Shinko Vs. Michelin .... David Vs. Golliath A Battle Of The Ages!!! - 600RR.net
Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Shinko Vs. Michelin .... David Vs. Golliath A Battle Of The Ages!!!

Ok here is the deal first and foremost i am interested to see your comments and speculations on what may or may not happen or your personal experiance with these tires!
THE BIKE IS A 2006 CBR 600RR AND I AM 6'5" 250LBS the bikes condition is fair and with minimal bolt on modifications
1. Observation
a. I have yet to find definitive feedback on the comparison or a review itself on these tires namely the michelins and the shinko SLICKS. there have been pros and cons for there previous model tires but none for the new shinko 008 road race slick!
b. My personal experiance with shinko brand has been up and down the major benefits of these tires is of course COST!
c. I have already noticed the differances in the tires the chemistry in the rubber and the mold or "contour" or the tires are much like the michelin prc's or race tires!
d. PRICE .... POWER ONE COMBO FOR FRONT AND BACK 269.95$ ....source is http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=6804
008 road race shinko slicks are 201.98$
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/28/394/6208/ITEM/Shinko-Road-Race-Slick-Front-Tire.aspx
these prices are including shipping and subject to change!

2. THE QUESTION
a. Will this tire hold up and perform to said abilities close or above the perfomances of the michelin power one combo?
b. Will the life of the tire or wear be able to sustain performance like the michelin power on combo?
c. Will it be cost effective to run the shinko's compared to the michelin power one combo?
3. HYPOTHESIS
a. My theory is that the shinko tires will perform for at least on full track day and be able to consistantly produce numbers equal to or greater than the michelin power one combo
4. My method and control of testing
a. controlled conditions i.e dry track same track for both test
b. same or relative temperature for date of testing
c. same tire pressures and sizes with tire warmers
d. I will take before and after temps of tires on and off sessions
e. LAST BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY THE SAME MOTORCYCLE WITH THE SAME RIDER WITH NO ADDITIONAL MODIFICATIONS

the obvious is to do a proper review of these tires for future inquires and to produce a well written and almost scientific way of comparing the two tires! i.e the reason why im doing this in a science style format!

i will be attending two trackdays at a track that i know very well and have ridden on michelin power race and power ones numerous times within weeks of each other!
The obvious does not elude me i know im comparing apples and oranges here... comparing a D.O.T MICHELIN to a primarily race SHINKO but the fact there lies if i did compare a MICHELIN RACE combo the price would only raise to WELL OVER 400$ :shock: :shock:
tire sizes are 120/70/17 and 190/50/17

wish me luck i will report my results in ruffly a months time as i am preping my bike for this season adding some modifications
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 05:10 PM
Knee Dragger

I know the power race, power one combo worked well for me, I could get about 3 full pace days then 1 lazy day out of that combo. That was a pr4 in the rear and I wanna say a B compound power one in the front. I noticed you have a soft rear, and im not sure on your front, so you most likely wont get the same amount of days as i did. And for the shinko's I haven't heard much about them but I have heard they are only good for short circuits, and usually only last a day at pace, Which tells me that they are probably too soft for most tracks, and probably perform less than adequately in the heat. I would love to hear a review and/or comparison, I have seen these at my local shop selling for something like $180.00 for the set. Hope to see you report back soon.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

i pretty much got one full day out of a pr4 soft rear and two or so out of the front so if the shinkos last a full day at normal pace would be worth the cost but we will see my main concern is handling will it turn in and stick well i belive traction may not be a concern but all this will be covered!
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 12:37 AM
Knee Dragger

that profile on the front shinko is insane. You only got 1 day out of a pr4, thats nuts.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 12:56 AM
Pocketbike Racer

theres a review by a magazine, i can't remember which one, online somewhere about shinkos

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/402/11...re-Review.aspx

FOUND IT!
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwarnon View Post
theres a review by a magazine, i can't remember which one, online somewhere about shinkos

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/402/11...re-Review.aspx

FOUND IT!
thanks thats actually the first real positive thing i heard about those stealth tires so no reviews on these slicks yet though as far as i can find!
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkasfcuk13 View Post
that profile on the front shinko is insane. You only got 1 day out of a pr4, thats nuts.
i probaly could have gotten more but its just one of those piece of mind things i have ran them for two days straight but that would be it! of course i was on a track that apparently eats tires also!
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Update!!!! Do Not Buy These Tires For Track Use! The Shinko "road Race Slicks" Have What Appears An R Rating And There Own Rep Told Me That It Is A V Rated Tire Which Is Definately Still Not Acceptable For Track Use So Do Not Use These Tires In My Opinion If Your Going 100+ Mph
AN R RATED TIRE IS GOOD UP TO 105 A V RATED TIRE IS GOOD UP TO 145 STILL UNACCEPTABLE FOR TRACK USE!!!!
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 11:48 AM
Get Jiggy with it

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I have never tried the Shinkos but I know MANY people that use them and love them... especially the "Stealth"

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 12:44 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Well that was a let down. So I guess what your saying is that shinko doesn't really make a track tire then. The slicks are for...? They can't be for the mini's can they? Hell I've never seen a mini with a 190 on it so they must make these with intentions of people actually using them on motorcycles, so now I'm left with more questions about shinko then when we started. I too was fixing to pull the trigger on a set that my vendor was going to let me "demo" in a couple of weeks. Shinko... so many mysteries.

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

well i have heard ok things on the stealth tire also ultra soft compound would be interesting to try a set if my vendor would be willing to toss me them lol...

the shinko road race slicks i picked up said moto race on the side and the only thing i can think of is for the motards? i guess but what runs a 190 rear the new ducati i guess but oh well i guess that would be for the drag racers but even that they exceed the speeds not as long but still!
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 03:01 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

I'm afraid I've seen bad things with Shinkos. I too was optimistic, so I ordered a set for my brother's bike. They were the Stealths.

After a short time we realized that at full lean, there was an "air gap" in his contact patch. A section of the tire that did not touch the ground while leaned over. We knew this because after looking at his tires one day, we saw that while he had no chicken strips at the outer edge of the tire, there was a chicken strip of untouched rubber further in from the edge. Sort of hard to describe.

Apart from that, the tires were fine, and were well behaved/handled great.

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 03:33 PM
Pocketbike Racer

So the tires were rolling over? Like a fold? What a POS.

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 05:53 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by twotiredtires View Post
So the tires were rolling over? Like a fold? What a POS.
I'm not sure what was going on, but I've since decided to pay just a bit more for Bridgestone, Michelin, Pirelli and the like.

Now this is not to say that reputable manufacturers are flawless... we've all seen bubbling Pilot Powers, etc.

I'm sure many folks will have no problems with their Shinkos, I just wanted to get my story out there!

post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibbob50 View Post
I'm afraid I've seen bad things with Shinkos. I too was optimistic, so I ordered a set for my brother's bike. They were the Stealths.

After a short time we realized that at full lean, there was an "air gap" in his contact patch. A section of the tire that did not touch the ground while leaned over. We knew this because after looking at his tires one day, we saw that while he had no chicken strips at the outer edge of the tire, there was a chicken strip of untouched rubber further in from the edge. Sort of hard to describe.

Apart from that, the tires were fine, and were well behaved/handled great.
wow thats nuts all the more reason why i think ill give this mission up!
Do you think his tires were underinflated? or over?
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 07:16 PM
Get Jiggy with it

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
you could have just got a bad batch of tires..it definitely happens...like i said..I know of alot of people out here riding very agressive on the shinko stealth and the slicks are pretty well respected by the drag racers due to the price

post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 07:51 PM
Knee Dragger

[QUOTE=twotiredtires;2699135]Well that was a let down. So I guess what your saying is that shinko doesn't really make a track tire then. The slicks are for...?

what I was told was they are for short circuit racing, probably were you wont reach speeds of over 100mph, but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense because they make a 190. What would a 1000cc be doing on a short circuit like that? I guess you might be able to squeeze one on a 250 gp, but everyone I know that rides gp's run 160's. Well I guess I am just as dumbfounded as everyone else... What the hell are these tires for?
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 04:16 PM
Knee Dragger

Damn, I was looking forward to reading up on a review on Shinkos...

"Life begins at 30... but doesn't start to get interesting until 150"

Black&White 2009 600RR w/ Lace Racing stripes
Catalyst Street & Racing Fairings
Woodcraft Clipons
Natural Rizoma Grips and Ends
Black Rizoma Signals - Avio 21 Front; Zero 11 rear
Black ASV Levers
Black Gilles Tooling Chain Adjuster
Gilles Tooling Swingarm crash pads
Gilles Tooling Safety Axle-nut
Scorpio i900 Alarm w/ anti-hijack and Perimeter
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vodudol View Post
Damn, I was looking forward to reading up on a review on Shinkos...
yeah sorry man .... im so still tempted to try it but little scary thinking my tire could come apart at 150!
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 02:34 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
so what was the verdict? just eat the 200 bucks or are you sending them back (can you do that?)

and the profile of that front tire reminds me of a tire that has been cupped do to wear, (to be fair it is off the rim and not inflated, pilot powers look kinda funky when new and not mounted as well.

post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gville George View Post
so what was the verdict? just eat the 200 bucks or are you sending them back (can you do that?)

and the profile of that front tire reminds me of a tire that has been cupped do to wear, (to be fair it is off the rim and not inflated, pilot powers look kinda funky when new and not mounted as well.
yeah i can get my money back returning them monday told them they sold me track tires that cant go over 110 mph and that was not goingol to work they seemed to agree! lol i originally ran the old power race and the contour of them kinda looked the same off the rim so ehhh either way ill never find out! lol
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 12:20 AM
C.F.A. member / whore

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
i know this is an old thread but anyone seen these? W rated... 170 chickens...

http://www.motosport.com/motorcycle/...MBO/?id=114926

2013 X5 35d (Tow)
2006 R6 (Track)
2003 600RR (Street)

2002 YZF 426 (Sold)
2000 CBR F4 (Totalled by Illegal U-turner)

Life is good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page