My 3rd and 4th track days! - 600RR.net
Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Thumbs up My 3rd and 4th track days!

Went back to the track May 8-9th. Still working on my body position. Trying to get my chin down on the clip-on...almost there. Was able to bring my right foot up a little on the peg and significantly reduced the amount of wear on my toe-sliders. I am still dragging my foot in some turns. I have a bad knee on my right side, and that may be affecting my ability to keep it in the same position as my left foot.
Also worked on RP's for braking, turn-in, and exit. My trail-braking has improved a lot also, and I am able to carry much more speed into turns. My speed overall has improved considerably, as I was passing several literbikes throughout my second day. I even had on guy on a Duc 1098 approach me and ask if I was on a 600 after I passed him several times.
My instructor said I was doing well, and was actually gaining space on him on the track, but he said I am going a little too wide into the turns and that is where he was able to close the space. My timed lap was 2:15 on a 2.9 mi course (TWS.) That was running my average pace (70-ish %.) My unofficial time when I chased a buddy was around 2:10, maybe a second or two less, but I was pushing pretty hard.
Here are the pics guys. Let me know what you think.

2008 CBR 600RR #1 (Graffiti) street
2008 CBR 600RR #2 track
CMRA #599

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyP View Post
Unfortunately bikes fall over. It's in their nature.
It's our job to keep them upright, but we are only men.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 11:46 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 14 reviews
lookin good man, cant wait til i can hit the track

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-NA6CE View Post
Women are mental terrorists. They bleed for almost a week and don't die. Of course they're crazy. Seriously. End of discussion.
R.I.P PHATSTUD

officially addicted to track
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 11:58 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Awesome pictures.

I can't wait to pop my track cherry.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 12:02 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just an observation...To make your position(aggressive, attack, chin down) work better, I think you need to pick up the elbows a little. They seem like they are cramping you up, especially on the right side. JMO Tdub

SAY WHAT!!!
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 09:16 PM
fast03600rr

Feedback Score: 15 reviews
first pic makes me think of a spider monkey on a bike lol... you look good though, def in the right direction. 3rd and 4th trackday = should of already had track plastic on the bike before you ruin the expensive stock stuff!!

Phatstud

07 Dyna
07 Bagger

07 RMZ 250

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 08:55 AM
Moto GP Racer

Hey man, worry less about getting the knee out and work more on rolling your body AROUND the bike.

Having your knee out that far just means you're going to drag it everywhere, which might be "cool" but it's going to hinder your growth. The object of the knee is to tell you that you're at you "limits". But I don't think you are anywhere near your limits, therefore when you do NEED to know that "oh shoot I'm at the limits" you'll never know the difference because you're so used to dragging your knee.

Know what I mean?

Hope that makes sense, I can tell my lap times based on which corners and how much my knee drags, most of the time I have to pull my knee BACK into the bike in order to allow me to have more lean angle. Otherwise I have to slow down, but um... that's not why I'm out there, I am there to go FASTER!

lol

"at 8k i often get the tire to slip a bit(kinda like stoner in motogp) when i start to get on the throttle"
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 09:29 AM
World Superbike Racer

Thread is back to life! lol

the only difference between suicide and killing yourself is whether or not you had fun while doing it. ( Me )

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.
And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it. ( Jack Handey )

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niner1000RR View Post
Hey man, worry less about getting the knee out and work more on rolling your body AROUND the bike.

Having your knee out that far just means you're going to drag it everywhere, which might be "cool" but it's going to hinder your growth. The object of the knee is to tell you that you're at you "limits". But I don't think you are anywhere near your limits, therefore when you do NEED to know that "oh shoot I'm at the limits" you'll never know the difference because you're so used to dragging your knee.

Know what I mean?

Hope that makes sense, I can tell my lap times based on which corners and how much my knee drags, most of the time I have to pull my knee BACK into the bike in order to allow me to have more lean angle. Otherwise I have to slow down, but um... that's not why I'm out there, I am there to go FASTER!

lol
Thanks for the input Niner. I'm not forcing my knee out. Only doing what is comfortable for me. I'm a little confused about what you mean by "my limits." Are you referring to my tire limit? I'm on the edge of the rear, and have an 1/8th in. or less left on the front. I don't see how I could possibly lean the bike any further. These pics don't show me at max lean, so they are somewhat subjective. I understand the concept of using my knee. I don't really care if I drag or not, after the first time it loses it's charm.
I am still working on the torso. hopefully next month I can get it all to come together. Feel free to elaborate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast03600rr View Post
first pic makes me think of a spider monkey on a bike lol... you look good though, def in the right direction. 3rd and 4th trackday = should of already had track plastic on the bike before you ruin the expensive stock stuff!!
Spider monkey? I'm only 5'7"...the shortest spider monkey ever! Maybe more like a chimpanzee.
Track plastics? I've only made 3 trips to the track...are you implying I'm gonna crash? j/k.
I will probably get some, in time. It's hard to say. I may end up having a strictly track bike at some point. Unfortunately there are a lot of other things I want to invest in before the plastics.

2008 CBR 600RR #2 track
CMRA #599

Quote:
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 05:44 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
Thanks for the input Niner. I'm not forcing my knee out. Only doing what is comfortable for me. I'm a little confused about what you mean by "my limits." Are you referring to my tire limit? I'm on the edge of the rear, and have an 1/8th in. or less left on the front. I don't see how I could possibly lean the bike any further. These pics don't show me at max lean, so they are somewhat subjective. I understand the concept of using my knee. I don't really care if I drag or not, after the first time it loses it's charm.
I am still working on the torso. hopefully next month I can get it all to come together. Feel free to elaborate.
Hey Mike,

That's cool, when I refer to "limits" I mean the point at which you should not be leaning the bike any further, safely.

As far as a gauge of those limits, the tires aren't it. When the chicken strips are gone, that means you have about 8-12* further to go. The tires will continue to flex further, well beyond the point which you're chicken strips are gone.

So, as you can tell you are close to getting you knee down yet you have MUCH more lean angle available. On an 07 600RR you can drag those stocker rear sets as well as your lowers before you reach your limits.

So my point was just that you don't want to get bad habits, people drag their knees all the time when they have no need to, this really just slows them down, maybe not much but when you are dealing with tenths of seconds every little bit helps.

Looking good though man, get back out there and keep it going!!! :D

"at 8k i often get the tire to slip a bit(kinda like stoner in motogp) when i start to get on the throttle"
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 05:50 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Just a comparison of what I was refering to...

SAY WHAT!!!
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 06:04 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

i can't wait to get to a track and the way you look out there being it's only your 3rd and 4th day is awesome. tdub stop showing off you master little rider man lol

04 cbr 600RR sold
2010 cbr1k-pita
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 06:12 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie04RR View Post
tdub stop showing off you master little rider man lol
Honestly that was not my intent. I was just trying to help. I am not a rider (ex MX Pro). But I can try to be very observant. I have been told that Jake's form is very good...I was just trying to pass that on. Honest

Besides, if I wanted to show off, I would have posted this one...

SAY WHAT!!!

Last edited by Tdub; 05-22-2010 at 06:17 PM.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 08:00 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

i'm just busting your balls, honestly i look at his pictures and try to use them to my advantage and take things from it. I figure if he's leaning a bike that much and has amazing times once i get comfy i could do it too post a thread with that kids pics lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdub View Post
Honestly that was not my intent. I was just trying to help.

04 cbr 600RR sold
2010 cbr1k-pita
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niner1000RR View Post
Hey Mike,

That's cool, when I refer to "limits" I mean the point at which you should not be leaning the bike any further, safely.

As far as a gauge of those limits, the tires aren't it. When the chicken strips are gone, that means you have about 8-12* further to go. The tires will continue to flex further, well beyond the point which you're chicken strips are gone.

So, as you can tell you are close to getting you knee down yet you have MUCH more lean angle available. On an 07 600RR you can drag those stocker rear sets as well as your lowers before you reach your limits.

So my point was just that you don't want to get bad habits, people drag their knees all the time when they have no need to, this really just slows them down, maybe not much but when you are dealing with tenths of seconds every little bit helps.

Looking good though man, get back out there and keep it going!!! :D
I didn't have too many pics to chose from, so these may have not been the best examples of my performance. I still have a lot of inconsistencies in regards to position that I am trying to work on. I AM dragging in almost all of the turns at TWS depending on my speed. I'm not sure I will be pushing it another 8-10 degrees past my max lean now, which is definitely past 45 in some turns. That will be for the track bike when it happens, and when I start the Level 3 racing school.
Supposedly My PP2CTs have a max of 52-53, and I am pretty close to hitting that now. I have heard of some people dragging their stock pegs on my model bike, but I haven't yet. I chew up my toe-sliders pretty well each time I go so I am pretty close to scraping them. Rearsets or adjustable risers will be on of my next investments. At this point I am still working on seconds, not 1/10ths. I will have to shave off another 15 seconds at least before I can worry about that Thanks again for the input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdub View Post
Just a comparison of what I was refering to...

Thanks T, that's pretty much what I'm going for...definitely the "spider monkey" look. Not sure my old ass can still contort like that, but I'll be trying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie04RR View Post
i can't wait to get to a track and the way you look out there being it's only your 3rd and 4th day is awesome.l
Thanks Newb, I'm trying. The rest of my TD's this season will be 2 day events, which IS the way to go. I have to take Mondays off afterward, but it's worth it. Once you start I highly recommend doubling up. You will advance MUCH quicker.

2008 CBR 600RR #2 track
CMRA #599

Quote:
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 08:10 PM
Moto GP Racer

Cool man, definitely get those feet up and back, you I can drag the Sato pegs and even lowers without dragging my boots.

Sounds like you're having fun and that's what counts!!! :D

post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 08:25 PM
Moto GP Racer

i'm trying to change my form like a "spider monkey" as well but i think old age is keeping me from doing it, i wish i was 10yrs younger.

2003 CBR 600RR JDM
HRC ECU AMA spec
HRC radiator
Electrex World race alternator
WP 4618 rear shock
WP 1508 steering damper
Ohlins 9.0N fork springs
Overrev tuned fork cartridges
Akrapovic Evo Carbon FS
Dynojet PCV WB2 POD300
BMC race air filter
AFAM 15/47 sprockets
DID VX2 520 gold chain
Brembo 19RCS MC
HEL brakelines
Euro Racing riser plates & lever
HM Plus quickshifter
EVR CTS slipper clutch
BST CF wheels
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 08:49 PM
Knee Dragger

Covering the front brake all the way through the apex?

'07 White/Silver 600RR
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 08:53 PM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1091 View Post
It's not uncommon to trail the brake all the way to the apex sometimes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XBrY9Xukrc

^^CBR600RR Trackday Videos - Updated 4-5-11^^**

2011 Trackday Counter: 2
Next Trackday: ?????

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 09:03 PM
Moto GP Racer

+1, depending on the track/corner you will trail it past the apex...

post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1091 View Post
I do trail-brake as far as I can, if carrying a lot of speed into the turn.
In this case I'm already off the brake...I cover the brake with one finger 99% of the time unless I'm going WOT in a straight. I get ish from everyone for it when they see pics. Just an old habit.

2008 CBR 600RR #2 track
CMRA #599

Quote:
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 12:21 AM
World Superbike Racer

BTW, you can know just leave the little mirror posts screwed in and just take the actual mirror itself off, right? :) I'd be afraid the front fairing might go flopping or something if not bolted down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XBrY9Xukrc

^^CBR600RR Trackday Videos - Updated 4-5-11^^**

2011 Trackday Counter: 2
Next Trackday: ?????

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosaki View Post
BTW, you can know just leave the little mirror posts screwed in and just take the actual mirror itself off, right? :) I'd be afraid the front fairing might go flopping or something if not bolted down

I don't like re-adjusting my mirrors.
The fairing stay should hold it in place. It doesn't move when I take the mirrors off.

2008 CBR 600RR #2 track
CMRA #599

Quote:
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 12:04 PM
Moto GP Racer

whoa on the trailbraking through the apex.

it's a tricky situation to do it, simply because you're taking the front tire (and your front suspension) closer to it's limit. You're asking it to give you grip to turn, AND to brake. On a cold tire, lowside is possible. Even the GP and SBK guys do it....and that's about the only thing we have in common with them...lol.

I very rarely ever trailbrake through the apex, simply because at the apex, you're supposed to be on the gas already (maintenance throttle) and ready to hit the exit marker with the throttle open.

Trailbraking using the front brake is tricky and it just isn't the normal thing to do.

There's braking point, corner entry, apex, corner exit....every good trackday organization puts cones out to mark those points, FOLLOW THEM. Get your braking done BEFORE making the other decisions.

and STOP BABYSITTING THAT BRAKE!

2007 600RR - Arata Full Ti, Bazzaz ZFI/AFM, Pipercross Race filter, Repsol 4T synthetic, 520 ERV3 conversion, 15/43 renthal sprockets, Galfer Superbike brake lines, Vesrah RJL's, Bridgestone BT002 Pro Soft/Medium, Vortex rearsets, Ten kate replica intake, red/white/black rattle can spray job.

R.I.P. Chenhan Wu aka Phatstud 05/08/1980-10/19/2010. May you find Peace and may Peace find you.

Last edited by NesNeedsBoost; 06-01-2010 at 12:11 PM.
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosaki View Post
It's not uncommon to trail the brake all the way to the apex sometimes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NesNeedsBoost View Post
whoa on the trailbraking through the apex...
I'm off the brake by the apex. Those were his words, not mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NesNeedsBoost View Post
...and STOP BABYSITTING THAT BRAKE!
Hey, you sound like my MSF instructor I'm gonna start using my middle finger, so if anyone says something about it I can say I'm givin' them the "bird."

2008 CBR 600RR #2 track
CMRA #599

Quote:
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 12:59 AM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Looking good man! I love threads like this, inspires me to push harder. I only have 2 track days so hopefully I can look as good as you on my 4th.
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKinney1016 View Post
Looking good man! I love threads like this, inspires me to push harder. I only have 2 track days so hopefully I can look as good as you on my 4th.
Thanks Kinney! I'm lucky to ride with a group of very experienced people, so I had a lot of help before I actually hit the track, and at the track.
My advice is not to push too hard at the track. Concentrate on your BP, RPs for braking, turn-in and exit, and your lines. Everything will come together if you follow those tips. I usually only run about 70% at the track. When I push it too hard my lines start going to shite. Concentrate on being fluid/smooth and the speed will come naturally.

2008 CBR 600RR #2 track
CMRA #599

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page