid-corner with the throttle instead of steering. Steering inputs cause the front contact patch to wiggle, which uses up traction.

2. At the end of a long straightaway your front tire has cooled off significantly, so you have brake progressively, both to shift weight and to reheat the front tire.

3. The bike will try to stand up out of the turn when you are trail-braking. This is actually good, because when the bike stops trying to stand up, it means the front tire is starting to slip, so you need to ease off the brakes. (Note: This is entirely theoretical in my case. I'm too chicken to play around with this too much. Maybe next time.)

4. I brake like a girl. (Note: The instructors didn't actually say, "go bake me some cookies, Nancy," but I could tell they were thinking it.)

OK, that was four things. It was cool. You oughta do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 01:34 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
Folks,

I took the Bargy school at Jennings yesterday. It freaking rocked! It was by far the best school I have ever attended. If you have never gone to a typical school, it works like this. A guy comes in, sits you down, and says, "OK, I'm really fast. You're not. First, let me tell you some tales of my fabulous career as a racer. Then, we'll go ride. Kinda try to do what I do. Of course, you won't be able to, because I'm fast, and you're not."
So just what schools should we avoid, in your opinion? Tdub

SAY WHAT!!!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 06:04 AM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Im pretty excited to attend their last school of the year at Jennings. I hope I have as good of an experience as you!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Here's something else I remembered as I was reviewing my notes. He said you should be upshifting out of a turn approximately when you reach the outside edge of the track on the far side of the turn. He said if you are doing it later than that, you are giving yourself a false sense of security because you are able to roll on lots of throttle coming out of the turn since your bike is not in the power band. Someday you will break the rear end loose coming out of a turn and your rear tire will immediately try to match your throttle setting. If you are the correct gear, the wheel will spin a little bit. If you are in too high of a gear, the tire will immediately go to your artificially high throttle setting. Ouch.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 11:09 AM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Good info...I have been thinking of doing one of his classes. Thanks for posting

Mike

06 600rr digital silver metallic....Sold! 10/09
09 Repsol or Silver/black...Sharkskins race fairings
-Arrow full to Scorpion , Goodridge lines, Vesrah pads, GPR, 45 rear renthal, Carrozzeria V-stars, etc....
07 GSXR 750...race bike. Yoshi full, Bazzaz Zfi Tc, etc...
CCS/WERA #18 AM/NV
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 01:56 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
4. I brake like a girl. (Note: The instructors didn't actually say, "go bake me some cookies, Nancy," but I could tell they were thinking it.)
Good writeup.

And that...was funny!!

[COLOR=#000000 ! important][COLOR=#000000 ! important][COLOR=#000000 ! important]Languages[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000 ! important][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000 ! important]it>en [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000 ! important]Yahoo[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000 ! important]C[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000 ! important]E[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000 ! important][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000 ! important] OK, that was four things. It was cool. You oughta I give it.[/COLOR]
[/COLOR]

‎"Any man who may be asked in this century, what he did to make his life worthwhile, can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy." -JFK

----
"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

--
SuperMoto ------------------- SuperSport

Does it get any better? Probably not.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 11:42 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I've seen some girls brake pretty good, right after they passed me

Nothing like seeing a pony tail pulling away from you

Let the smart-ass remarks begin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page