Installation of SS Brake Lines right before TD - 600RR.net
Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Installation of SS Brake Lines right before TD

I have a track day this weekend at MSR Cresson, and have these Goodridge Superbike SS Lines that have yet to be installed. I have been running with stock lines as of now. When I raced quads, you couldn't tell differences as easily on those so I never had a hard time getting used to SS lines on those. However, I know the bike will be a lot more sensitive. Should I wait for installation until after the track day and go for a couple of test runs at another time (when theres more time) before I go straight to the track??? Or should it be fairly easy to adapt to? I will be going on a track that I am unfamiliar with as well. I know- a simple question, but out to perform to potential, but want to be safe as well. Thanks in advance =)

Pink Repsol 06 600RR Track Bike
Coming soon to a track near you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 03:38 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 18 reviews
The install is fairly straightforward. Just don't get any air in the master cylinder!!! I did and it was a B*ITCH to get it out and bled properly. As for getting used to them, it didn't take me any time really to get adjust my braking. They just feel firmer, like there isn't anything standing between the movement of your hand, and the movement of the pistons. It's awesome.

I did a couple quick rides just to bed the new pads I installed at the same time, but I don't think you're going to grab your brakes and endo your first time. You should take your first few laps slowly anyway to get heat in the tires, and when you do, get a feel for the brakes. you'll never want to go back to anything else after you go SS with superbike fittings.

NOTE: if your lines also have the 90 degree fluid fittings that thread into the calipers, you will need a crows foot to properly torque the fittings.

I will forever refuse to recognize the limits that others would place on what I can, and cannot do.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

hmmm thanks for the note about the fluid fittings! I will have to take a look at that.

Thanks a lot for your informative post, I am going to go ahead and try to get them installed tonight when I get the oil changed!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 04:01 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 18 reviews
You're welcome. Hope install goes smooth. Any more questions, just ask.

I will forever refuse to recognize the limits that others would place on what I can, and cannot do.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 12:29 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

How did it go?

My first track day will be over at MSRC this weekend so maybe I'll see you...

I put Spiegler lines and new pads on my new (to me) 05 600 a couple of weeks ago in anticipation of taking it to the track. I made sure I rode it around for a few days to get the pads bedded in because I figured I would have enough on my mind as it was. Unless you're totally ham fisted it should be easy to adjust to the new feel.

+1 on bleeding these things, a little air in there and you're pumping fluid through the thing forever - I think spent 40 minutes just bleeding the lines. Mine feels pretty good but I'm still not totally satisfied. Then again I'm used to the brakes on my 1000 and the servo actuated BMW 1200, both of which are awsome. I'll see how they do when the brakes actually warm up at track speeds.

Enjoy every minute of life!

Current stable:
05 Honda CBR 600RR (track only)
06 BMW R1200 GS (sold)
08 Honda CBR 1000RR (street only)
12 BMW K1600GTL

IBA# 57849

Motorcycle Road Trips I've Taken: http://lonemuser.blogspot.com/p/moto...rip-index.html
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Well you will definitely not miss me- Im on the pink bike. I am sure I will have the only one there LOL
I have blonde hair and blue leathers, come say hey for sure!

Bad news is I did not get the brake lines installed before this track day- I am going to have to do all of this before the next TD at TWS on April 4

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 11:12 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourFiftyFour View Post
Well you will definitely not miss me- Im on the pink bike. I am sure I will have the only one there LOL
I have blonde hair and blue leathers, come say hey for sure!

Bad news is I did not get the brake lines installed before this track day- I am going to have to do all of this before the next TD at TWS on April 4
Pink bike to track day, cool. I'll definitely stop and say hey. I'll be the guy with greying hair, red leathers and riding this (except with new front brake lines)...

Have you seen the weather forecast for Saturday? Ugh!

Edit: I guess I'll see you at the next one...

Email from RideSmart:
... We have cancelled the March 20th event at MSR Cresson due to a forecast of poor riding conditions for that day. ...

Enjoy every minute of life!

Current stable:
05 Honda CBR 600RR (track only)
06 BMW R1200 GS (sold)
08 Honda CBR 1000RR (street only)
12 BMW K1600GTL

IBA# 57849

Motorcycle Road Trips I've Taken: http://lonemuser.blogspot.com/p/moto...rip-index.html

Last edited by Bimmerx2; 03-18-2010 at 03:40 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

I will be at MSRH this Sunday for a LMS track day and then I need to go ahead and sign up for TWS on April 4 too. You going to be at TWS?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page