Newest track day pics. Opinions on my body positioning Please :) - 600RR.net
Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Newest track day pics. Opinions on my body positioning Please :)

I'll post a pic from one of my first days last year and one from this weekend. I think I drastically improved my upper and lower body positioning. I really noticed a difference when I got my upper body low and forward to bring my center of gravity as close to the inside of the turn as possible. New adjustable rearsets helped huge with my lower body as well.

I'm having trouble getting my elbows out but I'll make it a goal to improve that.

What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	avatar1.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	15983   Click image for larger version

Name:	Calabogie wicked shot.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	15984  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

bump bump bump.. Come on, 53 views and no replies?
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 08:33 PM
Training Wheel Hero

You could probably look to my thread below, it looks like maybe we are searching for similar advice. I agree that you made a drastic improvement between pics. You think the rearsets helped a lot? I still have the factory sets on my bike. Did it take any more effort when riding? My legs killed after my last weekend, I suppose I just need to get into better shape, but didn't know if the altered riding position helped or made it worse.

Jon

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 08:35 PM
Demented

Kinda hard to judge without being able to fully see the turn. Hard to tell if you're at the beginning, apex, or exit. Body position changes dramatically with where you are in the turn.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwalter88 View Post
You could probably look to my thread below, it looks like maybe we are searching for similar advice. I agree that you made a drastic improvement between pics. You think the rearsets helped a lot? I still have the factory sets on my bike. Did it take any more effort when riding? My legs killed after my last weekend, I suppose I just need to get into better shape, but didn't know if the altered riding position helped or made it worse.

Jon
I'll look at your thread.

I think the rear sets gave me a more aggressive stance and raised my feet higher. I played around with them all day to get them to the right spot but once I did it felt great. I would also scrape my toe on the ground with the stock rearsets, but not with these.

I was exhausted like usual. Its physically demanding. I didn't notice a difference, no.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demented View Post
Kinda hard to judge without being able to fully see the turn. Hard to tell if you're at the beginning, apex, or exit. Body position changes dramatically with where you are in the turn.
Let me see if I can find one with a wider shot.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

There's a couple more
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	for 600rr.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	15988   Click image for larger version

Name:	for 600rr back.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	15989  
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 08:44 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Only thing with that last pic you posted is your foot pointing out. Looks like you would drag it like that. I know my first day I dragged my boots a lot, so now I make sure to keep them nice and tucked in.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Only thing with that last pic you posted is your foot pointing out. Looks like you would drag it like that. I know my first day I dragged my boots a lot, so now I make sure to keep them nice and tucked in.
Yeah, I should get on the ball of my foot more shouldn't I..
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 08:50 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Actually I looked a little closer and looks like you had the peg dug into the boot where the ball of your foot is. At first glance it looked like it was sticking out but doesn't look so now.

I know I need to work on getting lower, I would try and remind myself to rest my outside arm on the tank but I every time I thought about it my arm was just hangin out there. So much to think about...

How many trackdays have you done?
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

I know there's lots to think about. The best thing I believe is not to rush/try to get faster..

I've done 2 schools (beginner and intermediate) and 4 other track days. Every time I go I improve huge. I think if you have an open mind, read everything you can, talk to everyone, and just be genuinely interested in learning anyone can improve.

In my opinion, anyone can practice lots but it doesn't mean they are practicing the right techniques.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 09:02 PM
Training Wheel Hero

I hear ya, having an open mind really helps. People are more likely to help if you have an open mind as well. No one likes giving advice that falls on deaf ears. I really want to do a school after this season is done. Thought about finding one down in warmer weather areas to keep me occupied during the winter.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 09:05 PM
Demented

Only thing I see is the foot issue, and that you gotta get your head down more. Looks like you're keeping your head behind the bubble as much as possible, which pulls your upper body towards the center of the bike.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
I hear ya, having an open mind really helps. People are more likely to help if you have an open mind as well. No one likes giving advice that falls on deaf ears. I really want to do a school after this season is done. Thought about finding one down in warmer weather areas to keep me occupied during the winter.
Yeah schools are great, I think they are worth the money. And like I said, it gets you practicing proper techniques.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Only thing I see is the foot issue, and that you gotta get your head down more. Looks like you're keeping your head behind the bubble as much as possible, which pulls your upper body towards the center of the bike.
I'll keep the head thing in mind and try to lower my upper body even more. My instructor told me to stick my elbow out and try to get my head towards the inside of my elbow. Others say try to "headbutt" or get close to where the mirror would be. My foot is something I can work on as well. I think I'm getting there, though.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 09:21 PM
Demented

Try to bite your hand. That'll get your head close to being right.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Try to bite your hand. That'll get your head close to being right.
Haha that's a good one too. I'd like to see a pic of you with a clear visor!
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 09:30 PM
Demented

I ride with dark smoke even in the rain, so no real chance of having a pic taken with a clear visor. Things seem weird with a clear one.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 10:52 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
just keep on practicing and you will get better. Looking good so far; you can lean the bike a bit more. It seems you are hanging off just right but the bike isn't leaned far enough.

Nice track plastics.

* * 600RR Ex-Track Junkie * *
Current bike - Yamaha Liquid Silver R1

- Competition Breeds Excellence -
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 07:35 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Here's a good way to tell about your head and upper body position. On your last pic, draw an imaginary line that splits your bike in half (or hold the edge of a piece of paper up to the screen). Notice that your head is on the high side of the imaginary line. Like Dem said, you can work on putting your chin right over your inside hand. That will pull your whole body down into the turn. If you practice on the street, you should be able to see your face in the low mirror if you are in the right position.

I also thing you have your feet out too far. You will hear people say to put your foot on the outside edge of the peg and use it as a pivot. I don't like doing that becasue it sticks my toes out too far, even with rearsets. I ride on my toes, but I also pull my feet in as close to the bike as I can.

Generally you look pretty good though. There are always little thigns to play with.
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 09:50 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Some good posts here!

But also, don't worry about getting your elbows up. Sure it's good if you can but that's a tough thing to do unless you're been dirt riding for a long time. Just as long as they aren't restricting you, then you are ok.

Also, don't worry about the knee, it's really out there.Don't worry about getting it out.

"at 8k i often get the tire to slip a bit(kinda like stoner in motogp) when i start to get on the throttle"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page