My 5th and 6th Track Days! - 600RR.net
Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Thumbs up My 5th and 6th Track Days!

I went back to Texas World Speedway (TWS) on June 19th and 20th, for my 5th and 6th track days. This was my 4th and 5th visit to this particular track.
I'm still working on basics: BP, clip-points, RPs for braking, entry, exit, and trail-braking. Things fell together well for me overall. I noticed that following the race-line is taking little effort now with high speed. My main focus was BP right out of the pit. I am trying to exaggerate my head down towards the clip-on, and trying to bring my knee in more to get more lean and speed (per Niner in my last TD post.) I may need to scoot back even more to get my head down better. It seems I may still be too far forward on the tank and that may be keeping my head from getting lower. I also even took my finger off the brake lever a few times (per Nes in my last TD post)
My BP did improve, although some of the pics are not a good representation. Since it was close to 100 degrees out (track temp was around 140-150) fatigue set in quickly and my focus strayed sometimes. Bringing in my knee worked well, and I was able to get more lean angle than before and was actually riding on/past the edge of my new Power Pure rear tire, and close to the same for the front.
I was voted "Smoothest Rider" for Level 2 (intermediate) on Saturday. I wasn't focusing as much on speed as I was on everything else. Sunday was a different story. Since everything was falling together I upped the pace with each session. By the last session Sunday I was running a 2:05, that's 10-13 seconds faster than my fastest times last month!
The next thing I am going to focus on is shifting points. This seemed to be the thing that slowed me down the most when I was riding a fast pace. I lost count of my gears a couple times and didn't realize it until hitting first coming into a couple turns, and neutral once . Typically this is in conjunction with my entry braking, but I guess since I am going deeper with more speed I need to focus better. Like I said earlier, the heat was an effer.

There were quite a few crashes both days, which limited our track time. As a result I didn't get too many pictures, and few of them were as good as I would like.
Here you go guys. Please give feedback.

2008 CBR 600RR #1 (Graffiti) street
2008 CBR 600RR #2 track
CMRA #599

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyP View Post
Unfortunately bikes fall over. It's in their nature.
It's our job to keep them upright, but we are only men.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 06:11 PM
AMA Supersport Racer ** BOTM 08/10 **

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Looking good out there MikeP, I'm sure that Heat was crazy. Practice makes perfect.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 07:11 PM
Moto GP Racer

looking better (except that last pic where you snuck in the index on the brake again...lol!!)
at least you're a part-time babysitter now. or maybe you were pulling the finger back by then. which if that was the case, awesome.

you should have your basic BPs and apexes memorized for that track by now (5th day there is what....25+ sessions? ).

remember that once you commit to turn, (for the most part) all your braking should be done already and you should be in the appropriate gear...except in race conditions where you'll have to trail brake to overtake someone, and maybe shift a gear lower and feather the clutch out to keep the rear steady on corner exit.

one reason why I say not to babysit the brake is because you should be on maintenance throttle by the time you hit the turn marker. if you're babysitting the brake, you're probably losing speed and questioning whether you turned in at the right time.
in any case, if you roll on the throttle and babysit a little too much, you might end up braking by mistake...standing the bike up, going off track, or causing an accident (which are the tru reasons you shouldn't have your finger on the brake mid-turn).

I feel you on the heat thing. I did a day at NJMP on a 88 degree day with high humidity. After a few sessions....it seemed like they were calling my group every few minutes....I skipped a session one time cuz I knew I wouldn't be focused.

2007 600RR - Arata Full Ti, Bazzaz ZFI/AFM, Pipercross Race filter, Repsol 4T synthetic, 520 ERV3 conversion, 15/43 renthal sprockets, Galfer Superbike brake lines, Vesrah RJL's, Bridgestone BT002 Pro Soft/Medium, Vortex rearsets, Ten kate replica intake, red/white/black rattle can spray job.

R.I.P. Chenhan Wu aka Phatstud 05/08/1980-10/19/2010. May you find Peace and may Peace find you.

Last edited by NesNeedsBoost; 06-30-2010 at 07:13 PM.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 12:47 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Look good!

Seems like your toes are about to drag though (only on right turns).

07 CBR600RR
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by byebye_sti View Post
Look good!

Seems like your toes are about to drag though (only on right turns).
Yeah, I got this right leg/foot thing going on. I have a hard time finding good postition on the right. My boots are a little big, so it makes them hang down a little farther. I also have a bad knee on the right, so I think it affects my foot position...I dunno. I really only dragged my boot sliders when I was haulin' ass and getting fatigued, which was more than I would like.

2008 CBR 600RR #2 track
CMRA #599

Quote:
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 12:12 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looking like a pro there dude!

Great pic's and it looks like you're getting around in pretty good shape. I can relate to the sitting too far forward thing. I was really focused on getting my weight to the inside on my 2nd track day but sitting so close to the tank made it hard for me to get low enough. I've been practicing sliding back while riding the country roads around here but it's just not the same thing as on the track. One fix at a time I guess. Next trackday for me is July 18 at Eagles Canyon.

Enjoy every minute of life!

Current stable:
05 Honda CBR 600RR (track only)
06 BMW R1200 GS (sold)
08 Honda CBR 1000RR (street only)
12 BMW K1600GTL

IBA# 57849

Motorcycle Road Trips I've Taken: http://lonemuser.blogspot.com/p/moto...rip-index.html
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 09:55 AM
Moto GP Racer

Man, you are REALLY throwing your leg out, dragging your knee if you aren't within say 10 seconds of the lap record is just hindering growth, pull it back!

Another thing to try is "rolling around the bike". You are low, that's awesome! Now try to act like you are hiding behind it.

Know what I mean? You're low, but on top, try to get down INSIDE the bike.

"at 8k i often get the tire to slip a bit(kinda like stoner in motogp) when i start to get on the throttle"
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niner1000RR View Post
Man, you are REALLY throwing your leg out, dragging your knee if you aren't within say 10 seconds of the lap record is just hindering growth, pull it back!

Another thing to try is "rolling around the bike". You are low, that's awesome! Now try to act like you are hiding behind it.

Know what I mean? You're low, but on top, try to get down INSIDE the bike.
LOL. I'm with you. I wasn't sticking it out that much, just got caught on camera a couple timesI know exactly what mean by INSIDE. I'll apply it next time I'm out.

2008 CBR 600RR #2 track
CMRA #599

Quote:
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 10:23 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Very good body position for a new track rider. Dragging toes yet? looks pretty close. I have had to change my foot position running stock rear-sets. Doesnt it kinda suck that once you start picking up the pace - you have to start spending money to resolve the problems. More lean = stickier tires. Better feel = suspension upgrades. Ground clearance = Rear-sets.

You seem to be getting you head down pretty low. Chin hitting the front fairing edges yet? I have found myself having to move my head BACK and then over to transition between turns. If I dont, the chin of the helmet hits the corner of the front fairing. Not sure how tall you are, but looks like you are close to it.

-PB

PB_Crisp
2006 F4i = 16000+mi.
2007 600RR = 5000+mi
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Thanks PB! I am usually dragging toes more when I'm pushing it and getting fatigued. I had to switch to magnesium sliders b/c I go through plastics in 2 days. The magnesium lasted me 4 TDs, have to toss em now tho. My boots are a little big, so it doesn't help.
I have a suspension guy that charges me $60 for the season, and attends 99% of the TDs I go to. He has me dialed in pretty good for stock. We've already discussed re-valving/springing the front and probably do a Penske rear, but that will be late next year at the soonest.
Rearsets will probably be my first upgrade after I get rid of my stock signals, then stainless brake lines. So many mods, so little time and money. TDs are killing my mod fund!
I'm still a little inconsistent on BP, but it is coming together. A little more muscle memory and I'll be there. I'm 5'7". I'm noticing that I'm having to scoot back a little more than what I'm used to, to get the position I want. Like Niner said, I want to "hide" behind the bike.

Your pics look great too. I was really surprised to see such good form in a 3rd TD pic.

2008 CBR 600RR #2 track
CMRA #599

Quote:
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 11:51 AM
Moto GP Racer

Try to angle your feet in, almost like you aren't resting them on the peg but on the heal guard.

It will buy you another inch or 2. Then you get the hard parts.

I can drag lowers before my boots.

"at 8k i often get the tire to slip a bit(kinda like stoner in motogp) when i start to get on the throttle"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page