getting ready...Advice needed - 600RR.net
Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Get Jiggy with it

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
getting ready...Advice needed

I'm starting to get my 05RR converted for trackdays and was wondering what you guys that have been doing this for a while could recommend as "top of the list" things from trial & error

I got Race plastics on the way, and Tires are not an issue since I think my neighbor still has a hook up for take offs.

My main concern to start with is the Steering stabilizer, is this something you would "definitely" get first ?? I personally think the CBR does very well without one but i still would like to have one on the bike for trackdays.
Other than that I would like to get better braking and eventually spring for an Ohlins shock but I have seen where people have installed a 1000RR rear shock from i believe the 06-07 models.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 10:09 PM

Feedback Score: 91 reviews
Make sure you get a good nights rest and pay attention. Don't think about the mods, think about keeping it on the pavement and out of the dirt. You will have so much going through your mind at the session time you won't have to worry about a steering damper... Make sure your suspension is adjusted to your weight. Hold off on all the extras till you get a couple days under your belt.. The addiction will come and your wallet won't be able to keep up with the mods you want. Just my .02 you will learn more at one track day than a year of riding on the street. T

http://tripageled.com/store/
Owner
Tristan Page
[email protected]
[email protected]
Dual low / Dual High beam led headlights. OEM appearance
http://tripageled.com/store/index.ph...product_id=236
Integrated Gear Indicator installed inside your cluster
http://tripageled.com/store/index.ph...product_id=116
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 12:13 AM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
dont rush to be the first one on the track.... these guys are usually tired by 1 or crashed before noon........ just have fun

you can't buy happiness but having a racebike is close enough!!!

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 12:41 AM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackfreak View Post
dont rush to be the first one on the track.... these guys are usually tired by 1 or crashed before noon........ just have fun
as you can tell i got hot headed cuz the bike kept dropping the map and fuel would cut off ... so i put the map back in it and went out pissed and boom im out with 2200 in repairs....

you can't buy happiness but having a racebike is close enough!!!
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 01:04 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hey spanks, what's happinin...

Look dude, your three biggest go fast mods are suspension, track time, and school. Forget the damper, forget an exhaust, forget all that crap. money down the shitter. i don't use a stabilizer. i've got absolutely no need for one. yet. you'll know when you need one, and i suggest taking some time to read and learn the dynamics of head shake (especially about rider induced headshake) before you lump down money on some 3# piece of aluminum when you could just ride like you're supposed to instead.

If you're going to invest in anything, invest in suspension. suspension suspension suspension. front and rear, revalve, penske/ohlins/elka... the stock shocks on the 600rr and 1000rr are garbage. toss em. don't even think about swapping it. a two way penske will be heads and shoulders above a stock 600/1000rr Showa, believe it. front. springs and a revalve. if you want to dump money into it, go Penske Gas Cartridges. or ohlins. whatever. doesn't matter. both better than what you're usin now.

next mod.

Fuel Controller. RR's run lean to hack emissions testing. running lean will destroy your valves, putting everyone else on track at risk. balance it out. PCIII or Bazzaz. 13.2:1

ok next mod.

SPARES.

ok next mod.

INSURANCE.

ok next mod?

Brakes. stock rotors are good. calipers are two piece. i've been told they jitter a little. donno what they're talking about. apparently mono-blocks solve this. no thanks, i like my calipers. race pads though. Carbone Lorraine C55 / Vesrah good pads. lots of bite, predictable. Lines. steel braided. all the same. Russell made mine, got the from DK on clearance. not the most gorgeous things on the planet, but i'm not admiring my brake lines while braking for T1... they are functional that's all that matters. Fluid. Refresh often. Maintenance: DO IT. clean and rebuild often.

See anything on there for bling?

V
V
V
V

ccs907

Last edited by ccs907; 12-24-2009 at 01:10 AM.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 02:33 AM
Post Whore Extraordinaire

Feedback Score: 16 reviews
I say get the damper. Its cheap insurance. If he alters geometry, be from the tires he uses or his weight and loading of the suspension, he may be the one to induce a headshake.

What works for one rider may not work for all. Be prepared to buy rearsets when you start dragging pegs/toes.

Otherwise, at a minimum, have your sag set, and if you get the bug hard, do suspension asap. Its currently the last thing I'm doing, and in hindsight, shouldve been 1st, but hey, I started modding waaaaay before I hit the track.

A good map will help with smooth throttle inputs and get ride of some of the jerkiness that's there without the pc3

Other than that, these guys got it man, go get you some.
Oh, mawfuka, all these years and you're just making it to the track, you slacker. Lol. Better late than never tho.

I'm doing cornerspeed in march, you should come join me if you get a couple days under your belt before then. That way you won't have to un-learn bad habits like I've been having to do.

No more mod listing, shits is STILL too long

03 600RR > 04 1000RR > 06 R6V > 05 600RR > 06 R1 > 09 1000RR > 10 RSV4R :gun:
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 02:37 AM

Oh, and forget about putting on a 1000 rear shock, waste of time, if you're gonna swap it, go aftermarket. Penske is doing a sale, but, I'd hold off and make sure you're gonna get hooked 1st.

Oh, upgraded brake pads and lines are a must. Trust me. Lol.
I like vesrah rjl and sbs dual carbon pads. The later is very progressive, the former progressive too, but with a harder initial bite.

post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 09:03 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
What part of TN are you in? I'm over in the Knoxville area (Maryville) and have been doing trackdays since 2005. My experience is that if you are running stock suspension, try at least to get it dialed in for you sag settings. DOCUMENT every little change that you make, so that you can go back to the beginning if necessary. Start making yourself a trackday checkoff list of things to take. I can email you a copy of mine if you like......it will give you an idea of where to start and can be modified to suit you own use.

After you find out for sure that you are going to continue with trackdays (I don't know anyone that has tried them and decided not to do them anymore), your best bang for the buck is getting the suspension sorted out. Many times you will have to go with an aftermarket product, as mentioned in the previous posts. Ask around and see what make and model tires that a lot of the guys are running. You will get a lot of different answers......find out what works for you. My wife is a fast intermediate and is still running the Michelin Pilot Powers on her trackbike.

Whatever group that you ride with, don't be afraid to ask for help from the Track coaches or the Control Riders. I've never met even one of them that wasn't really anxious to help someone that needed or wanted help........but keep in mind, they aren't mind readers and cannot know that you want help unless you ask them. When I first started doing trackdays, I had on Control Rider helping me on almost every session of the day. I kept asking questions and he kept helping me.

Don't get too anxious to get to a bigger bike. You have plenty to learn on a 600RR and will actually enjoy yourself more on it than you would on a bigger bike.

Hope this helps and holler at me if you would like a copy of the trackday checklist that I have made for myself.

Vern....STT Southern Region Instructor

If it ain't fast........It ain't fun!!

2014 Yamaha FZ09 highly modded
2008 GSX-R 750..... Track Bike
2008 ST1300
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 09:08 AM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Stompgrips. Not sure if the 05 has a radial master cylinder or not, but they are night and day different. If not, that would be my next mod. Then suspension.

Duct tape
Zip Ties
2nd Job...

www.LMGTFY.com --> give it a try before you ask

Thanks for driving that hybrid...and saving all the gas for me!
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 12:44 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
What part of TN are you in? I'm over in the Knoxville area (Maryville) and have been doing trackdays since 2005. My experience is that if you are running stock suspension, try at least to get it dialed in for you sag settings. DOCUMENT every little change that you make, so that you can go back to the beginning if necessary. Start making yourself a trackday checkoff list of things to take. I can email you a copy of mine if you like......it will give you an idea of where to start and can be modified to suit you own use.

After you find out for sure that you are going to continue with trackdays (I don't know anyone that has tried them and decided not to do them anymore), your best bang for the buck is getting the suspension sorted out. Many times you will have to go with an aftermarket product, as mentioned in the previous posts. Ask around and see what make and model tires that a lot of the guys are running. You will get a lot of different answers......find out what works for you. My wife is a fast intermediate and is still running the Michelin Pilot Powers on her trackbike.

Whatever group that you ride with, don't be afraid to ask for help from the Track coaches or the Control Riders. I've never met even one of them that wasn't really anxious to help someone that needed or wanted help........but keep in mind, they aren't mind readers and cannot know that you want help unless you ask them. When I first started doing trackdays, I had on Control Rider helping me on almost every session of the day. I kept asking questions and he kept helping me.

Don't get too anxious to get to a bigger bike. You have plenty to learn on a 600RR and will actually enjoy yourself more on it than you would on a bigger bike.

Hope this helps and holler at me if you would like a copy of the trackday checklist that I have made for myself.
Im in Maryville too man. Shoot me a copy of your list as Im about to start getting stuff ready for tracking my bike also. Where do you go? I was looking into stuff at Nashville, Barber, Road ATL, VIR, etc. Not tryin to hijack...sorry. To the OP and Xrated though, we should try to get together on a couple of track days though....
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 12:48 PM
BOTM Winner 07/14

Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Whatever you decide to do for mods, shop around. There are a lot of good race bits on the boards. You don't need brand new if you can get quality used stuff. I bought my Ohlins shock used and then had it serviced for less than half of new. And I still use OEM valving in my forks but spent about $100 bucks for the correct springs for my weight and service the forks beginning of each season. As others have mentioned you don't need a lot of things to make your bike track worthy. Keep the changes to a minimum to reduce risk of failure and less on your mind wondering if everything is ok when you should be concentrating on the track. Make sure the equipment you have is well serviced and in tip top shape. Good/new brake pads and freshly blead lines with new fluid go a long way toward reliable stopping power. Then make sure your safety equip is comfortable and crash worthy. The less you have to worry about before hitting the track the more confidence you will have which is half the battle. Preparation is the key. Don't be one of "those guys" who is rushing to unload your bike and still working on things in the paddock. Come to the track ready to ride.

Vortex, Tucker Rocky, Speed & Strength, BikeMaster, E4S
Cafe Racer Inc.
Tornado Bait Racing
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 12:58 PM
Training Wheel Hero

I'm sure the 05's didn't had the radial MC, but they do have radial calipers.
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 01:11 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
^ Correct.

i've never used a radial M/C or Monoblock calipers so i can't really comment on their effectiveness or worth.

ccs907
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 01:47 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Hey Lean.In............send me a PM with your email address and I'll shoot you an email with an attachment of the Trackday Checklist. It is a Word document so it should be easy to open for you. My wife and I do a lot of trackdays at Nashville and Tally. We've also been to Barber, Road Atlanta, Putnam, and when we lived in the St. Louis area, we did Gateway, which is a sister track to Nashville. We are also looking forwar to doing the new one in KY when/if it opens in 2010.....Bluegrass.

Tornado Bait...........I agree with you 100%........I try to have the bikes (mine and my wife's) totally ready to go when I pull up at the track. I hate working on a bike at the track........other than putting on a set of fresh tires already mounted and balanced on spare wheels.

2008 ST1300

Last edited by xrated; 12-24-2009 at 02:07 PM.
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 01:53 PM
07 TRACK SLAG!

i would say nothing but race plastics to start with, go out have fun. learn the track, when you start feeling comfortable the bike will tell you what needs improving.

have fun and be calm is key.

after that.
damper, rear shock, fork revalve
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Get Jiggy with it

wow...you guys all have great advice... Just to clear a few things up...I am not looking for a ton of mods to load on the bike, I guess i should have maybe been a little more clear.. I was wanting more like what xrated posted (i.e. track checklist) as for actual mods..right now all I really was concerned about was the steering damper, but judging by what most of you sdaid, thats not a big deal, & i didn't think it was on this bike, but i wanted to be sure... The PCIII will eventually be bought somewhere down the road, but i have always been a firm believer that suspension should always come first. To all that asked, my bike has the sag set for me , but i will redo it all over again once the new plastics are on.

I would love to see all your "trackday checklists" if you don't mind sending them... my e-mail is [email protected]

post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 11:46 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
i don't really have a 'Check List'

i just bring everything i have.

ccs907
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 07:58 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by powermoose1 View Post
Stompgrips. 2nd Job...
These two.
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 10:48 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
everything that has been said has been said, just go out there to learn & have fun. don't pressure yourself to go faster, the speed will come, the important thing is to get back in 1pc.

2003 CBR 600RR JDM
HRC ECU AMA spec
HRC radiator
Electrex World race alternator
WP 4618 rear shock
WP 1508 steering damper
Ohlins 9.0N fork springs
Overrev tuned fork cartridges
Akrapovic Evo Carbon FS
Dynojet PCV WB2 POD300
BMC race air filter
AFAM 15/47 sprockets
DID VX2 520 gold chain
Brembo 19RCS MC
HEL brakelines
Euro Racing riser plates & lever
HM Plus quickshifter
EVR CTS slipper clutch
BST CF wheels
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Get Jiggy with it

speaking of 1pc rev..LOL...Do any of you guys wear 2pc leathers?? I have a 2pc but something is telling me to get rid of the old gear and get myself a nicer 1pc suit.

post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 07:58 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Dr Spank..........There is nothing wrong with a 2 pc. suit, as long as the top and bottom zip together with a FULL circumference zipper, not just the 8" or 10" zipper in the back. I've got two suits.....the 2pc. is a cold weather, lined jacket with ventilation zippers and then I've got a 1pc, Gericke suit that came from Sportbiketrackgear.com and it is ventilated/perforated, which is great for the hot summer trackdays. Make sure that whatever you are wearing, it has very good armour and padding .......just in case. I guess if I were limited to just one suit, I would buy a perforated suit and then add layers of cold protection over the top of it for the colder months. Another thing to remember, if you buy a new suit, make absolutely SURE that it fits snug. You don't want it so tight that it resticts your movements when you are in a tucked riding position, but if it is too loose, the armour could move around in the event of a crash and not give you the protection that you need. Always buy the BEST leather that you can afford. Alpinestart, Gericke, MotoGP, Kushitani, are some of the names that come to mind, although I'm sure that there are others that I can't think of at the moment. I got my Gericke suit at sportbiketrackgear.com a couple of years ago when they were closing out the previous model year and bringing in the new model year. It was almost 50% off of the retail pricing and it is an extremely heavyweight suit.......that was tested by the way at Little Talladaga last Memorial Day weekend. Hope this helps

2008 ST1300
post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Get Jiggy with it

Thanks X ... I always buy perforated leather...it's much more comfortable to me for most of the year and i can always layer up if it gets a little cold... I have been keeping my eyes open for a good deal on a 1pc. ... not in a hurry for that right this second..I probably wont do a trackday till around March or April anyway.

post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 08:51 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
yer gonna let a boi frum WizCONsyn git tuh th' track b'fer yew?!

sheeeit, i'ma gonna roll on down tuh flooradah 'n feberary...

ccs907
post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 10:14 PM

Had a 2pc, and its not as comfy and natural feeling as a 1pc.
So I eventually sold the trousers on here as I've only ridden in it like 3 times.

Fit is very important. So size yourself properly, and remember, different brand tend to fit different body types. Typically, dainese then alpinestars for the skinnier folks, then Joe rocket then AGV for the more round types. Tecknic tends to be right there in the middle. and frank thomas too.
Can't comment on the other brands.
Oh, don't sleep on tecnick, very very well made leathers. Check out stg.com and give brad a call too and browse the webs for the best prices.

post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 01:05 AM
Moto GP Racer

Forget the mods!!! Use that money on more trackdays!

I run the OEM damper on both my bikes. Yea aftermarket would be nice, but the OEM's can hold their own. I'm not the fastest guy out there, but I can hold my own in expert on either bike (07 600RR and 08 1000RR)

The only mods I would consider soon, track plastics, and brake lines. Honda makes pretty good OEM pads, not the best but far from bad. M/C is a good thing to do, but overkill at this stage of the game.

"at 8k i often get the tire to slip a bit(kinda like stoner in motogp) when i start to get on the throttle"
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 02:30 AM

Spank, who are you gonna ride with stg, tpm, nesba?
If you get a chance, come to vir, I plan on hitting it a lot this season.

post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 02:32 AM

Niner, he has a 05= no damper. Remember

post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 04:30 AM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Spank View Post
speaking of 1pc rev..LOL...Do any of you guys wear 2pc leathers?? I have a 2pc but something is telling me to get rid of the old gear and get myself a nicer 1pc suit.
nothing wrong with going with a 2pc as long as it's the wrap around your waist like the guy said in the earlier post, could you post the pic of your current gear?

save your $$$ for other stuff like spare tires, pads, suspension & tarck time, you can buy the really nice 1pc suits down the road when they go on sale, that's what i would do, i never pay full price for my gear anyway as i'm a cheap bastard. :D

we all lack money so just make the bnest of what you have at the moment & just get out there & log in some track time.

2003 CBR 600RR JDM
HRC ECU AMA spec
HRC radiator
Electrex World race alternator
WP 4618 rear shock
WP 1508 steering damper
Ohlins 9.0N fork springs
Overrev tuned fork cartridges
Akrapovic Evo Carbon FS
Dynojet PCV WB2 POD300
BMC race air filter
AFAM 15/47 sprockets
DID VX2 520 gold chain
Brembo 19RCS MC
HEL brakelines
Euro Racing riser plates & lever
HM Plus quickshifter
EVR CTS slipper clutch
BST CF wheels
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 07:25 AM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
get the steering stabilizer and new tires. Ride the bike and than decide what to do.
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Get Jiggy with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
Spank, who are you gonna ride with stg, tpm, nesba?
If you get a chance, come to vir, I plan on hitting it a lot this season.
I think I'm gonna go with Nesba, but i am not 100% sure yet..I will be doing most trackdays with my neighbor and 2 of his friends so I will just go along with what they do this year and once I see what it's all about , then I can make my own decisions for the next year.

As for VIR, VIR is actually on the top of my list... I My nephew lives in NJ and VIR is a great middle ground for us to meet and ride together. We have already talked about it, now we just gotta make it happen

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page