Willow Springs? - 600RR.net
Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 293
Thanks: 20
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Question Willow Springs?

I did quite a few trackdays at Willow Springs back in the early 2000's. I really liked the track back then and I didn't have a problem driving all the way down from Los Gatos to attend them. I like the track, it's fast and seems to flow pretty well. Then someone mentioned Buttonwillow, which was cheaper and closer to the Bay Area, so I started going there. Even though IMHO it's not as good of a track.

Recently, I watched a clip of someone at Willow and the track looked like sh!t. Cracked pavement, broken curbing....Are there any plans to repave and improve the facility? Thunderhill just underwent a major renovation and the track is phenominal. Smooth pavement, large covered staging areas, landscaping....it's really nice.

I would think with the popularity of trackdays for cars and bikes these tracks would all start to improve, especially Willow Springs. There's such history there, and it's such a great track. It really needs some work.

Any thoughts?
Deftone is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 01:25 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
TPapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Culver City, CA
Posts: 918
Images: 25
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I don't think there are any plans to fix up Willow but they need to do something about the runoff areas. I'm convinced if there were proper runoff at the track I wouldn't have broken my collarbone in May. The runoff is terrible with the hard packed dirt, rocks and drainage ditches running all over the place. The track surface is fine but it's the runoff that really kills it.

"Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside." - Valentino Rossi

“Now I can say my morale is reasonably high because I've discovered I have a great rapport with morphine!” he joked, adding “I hope nobody wins!” when asked about the race. - V. Rossi


WSMC/WERA #850
2007 600rr gray/orange





TPapp is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 293
Thanks: 20
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPapp View Post
I don't think there are any plans to fix up Willow but they need to do something about the runoff areas. I'm convinced if there were proper runoff at the track I wouldn't have broken my collarbone in May. The runoff is terrible with the hard packed dirt, rocks and drainage ditches running all over the place. The track surface is fine but it's the runoff that really kills it.
Yea, I think that might have been your vid I was watching? You were way out front? The surface looked pretty cracked up. I remember it being a place you really can't run off track....it's just too rough.

It's too bad. It's one of the few (only?) tracks in Cali that has it's own race series. And like I said earlier, it's a great track with great history. Someone should step in and sponser that place like Mazda did with Seca or Infineon did with Sears Point. You wouldn't think it be a problem with it's proximity to LA and how much use it gets.
Deftone is offline  
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 04:45 PM
08LVR
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPapp View Post
I don't think there are any plans to fix up Willow but they need to do something about the runoff areas. I'm convinced if there were proper runoff at the track I wouldn't have broken my collarbone in May. The runoff is terrible with the hard packed dirt, rocks and drainage ditches running all over the place. The track surface is fine but it's the runoff that really kills it.

I agree. Buttonwillow suxx!!! they need to budget and fix that sh!t!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 07:16 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
TPapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Culver City, CA
Posts: 918
Images: 25
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftone View Post
Yea, I think that might have been your vid I was watching? You were way out front? The surface looked pretty cracked up. I remember it being a place you really can't run off track....it's just too rough.

It's too bad. It's one of the few (only?) tracks in Cali that has it's own race series. And like I said earlier, it's a great track with great history. Someone should step in and sponser that place like Mazda did with Seca or Infineon did with Sears Point. You wouldn't think it be a problem with it's proximity to LA and how much use it gets.
Yeah that was me.

The track surface isn't that bad. Toyota sponsors the track. My theory is that since the track is booked all the time the owner just doesn't want to shut it down for long enough to redo the run off since he'd be losing a lot of money.

"Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside." - Valentino Rossi

“Now I can say my morale is reasonably high because I've discovered I have a great rapport with morphine!” he joked, adding “I hope nobody wins!” when asked about the race. - V. Rossi


WSMC/WERA #850
2007 600rr gray/orange





TPapp is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 12:55 AM
Moto GP Racer
 
cling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: SoCalifornia
Posts: 3,375
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by LADY_RR View Post
I agree. Buttonwillow suxx!!! they need to budget and fix that sh!t!
Buttonwillow is fine in my opinion, especially compared to Streets of willow. The only problem area of interest at Buttonwillow is a few bumps in the back esses, so I am not sure why people think its so bad? It seems that both tracks would benefit greatly from owners that actually gave a damn about their surfaces though... quit with the crap patchwork and repave the damn track. The track owners make thousand upon thousands of dollars per weekend and yet nothing ever seems to get done. Buttonwilow has hands down better facilities though.. I absolutely DREAD having to use the restroom at willow springs.
cling is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 01:19 AM
Lifetime Premium
 
TPapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Culver City, CA
Posts: 918
Images: 25
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by cling View Post
I absolutely DREAD having to use the restroom at willow springs.
What, you don't like entering the House of Charmin?

"Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside." - Valentino Rossi

“Now I can say my morale is reasonably high because I've discovered I have a great rapport with morphine!” he joked, adding “I hope nobody wins!” when asked about the race. - V. Rossi


WSMC/WERA #850
2007 600rr gray/orange





TPapp is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 01:47 AM
cyclesector.com

 
Disco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 13,432
Images: 31
Thanks: 5
Thanked 224 Times in 168 Posts
Feedback Score: 85 reviews
I'll be at Streets this coming weekend

Disco is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 293
Thanks: 20
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPapp View Post
Yeah that was me.



The track surface isn't that bad. Toyota sponsors the track. My theory is that since the track is booked all the time the owner just doesn't want to shut it down for long enough to redo the run off since he'd be losing a lot of money.

1st off....you were rippin'! 2nd, you may have a good theory there. But it can't last forever and they'll have to stop and make improvements sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cling View Post
Buttonwillow is fine in my opinion, especially compared to Streets of willow. The only problem area of interest at Buttonwillow is a few bumps in the back esses, so I am not sure why people think its so bad? It seems that both tracks would benefit greatly from owners that actually gave a damn about their surfaces though... quit with the crap patchwork and repave the damn track. The track owners make thousand upon thousands of dollars per weekend and yet nothing ever seems to get done. Buttonwilow has hands down better facilities though.. I absolutely DREAD having to use the restroom at willow springs.
Well the prices can't be beat at Butt-h*le-willow, that's for sure. But after riding Seca and T-hill it looks pretty [email protected]

Last edited by Deftone; 08-02-2010 at 02:49 PM.
Deftone is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome